pirate queen sinks

stephen3
#25re: pirate queen sinks
Posted: 3/24/07 at 12:00am

mominthecty, Thanks for giving the show a chance after reading about all the dislike for the show that appears here.
My point in the previous post(s) is that many people will read some of the abject negativity that appears here and won't bother to see the show for themselves to decide how they feel about it. Posting a commentary like "it sucks so stay away" without making an argument for WHY, sad as it is, will strike many as authority and will sign this shows (or any shows') death warrant all the faster.
The show deserves a life and deserves to be seen and heard, as it has many beautiful and worthy elements, in my opinion.
I am really pulling for this one and I know others are, too.

Lizzya9
#26re: pirate queen sinks
Posted: 3/24/07 at 12:05am

can someone tell me if the show is historically accurate or not? thanks = )

I wasn't trying to say "it's a bad show", I just don't think I want to see a musical about a cruel person that I can't relate to. I haven't seen it so I can't say whether it's good or not, I was just saying that "I'm guessing it's pretty bad", like in MY eyes, because I don't like how she was in history. I'm not trying to sway opinions here or anything, just stating a historical fact.

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#27re: pirate queen sinks
Posted: 3/24/07 at 12:10am

Your EYES have not seen it, it's your mind making those opinions.

The History is shaped to fit a Musical, as many shows have done.
She does not chop off her sons hands and push him and his bloody stumps off a boat.

courtnyj Profile Photo
courtnyj
#28re: pirate queen sinks
Posted: 3/24/07 at 12:12am

Well, they end the show when the kid is pretty young so...sure, maybe she still would chop off his hands in the musucal version if it had a third Act. re: pirate queen sinks

WellIfYouInsist
#29re: pirate queen sinks
Posted: 3/24/07 at 12:47am

Even lizzya9, whose cries for the lack of Ashley Brown-Tony-Nominations we will have to endure, doesn't think it will be good?

Wow.
I have to see this.

broadwaygem
#30re: pirate queen sinks
Posted: 3/24/07 at 1:13am

Updated On: 3/24/07 at 01:13 AM

broadwaygem
#31re: pirate queen sinks
Posted: 3/24/07 at 1:13am

Messages such as this make me ill....Why would someone bread such negativity and hatred for a piece of theatre? and moreover hope that a musical that employs many actors and crew fail? shame on you....voice opinions not hate....

Eos Profile Photo
Eos
#32re: pirate queen sinks
Posted: 3/24/07 at 2:35am

Lizzya9-
In the novel the show was based on, Grace O'Malley is portrayed as an adept sea captain, a fearless warrior and pirate, and a woman who would go to any lengths to look after her clan and protect her Irish traditions.
I saw the show in Chicago, and even given the changes I've read about on this board, sadly, only parts of that seem to come through in the musical. They seem to have chosen to focus more on the love story/Queen Elizabeth thing. I'm seeing it again in April, and am curious to see the changes.
So, no... not really that accurate. No chopping off hands in this one!

The Overture is part of the show, people. Please shut your pie hole.

danhattan
#33re: pirate queen sinks
Posted: 3/24/07 at 4:48am

Please do not let posts like this just slip by! "Theatrebiz" JUST joined Broadwayworld and his only two posts are about THE PIRATE QUEEN sinking. He obviously wants to damage the show in some way. It's truly pathetic. It's also obvious to me that with his REPLY TO HIMSELF...he probably thought he signed out and logged on to his OTHER account just to agree with himself. He's either an out of work actor OR in a competing show. If your gonna join a Broadway Message Board wouldn't you do it out of the LOVE for theatre? Who creates a screenname just to spread negativity and then AGREES with himself in the very next post. Pathetic Pathetic Pathetic.

And let me just say...I am absolutely fine with people seeing this show and not liking it. Everyone is certainly entitled to their own opinion so it certainly has nothing to do with that. It's just obvious that this poster has other motives.

Updated On: 3/24/07 at 04:48 AM

danhattan
#34re: pirate queen sinks
Posted: 3/24/07 at 4:49am

I totally agree with you DANHATTAN! Couldn't have put it better myself!

LMAO

WordedGrace Profile Photo
WordedGrace
#35re: pirate queen sinks
Posted: 3/24/07 at 4:52am

I always love how when people express their opinions on this show sucking others are quick to jump with the personal attacks. Ladies and gents, if you love the show great, and if you didn't oh well the world's not going to end either way. Yes, this show isn't what it's hyped up to be. I've made my opinions known throughout these boards but after being dragged a fourth time!!! I still have the same opinion but I don't jump on people for liking it... I don't hate it anymore.. I just wish they played more to accuracy versus the comedic take of Queen Elizabeth among other blaring things. But, this is the state of theatre right now...you gotta do what gets the butts in the seats. Big, loud, and drawn out storyline..oh wait there's no story.. Play nice and be treated nice I say!

I'm not gonna hate you in the magazines, (I'm better than that) I'm not gonna compromise my Christianity, (I'm better than that) You know I'm not gonna diss you on the Internet Cause my momma taught me better than that.

danhattan
#36re: pirate queen sinks
Posted: 3/24/07 at 4:56am

WordedGrace- Did you not read my last paragraph.

