pixeltracker

DON'T YOU PEOPLE GET IT. YES THIS IS MY RANT ABOUT THE STRIKE

DON'T YOU PEOPLE GET IT. YES THIS IS MY RANT ABOUT THE STRIKE

winston89 Profile Photo
winston89
#1DON'T YOU PEOPLE GET IT. YES THIS IS MY RANT ABOUT THE STRIKE
Posted: 11/11/07 at 7:37pm

I am SICK and tired of people being so self centered aboutthe strike. If I hear one more post about how I need this to be done soon so I can go to see whatever show I have tickets for I am gonna puke. There is more important things then your need to see a show. I am not a member of the union I am a theatre goer and a huge theatre fan. It just seems to me that people are getting angry about self centerd reasons. " They can't strike because the holidays are near." Is a comment I have been reading a lot of on this forum. Why do you think they are striking now ?!?!?!? They are striking now because the holidays are near and that is the high time for tourists to come to NYC.

All stirkes in a sense are for self centered reasons. They just want to put food on the table which is no different then what any one who holds a job does. You can say that your need to feed your family is self centerd. And if you do then you have no right whatsoever to yell at the union members. That would be total Hypocricy.

No one yelled about how the Taxi drivers are being self centerd when they went on strike a month ago. People are complaing because of a common trait of human nautre. That is only caring about something that only effects them. The strike effects only those with upcomming tickets thus they are looking at this in a very self centered way. That is no worse then what the stagehands are doing.

"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll

localonecrew
#2re: DON'T YOU PEOPLE GET IT. YES THIS IS MY RANT ABOUT THE STRIKE
Posted: 11/11/07 at 7:50pm

i want to work. i want to see my show running. i am scared to death that this strike is going to close my show.

I also want to feed and clothe my kids. I want to pay the mortgage on my small 2 bedroom home. this is not too much to ask from people who have become incredibly rich from the labor that keeps me from seeing my kids before they go to bed. that makes me miss their soccer games and recitals.

what they can never give me is job security. a show closes after 3 weeks, i am out of work. its happened to me before and will again.

i just want to make an honest living and protect my family. i am not asking for a second homeor a fancy sports car. just some braces for my one son and the occasional quality steak for the grill.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#2re: DON'T YOU PEOPLE GET IT. YES THIS IS MY RANT ABOUT THE STRIKE
Posted: 11/11/07 at 7:56pm

Tell the critics to give all show raves. Make prices affordable

These 2 things will do a lot toward improving Broadway.

Poster Emeritus

DoranC
#3re: DON'T YOU PEOPLE GET IT. YES THIS IS MY RANT ABOUT THE STRIKE
Posted: 11/11/07 at 7:58pm

"The strike effects only those with upcomming tickets..."

No it doesn't.

jrb_actor Profile Photo
jrb_actor
#4re: DON'T YOU PEOPLE GET IT. YES THIS IS MY RANT ABOUT THE STRIKE
Posted: 11/11/07 at 7:58pm

I, too, am sick of all this insanity. People need to calm the f down.

And watch this video--laugh a lil

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#5re: DON'T YOU PEOPLE GET IT. YES THIS IS MY RANT ABOUT THE STRIKE
Posted: 11/11/07 at 8:02pm

What should concern everyone is the longer it goes on the worse the long term effect is .

This will impact on Broadway fro years to come. Tourism will tank & if Local 1 thinks they have it bad now they should think back to the time when almost half the theaters were empty. It can very easily happen again.

I feel sorry for the Seafarer which will probably not even open now.

Poster Emeritus

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#6re: DON'T YOU PEOPLE GET IT. YES THIS IS MY RANT ABOUT THE STRIKE
Posted: 11/11/07 at 8:06pm

Well, wise old winston, if we didn't get it before, we sure do now! Thanks for all of your invaluable insight.

re: DON'T YOU PEOPLE GET IT. YES THIS IS MY RANT ABOUT THE STRIKE

Obviously your personal rant was too important to find a place in any of the other 46 threads on the strike, right?

Roxy - how will critics raving for all of the shows lower ticket prices? That's ridiculous.

What I want to know is why this strike has apparently done such damage to our ability to make sense, and somehow brought out more stupidity on this board than usual.

A work of art is an invitation to love.
Updated On: 11/11/07 at 08:06 PM

winston89 Profile Photo
winston89
#7re: DON'T YOU PEOPLE GET IT. YES THIS IS MY RANT ABOUT THE STRIKE
Posted: 11/11/07 at 8:07pm

I should have been more clear when I said that the only people that the strike effects ON THIS FORUM are those with tickets. I should have made that point more clear and I am sorry that I didn't.

Mr. Roxey, I am sure that when the musicians went on strike there were some shows in fear of closing or not even opening up period.

I do think that this would be different just by looking at the time of year that this whole thing happened.

