News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Life After Patti?

LadyRosecoe
#25re: Life After Patti?
Posted: 5/24/08 at 1:18pm

Jennifer Holliday!

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#26re: Life After Patti?
Posted: 5/24/08 at 1:19pm

"How can you expect someone to be a revelation?
To be a revelation... it would have to be unexpected"

It would be a revelation in the sense that Cyndi has never starred above the marquee in a lead female role, so she would still need to prove herself but the odds are good she would be amazing.The same way that Reba was a revelation in Annie even though she was known as a dynamic stage performer. Cyndi taking over the part would re-invent the show in a dynamic way that would probably make the show do a 180 and re-invigorate new audiences and bring the people who saw Patti back in a way that Murphy or Ebersole wouldnt (no disrespect to either-love them both).

"I don't understand this idea that someone else's performance can do anything to a memory. Smells like elitism to me."

Because there is nothing worse than a killer Broadway show that opened to raves with a diva turn dying a slow death with fumbled replacements that suck the energy out of a great production. Beating a dead horse as they say. It's not elitism, it is just my opinion. The wind goes out of the sails of revivals that are pimped out for too long. Cabaret is one example of a revival that long overstayed its welcome with wretched stunt casting.Celebrate an amazing production and let it go out on top.Many theatre lovers scramble to see original casts for that reason. The electricity can fade once replacements start.

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

MungoGypsy8232
#27re: Life After Patti?
Posted: 5/24/08 at 1:35pm

I'd love to see Toni Collete as Rose, but the odds of that happening in the US are slim. Australia is another matter though, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I think the more interesting question would be if Gypsy goes to London, will she reprise her role or will she think that 3 productions are enough and want to start anew with a different work. I think she would go, but if she chose to not star in another production because she doesn't want to tamper the memory of her, Boyd, and Laura and go the Les Mis route, Maria Friedman would probably play Rose.

Adam Rosen
#28re: Life After Patti?
Posted: 5/24/08 at 1:36pm

Oddly, though, some fantastic replacements can tarnish the memory of an original star turn.

Take Reba in AGYG - while not among Bernadette's finest work, Peters' Annie Oakley was not an embarrassing scandal like her Rose and she was received warmly, even winning Carolee Carmello's Tony for it. However, Reba was SUCH a revelation as Annie that no one really thinks of Bernadette's performance in that show at all.

If one of these "revelation" choices to replace Patti (eg Jennifer Holliday, Cyndi Lauper) were to score a personal triumph, it might be bruising to Patti's legend, although nothing a Tony, a sell-out London run (a second Olivier?) and maybe a choice sitcom role couldn't cure.

KJisgroovy Profile Photo
KJisgroovy
#29re: Life After Patti?
Posted: 5/24/08 at 1:43pm

I know what you meant. You just used the word incorrectly.

Jesus saves. I spend.

Caroline-Q-or-TBoo Profile Photo
Caroline-Q-or-TBoo
#30re: Life After Patti?
Posted: 5/24/08 at 1:59pm

I would hardly call Bernedette's Rose an "embarrassing scandal". She was fantsatic in the role, I thought.

Cyndi as Rose, however, would be spectacular.

"Picture "The View," with the wisecracking, sympathetic sweethearts of that ABC television show replaced by a panel of embittered, suffering or enraged Arab women" -the Times review of Black Eyed

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#31re: Life After Patti?
Posted: 5/24/08 at 2:06pm

Actually, I don't think I used it incorrectedly. A revelation can mean to disclose or make known. I think anyone taking on a role that they could tank in makes it a revelation if they succeed. She's never done anything like Rose before so she would be making that side of her talent known. It's a gamble.

The NY Times called Bernadette a "revelation" in their review of Gypsy revival. I think the same could be applied to Cyn.

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

MungoGypsy8232
#32re: Life After Patti?
Posted: 5/24/08 at 2:27pm

I could argue that Cyndi couldn't sing the score the way it was meant to be sung, but then again did Tyne? I think it would be interesting to see her take on the role, but I'm still skeptical about calling it spectacular until I see it. I would still prefer to see Christine or Donna get to take a stab. And futhermore, I'm still curious about the movie casting.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#33re: Life After Patti?
Posted: 5/24/08 at 2:32pm

Honestly, the only other Broadway Rose besides Merman who sang the score as it was meant to be sung is Patti.

Lansbury sounded great, but she was in MUCH lower keys.
Tyne...well..yikes.
Not that she really matters. But I read Linda Lavin used Lansbury's low keys.
Bernadette can obviously sing. But her voice just couldn't live up the score.

So that leaves us with Patti. Patti has stated the score is not a struggle for her, because she has the perfect keys for her voice. And she's really the first revival Rose to belt these songs in the style of Merman.

Updated On: 5/24/08 at 02:32 PM

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#34re: Life After Patti?
Posted: 5/24/08 at 2:43pm

It would be amazing if they could get Bette.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#35re: Life After Patti?
Posted: 5/24/08 at 2:44pm

I don't know if Laurents would allow Bette. He has said he felt she would be be a good Rose. But he feels she just played herself, Norma Desmond, and sometime Rose in the TV movie which he loathes.

