SUNDAY Reviews

Yankeefan007
#25re: SUNDAY Reviews
Posted: 2/21/08 at 9:52pm

Positive from the AP:

"And sing they do - quite wonderfully - at Studio 54 where the Roundabout Theatre Company has opened a stunning revival of the Stephen Sondheim-James Lapine musical.

"Sunday" is Sondheim's most personal score, an artful juggling of the cerebral and the emotional, a delicate balancing act perfectly captured here in a production that first earned cheers at a tiny London theatre in 2005.

The projections bring a fluidity to the revival, a brushstroke ease of movement that suggests the act of putting paint on canvas. But they would be only empty motion if the performances surrounding them were not compelling.

Fortunately, Daniel Evans and Jenna Russell are as fine as their starry predecessors in interpreting the obsessed painter and the woman who can't compete with his fierce artistic vision."

http://jam.canoe.ca/Theatre/2008/02/21/4866832-ap.html

4 (out of 4) stars from USA Today:

"In this London-based revival of Sunday(* * * * out of four), which opened Thursday at Roundabout Theatre Company's Studio 54, animated and projected images grant us further access to the inspiration and aspirations behind the imagined George's creative process and that of the great-grandson who shares his name.

It's in the second act that we meet the second George, also an artist, as well as his grandmother Marie, the product of the first George's relationship with his long-suffering mistress and model, the playfully named Dot. Lapine's tart libretto and Sondheim's witty, rapturous score focus on the two ambitious, tormented artists and the women who, in very different ways, love and frustrate them.

Both Georges are played by the same actor, while one actress juggles the two women. The superb Daniel Evans makes clear the generational distinctions between the Georges while linking their obsessive, narcissistic tendencies, and making them sympathetic nonetheless. Jenna Russell, a sassy, sensual Dot, is funny, touching and completely convincing as the 98-year-old but still-wily Marie. Buntrock also culls lovely supporting performances from Michael Cumpsty, Jessica Molaskey, Mary Beth Peil and others."

http://www.usatoday.com/life/theater/reviews/2008-02-21-sunday-park_N.htm

Positive from the Financial Times:

"The new actors - including Michael Cumpsty and Alexander Gemignani - discharge their duties splendidly. And Drew McVety seems to relish playing a baker named Louis, whom everyone loves and who has been seen as Sondheim's send-up of rival Broadway composers such as Jerry Herman.

Russell's Dot - Seurat's mistress - is neither as lyrically powerful nor as funny as Bernadette Peters was in 1984 but affecting just the same, especially as the elderly Marie in act two. Evans gives both his Seurat and Seurat's great-grandson a heart-catching flair: a genuine sense of the characters' belief in "so many possibilities". A final note: I have nothing but praise for the 3-D projections and I look forward to seeing a production of Sunday in which they play all the parts."

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/1922cf84-e0e8-11dc-b0d7-0000779fd2ac.html

ashley0139
#26re: SUNDAY Reviews
Posted: 2/21/08 at 10:05pm

My most anticipated show of the year. I cannot wait!

"This table, he is over one hundred years old. If I could, I would take an old gramophone needle and run it along the surface of the wood. To hear the music of the voices. All that was said." - Doug Wright, I Am My Own Wife

WaltSummersPI Profile Photo
WaltSummersPI
#27re: SUNDAY Reviews
Posted: 2/21/08 at 10:06pm

Thanks for the link to the video. Fun to see this cast with the British cast recording. :)

BustopherPhantom Profile Photo
BustopherPhantom
#28re: SUNDAY Reviews
Posted: 2/21/08 at 10:16pm

Okay, so maybe COMPANY isn't as well-thought of as I thought. I was drawing from my experience with other Sondheads that I know.

Sorry 'bout that.

"Y'know, I think Bertolt Brecht was rolling in his grave."
-Nellie McKay on the 2006 Broadway production of The Threepenny Opera, in which she played Polly Peachum

BustopherPhantom
#29re: SUNDAY Reviews
Posted: 2/21/08 at 10:20pm

Word of Mouth is Positive:

http://www.broadway.com/gen/general.aspx?ci=561069

-Nellie McKay on the 2006 Broadway production of The Threepenny Opera, in which she played Polly Peachum

BustopherPhantom
#30re: SUNDAY Reviews
Posted: 2/21/08 at 10:21pm

Talkin' Broadway is a Steaming Negative:

Everything is cold: the setting (by David Farley, who also designed the costumes) of all-white, watch-your-step gallery; the performances, particularly from imported British leads Daniel Evans and Jenna Russell; and even the orchestra, pared down and spiritlessly weaving its way through Sondheim's potentially passionate score. Absent that heat, this musical is not guaranteed to leave you "sweating by a river," as a lyric goes, but fighting off the natural chill of the two men at its center who are so consumed with work that they have no time for the disbelievers surrounding them - however close.

http://www.talkinbroadway.com/world/SundayPark.html

dancingthrulife04 Profile Photo
dancingthrulife04
#31re: SUNDAY Reviews
Posted: 2/21/08 at 10:22pm

Murray doesn't seem to like much of anything...

http://www.beintheheights.com/katnicole1 (Please click and help me win!) I chose, and my world was shaken- So what?
The choice may have been mistaken, The choosing was not...
"Every day has the potential to be the greatest day of your life." - Lin-Manuel Miranda
"And when Idina Menzel is singing, I'm always slightly worried that her teeth are going to jump out of her mouth and chase me." - Schmerg_the_Impaler

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#32re: SUNDAY Reviews
Posted: 2/21/08 at 10:23pm

No way, that can't be! Talkin' Broadway is NEVER negative! I'm shocked.

