Next musical to close?

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#25re: Next musical to close?
Posted: 5/14/08 at 4:45am

I was just about to ask the same question ie Harvey Fierstein.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#26re: Next musical to close?
Posted: 5/14/08 at 5:15am

"Have you seen the show?"

Foster's stock response when she can't use words to defend her opinion.

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#27re: Next musical to close?
Posted: 5/14/08 at 5:49am

Bobby, not sure if you did it on purpose, but Foster's a "he" :)

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

TheatreBuzz2
#28re: Next musical to close?
Posted: 5/14/08 at 6:37am

Hows Young Frankenstein doing?

Drunk Chita Rivera Profile Photo
Drunk Chita Rivera
#29re: Next musical to close?
Posted: 5/14/08 at 6:48am

Young Frankenstein has got till the cast leaves. Then it goes down. And Mel can keep it running.

And to someone who said there is no one who has the Tony for Best Musical, In The Heights actually is the frontrunner and will probably win.

Blonde will last through the reality show, but I thought it wouldn't even last a few months and it's been over a year, it's also a lot better than I thought

Yankeefan007
#30re: Next musical to close?
Posted: 5/14/08 at 6:58am

You know, Foster, just because you haven't heard of them (which happens often these days, it seems), doesn't mean that other people haven't.

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#31re: Next musical to close?
Posted: 5/14/08 at 7:03am

What?

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)

jordangirl Profile Photo
jordangirl
#32re: Next musical to close?
Posted: 5/14/08 at 7:04am

george95, I HAVE seen Chicago within the past couple of months and it IS tired and needs to go.

Experience live theater. Experience paintings. Experience books. Live, look and listen like artists! ~ imaginethis
LIVE THAT LESSON!!!!!!

songanddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
#33re: Next musical to close?
Posted: 5/14/08 at 8:17am

Blonde has been going to close on here since it opened but its always bounced back, i think the reality show will keep it open until the end of the year

Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna

bertandrew2 Profile Photo
bertandrew2
#34re: Next musical to close?
Posted: 5/14/08 at 8:32am

No one though Legally Blonde would make it through this past winter. No one thought Xanadu would make it to the holidays. No one thought Cry Baby would make it to opening night.

Trekkie2
#35re: Next musical to close?
Posted: 5/14/08 at 9:04am

"No one thought Cry Baby would make it to opening night."
And thank God that they proved the critics wrong! Can you imagine a world without TWO John Waters musicals on Broadway at the same time? Chaos!

"I think of avant-garde as downtown shows where you rub waffles and chocolate on yourself."- Hunter Bell

BillyE
#36re: Next musical to close?
Posted: 5/14/08 at 10:17am

In The Heights, despite all it's accolades, has not been drawing all that well (70.2% last week). This might be the shortest lived best musical in recent history.

george95
#37re: Next musical to close?
Posted: 5/14/08 at 10:41am

Wow so somebody made fun of me for achieving Broadway Legend status for posting mindless posts. How sad.

Anyway, eli you emailed me about the CHICAGO seats and discounts, but you dont accepts emails???

James885 Profile Photo
James885
#38re: Next musical to close?
Posted: 5/14/08 at 10:45am

I think because of the all the awards publicity and the performance on the Tony telecast, Cry-Baby will probably last till the end of the summer. It'll likely close during the september slump.

Passing Strange is not an easy sell, so I think they're really going to need a few Tonys in order to make it past the summer.

Legally Blonde will probably be gone by New Years. The reality show might give it a temporary boost, but I can't see the new "star" being so big of a draw as to keep the show running into next year.

"You drank a charm to kill John Proctor's wife! You drank a charm to kill Goody Proctor!" - Betty Parris to Abigail Williams in Arthur Miller's The Crucible

Drunk Chita Rivera Profile Photo
Drunk Chita Rivera
#39re: Next musical to close?
Posted: 5/14/08 at 11:11am

In The Heights, despite all it's accolades, has not been drawing all that well (70.2% last week). This might be the shortest lived best musical in recent history.

