pixeltracker

Mame on DVD 19th June 07 - Updated with link to images- Page 2

Mame on DVD 19th June 07 - Updated with link to images

#25re: Mame on DVD 19th June 07
Posted: 3/5/07 at 6:27pm

Sorry Sonia, you are correct! The site had misquoted her-- Wikipedia has it right (as did you)- the Review was "Pro-Lucy, Anti-Mame!"

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#26re: Mame on DVD 19th June 07
Posted: 3/5/07 at 6:43pm

Ah, Mame. Lucy's very phony smiles in the chorus numbers, her dreadful singing, what more could you want in a motion picture?

Auggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
#27re: Mame on DVD 19th June 07
Posted: 3/5/07 at 9:07pm

John Simon and others have also noted the contradictions in the character. She's defined as a big hearted, tolerent beyond her times sage who spouts "live, live, live!" but that philosophy is also blended in with her own bizarre take on class warfare. She always has to have "servants" to tend to her 24/7 needs, even when she cannot pay then, and even though she's kind to them, she is also patronizing and in her own way, bourgeois. It's supposed to be cute that this lady in gilt clothes cannot sell roller skates, but you never sense that she would appreciate a person who otherwise -- not in the depression - sells things for a living.

What if Patrick wanted to MARRY a maid -- or more realistically, a butler? Would she be so generous as she is toward the slick and in her own way, very limited Pegeen?

Yes, she appreciates all things bohemian, but she's a snob, too, and lives on the East Side and needs big cars, expensive clothes, and non-stop adoration. Let's face it, for all her "fun" and new window opening chatter, she's a flaming narcissist. Yeah, if you met her at a party, she might wear you out.

"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling
Updated On: 3/5/07 at 09:07 PM

Dark_Angel Profile Photo
Dark_Angel
#28re: Mame on DVD 19th June 07
Posted: 3/5/07 at 9:40pm

Great! This is going on the shelf sandwiched somewhere in-between "Mommie Dearest", "Valley of the Dolls" and "Beyond the Valley of the Dolls"

Luvinbroadway Profile Photo
Luvinbroadway
#29re: Mame on DVD 19th June 07
Posted: 3/5/07 at 10:36pm

Guilty pleasure of mine!

philcrosby
#30re: Mame on DVD 19th June 07
Posted: 3/7/07 at 8:41am

It's like watching a car accident or train wreck, you just can't take your eyes off it. From Lucy's blurred close-ups to Bea Arthur's hideous mannish wardrobe, to that freaky mask Lucy wears during "We Need a Little Christmas."

That said, Robert Preston and "Loving You" are a delight and the staging of "If He Walked Into My Life" really works well.

And Lucy not only put a lot her own money into the film, it simply would not have gotten made without her name attached.

madbrian Profile Photo
madbrian
#31re: Mame on DVD 19th June 07
Posted: 3/7/07 at 8:51am

As disappointing as this movie is, I can't see myself not getting it. I do recall seeing it in Radio City way back when. The vaseline effect on TV is nothing compared to seeing it on the huge screen at the music hall. And though I'll own this, I'll continue to watch Rosalind Russell in Auntie Mame, one of ny favorite movies ever.

"It does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are 20 gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket, nor breaks my leg." -- Thomas Jefferson

spiderdj82 Profile Photo
spiderdj82
#32re: Mame on DVD 19th June 07
Posted: 3/7/07 at 9:29am

SUCH a guilty pleasure of mine and I will be getting it.

"They're eating her and then they're going to eat me. OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!" -Troll 2

doodlenyc Profile Photo
doodlenyc
#33re: Mame on DVD 19th June 07
Posted: 3/7/07 at 9:56am

"I'm simply DRIPPING with oil!"

"Carson has combined his passion for helping children with his love for one of Cincinnati's favorite past times - cornhole - to create a unique and exciting event perfect for a corporate outing, entertaining clients or family fun."

"In Oz, the verb is douchifizzation." PRS

WalkOn
#34re: Mame on DVD 19th June 07
Posted: 3/7/07 at 2:33pm

BOSOM BUDDIES is one of the all time great battles of the baritones.

Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart; and you'll never walk alone.

nealb1 Profile Photo
nealb1
#35re: Mame on DVD 19th June 07
Posted: 3/7/07 at 3:00pm

The entire score is filled with show stopping songs and production numbers. The title number, alone, is well worth the price of admission.

#36re: Mame on DVD 19th June 07
Posted: 3/7/07 at 3:07pm

I think all you flaming bitches have had enough time to try to be funny, let's delete the thread.

#37re: Mame on DVD 19th June 07
Posted: 3/7/07 at 3:19pm

Doesn't Mame serve "Flaming Bitches" at the Upson's cocktail party?