"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll

cooperross Profile Photo
cooperross
#8re: DON'T YOU PEOPLE GET IT. YES THIS IS MY RANT ABOUT THE STRIKE
Posted: 11/11/07 at 8:11pm

"I also want to feed and clothe my kids. I want to pay the mortgage on my small 2 bedroom home. this is not too much to ask from people who have become incredibly rich from the labor that keeps me from seeing my kids before they go to bed. that makes me miss their soccer games and recitals.

what they can never give me is job security. a show closes after 3 weeks, i am out of work. its happened to me before and will again."

You chose to work in a business where you knew the rules and requirements beforehand. If you're so distraught over missing your kids extracurricular activities and the insecurity of shows constantly closing then I suggest you get a job where the hours will allow you to do so and are steady and quit your bitching.

-Politics is like driving. To go backward, put it in R. To go forward, put it in D.
Updated On: 11/11/07 at 08:11 PM

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#9re: DON'T YOU PEOPLE GET IT. YES THIS IS MY RANT ABOUT THE STRIKE
Posted: 11/11/07 at 8:32pm

You hit it on the head.

Poster Emeritus

rosscoe(au) Profile Photo
rosscoe(au)
#10re: DON'T YOU PEOPLE GET IT. YES THIS IS MY RANT ABOUT THE STRIKE
Posted: 11/11/07 at 8:36pm

cooperross good post.

How can someone who works in this industry bitch, whine and moan about not getting to see his kids go to bed. When you first started the job, did they forget to tell you what hours you would be working! Really i mean come on, that statement was just stupid!

Well I didn't want to get into it, but he's a Satanist. Every full moon he sacrifices 4 puppies to the Dark Lord and smears their blood on his paino. This should help you understand the score for Wicked a little bit more. Tazber's: Reply to Is Stephen Schwartz a Practicing Christian

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#11re: DON'T YOU PEOPLE GET IT. YES THIS IS MY RANT ABOUT THE STRIKE
Posted: 11/11/07 at 8:39pm

this whole thread is stupid, and uneeded. We already have 7,000 threads where the same points have been made.
And made better.

....but the world goes 'round

DoranC
#12re: DON'T YOU PEOPLE GET IT. YES THIS IS MY RANT ABOUT THE STRIKE
Posted: 11/11/07 at 9:06pm

"...the only people that the strike effects ON THIS FORUM are those with tickets."

Well, you are getting closer. :) But I don't even think that is true.

So, do you guys really think The Seafarer won't open? Just curious.

localonecrew
#13re: DON'T YOU PEOPLE GET IT. YES THIS IS MY RANT ABOUT THE STRIKE
Posted: 11/11/07 at 9:06pm

i am not complaining, bitching or whining.

yes, i chose this for a job. i knew the consequences and pitfalls. i still chose it and love it.

i just want to be fairly paid for what i do and for the expertise i bring.

i dont want to be paid for doing nothing. i dont want to be paid more money than i have earned.

i want to be respected for what i do and know. i want to be appreciated for the knowledge i have worked hard to gain. i want to be paid for the knowledge i apply for the producers benefit.

thats all i want and nothing more.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#14re: DON'T YOU PEOPLE GET IT. YES THIS IS MY RANT ABOUT THE STRIKE
Posted: 11/11/07 at 9:07pm

The seafare was dying at the box office before the strike.

If thes strike goes another week, they will probably thrown in the towel. This would be a shame. Those stagehands will than be out of work.

Poster Emeritus

jrb_actor Profile Photo
jrb_actor
#15re: DON'T YOU PEOPLE GET IT. YES THIS IS MY RANT ABOUT THE STRIKE
Posted: 11/11/07 at 9:13pm

I can understand one having a pov because they are involved directly with the situation or have truly informed themselves of all the facts.

But what's annoying are all the people who have adopted stances, some downright hateful, JUST because they aren't getting to see their favorite show. Some even abandoning their usual stances and logic on these issues.

It's amazing how so many people claim to love theatre, but can't have more respect for the people who make that theatre happen.

NYC_or_Bust Profile Photo
NYC_or_Bust
#16re: DON'T YOU PEOPLE GET IT. YES THIS IS MY RANT ABOUT THE STRIKE
Posted: 11/11/07 at 9:13pm

I find the multiple threads just as annoying as anyone else, but I mean come on...everytime something MAJOR in the Broadway/Theatre Community happens there are always DOZENS upon DOZENS of threads.

God forbid, the good people at WICKED hire two new leads, because lord knows we have to hear about it for weeks on end.

And we all know, just too well, when a Movie Musical comes out, everyone and their brother has to offer a thread probably containing the same crap as 3 and 4 threads below it.