That's not bad, not as good as they want but not closing numbers. and it just opened and no one really knows of it. After the Tony's it will take off.

buddharich
#40re: Next musical to close?
Posted: 5/14/08 at 11:41am

Passing Strange needs to close but I don't want to fight about it; I hated it, others loved it, that is all.

But I actually think A Catered Affair will close after a very very short run before the summer is over.

buddharich
#41re: Next musical to close?
Posted: 5/14/08 at 11:41am

Passing Strange needs to close but I don't want to fight about it; I hated it, others loved it, that is all.

But I actually think A Catered Affair will close after a very very short run before the summer is over.

sanda Profile Photo
sanda
#42re: Next musical to close?
Posted: 5/14/08 at 12:16pm

A Catered Affair

Failing both at boxoffice and critics, there is no point that this show can last. I say next month after Tony.

jrb_actor Profile Photo
jrb_actor
#43re: Next musical to close?
Posted: 5/14/08 at 12:22pm

Exactly how has ACA been failing at the box office, sanda? It hasn't had a money losing week yet. In fact, it's doing just fine.

TooDarnHot Profile Photo
TooDarnHot
#44re: Next musical to close?
Posted: 5/14/08 at 12:56pm

Sanda. what are you talking about.

as jrb clearly states, the box office numbers have been just fine. and the critics did NOT pan it.

while it's not saying much, ACA did get better reviews than CRY BABY.

the majority of ACA's reviews were either mixed or mixed-to-positive. nothing wrong with that!

Tunick and Wopat will win this year... that will help ACA.

BWayJunkie
#45re: Next musical to close?
Posted: 5/14/08 at 1:14pm

As DrunkChita stated, its true ITH hasn't been drawing in the numbers that I think it should be, being such a great, fun, new musical, but my mom went to see the show yesterday (the day they got 13 Tony noms!!!) and said the house was sold out. I think all of the nominations will definately boost sales. Regarding Passing Strange the Tony voters will either still be on their Spring Awakening high and give it lots of the awards or they will return to the more straight-forward and marketable musicals. Although I did like PS, I have more emotionally invested in it than most being that I know one actors. This year though seems like a huge toss up but that keeps things interesting. I don't want LB to close though :'( I liked it as a show 'cause its fun. O well. wow, brevity definately is not my strongest suit

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#46re: Next musical to close?
Posted: 5/14/08 at 1:20pm

musicaltheatrefan3, A Chorus Line has already recouped and continues to meet its weekly nut. It will be here for a while.

Thomas14850ny2 Profile Photo
Thomas14850ny2
#47re: Next musical to close?
Posted: 5/14/08 at 1:21pm

The Ambassaor is a terrible theatre, so it's lucky to have CHICAGO (a show I think has several more years left)

Dolly_Levi Profile Photo
Dolly_Levi
#48re: Next musical to close?
Posted: 5/14/08 at 1:32pm

I think Chicago will be with us for quite some time.

Laughter is much more important than applause. Applause is almost a duty. Laughter is a reward. Carol Channing

JRybka Profile Photo
JRybka
#49re: Next musical to close?
Posted: 5/14/08 at 1:53pm

Chicago gets some good casting and middle america eats it up. The real stars of that show are the ensemble who is amazing.
I have seen it basically every year for the past 10 years and I still love that show.

Mya will do some good business when she comes into it (after the foot heals)

They still have countless people they can "pop" into the show...

"Whenever I get gloomy with the state of the world, I think about the arrivals gate at Heathrow Airport. General opinion's starting to make out that we live in a world of hatred and greed, but I don't see that. It seems to me that love is everywhere. Often it's not particularly dignified or newsworthy, but it's always there - fathers and sons, mothers and daughters, husbands and wives, boyfriends, girlfriends, old friends. When the planes hit the Twin Towers, as far as I know none of the phone calls from the people on board were messages of hate or revenge - they were all messages of love. If you look for it, I've got a sneaky feeling you'll find that love actually is all around."

Videos