pixeltracker

It's Official: GYPSY Opens March 27 with LuPone, Gaines and Benanti- Page 2

It's Official: GYPSY Opens March 27 with LuPone, Gaines and Benanti

Mattbrain
#25re: It's Official: GYPSY Opens March 27 with LuPone, Gaines and Benanti
Posted: 12/19/07 at 6:06pm

This is gonna be awesome. I HAVE TO SEE THIS.

Butters, go buy World of Warcraft, install it on your computer, and join the online sensation before we all murder you. --Cartman: South Park ATTENTION FANS: I will be played by James Barbour in the upcoming musical, "BroadwayWorld: The Musical."

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#26re: It's Official: GYPSY Opens March 27 with LuPone, Gaines and Benanti
Posted: 12/19/07 at 6:09pm

Just speaking from her record for well, every show she's done.

#27re: It's Official: GYPSY Opens March 27 with LuPone, Gaines and Benanti
Posted: 12/19/07 at 6:14pm

so dont #@FF*$INng invest in the show!

BUT QUIT PISSIN ALL OVER THOSE WHO *DID* ENJOY IT!!!!

ahmelie Profile Photo
ahmelie
#28re: It's Official: GYPSY Opens March 27 with LuPone, Gaines and Benanti
Posted: 12/19/07 at 6:16pm

Thank you, Norn!

Theatre is a safe place to do the unsafe things that need to be done. -John Patrick Shanley

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#29re: It's Official: GYPSY Opens March 27 with LuPone, Gaines and Benanti
Posted: 12/19/07 at 6:54pm

BobbyBubby needs to get a little over himself, we get it, Benanti has a fuzzy record.
She was beyond excellent at Encores!, one of the most thrilling performances I have seen, and to me she surpassed LuPone in the dressing room scene, she was pure magic. LuPone did give an enjoyable performance though even if I prefer Bernie's Rose by miles.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

Yankeefan007
#30re: It's Official: GYPSY Opens March 27 with LuPone, Gaines and Benanti
Posted: 12/19/07 at 8:25pm

Benanti's performance was one of the most thrilling I've seen all year, and I'm not necessarily a fan of her. That she figured out how to add such depth to a character in such a short period of time is a testament to how skilled an actor she actually is.

And Gaines...he's great in everything he does.

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#31re: It's Official: GYPSY Opens March 27 with LuPone, Gaines and Benanti
Posted: 12/19/07 at 8:26pm

I thought the production was top notch. The only part I found boring was LuPone.

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)

MotorTink Profile Photo
MotorTink
#32re: It's Official: GYPSY Opens March 27 with LuPone, Gaines and Benanti
Posted: 12/19/07 at 8:39pm

I really enjoyed seeing this this summer. Not as much the actors but I just fell in love with the show itself. Of course the actors were wonderful, but I won't be seeing it again to see Patti, I will be seeing it again to see "Gypsy". Well, and Boyd, but that's just cause I love that man.

BroadwayBoobs: I'll give all of you who weren't there a hint of who took the pictures ...it rhymes with shameless

SOMMS: I knew it was Tink!

misschung
#33re: It's Official: GYPSY Opens March 27 with LuPone, Gaines and Benanti
Posted: 12/19/07 at 8:52pm

lol kate, as soon as I saw this announcement, I was like "she's gonna be so excited"

I hope that insane guy won't be sitting next to us again

The morning star always gets wonderful bright the minute before it has to go --doesn't it?

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#34re: It's Official: GYPSY Opens March 27 with LuPone, Gaines and Benanti
Posted: 12/19/07 at 9:22pm

I think Ray needs to let people have their own opinion, rather than assuming his opinion is gold. It's not. If you don't like something he does, all of a sudden your're misinformed. I didn't like LoveMusik and suddenly I don't know about a composer and star that I did a freaking thesis on!

I'm sorry, but as long as Benanti does this time and time again, I'm gonna call her on it.

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#35re: It's Official: GYPSY Opens March 27 with LuPone, Gaines and Benanti
Posted: 12/19/07 at 9:38pm

I don't think my opinion is gold, really. I understand Benanti has a bad reputation in terms of attendance and diva-attitude (though from what I hear she has made amends regarding the latter), what I don't understand is the need to bring her down for it on every single thread for a dozen continuous posts. It's vicious and unnecessary.
Plus, Benanti's reputation may be whatever you want but that does not take from the fact that her Louise was like no other. She stole the show right from under LuPone.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#36re: It's Official: GYPSY Opens March 27 with LuPone, Gaines and Benanti
Posted: 12/19/07 at 9:40pm

I enjoyed Benanti.. I really liked her a lot. Her "screaming" was chilling. But I don't think she was THAT amazing like people are making her out to be. People are practically worshiping her Louise.

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#37re: It's Official: GYPSY Opens March 27 with LuPone, Gaines and Benanti
Posted: 12/19/07 at 9:41pm

Really, Bobby, I don't think Ray considers his opinion golden. I think it's just because you seem to harp on Benanti in every thread. It's getting tiresome, and it's overworked to the point Donna Murphy was hounded for her attendance.

