pixeltracker

Broadway Legends of this Generation???? (future broadway legends)- Page 2

Broadway Legends of this Generation???? (future broadway legends)

jake6970
#25re: Broadway Legends of this Generation???? (future broadway legends)
Posted: 2/25/08 at 11:33pm

Lea will be one of Broadway's biggest stars in the coming years. But that's a whole different category than what you guys are talking about. Future is different than legends of today.

Lavieboheme3090 Profile Photo
Lavieboheme3090
#26re: Broadway Legends of this Generation???? (future broadway legends)
Posted: 2/25/08 at 11:35pm

I hope that Anika Noni Rose will be on that list.

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#27re: Broadway Legends of this Generation???? (future broadway legends)
Posted: 2/25/08 at 11:37pm

Great addition.

Anika absolutely has what it takes to be a legend, if she sticks to doing Broadway.

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)

orangeskittles Profile Photo
orangeskittles
#28re: Broadway Legends of this Generation???? (future broadway legends)
Posted: 2/25/08 at 11:45pm

To be a "legend", you should be in legendary, memorable, leading (or even a supporting that's eligible for a Tony nomination) performances. Child actors with 10 lines in the whole production don't count, no matter how good the show is. Stokes and Audra in Ragtime? Legendary. Lea in Ragtime? No.

Like a firework unexploded
Wanting life but never knowing how
Updated On: 2/25/08 at 11:45 PM

jake6970
#29re: Broadway Legends of this Generation???? (future broadway legends)
Posted: 2/26/08 at 12:07am

What about the future legend part of the post? Half of the actors posted are already considered legends by some. We're talking about who we think will be future legends. Can we give the girl some time to get a tony nod?

defyingravity11 Profile Photo
defyingravity11
#30re: Broadway Legends of this Generation???? (future broadway legends)
Posted: 2/26/08 at 12:11am

If I had to pick one, then Audra.

Also Stokes, Kristin, Donna, Nathan...

"In theater, the process of it is the experience. Everyone goes through the process, and everyone has the experience together. It doesn't last - only in people's memories and in their hearts. That's the beauty and sadness of it. But that's life - beauty and the sadness. And that is why theater is life." - Sherie Rene Scott

jewishboy Profile Photo
jewishboy
#31re: Broadway Legends of this Generation???? (future broadway legends)
Posted: 2/26/08 at 12:21am

Marin Mazzie, Tonya Pinkins, Heather Headley (if she returns), Laura Benanti (definitely more so than Kelli O'Hara), and I'll go with the other Lea... Lea Salonga who could grow even more.

BroadwayEnthusiast2 Profile Photo
BroadwayEnthusiast2
#32re: Broadway Legends of this Generation???? (future broadway legends)
Posted: 2/26/08 at 12:26am

LaChanze, if she were to keep doing Broadway.

"I mean, sitting side by side with another man watching Patti LuPone play Rose in GYPSY on Broadway is essentially the equivalent of having hardcore sex." -Wanna Be A Foster. "Say 'Goody.' Say 'Bubbi.'" ... "That's it. Exactly as if it were 'Goody.' Now I know you're gonna sing 'Goody' this time, but nevertheless..."

Just_John Profile Photo
Just_John
#33re: Broadway Legends of this Generation???? (future broadway legends)
Posted: 2/26/08 at 12:31am

"Laura Benanti (definitely more so than Kelli O'Hara)"

Ummm....No.

jaso937
#34re: Broadway Legends of this Generation???? (future broadway legends)
Posted: 2/26/08 at 12:33am

I would say definately Audra, Sherie, Brian (D'Arcy and Stokes), Raul, Norbert, Solanga, all have legendary in their future.

jewishboy Profile Photo
jewishboy
#35re: Broadway Legends of this Generation???? (future broadway legends)
Posted: 2/26/08 at 12:39am

Also, I wish Marc Kudisch and Brent Barrett would have legendary status, but they just don't get those high profile roles.