Updated On: 5/24/08 at 02:44 PM

Glory Profile Photo
Glory
#36re: Life After Patti?
Posted: 5/24/08 at 2:45pm

do any of you guys think that Bebe would be able to take on the role?

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#37re: Life After Patti?
Posted: 5/24/08 at 2:46pm

I actually think Bebe could be quite good. Obviously she isn't a belter like Patti. But she has a good voice. And she's a wonderful actress.

WiCkEDrOcKS
#38re: Life After Patti?
Posted: 5/24/08 at 2:48pm

I believe he said she had her moments in the TV movie so It'd be great to see what he can do to help turn her so-so performance into a great one.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#39re: Life After Patti?
Posted: 5/24/08 at 2:50pm

His exact words were she played herself, Norma Desmond, and sometimes Rose. It's from the NY1 interview.

I would rather see someone new like Bebe.

WiCkEDrOcKS
#40re: Life After Patti?
Posted: 5/24/08 at 2:59pm

I think Bebe would be terribly miscast. Marin Mazzie?

H.Higgins Profile Photo
H.Higgins
#41re: Life After Patti?
Posted: 5/24/08 at 3:04pm

I imagine Patti will be with the revival until it closes. For a couple of reasons:

1) I doubt she's anxious to leave; she's having the time of her life in the role of a lifetime

but more importantly,

2) The production will probably run for about a year, maybe somewhere between one and two years. If it's a year, she's contracted for that year. If they have advance sales and it looks like it will keep running for several more months past her contracted year, I would think that she would extend her for another 6 months or so and then see where they are then.

But that's just my two cents.

MungoGypsy8232
#42re: Life After Patti?
Posted: 5/24/08 at 5:06pm

yeah, the only people who have sang the score the way it was meant to be sung has been Ethel and Patti. I'm not a huge fan of Lansbury's Rose because I feel she played it too soft/cartoonish but that's just my opinion. Tyne Daly had the kinda Rose you'd expect of a Hollywood actress who wanted to play Rose but was unable to sing so made up for it with acting. I never heard Linda Lavin sing the role, so I cannot comment on her performance. As for Bernadette's Rose, I kind of feel bad because as an accomplished actress this was her ultimate diva tets and she didn't come off too well. Regionally speaking, Betty Buckley was way too heavy for the role. Again, just my opinions.

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#43re: Life After Patti?
Posted: 5/24/08 at 5:28pm

Patti LaBelle would make us forget LaPone in a nano second.

Gypsy9 Profile Photo
Gypsy9
#44re: Life After Patti?
Posted: 5/24/08 at 6:31pm

I have to disagree with the negative comments about Tyne Daly's Rose. Daly has tremendous stage presence and acted the part well, so I sort of forgave her not singing the part as well as others have. I saw her in it several times and always enjoyed the experience. Linda Lavin replaced Daly only for a short time and when GYPSY transferred to the Marquis Theatre from the St. James, Daly resumed her role. I saw Linda Lavin on New Year's Eve and thought that she was mis-cast. It certainly wasn't a gala New Year's Eve for me. I thought she was quite bad as Rose, both as a singer and as an actress.

I actually think there are some very good things about the Bette Midler TV movie. It is very faithful to the stage production, with the talented Bonnie Walker again reproducing the original Jerome Robbins choreography. Midler sings much of the score well, although her "Everything's Coming Up Roses" was not as good as it should have been. Herbie is well acted by Peter Riegert, but Cynthia Gibbs as Louise lacks the needed charisma that Sandra Church in the OBC and the current Laura Benanti has. Still, it is comforting to me to be able to see GYPSY's likable Vaudeville scenes anytime I feel like it. I never tire of the farmboys singing "Broadway, Broadway". LOL.

I agree that Patti LuPone sings the score the way it was meant to be sung and her performance is quite wonderful. I'm sure that she won't be replaced by another actress in the current production. Remember, this production is very much an Arthur Laurents production and he has found his Rose in LuPone.

Still, there will never be a Rose like Ethel Merman's Rose.

"Madam Rose...and her daughter...Gypsy!"
Updated On: 5/24/08 at 06:31 PM

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#45re: Life After Patti?
Posted: 5/24/08 at 7:08pm

Patti LaBelle would make us forget LaPone in a nano second.

- I guess you haven't seen LaBelle try to act. I've heard it's a horror. I love LaBelle's voice, but she would have too much of a hard time sticking to the melody.

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#46re: Life After Patti?
Posted: 5/24/08 at 7:12pm

it was a joke lunkhead, geez.

glitterandjazzhands Profile Photo
glitterandjazzhands
#47re: Life After Patti?
Posted: 5/24/08 at 9:41pm

I think once Patti leaves the show will close. Not saying the show is bad and can't stand on its own or anything, I just think they need her star power. It's not 'GYPSY starring Patti LuPone' its 'PATTI LUPONE GYPSY'.

OrdinaryJukebox
#48re: Life After Patti?
Posted: 5/24/08 at 11:30pm

Idina Menzel? No? I jest...hehe

What about Mary Testa?

-Vincent

SirNotAppearing Profile Photo
SirNotAppearing
#49re: Life After Patti?
Posted: 5/24/08 at 11:37pm

Eden Espinoza told me she's going to be the final Rose in Gypsy.

Videos