Bobo2
#38re: Mame on DVD 19th June 07
Posted: 3/7/07 at 5:19pm

Is you have the video do you think it is worth it to get the DVD?

I'm such a bobo.

Piercemn Profile Photo
Piercemn
#39re: Mame on DVD 19th June 07
Posted: 3/7/07 at 7:28pm

The fact that Mame is an horrendous movie isn't Lucy's fault. I blame Paul Zindel's script, which destroyed the brilliance that Lawrence, Lee, Comden and Green brought to it in the stage and first screen versions. I blame Gene Saks, whose direction is a massive mistake, with no genuine affection for the material, or desire to make it look terrific on screen. I blame the hideous costumes, the smart ass acting of Bruce Davidson as Patrick, and the deadly pace of the thing.

I think Lucy would have been a marvelous Mame had she been directed better. Saks had no business directing a movie musical any more than Prince should have directed A Little Night Music.

There's been talk of remaking Mame, and it needs a remake, with much of the original script restored and a woman who's got some life as Mame. I still think Raquel Welch or Ann Margret could do it. I've hard that Cher's supposed to do it and that Glenn Close turned it down. We'll just have to see what happens.

NYC Visitor and Broadway Fan

#40re: Mame on DVD 19th June 07
Posted: 3/8/07 at 2:20pm

Vilmos Zsigmond was not the cinematographer on "Mame"--Phillip Lathrop was. I'm not sure whether your entire post is false or whether you simply got Lathrop mixed up with another famous cinematographer.

MTVMANN Profile Photo
MTVMANN
#41re: Mame on DVD 19th June 07
Posted: 3/8/07 at 2:49pm

I could not find this on Amazon.com

Paulyd Profile Photo
Paulyd
#42re: Mame on DVD 19th June 07
Posted: 3/8/07 at 3:07pm

The site that produced this material is usually way ahead of Amazon. I'd expect it on there within the next couple of weeks.

#43re: Mame on DVD 19th June 07
Posted: 3/8/07 at 3:37pm

How can the script be the problem-- it is all but a word-for-word copy of the Stage version.

nealb1 Profile Photo
nealb1
#44re: Mame on DVD 19th June 07
Posted: 3/10/07 at 12:18pm

It's too bad that the dvd doesn't have any more extras on it? When "Mame" had it's Hollywood Premiere back in April of 1974, "The Merv Griffin Show" did an entire episode at the premiere........interviewing the stars, etc. It's too bad that isn't on the dvd.

I'm sure that the Warner Bros. vaults are filled with more "Mame" stuff.......deleted scenes, alternate takes, etc.

Down Under in Aust. the tv version of "Mame" that airs there, is different from the theatrical version. There are different takes, camera angles, etc.... That would be something if that version ever came out on dvd.

Julian2
#45re: Mame on DVD 19th June 07
Posted: 3/10/07 at 4:10pm

"How can the script be the problem-- it is all but a word-for-word copy of the Stage version."

In this case, it seems that what's good for goose ain't good for the gander.

I have several names, one is Julian2. I am also The Opps Girl. But cross me, and I become Bitch Dooku!

Dark_Angel Profile Photo
Dark_Angel
#46re: Mame on DVD 19th June 07
Posted: 3/10/07 at 4:20pm

Within the synopsis for the Mame DVD it states:

"Jerry Herman’s songs, from It’s Today to We Need a Little Christmas and If He Walked into My Life, rank among the best show tunes ever."

Not after Lucille gets her hands on them they're not!

nealb1 Profile Photo
nealb1
#47re: Mame on DVD 19th June 07
Posted: 3/28/07 at 11:19pm

Amazon and Barnes & Noble, as well as Best Buy has "Mame" up all ready for pre-sale. YAY!!!

nealb1 Profile Photo
nealb1
#48re: Mame on DVD 19th June 07
Posted: 4/15/07 at 6:06pm

Barnes & Noble has pics on it's site of the front and the back cover of the dvd. There's only 2 special features....a featurette called "Lucky Mame" and the original theatrical trailer.

Has anyone ever seen the the featurette, "Lucky Mame" before?

Too bad that there isn't more extras on the dvd. When "Mame" has it's Hollywood Premiere at The Cinerama Dome in Hollywood, Merv Griffin hosted his nightly show there. That sure would be something to see that again. I have the film on video from one of it's first tv airings. There are alternate lines...taking out some of the curse words.

"Down under" in Aust. the version of "Mame" there has different takes, different angles, as well.

JsnWse
#49re: Mame on DVD 19th June 07
Posted: 4/15/07 at 6:16pm

Just when I thought we could all completely forget this even happened...

Videos