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#36re: Broadway Legends of this Generation???? (future broadway legends)
Posted: 2/26/08 at 12:44am

Definitely Donna Murphy.
Audra McDonald, Christine Ebersole, Tonya Pinkins, Jane Krakowski, Anika Noni Rose, and Kristin Chenoweth all deserve the spot as well.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

LePetiteFromage
Posted: 2/26/08 at 12:47am

Updated On: 5/7/09 at 12:47 AM

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#38re: Broadway Legends of this Generation???? (future broadway legends)
Posted: 2/26/08 at 1:01am

I wonder if any Broadway producer is willing to hire Patinkin after THE WILD PARTY fiasco.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

LePetiteFromage
Posted: 2/26/08 at 1:12am

Updated On: 5/7/09 at 01:12 AM

Liverpool Profile Photo
Liverpool
#40re: Broadway Legends of this Generation???? (future broadway legends)
Posted: 2/26/08 at 6:05am

Well with Alice Ripley's Return to NYC, if she sticks around she has the potential to reach Legendary status.

Urban
#41re: Broadway Legends of this Generation???? (future broadway legends)
Posted: 2/26/08 at 7:03am

Urgh. The snob is starting to come out a bit, but I will not say anything.

I however will agree wholeheartly with the fact Audra, Kristen & Sutton are on their way (if not already there). Heck Sutton's rise to fame story alone make her legend worthy.

Funnily enough while there are definately legendary men out there past and present, the title is more... female orientated. It just doesn't go with a leading man's story.
Updated On: 2/26/08 at 07:03 AM

Ed_Mottershead
#42re: Broadway Legends of this Generation???? (future broadway legends)
Posted: 2/26/08 at 10:11am

How about Cheyenne Jackson?

BroadwayEd

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#43re: Broadway Legends of this Generation???? (future broadway legends)
Posted: 2/26/08 at 10:32am

if he ever returns to Broadway: John Lloyd Young

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

frontrowcentre2 Profile Photo
frontrowcentre2
#44re: Broadway Legends of this Generation???? (future broadway legends)
Posted: 2/26/08 at 11:56am

To become a "legend" the performer would have to become enough of a box-office name to draw crowds beyond the general theatre going public. It would have to be someone who has the stamina to do 8 shows a week and commit to a run for at least a year (and be prepared to run longer.)

Trouble is most of today's performers get lazy and undisciplined and skip out on performances or don't give their all every night. Too many of them are seeking fame in movies or TV, and not really interested in Broadway.

To be fair, without that TV/film exposure many of them do not achieve the marquee recognition beyond the theatre crowd.

Cast albums are NOT "soundtracks."
Live theatre does not use a "soundtrack." If it did, it wouldn't be live theatre!

I host a weekly one-hour radio program featuring cast album selections as well as songs by cabaret, jazz and theatre artists. The program, FRONT ROW CENTRE is heard Sundays 9 to 10 am and also Saturdays from 8 to 9 am (eastern times) on www.proudfm.com

Tom148502
#45re: Broadway Legends of this Generation???? (future broadway legends)
Posted: 2/26/08 at 12:28pm

Simple answer. There are none. Peters, Lupone, Buckley, and Chenoweth haven't had and never will have the careers or talent to become true legends.

pc1145N2 Profile Photo
pc1145N2
#46re: Broadway Legends of this Generation???? (future broadway legends)
Posted: 2/26/08 at 8:07pm

Wow....I certainly disagree with that!

I think that Stephanie J. Block, Cheyenne Jackson and Sutton Foster have the potential to become legends.

And I know that Peters, LuPone and to a less extent Buckley are already legends.

TheEnchantedHunter
#47re: Broadway Legends of this Generation???? (future broadway legends)
Posted: 2/26/08 at 8:10pm

Not a single person on the list puts butts in seats, the only measure of a true star and legend.

Lola Delaney
A Midwestern City

Updated On: 2/26/08 at 08:10 PM

Brave Sir Robin2 Profile Photo
Brave Sir Robin2
#48re: Broadway Legends of this Generation???? (future broadway legends)
Posted: 2/26/08 at 8:16pm

Sutton Foster
Audra McDonald
Brian Stokes Mitchell
Cheyenne Jackson (eventually)

"I saw Pavarotti play Rodolfo on stage and with his girth I thought he was about to eat the whole table at the Cafe Momus." - Dollypop

emmadny Profile Photo
emmadny

Videos