pixeltracker

Patti LuPone at Les Mouches on CD!- Page 2

Patti LuPone at Les Mouches on CD!

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#25re: Patti LuPone at Les Mouches on CD!
Posted: 8/14/08 at 6:49pm

I can't believe some rather have Kritzer instead of the real thing. You really think Patti and her camp would want to share this release with Kritzer's wannabe version?

theaterkid1015 Profile Photo
theaterkid1015
#26re: Patti LuPone at Les Mouches on CD!
Posted: 8/14/08 at 6:53pm

Some of us are fans of both. It's like polytheism.

Some people paint, some people sew, I meddle.

jsg03jd Profile Photo
jsg03jd
#27re: Patti LuPone at Les Mouches on CD!
Posted: 8/14/08 at 8:00pm

Well, people of a certain age would be the only ones who would know about Patti LuPone's Les Mouches shenanigans. Had it not been for Leslie Kritzer's show, a whole generation of fans would never have even known about it. The really effed up thing about this situation is that Kritzer was supposed to release her version, but I think LuPone had to pull her diva act and put a stop to those plans so that LuPone could release her own version.

LuPone should give really props to Kritzer because the interest in the original show is partly attributable to Kritzer's sold out gigs at Joe's Pub. And Kritzer's record deal got screwed in the process.

That's showbusiness for you. But what goes around, comes around, as they say.

jsg03jd Profile Photo
jsg03jd
#28re: Patti LuPone at Les Mouches on CD!

Updated On: 8/14/08 at 08:00 PM

jsg03jd Profile Photo
jsg03jd
#29re: Patti LuPone at Les Mouches on CD!

Updated On: 8/14/08 at 08:00 PM

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#30re: Patti LuPone at Les Mouches on CD!
Posted: 8/14/08 at 8:13pm

I think you are totally out of line, Jsg.
It's PATTI LUPONE'S show. Quite frankly she could do whatever she wants with/about it. Updated On: 8/14/08 at 08:13 PM

givesmevoice Profile Photo
givesmevoice
#31re: Patti LuPone at Les Mouches on CD!
Posted: 8/14/08 at 8:33pm

I can imagine one issue was that Leslie's act was cute and sweet, a nice homage. but then once it really took off and she was planning on making it much more commercial...well, I know I'd be annoyed if someone was trying to really make it off of my image and show.

what would you do if someone did something like this with Liza With a Z?

When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#32re: Patti LuPone at Les Mouches on CD!
Posted: 8/14/08 at 8:45pm

I'd have to agree with you, Voice.

husk_charmer
#33re: Patti LuPone at Les Mouches on CD!
Posted: 8/14/08 at 9:01pm

Liza with a Z is the concert I wanted to recreate.

If Krtizer can have LuPone and Wainwright can have Judy, I can have Liza.

http://www.youtube.com/huskcharmer

givesmevoice Profile Photo
givesmevoice
#34re: Patti LuPone at Les Mouches on CD!
Posted: 8/14/08 at 9:02pm

I'd have to agree with you, Voice.

sweet, that's like the Pope telling me I'm going to Heaven.

When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad

Raviolisun Profile Photo
Raviolisun
#35re: Patti LuPone at Les Mouches on CD!
Posted: 8/14/08 at 10:10pm

Holy ****, I can't wait.

One time, Patti LuPone punched me in the face...

It was awesome.
- theaterkid1015

chino Profile Photo
chino
#36re: Patti LuPone at Les Mouches on CD!
Posted: 8/14/08 at 10:22pm

This is beyond exciting!!!

C4b2a3b
#37re: Patti LuPone at Les Mouches on CD!
Posted: 8/14/08 at 11:14pm

"This is like having a baseball signed by Babe Ruth…but for gays."

A hilarious and true statement from the Sh-k-boom website in response to the news.

According to theatermania, the CD will be released November 11th.

http://www.theatermania.com/content/news.cfm/story/14910 Updated On: 8/14/08 at 11:14 PM

jsg03jd Profile Photo
jsg03jd
#38re: Patti LuPone at Les Mouches on CD!
Posted: 8/14/08 at 11:44pm

No, ljay889, I am not out of line at all.

Everyone knows that Leslie Kritzer only proceeded with her show with LuPone's blessing, and Kritzer would not have done it without LuPone green lighting it.

When the opportunity for Leslie Kritzer to record and release a CD of Patti LuPone material presented itself, LuPone realized that there was money to be made out of the commercial success of Kritzer's show, and LuPone seized that opportunity to make money for herself even though Kritzer worked her ass off and rightly deserved her own LESLIE KRITZER AS PATTI LUPONE AT LES MOUCHES CD.

Essentially, Kritzer was screwed royally because after all was said and done, only LuPone's CD could be released, and Kritzer's was to be shelved.

Yes, LuPone could do as she damn well pleases with her own material. But even the copyright laws provide that Leslie Kritzer's own show stands on its own and does not likely constitute an infringement of any sort. Hence, the LuPone and Kritzer CDs could have been released separate and apart from each other or as companion pieces. One didn't have to be tossed aside in favor of the other.

