13: anyone interested?

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#25re: 13: anyone interested?
Posted: 8/15/08 at 4:16pm

"I dont think anyone was bashing or attacking this show; rather, expressing their own interest in it. It's okay for people to have different interests, talk about them etc."

As I was saying, it is okay to have your opinion, but why try to put the show down before you saw it? Bryant Park performances out in the hot sun don't always give the best representation of the show. It is okay to not be interested in something, but why start a thread about it with nothing to back up why you think that or the basis of your judgement?

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

millie_dillmount
#26re: 13: anyone interested?
Posted: 8/15/08 at 4:17pm

"I have no desire to see the show and I dont think its going to last very long. It has flop written all over it."

One other thing, people couldn't imagine how In the Heights would last on Broadway, given that it had a difficult time filling the theaters off-Broadway, and now look at the hit it is now.

Jaystarr, come on this thread and post your opinion since you saw it!

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

Kev14 Profile Photo
Kev14
#27re: 13: anyone interested?
Posted: 8/15/08 at 4:18pm

Having not created the thread I don't know why they started it.

I can say the thing that made me first open the thread was to see what other people were saying who are looking forward to this show.

Upcoming Shows: Quilters, A Bronx Tale, August: Osage County, Wicked, Spring Awakening, Little House on the Prairie
Updated On: 8/15/08 at 04:18 PM

ILoveMyDictionary Profile Photo
ILoveMyDictionary
#28re: 13: anyone interested?
Posted: 8/15/08 at 4:18pm

I'm not dying to see it, but I am curious. I know two people who were involved with the show at some point, but didn't get into the Bway cast. I also have friends who saw it at Goodspeed and they all loved it. I just want to see this show so I can finally discuss it.

millie_dillmount
#29re: 13: anyone interested?
Posted: 8/15/08 at 4:19pm

"I also have friends who saw it at Goodspeed and they all loved it."

I didn't realize this was at the Goodspeed in my homestate. When?

ILoveMyDictionary Profile Photo
ILoveMyDictionary
#30re: 13: anyone interested?
Posted: 8/15/08 at 4:21pm

It played for a month from May-June.

mallardo Profile Photo
mallardo
#31re: 13: anyone interested?
Posted: 8/15/08 at 4:28pm

I saw it in LA and liked it a lot. It's Jason Robert Brown, folks, it's major league music. The story is fun and clever and, yes, over-20s will enjoy it. Over 50s maybe not so much...

Faced with these Loreleis, what man can moralize!

Weez Profile Photo
Weez
#32re: 13: anyone interested?
Posted: 8/15/08 at 4:29pm

First, everyone was whining how Broadway was becoming a "theme park" with shows like Little Mermaid, Shrek, etc.

Now he have an original musical coming and people are still complaining?

If you're going to posit this view, you should research things more thoroughly. I personally am not enthused about '13' but I am enthused about 'Shrek', thereby making me consistent with your somewhat narrow view that people should either be on the "theme park" side of the fence or the "totally original" side of the fence, and not at all deserving of the accusation of whining and complaining no matter what a show is.

'Shrek' counts as an original musical in my book anyway, but if you weren't even going to go into the depth explored in my first paragraph, you *certainly* wouldn't be going in-depth enough to determine people's actual opinions in detail. XD

millie_dillmount
#33re: 13: anyone interested?
Posted: 8/15/08 at 4:34pm

Weez, I wasn't trying to single you out. I went back and read what you wrote, and you at least tried to explain what your issue with the show was.

I was just observing how most people seemed kind of put off by Shrek (which, was based on a book and a highly popular film, therefore not making it 100% original in the storyline), and now it seems that people are the same about 13.

It seems like people are never pleased with what is out there.

Weez Profile Photo
Weez
#34re: 13: anyone interested?
Posted: 8/15/08 at 4:37pm

It's true; I should've been on a debating team as a child, I just like to argue sometimes and don't really mind which side I go for, as long as it's the opposite of what the other person is saying. re: 13: anyone interested?

Face it, it just wouldn't be BroadwayWorld if people didn't bitch about anything and everything. re: 13: anyone interested?

B3TA07 Profile Photo
B3TA07
#35re: 13: anyone interested?
Posted: 8/15/08 at 4:55pm

Holla.

