pixeltracker

Stokes, Ebersole, Esparza to Guest at Spelling Bee's Broadway Night- Page 2

Stokes, Ebersole, Esparza to Guest at Spelling Bee's Broadway Night

BandNerd
#25re: Stokes, Ebersole, Esparza to Guest at Spelling Bee's Broadway Night
Posted: 3/15/07 at 6:37pm

Well, I already bought a ticket, but I'll help anyone with lotto... :)

broadwaybaby086
#26re: Stokes, Ebersole, Esparza to Guest at Spelling Bee's Broadway Night
Posted: 3/15/07 at 7:34pm

Man, no more Christine? That definitely makes my decision whether or not to go much easier.

"I'll cut you, Tracee Beazer!!!! ...Just kidding. I'd never cut anyone." -Tina Maddigan, 9/30/06, WS stage door
Avatar: JULIE "EFFING" WHITE, 2007 TONY WINNER. Thank God. I'm thinking about legally changing my name to Lizzie Curry...

bwaygal1 Profile Photo
bwaygal1
#28re: Stokes, Ebersole, Esparza to Guest at Spelling Bee's Broadway Night
Posted: 3/15/07 at 8:00pm

I wonder why she's not doing it anymore. That's too bad. It sounded like a terrific idea to put her in.

"A birdcage I plan to hang. I'll get to that someday. A birdcage for a bird who flew away...Around the world." "Life is a cabaret old chum, only a cabaret old chum, and I love a cabaret!"-RIP Natasha Richardson-I was honored to have witnessed her performance as Sally Bowles.

liotte Profile Photo
liotte
#29re: Stokes, Ebersole, Esparza to Guest at Spelling Bee's Broadway Night
Posted: 3/15/07 at 11:47pm

Oooh! Lea Salonga!

I'm excited!!

miss pennywise Profile Photo
miss pennywise
#30re: Stokes, Ebersole, Esparza to Guest at Spelling Bee's Broadway Night
Posted: 3/15/07 at 11:53pm

I only wanted to go to see Christine! re: Stokes, Ebersole, Esparza to Guest at Spelling Bee's Broadway Night

"Be on your guard! Jerks on the loose!"

http://www.roches.com/television/ss83kod.html

"If any relationship involves a flow chart, get out of it...FAST!"

~ Best12Bars

Jellylorum Profile Photo
Jellylorum
#31re: Stokes, Ebersole, Esparza to Guest at Spelling Bee's Broadway Night
Posted: 3/16/07 at 12:07am

Me too. I was mad that my spring break ended a week before the Spelling Bee performance, but I don't feel as bad anymore now that Christine isn't going to be in it.

"It's a goddamn beautiful day, shut up!"

liotte Profile Photo
liotte
#32re: Stokes, Ebersole, Esparza to Guest at Spelling Bee's Broadway Night
Posted: 3/16/07 at 12:17am

Since I have not yet seen Grey Gardens, this doesn't really upset me so much.

And I'm much happier seeing the regular Bee cast than a special guest any day!!

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#33re: Stokes, Ebersole, Esparza to Guest at Spelling Bee's Broadway Night
Posted: 3/16/07 at 12:20am

I think I'm actually most excited to see Stokes if I get to go. It's been such a long time since I last saw him on stage. Seeing Raúl will no doubt be funny, though. re: Stokes, Ebersole, Esparza to Guest at Spelling Bee's Broadway Night

A work of art is an invitation to love.

BroadwayChica Profile Photo
BroadwayChica
#34re: Stokes, Ebersole, Esparza to Guest at Spelling Bee's Broadway Night
Posted: 3/16/07 at 12:53am

I'm totally stoked to see Stokes.

People, it's been a long day. I'm tired. Forgive that lame comment. Please.

luvtheEmcee
#36re: Stokes, Ebersole, Esparza to Guest at Spelling Bee's Broadway Night
Posted: 3/16/07 at 1:22pm

Esparza missed this past Wednesday's matinee because he's currently involved in a workshop. It had nothing to do with Spelling Bee.

Updated On: 3/16/07 at 01:22 PM

Fantabulous428 Profile Photo
Fantabulous428
#37re: Stokes, Ebersole, Esparza to Guest at Spelling Bee's Broadway Night
Posted: 3/16/07 at 1:23pm

Being a guest speller doesn't require any additional rehearsal. Normally, regular audience members are the ones to do it.

I recognize the addiction to being alive.

Brit-ta-nee
#39re: Stokes, Ebersole, Esparza to Guest at Spelling Bee's Broadway Night
Posted: 3/16/07 at 1:33pm

I'm so sad, I wish I could go but since I am in California that's not going to happen, I love Raúl Esparza. Whoever goes please give details?

Luckydave14
#40re: Stokes, Ebersole, Esparza to Guest at Spelling Bee's Broadway Night
Posted: 3/16/07 at 8:00pm

This performance is now on TDF

ken8631 Profile Photo
ken8631
#41re: Stokes, Ebersole, Esparza to Guest at Spelling Bee's Broadway Night
Posted: 3/18/07 at 9:47am

We'll be there tonight - wife a big Raul fan, I like Lea.... Would have been great if Celia was there too!

