pixeltracker

DON'T YOU PEOPLE GET IT. YES THIS IS MY RANT ABOUT THE STRIKE- Page 2

DON'T YOU PEOPLE GET IT. YES THIS IS MY RANT ABOUT THE STRIKE

jrb_actor Profile Photo
jrb_actor
#25re: DON'T YOU PEOPLE GET IT. YES THIS IS MY RANT ABOUT THE STRIKE
Posted: 11/11/07 at 9:41pm

I realize how that would suck. But ultimately, everyone will be fine and dandy.

The rest of us are going to be having the hard candy Christmas.

BroadwayBound86 Profile Photo
BroadwayBound86
#26re: DON'T YOU PEOPLE GET IT. YES THIS IS MY RANT ABOUT THE STRIKE
Posted: 11/11/07 at 9:43pm

Fair enough. But there are people with non-refundable airline tickets and non-refundable hotel deposits.

I haven't flown in quite some time but perhaps try and exchange them for a different date. Technically then you aren't asking for a refund. Possibly explaining the situation at hand they may be helpful to you given the circumstance.

cooperross Profile Photo
cooperross
#27re: DON'T YOU PEOPLE GET IT. YES THIS IS MY RANT ABOUT THE STRIKE
Posted: 11/11/07 at 9:47pm

[quote] It's New York City, for chrissakes. Would it kill them to explore the city? Go to a museum? See an off broadway show?

this may come as a shock to you but some of us plan our vacations months in advance around coming to see particular shows and particular performers in those shows.

We do also explore other things and see other shows, but to spend thousands of dollars on plane tickets and hotels that we cannot get most refunded isn't small potatoes.

And some of us make these plans annually for a several visits for at least 2 weeks at a time annually. And we cannot just "not come and reschedule" as we too have jobs that do not allow us to change plans at the last minute on the whims of greedy asses.

-Politics is like driving. To go backward, put it in R. To go forward, put it in D.

NYC_or_Bust Profile Photo
NYC_or_Bust
#28re: DON'T YOU PEOPLE GET IT. YES THIS IS MY RANT ABOUT THE STRIKE
Posted: 11/11/07 at 9:48pm

CJR...wait?! There's more to do in NYC than just Broadway Shows?

I adore the black band holding on the Phantom's mask. ~ Jenna2

cooperross Profile Photo
cooperross
#29re: DON'T YOU PEOPLE GET IT. YES THIS IS MY RANT ABOUT THE STRIKE
Posted: 11/11/07 at 9:49pm

BroadwayBound86 most airfares these days are not only non-refundable but if you try to reschedule it can quite often coast as much as the ticket itself in fees to do so.

-Politics is like driving. To go backward, put it in R. To go forward, put it in D.

CJR
#30re: DON'T YOU PEOPLE GET IT. YES THIS IS MY RANT ABOUT THE STRIKE
Posted: 11/11/07 at 9:50pm

this may come as a shock to you but some of us plan our vacations months in advance around coming to see particular shows and particular performers in those shows.

We do also explore other things and see other shows, but to spend thousands of dollars on plane tickets and hotels that we cannot get most refunded isn't small potatoes.

And some of us make these plans annually for a several visits for at least 2 weeks at a time annually. And we cannot just "not come and reschedule" as we too have jobs that do not allow us to change plans at the last minute on the whims of greedy asses.

I can appreciate that, but it's not as if there is absolutely NOTHING to do besides see whatever show you had tickets to. Yeah, it sucks. I live here, I can go see it again whenever. Maybe you can't. I get that and for THAT I am not unsympathetic. It's just that the original poster made it seem like it was the end of the world. As jerby said, everyone who's out of work and affected by this strike is losing a lot more than the tourists who have to get a refund on their theatre tickets.

"You're every gay man's wet dream!" ~ MA

If in Heaven you don't excel, you can always party down in hell...