"And let me just say...I am absolutely fine with people seeing this show and not liking it. Everyone is certainly entitled to their own opinion so it certainly has nothing to do with that. It's just obvious that this poster has other motives."

Bwayfan4
#37re: pirate queen sinks
Posted: 3/24/07 at 7:56am

Good point, danhattan. (Love the name by the way)

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#38re: pirate queen sinks
Posted: 3/24/07 at 9:09am

Note:

The real Titanic sank. In the show, they never showed the ship actually sinking. They tried it in previews & it did not work.

We will see it Easter Sunday & will decide than. If it is bad, throw in a few vampires or Count Orlock himself to jazz it up. Vampire Pirates yes

Poster Emeritus
Updated On: 3/24/07 at 09:09 AM

WickedGeek28 Profile Photo
WickedGeek28
#39re: pirate queen sinks
Posted: 3/24/07 at 9:16am

Did someone really insult with an SAT joke? God this feels like junior year of High School all over again!

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view - until you climb into his skin and walk around in it."
To Kill A Mockingbird

SueleenGay Profile Photo
SueleenGay
#40re: pirate queen sinks
Posted: 3/24/07 at 9:54am

But why would you want to shell out top dollar for a show that everyone seems to agree is never going to be anymore than just "good"?

Did it ever occur to anyone that with all the money being thrown at this show a few of those dollars were thrown at some plants in the audience to get the crowd riled up and on it's feet?

PEACE.
Updated On: 3/24/07 at 09:54 AM

Lizzya9
#41re: pirate queen sinks
Posted: 3/24/07 at 10:32am

Sueleen I LOVE your avatar!!! hehehehe

Mattbrain
#42re: pirate queen sinks
Posted: 3/24/07 at 11:13am

"We will see it Easter Sunday & will decide than. If it is bad, throw in a few vampires or Count Orlock himself to jazz it up. Vampire Pirates yes"

Oh, then they could insert Sail Me Away into the show (which is a song I actually like).

Butters, go buy World of Warcraft, install it on your computer, and join the online sensation before we all murder you. --Cartman: South Park ATTENTION FANS: I will be played by James Barbour in the upcoming musical, "BroadwayWorld: The Musical."

rentgal589
#43re: pirate queen sinks
Posted: 3/24/07 at 2:06pm

Yeah, Suleen. I luv the avatar. This is so off-topic to Pirate queen, but does anyone know who that girl was??

Rentgal589 is soon to be under new management.

WordedGrace Profile Photo
WordedGrace
#44re: pirate queen sinks
Posted: 3/24/07 at 3:11pm

Danhattan, rarely do I engage people personally when they make comments to things I've said. I was saying that as a general statement that everyone is entitled to his or own opinion. If someone starts a thread about not liking a show..suspect as a double post of it maybe it seems people are so quick to create more drama by acting like a bunch of kids wanting to pee in a crowded bathroom.. GEEZ!

I'm not gonna hate you in the magazines, (I'm better than that) I'm not gonna compromise my Christianity, (I'm better than that) You know I'm not gonna diss you on the Internet Cause my momma taught me better than that.

Lady Italy Profile Photo
Lady Italy
#45re: pirate queen sinks
Posted: 3/24/07 at 4:37pm

3 Cheers for all of Stephan3 comments...what I have been saying all along!!!!

Lady Italy Profile Photo
Lady Italy
#46re: pirate queen sinks
Posted: 3/24/07 at 4:54pm

SueleenGay~

I agree with you that everyone is entitled to their opinion. So, please DO NOT GENERALIZE when you say everyone says this is bad (or whatever you comment was to that effect). EVERYONE is a term that takes in the planet. I do not believe that EVERYONE is negative to the PQ. I feel that perhaps, at best, there may be a bit more than a handful who feel as you do.

SueleenGay Profile Photo
SueleenGay
#47re: pirate queen sinks
Posted: 3/24/07 at 4:59pm

I did not say the everyone says it sucks. Read my post again. I have yet to see a post that has said this show is GREAT or PERFECT!

PEACE.

songanddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
#48re: pirate queen sinks
Posted: 3/24/07 at 11:38pm

I have seen the chicago version and the broadway version and have to agree that this show is a dud.

Sure it has some good moments in but so did many of the biggest flop musicals around.

The show just doesn't seem to go anywhere , its a shame because when i heard about this project i was pretty excited.

The cast are all great and i wish them all the best as they give there blood sweat and tears in this.

May they all go on to better projects as well as the crew.

In my opinion it should have not bothered with opening on Broadway it should have closed out of town.

But this is just my opinion and i respect everyones who liked it .

Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna

Phantom2 Profile Photo
Phantom2
#49re: pirate queen sinks
Posted: 3/24/07 at 11:39pm

Tell us how you really feel.

"I'm learning to dig deep down inside and find the truth within myself and put that out. I think what we identify with in popular music more than anything else is when someone just shares a truth that we can relate to. That's what I'm searching for in my music." - Ron Bohmer

"I broke the boundaries. It wasn't cool to be in plays- especially if you were in sports & I was in both." - Ashton Kutcher

Videos