LuPone too was once an aspiring, rising actress-singer. It just leaves such a bad taste in the mouth that LuPone, whom Kritzer admires and adores, ruined Kritzer's chances to have a CD of hers released. Not to mention a letdown to Kritzer's fans who enjoyed her Joe's Pub appearances tremendously.

LuPone has not earned her difficult reputation for nothing. And karma is a bitch, so we shall see.

And, Voice, this is a business. Money solves many issues and problems if the parties are willing to explore solutions. Updated On: 8/14/08 at 11:44 PM

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#39re: Patti LuPone at Les Mouches on CD!
Posted: 8/14/08 at 11:49pm

LuPone has not earned her difficult reputation for nothing. And karma is a bitch, so we shall see

- Yeah. That difficult reputation that people said would keep her from a SECOND TONY? That one??

Lets see if two show Kritzer will have half of the career of LuPone. But to say Karma will strike LuPone because of something SHE created is pretty ridiculous.
Updated On: 8/14/08 at 11:49 PM

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#40re: Patti LuPone at Les Mouches on CD!
Posted: 8/14/08 at 11:52pm

So this is like a professional release of a bootleg? Can we talk about it on BWW?

bluesoprano Profile Photo
bluesoprano
#41re: Patti LuPone at Les Mouches on CD!
Posted: 8/15/08 at 12:04am

Very excited to see this performance coming out on CD...just another cd to add to the Patti collection.

Broadway Baby 2
#42re: Patti LuPone at Les Mouches on CD!
Posted: 8/15/08 at 12:18am

jsg-
If you created a show would you want someone to record their self as you doing your show and make profit of of it? I hope Patti did exercise her right to have her show only released with her performing it. That does not make her a diva or a bitch. The point is that she created the show and she should get all rights to the material. She should not have to have her cd compete with an imitation cd. Although imitation is the sencerist form of flatery.
Updated On: 8/15/08 at 12:18 AM

Broadway Baby 2
#43re: Patti LuPone at Les Mouches on CD!
Posted: 8/15/08 at 12:22am

I was born in 1981, a year after Patti performed Les Mouches. I knew all about the show way before Kritzer performed it honey.

jsg03jd Profile Photo
jsg03jd
#44re: Patti LuPone at Les Mouches on CD!
Posted: 8/15/08 at 12:22am

ljay, you again completely miss my point. LuPone is an admittedly difficult person and she herself has said this in so many words in interviews and the like purportedly in her pursuit of excellence, so whatever.

As for the karma, I refer to LuPone's quashing an aspiring actress's desire to release a recording of her voice to the market. Basically, LuPone stepped on someone who was trying to forge a career for herself. That's the potential karmic payback to which LuPone may be subjected, and has nothing to do whatsoever with shows LuPone did decades ago. You didn't read my post correctly.

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#45re: Patti LuPone at Les Mouches on CD!
Posted: 8/15/08 at 12:27am

jsg03jd--you do Leslie a disservice by coming on this thread and being such a b*tch.

If you truly love her, celebrate her. Don't fight battles she wouldn't you to fight.

But if, as I suspect, you don't bare about Kritzer but are only here to put down LuPone, STFU, okay?

Broadway Baby 2
#46re: Patti LuPone at Les Mouches on CD!
Posted: 8/15/08 at 12:32am

Patti would not and did not in any way prevent Leslie from having her own cd. Leslie can release a solo cd if she pleases. She just cant release a cd of her self performing Patti's show. I dont think its that hard to understand.

ahmelie Profile Photo
ahmelie
#47re: Patti LuPone at Les Mouches on CD!
Posted: 8/15/08 at 12:32am

When the opportunity for Leslie Kritzer to record and release a CD of Patti LuPone material presented itself, LuPone realized that there was money to be made out of the commercial success of Kritzer's show, and LuPone seized that opportunity to make money for herself even though Kritzer worked her ass off and rightly deserved her own LESLIE KRITZER AS PATTI LUPONE AT LES MOUCHES CD.

Essentially, Kritzer was screwed royally because after all was said and done, only LuPone's CD could be released, and Kritzer's was to be shelved.

And you know this... how?

Theatre is a safe place to do the unsafe things that need to be done. -John Patrick Shanley

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#48re: Patti LuPone at Les Mouches on CD!
Posted: 8/15/08 at 12:40am

Exactly what Broadway Baby said.

Ad Lick It
#49re: Patti LuPone at Les Mouches on CD!
Posted: 8/15/08 at 3:12am

Kids, kids, kids, come down from the "Shoshanna should play Mama Rose" tree house for five minutes and face reality.

Neither Patti nor Leslie ever had the fantasy that there was a serious amount of money to be made off of anyone's CDs of Les Mouches... maybe if Kelli Clarkson did the act, but no Broadway singer's album sells enough to really mean much moolah.

Patti didn't want some other bitch mimicking her, particularly as she was about to open in such an important career milestone role as Rose - and the amount of controversy over her performance to this day (months after the rave reviews and seemingly limitless accolades) proves that she was wise to avoid extra areas of potential derision.

Say what you will about copyrights and copycats and karma, but this was never, ever about cash.

Videos