Updated On: 11/11/07 at 09:50 PM

NYC_or_Bust
#31re: DON'T YOU PEOPLE GET IT. YES THIS IS MY RANT ABOUT THE STRIKE
Posted: 11/11/07 at 9:52pm

Cooperross.....for someone to put thousands of dollars into getting there, and shows, and what not, you should keep in mind that without these "greedy asses" your shows wouldn't run at all.

CJR
#32re: DON'T YOU PEOPLE GET IT. YES THIS IS MY RANT ABOUT THE STRIKE
Posted: 11/11/07 at 9:53pm

NYC_or_Bust, thank you for saying what I didn't want to. I didn't feel like being too much of a bitch tonight.

DoranC
#33re: DON'T YOU PEOPLE GET IT. YES THIS IS MY RANT ABOUT THE STRIKE
Posted: 11/11/07 at 9:54pm

"It's New York City, for chrissakes. Would it kill them to explore the city? Go to a museum? See an off broadway show?"

Don't curse at people. I'm talking about people that aren't yet in NYC. People that have tickets for the coming week(s). Why should they get on that plane and go to NYC if their reason for booking the trip in the first place was to see a particular show? Who the heck are you to tell people what they should or shouldn't spend their money/time on? Maybe they'd prefer to go back later when that show (maybe???) is back on. But how can one make such a decision when they may get stuck with more non-refundables.

I was responding to one particular comment that made it sound like EVERYTHING is so very refunable to everybody, when it is NOT!!!!

CJR
#34re: DON'T YOU PEOPLE GET IT. YES THIS IS MY RANT ABOUT THE STRIKE
Posted: 11/11/07 at 9:58pm

Nobody said airfare and hotels were refundable. But with that being the case if the strike ISNT resolved when some people have tickets to come here, there are a million other things they could do. Why swallow all those fees and not come, when you can take your ticket refund and make the most of it? Yeah it sucks that you don't get to see the show you wanted to see and maybe planned your trip to see, but it isnt the end of the world. NY is one of the greatest cities in the world -- why not explore it?

And ps, definitely WASNT swearing. Im just so agitated by all the patrons who have no real respect for what's going on here. Do you all not realize that local one truly makes your show possible?

Updated On: 11/11/07 at 09:58 PM

DoranC
#35re: DON'T YOU PEOPLE GET IT. YES THIS IS MY RANT ABOUT THE STRIKE
Posted: 11/11/07 at 10:13pm

The point, CJR, is I'm not looking for advice. I don't need travel advice. You claimed that I was acting like it's the end of the world, which I absolutely was not. I don't have tickets for the coming weeks. I very matter of factly stated that there are non-refundable elements of booking a trip to see Broadway -- to which you somehow thought it necessary to curse and play travel agent.

I understand that this must be tough for those involved. But this is after all a board usuually devoted to talking about Broadway shows; it's hardly surprising it's now being used as a venting board for those upset or worried that they didn't/won't see those shows.

NYC_or_Bust
#36re: DON'T YOU PEOPLE GET IT. YES THIS IS MY RANT ABOUT THE STRIKE
Posted: 11/11/07 at 10:16pm

If you're putting so much money into what now, you're aware is a risky vacation....might I suggest, Disney World, or Branson, Missouri? In any case, I totally agree with CJR, there's a whole world of NYC outside of the Theatre district, and even theatre related, why not check out and OFF Broadway show?

cooperross Profile Photo
cooperross
#37re: DON'T YOU PEOPLE GET IT. YES THIS IS MY RANT ABOUT THE STRIKE
Posted: 11/11/07 at 10:25pm

the point is it wasn't a "risky vacation" when we made plans and bought tickets months and months ago.

sanda Profile Photo
sanda
#38re: DON'T YOU PEOPLE GET IT. YES THIS IS MY RANT ABOUT THE STRIKE
Posted: 11/11/07 at 10:26pm

I hope the strike end before 12/15 so I can still catch Cyrano. Go puke yourself.