Anyway, I won't be able to see it again, but I'm glad Benanti and Gaines are returning.

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

Scarywarhol Profile Photo
Scarywarhol
#38re: It's Official: GYPSY Opens March 27 with LuPone, Gaines and Benanti
Posted: 12/19/07 at 9:57pm

I feel like an ass.

I've never seen Gypsy.

But I can't wait to!

MotorTink Profile Photo
MotorTink
#39re: It's Official: GYPSY Opens March 27 with LuPone, Gaines and Benanti
Posted: 12/19/07 at 9:59pm

Isn't that the point of revivals? So that people who weren't able to see it before, now can? Don't feel like an ass, at least over this.

BroadwayBoobs: I'll give all of you who weren't there a hint of who took the pictures ...it rhymes with shameless

SOMMS: I knew it was Tink!

RoseStopnikCooks Profile Photo
RoseStopnikCooks
#40re: It's Official: GYPSY Opens March 27 with LuPone, Gaines and Benanti
Posted: 12/19/07 at 11:29pm

Laura's attendance, though it was a limited run and quite short, was perfect for Encores!.

Laura is well aware of her previous attendance problems and has long been trying to correct them. I, too, found her performance more thrilling than la LuPone's.

I'm extremely excited to see this production again. :)

FOAnatic Profile Photo
FOAnatic
#41re: It's Official: GYPSY Opens March 27 with LuPone, Gaines and Benanti
Posted: 12/19/07 at 11:33pm

Gotta love it.

I'll be there!

"I love talking about nothing. It is the only thing I know anything about." - Oscar Wilde

Dollypop
#42re: It's Official: GYPSY Opens March 27 with LuPone, Gaines and Benanti
Posted: 12/19/07 at 11:36pm

Bad Gigilos unite! GYPSY returneth!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

sabrelady Profile Photo
sabrelady
#43re: It's Official: GYPSY Opens March 27 with LuPone, Gaines and Benanti
Posted: 12/19/07 at 11:51pm

So the important detail that seems to be missing- WHEN do the tickets go on sale? I will be in the city when the early previews are on and need to nail down a ticket as soon as possible. Any body know?

LeaGirl Profile Photo
LeaGirl
#44re: It's Official: GYPSY Opens March 27 with LuPone, Gaines and Benanti
Posted: 12/19/07 at 11:57pm

I'm excited. REALLY excited.

And that's really an understatement but I'm trying to type like I'm actually 27 and not 12.

It is hard. I want to just pound the keyboard and maybe throw in an "omgz"

Now what would you say if today I started over? Without a thing but this taped together four leaf clover And I'll pretend like everything is already alright And I'll run toward the sun till the castle's out of sight
Updated On: 12/20/07 at 11:57 PM

MsNina
#45re: It's Official: GYPSY Opens March 27 with LuPone, Gaines and Benanti
Posted: 12/20/07 at 12:29am

Well I am 27, but for this I'll type like I'm 12. OMIGOD I'M SOOO EFFING STOKED!!! Having missed it in July, I'm thrilled to bits with this news... even though we knew it was coming. At least it's official.

gypsy4
#46re: It's Official: GYPSY Opens March 27 with LuPone, Gaines and Benanti
Posted: 12/20/07 at 12:49am

I know that its Patti's turn to shine as rose but do you think this will be a punch in the face to peters?

musical_devotee Profile Photo
musical_devotee
#47re: It's Official: GYPSY Opens March 27 with LuPone, Gaines and Benanti
Posted: 12/20/07 at 12:55am

Great news, in any case.

CAST RECORDING!
CAST RECORDING!
CAST RECORDING!

Brick
#48re: It's Official: GYPSY Opens March 27 with LuPone, Gaines and Benanti
Posted: 12/20/07 at 1:36am

I, too, think its interesting how the tone of this board is toward Patti.

No point in disagreeing. But I noticed it during the Sweeney revival, as well. Oh well.

And The Times was the only mixed review. It only seems otherwise because of the response here.

I am curious to see what the papers say. Same reviews? They might feel more inclined to criticize because Brantley did. But then they'd look like pushovers to the Times.

I agree this revival is way too soon. But I do think it is fascinating to watch the mounting of a revival of this size, this budget, starring a(n almost) theatre-only star. People (especially Patti and the press when they interview her) often say how the age of such productions is over. For that reason alone, I really hope this does well.

Call me naive, call them foolish. But I would like to see revivals of shows by theatre stars who have earned it. Not Mame starring Catherine Zeta Jones. (Yeah, I'd see it, but you get my point!)

MsNina
#49re: It's Official: GYPSY Opens March 27 with LuPone, Gaines and Benanti
Posted: 12/20/07 at 2:45am

Devotee-

I almost crapped my pants at the thought of a cast recording. That's all I want.

Videos