Ken

luvtheEmcee
#42re: Stokes, Ebersole, Esparza to Guest at Spelling Bee's Broadway Night
Posted: 3/18/07 at 11:05am

I'm definitely going. Yay. re: Stokes, Ebersole, Esparza to Guest at Spelling Bee's Broadway Night

luvtheEmcee
#43re: Stokes, Ebersole, Esparza to Guest at Spelling Bee's Broadway Night
Posted: 3/18/07 at 10:43pm

I'm really glad I went! I hadn't seen Bee since a very early preview off-Broadway, and going back was one of those things I always meant to do, but never seemed to get around to -- so tonight was a good reason to finally go back. I don't remember enough to know how much changed other than the most obvious, which is that there was an intermission when I last saw it.

I had forgotten how funny it was, and it was certainly funnier this time, largely to the credit of the special performance. It's really an enjoyable little show; I think I liked it better this time. It's much tighter than I remember it being. The replacements are all great, and I was grateful for one more chance to see the remaining OBC members. Leaf is my favorite character, so I was glad to see Barrett live up to the high standard JTF set.

"Broadway Night" was full of some much-needed laughs, and I can't say it was anything short of hilarious. The first speller out was the audience member. Raúl was second. He messed up his first word -- forgetting the "t" in "dystopia" -- but he seemed like he was actually really nervous. I was disappointed to see him go so soon because I wanted to hear the rest of the jokes the cast had up their sleeves about him (and to see him do the dance), but the one they did make about Taco Bell and Chitty Chitty Bang Bang was very funny. Lea was eliminated next; she correctly spelled "helicopter," but messed up the name of an Asian... frog, I think it was. Stokes was last and got a "random lightning round," because they had to get him out of there. It was great to see him on stage again. I got to meet him, too, which I've been wanting to do since I was a little kid. re: Stokes, Ebersole, Esparza to Guest at Spelling Bee's Broadway Night

Logainne gave a great speech about Hollywood actors on Broadway, there was a joke about Actors' Equity, Rosie O'Donnell's dressing room... the audience was great, and it was really fun to see some of my favorite performers participate in the show and have to do silly things. They looked like they were having a good time. re: Stokes, Ebersole, Esparza to Guest at Spelling Bee's Broadway Night

Updated On: 3/18/07 at 10:43 PM

BroadwayChica
#44re: Stokes, Ebersole, Esparza to Guest at Spelling Bee's Broadway Night
Posted: 3/18/07 at 10:51pm

That was a lot of fun.

Random: When they made everyone get up as Leaf's "family", and Leaf announced he had gotten into the Bee, Raul went "Yay!" and then sort of grinned with embarassment. It was adorable.

liotte Profile Photo
liotte
BandNerd
#46re: Stokes, Ebersole, Esparza to Guest at Spelling Bee's Broadway Night
Posted: 3/18/07 at 10:59pm

Emcee- Raul really did look nervous...

It was a great show, though. It was the first time that I saw the show from someplace other than the student rush seats. Updated On: 3/18/07 at 10:59 PM

luvtheEmcee
#47re: Stokes, Ebersole, Esparza to Guest at Spelling Bee's Broadway Night
Posted: 3/18/07 at 11:02pm

He looked like he was practically giddy until it was actually his turn to spell. I suppose he could have been acting nerves, but I felt bad for him! I guess it can be uncomfortable to sort of... "play" yourself. I wish he'd been in for longer, but it was stil a great show!

BroadwayChica
#48re: Stokes, Ebersole, Esparza to Guest at Spelling Bee's Broadway Night
Posted: 3/18/07 at 11:07pm

I thought he looked nervous the whole time he was up there. Kinda like the shy kid at school. He did grin and nod, and play along, and laugh at all the jokes, like a good sport. But the impression I had was that he couldn't wait to be eliminated.

One of my favorite jokes of the night: "Brian Stokes Mitchell is our first speller whose name is a complete sentence"

That, and Lea Salonga had a line of underwear called "Flower Drum Thong"

luvtheEmcee
#49re: Stokes, Ebersole, Esparza to Guest at Spelling Bee's Broadway Night
Posted: 3/18/07 at 11:12pm

There was one point where he was laughing so hard that I thought he might fall off the bleacher. I do, however, find happily awkward one of the world's most adorable states. I got that impression too at times, to which I kind of figure... don't do it if you're going to wimp out. I guess if he really was that nervous, I can be understanding. I mean, I think the world of the guy, but... eh (and no, this isn't just because I wanted him to have more stage time, it's principle).

Stoooooookes. Oh my God, he's the best.

Updated On: 3/18/07 at 11:12 PM

liotte Profile Photo
liotte
#50re: Stokes, Ebersole, Esparza to Guest at Spelling Bee's Broadway Night
Posted: 3/18/07 at 11:27pm

emcee- PM me your email

Bal
#51re: Stokes, Ebersole, Esparza to Guest at Spelling Bee's Broadway Night
Posted: 3/18/07 at 11:28pm

Dystopia being equal to Rosie O'Donnell's dressing room.. I was like, "Ooooh, they went there..."

Jose Llana chucking candy at Lea was so cute.

In all, I am SO glad I went. I even shelled out neighty bucks for the special Broadway night poster.

Incidentally...Emcee, you were there? I had so wanted to meet you! I was int he second row of the bleachers, on the left, in the black-and-white houndstooth coat. Barrett Foa climbed on me and grabbed my head. re: Stokes, Ebersole, Esparza to Guest at Spelling Bee's Broadway Night

"Well, obviously Company is about the Kennedy family. Bobby is played by Raul, and JFK is played by Harvey Fierstein." -vfd88

Videos