NYC_or_Bust
#39re: DON'T YOU PEOPLE GET IT. YES THIS IS MY RANT ABOUT THE STRIKE
Posted: 11/11/07 at 10:27pm

Clearly stated that you're NOW aware how risky it is. My suggestion was for future vacations.

cooperross Profile Photo
cooperross
#40re: DON'T YOU PEOPLE GET IT. YES THIS IS MY RANT ABOUT THE STRIKE
Posted: 11/11/07 at 10:34pm

yes please encourage people that come to your city and spend a lot of money to go elsewhere.

you should get a job with the NYC tourism board.

I've been planning and making these trips several times a year since probably before you were born. But if you want me to take the money I spend elsewhere, and encourage other tourists to do so as well, then by all means enjoy what little is left of your theatrical productions after that.

NYC_or_Bust
#41re: DON'T YOU PEOPLE GET IT. YES THIS IS MY RANT ABOUT THE STRIKE
Posted: 11/11/07 at 10:45pm

What was it about this particular trip that you're so upset abou tthen? If you have been doing these trips-several times a year for a long time, then you should realize that this obviously doesn't happen often...and regardless of what I say, would not be discouraged to come back to NYC.

And by the way, since you've been taking these trips probably before I was born(which you seem to know when that was) , perhaps you should get a job guessing ages at a local county fair...

DrTheatre Profile Photo
DrTheatre
#42re: DON'T YOU PEOPLE GET IT. YES THIS IS MY RANT ABOUT THE STRIKE
Posted: 11/11/07 at 10:54pm

"who have become incredibly rich from the labor that keeps me from seeing my kids before they go to bed. that makes me miss their soccer games and recitals. "

This statement confused me at first, cause I read it and I was like wait, so your job is making others wealthy? It is still a job, right. You are there and doing something, right? Getting paid for it,right? So, if there was nothing to do, then you could go to your kids soccer game and recitals, right? And isn't that what the producers want as well, to pay only for the time being used?

Yes, we all know that other people are highly benefiting from the use of others. But that is the way has always been, the American way.

This is not meant to be rude, but maybe it is time to look for a job that will let you attend your kids soccer game and recitals.

No one is having you miss those games on purpose, you chose to do a job that where you need to make important choices, unfortunately those are some of them.

If that statement was only based on the % of what you make and what the producers take in, then that would be valid to me. Missing certain things, cause you have to work, sorry, that's life.

I had to do the same thing. I know!

And I support the strikers. I say just give them a safe contract to pay them enough to live. PERIOD!

And now I am going to get yelled at....*starts to cry*

"In the U.S.A. You can have your say, You can set you goals And seize the day, You've been given the freedom To work your way To the head of the line- To the head of the line!" ---Stephen Sondheim
Updated On: 11/11/07 at 10:54 PM

artsamore Profile Photo
artsamore
#43re: DON'T YOU PEOPLE GET IT. YES THIS IS MY RANT ABOUT THE STRIKE
Posted: 11/11/07 at 11:21pm

Thanks for your words Dr. Theater....my sentiments exactly!

I find the comments made by localonecrew and jerseygurl actually offensive in how naive they were. Name the job were I can make fantastic money and still have large amounts of time for family and kids and put a quality steak on the grill(as was foolishly said earlier). And the other comments madeby the person who wanted to be appreciated for all the knowledge he or she had gained is simply ridiculous! If we all felt that these were points to strike on then every job in the country would be shut down.

We all suffer from not being appreciated enough on our jobs and not being paid enough for the work we do. Dare I bring up TEACHERS or POLICE OFFICERS!!!!! This strike is on the same plane as the MTA strike where you had people "fighting" for things that were rather silly and to come here with comments of spending more time with their children and getting respect as reasons to strike when we have some many other workers in the world who are underappreciated dang near disgusts me!!

CJR
#44re: DON'T YOU PEOPLE GET IT. YES THIS IS MY RANT ABOUT THE STRIKE
Posted: 11/11/07 at 11:21pm

DoranC -- re-read what I was saying, please. I wasn't trying to give *you* advice... nor did I imply that you specifically were acting like it was the end of the world. But I sit here and I see the tourists they're interviewing on the news and I listen to the tourists bitch and complain in the streets and Im "listening" to a number of people here on the board bitch and complain..... and nearly everyone is missing the bigger picture. Isn't it important to any of the fans that the union members have a fair contract (after not having a contract for a bit)? Clearly, the shows can't go up without local one.....