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

theaterkid1015 Profile Photo
theaterkid1015
#33re: SUNDAY Reviews

He liked "Pirate Queen", didn't he?

Some people paint, some people sew, I meddle.

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#34re: SUNDAY Reviews

Wow. I always knew that Murray didn't like many shows, but this just proves that he's lacking more than a few brain cells.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

BustopherPhantom
#35re: SUNDAY Reviews

And the New York Times is an Orgasmic Rave:

“Look!” says the man for whom seeing is everything, in a voice that both commands and beseeches. “Look!”

This directive is issued by the painter Seurat, played by Daniel Evans in the glorious revival of Stephen Sondheim and James Lapine’s “Sunday in the Park With George,” which opened Thursday night at Studio 54. And even if George’s mother, to whom he is ostensibly speaking, pays him no mind, we certainly do.

How could we not look at the rhapsody of images that keeps unfolding before us? Directed by Sam Buntrock, this production uses 21st-century technology to convey the vision of a 19th-century Pointillist to truly enchanting effect.

But in “Sunday in the Park With George,” which won the Pulitzer Prize for drama in 1985, looking involves much more than registering what’s pretty, what’s shocking, what’s new. The great gift of this production, first staged in London two years ago, is its quiet insistence that looking is the art by which all people shape their lives.

http://theater2.nytimes.com/2008/02/22/theater/reviews/22geor.html

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#36re: SUNDAY Reviews
Posted: 2/21/08 at 10:24pm

Yay. Nice to see Mary Beth, Jessica Molaskey, and Michael Cumpsty are already getting positive recognition.

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#37re: SUNDAY Reviews
Posted: 2/21/08 at 10:41pm

Very pleased about the NYTimes review!

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

humbugfoto Profile Photo
humbugfoto
#38re: SUNDAY Reviews
Posted: 2/21/08 at 10:52pm

Wow! Somebody's been feeding Ben Brantley happy pills lately. Or something...

Sarcasm is an allergic reaction to stupid people.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#39re: SUNDAY Reviews
Posted: 2/21/08 at 11:25pm

Murray holds absolutely no weight as a critic, he's just an internet critic.

I'm so glad Brantley loved it. And I'm so glad he recognized Peil, Molaskey, and Cumpsty - like the other critics have.

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#40re: SUNDAY Reviews
Posted: 2/21/08 at 11:28pm

Murray has got to be the biggest jackass in the world.
Thank you Ben for getting this one right. I knew you would.
I'm thrilled with the other reviews. Old Man Barnes' review will likely be possitive because the production photos for this show are of high quality and that's basically what he writes his reviews on.

thinggoes
#41re: SUNDAY Reviews
Posted: 2/21/08 at 11:39pm

I must admit that the main reason I read Talkin Broadway now is to see how far into left field Matthew Murray goes to analyze and "support" his reviews. The extraneous and rather preposterous conclusions he comes up with, and the pretentiousness that he presents, just make me laugh out loud most of the time.

PS. Did you like my pretentious write-up? re: SUNDAY Reviews

WaltSummersPI Profile Photo
WaltSummersPI
#42re: SUNDAY Reviews
Posted: 2/21/08 at 11:42pm

I'm still interested in finding out what is so bohemian and gay about George! :)

Testing1232 Profile Photo
Testing1232
#43re: SUNDAY Reviews
Posted: 2/21/08 at 11:47pm

Thank goodness the Times is a rave !!! Totally deserved !

EugLoven Profile Photo
EugLoven
#44re: SUNDAY Reviews
Posted: 2/21/08 at 11:49pm

As if we didn't already know this was going to be a dead-ringer.
BRAVO! BRAVO! to all and everyone.
What a wonderful world it is, to have "Sunday" back, isn't it?

#45re: SUNDAY Reviews
Posted: 2/21/08 at 11:57pm

i'm so thrilled for everyone involved...including us!

IdinaBellFoster Profile Photo
IdinaBellFoster
#46re: SUNDAY Reviews
Posted: 2/22/08 at 12:02am

Murray is a asshole, who holds no actual power in the review pool.

Glad this production and it's stars are getting the praise they deserve.

"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#47re: SUNDAY Reviews
Posted: 2/22/08 at 12:07am

The Star Ledger is positive.
http://www.nj.com/entertainment/arts/index.ssf/2008/02/the_musical_version_of_sunday.html

"Sunday in the Park with George" still remains light-years ahead of every musical currently running on Broadway.

And another rave for Peil.

but among a large featured ensemble the most notable work comes from Mary Beth Peil, who's initially cranky then haunting as Seurat's fretful, fading mother.

Updated On: 2/22/08 at 12:07 AM

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#48re: SUNDAY Reviews
Posted: 2/22/08 at 12:07am

. Updated On: 2/22/08 at 12:07 AM

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#49re: SUNDAY Reviews
Posted: 2/22/08 at 12:40am

Finkle from Theatermania is positive, but he still does not like the second act.

http://www.theatermania.com/content/news.cfm/story/12889

The result is a first-rate presentation of a loved and respected musical, which is further festooned with slick and touching performances by Evans and Russell, the only holdovers from the London staging.

Videos