One thing we have to keep in mind here folks, is that the silly people who START "stupid" threads aren't going away anytime soon, especially as this strike continues on. And why are so many of you playing their game? I mean seriously, the FIRST thing I look at, when I read a poster's message is the day in which they signed up for BWW...Some people just don't understand the rhythm of this Message board. I CERTAINLY have changed the way in which I now post, compared to when I was doing it 2 years ago. Keep in mind, many(not all) of these NEW posters are probably pissed off Teenagers/Tweenies that missed out on WICKED &Legally Blonde. [[ You can't blame little Sarah for being mad, she practiced singing Defying Gravity for MONTHS and wanted to sing it during the show!]]

I have to say I had my hand in a share of this Strike-Thread-Extravaganza, but mine was humorous about Spelling Bee using this as material. It was meant to be taken lightly considering this board is clearly polluted with rants and pissed off people who had tickets.

I guess my tune WOULD be different if I had had tickets for shows starting the day of the strike or after. But, the way it looks to me right now is like all of you with tickets are going into total CHAOS/Panic, and being INCREDIBLY selfish. I mean really, who cares if you don't get to see Laura Bell Bundy...Look at the bigger picture like so many before have stated. This strike doesn't JUST affect the shows immediately following it's end. This will affect Broadway for seasons to come...

After posting this thread, I went back and counted a total of 21 Strike Related threads on the current 1st Page of the Board..

I adore the black band holding on the Phantom's mask. ~ Jenna2
Updated On: 11/11/07 at 09:13 PM

jerseygurl
#17re: DON'T YOU PEOPLE GET IT. YES THIS IS MY RANT ABOUT THE STRIKE
Posted: 11/11/07 at 9:14pm

thanks local one crew,
i know that my husband chose this work and has been alternately fulfilled and frustrated - but never given it less than 200 percent. which has meant missing holidays, little league games, parent-teacher conferences, birthday parties and, for a family of four, commuting a total of four hours six days a week, paying for metro north, parking, meals in town. calling me on Christmas Eve to say that he won't make it home until after midnight. yes, maybe these are "luxury problems" for people who think $100,000 a year is the gravy train. i work, too, locally, and we're just now getting new carpeting while paying off student loans. we care about and love this business but the producers' stand is based on profits not the essential costs. btw, for upset parents, take your kids to any local shakespeare production; that will have better and more lasting ramifications than any broadway musical.

CJR
#18re: DON'T YOU PEOPLE GET IT. YES THIS IS MY RANT ABOUT THE STRIKE
Posted: 11/11/07 at 9:20pm

"...the only people that the strike effects ON THIS FORUM are those with tickets."

That's not true. There are a good number on this board -- myself included -- who work on Broadway and are affected by the strike.

"You're every gay man's wet dream!" ~ MA

If in Heaven you don't excel, you can always party down in hell...

jrb_actor Profile Photo
jrb_actor
#19re: DON'T YOU PEOPLE GET IT. YES THIS IS MY RANT ABOUT THE STRIKE
Posted: 11/11/07 at 9:22pm

Exactly. Everyone with tickets can get a refund. Thousands of us are out of work. So, some of you can just climb down off that crucifix--somebody needs the wood.

CJR
#20re: DON'T YOU PEOPLE GET IT. YES THIS IS MY RANT ABOUT THE STRIKE
Posted: 11/11/07 at 9:26pm

Jerby, I love you.

DoranC
#21re: DON'T YOU PEOPLE GET IT. YES THIS IS MY RANT ABOUT THE STRIKE
Posted: 11/11/07 at 9:29pm

"btw, for upset parents, take your kids to any local shakespeare production; that will have better and more lasting ramifications than any broadway musical."

Uhm, actually, I'd appreciate if you didn't encourage parents to take their prone-to-crying-when-disappointed little kids to Shakespeare productions!

DoranC
#22re: DON'T YOU PEOPLE GET IT. YES THIS IS MY RANT ABOUT THE STRIKE
Posted: 11/11/07 at 9:33pm

"Everyone with tickets can get a refund."

Fair enough. But there are people with non-refundable airline tickets and non-refundable hotel deposits.

defyingravity11 Profile Photo
defyingravity11
#23re: DON'T YOU PEOPLE GET IT. YES THIS IS MY RANT ABOUT THE STRIKE
Posted: 11/11/07 at 9:40pm

My side hurts from laughing at that video! It cracks me up!

"In theater, the process of it is the experience. Everyone goes through the process, and everyone has the experience together. It doesn't last - only in people's memories and in their hearts. That's the beauty and sadness of it. But that's life - beauty and the sadness. And that is why theater is life." - Sherie Rene Scott

CJR
#24re: DON'T YOU PEOPLE GET IT. YES THIS IS MY RANT ABOUT THE STRIKE
Posted: 11/11/07 at 9:40pm

Fair enough. But there are people with non-refundable airline tickets and non-refundable hotel deposits.

It's New York City, for chrissakes. Would it kill them to explore the city? Go to a museum? See an off broadway show?

Videos