BTW, "Chrissakes" isn't a curse word. Trust me, there are far worse things I could've said.

You have to understand, from someone on the other side of things (a theatre professional; not a tourist or fan or every day theatre goer... though I know several posters on this board and several of my friends are more directly affected by this than I am as they are local one themselves) how incredibly ungrateful it makes the theatre going public look that people are reacting this way. I've said it already, but yeah, it sucks to miss your show. It sucks to make a trip only to find out your show has been canceled. Yes, I do understand that there are aspects of a trip that are non-refundable. With that in mind, why not take the trip anyway and make the most of it? Why swallow cancellation fees on top of the monies already paid? That makes little sense to me.

Tkt2Ride Profile Photo
Tkt2Ride
#45re: DON'T YOU PEOPLE GET IT. YES THIS IS MY RANT ABOUT THE STRIKE
Posted: 11/11/07 at 11:22pm

With vacations something usually goes wrong. The show could have been canceled for so many reasons. Since this time it is because two parties can't agree, the Union gets the blame. It doesn't matter that the League was going to shut it all down in October but just couldn't bring themselves to do it so they put just enough pressure on the Union to start a strike.

Had the Union not called this strike, the League would have probably shut down Broadway in January or February. Then the strike could last for months on end.

Again, whenever you are making travel arrangements, please consider what can go wrong. It is worth it, to pay a little bit extra if all you want to do is one certain thing, for tickets that can be exchanged since anything can and will happen.

Those who can't afford to do so, need to maybe reconsider how they are choosing to travel. I don't fly anywhere that I can't find other things to do. I also, make sure I contact the places I plan on staying in advance and verify my tickets, reservations. If tourist did this as well as read the local newspapers, online, for the Cities they want to travel to, they would have already known a strike was pending and maybe made sure they had alternate plans just in case.

Those who are stubborn or trust others to do the work for them, know they are gambling. I don't trust anyone too much to do what I can do myself. Salespeople are there to sell. They don't make money unless they sell you something, so I feel I have a duty too, to make sure I am getting the best price and my trip will be as comfortable as possible. Just I hope, some helpful advice.

winston89 Profile Photo
winston89
#46re: DON'T YOU PEOPLE GET IT. YES THIS IS MY RANT ABOUT THE STRIKE
Posted: 11/11/07 at 11:52pm

I never stated that the world was going to end due to the strike. I was saying that that was the impression I was getting from reading many of the posts that were made because of the strike going on.

Also, I don't feel for any of the tourists or locals for that matter who are complaining in the newspapers about no shows going on. If they read the news they would realize that this was going on.

"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll

cooperross Profile Photo
cooperross
#47re: DON'T YOU PEOPLE GET IT. YES THIS IS MY RANT ABOUT THE STRIKE
Posted: 11/11/07 at 11:56pm

"Also, I don't feel for any of the tourists or locals for that matter who are complaining in the newspapers about no shows going on. If they read the news they would realize that this was going on."

Another big shocker to you NY'ers might be that outside of NY, this kind of thing doesn't make news until it actually happens.

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#48re: DON'T YOU PEOPLE GET IT. YES THIS IS MY RANT ABOUT THE STRIKE
Posted: 11/12/07 at 12:00am

the point is it wasn't a "risky vacation" when we made plans and bought tickets months and months ago.

I get it. They shouldn't strike or fight for what it believes they're entitled to because they should be thinkng about you instead.

No wonder NYC tourists get such a bad rep. re: DON'T YOU PEOPLE GET IT. YES THIS IS MY RANT ABOUT THE STRIKE

A work of art is an invitation to love.

jspaeth87
#49re: DON'T YOU PEOPLE GET IT. YES THIS IS MY RANT ABOUT THE STRIKE
Posted: 11/12/07 at 12:02am

it might not make news until the strike actually happens. but one would think that you should probably do some research if you're spending so much money on these plans

Videos