-Benjamin
--http://www.benjaminadgate.com/

scaryclowns223 Profile Photo
scaryclowns223
#36re: 13: anyone interested?
Posted: 8/15/08 at 5:43pm

There is one and only one thing in this world that gives me confidence in 13: Ken Davenport.

The dude knows a good product from a bad one, and he is a brilliant producer. I am still doubtful, but something tells me that he would only attach himself to this project if he knew it would be excellent.

ClumsyDude15 Profile Photo
ClumsyDude15
#37re: 13: anyone interested?
Posted: 8/15/08 at 5:47pm

I'm 19 and will be 20 on Tuesday and I really wanna see this.
It's worth a shot.
Plus, it looks cute.

"Anybody that goes to the theater, I think we’re all misfits, so we ended up on stage or in the audience.” --- Patti LuPone.

Friendofethelm
#38re: 13: anyone interested?
Posted: 8/15/08 at 5:47pm

In my opinion, it is unwise and unfair to judge any show's quality till one has seen it, and even then, it's a crap shoot, given the fact that theatre, by its nature, always changes. I have seen terrific and lousy performances of the same show (CHICAGO is a good example) and I've seen bad musicals become good ones during its developmental process (KISS OF THE SPIDER WOMAN).

Since its L.A. premiere, 13 has a new cast, director, and a new co-librettist. If the subject matter, the talent and track record of its creators, and the advance material out there interests you enough to see it, do so. If it doesn't, don't. But to convert that interest or lack thereof into an opinion of the show's merits is premature and prejudicial, IMHO.

Weez Profile Photo
Weez
#39re: 13: anyone interested?
Posted: 8/15/08 at 6:04pm

Friendofethelm makes excellent points. I agree heartily, and point out that my original post was merely showing a lack of interest due to a personal prejudice, and not any judgement on the final product in the slightest. :)

barcelona20
#40re: 13: anyone interested?
Posted: 8/15/08 at 6:06pm

Everyone makes mistakes. Look at McCollum and Seller with High Fidelity. That's not saying this one will be a mistake, but I am very interested to see how it sells!

walkedthroughmany Profile Photo
walkedthroughmany
#41re: 13: anyone interested?
Posted: 8/15/08 at 6:10pm

I saw the show at Goodspeed.

It's cute.

It's 14/15-year-olds. They're not seasoned actors, but they serve the purpose of the musical. They're cute.

There's nothing sensational about the show. It's not particularly hilarious or tuneful or eye-popping, and I pray they've since fixed the confusing downer of an ending, but at the end of the show you want to stand up because -- as I said -- these kids are 14/15. I felt proud of them for getting through the show, however much it did or didn't "wow" me.

Having seen professional productions of "13" and "High School Musical," I think I'd rather sit through the latter a second time -- the stories and jokes are equally as tired in both, and the kids may have been slightly older in "HSM," but the numbers were a lot more infectious and there was more impressive dancing and singing. There, I said it.

#42re: 13: anyone interested?
Posted: 8/15/08 at 9:51pm

I clearly started this thread in posing a simple question. I wondered if there was any real interest in this kind of a show on Broadway...and like with some other posts,..I agree that children on stage for 2 hours can be a little daunting. Singing children at that...is worse. And dancing and singing children,...can be painful.
I also haven't heard or read any excitement behind it....so I was curious as to finding out if anyone here has heard anything. good or bad. or seen the previous versions.
i guess we'll wait and see.

but i don't plan on paying good earned money on something like that,..unless it was for a children's charity or a benefit.

TomMonster Profile Photo
TomMonster
#43re: 13: anyone interested?
Posted: 8/15/08 at 11:19pm

I'm interested...cause JRB can write music...and anyone out here who wants this to fail before seeing it can just shut the **** up...

That is all.

And the first time I've EVER been bitchy on BWW!

re: 13: anyone interested?

"It's not so much do what you like, as it is that you like what you do." SS

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana." GMarx

MrBundles Profile Photo
MrBundles
#44re: 13: anyone interested?
Posted: 8/15/08 at 11:25pm

aw...my Tommie said a swear word.

MISS YOU!

*edit*
re: 13: anyone interested?
who are these guys?

Your fupa is showing.
Updated On: 8/15/08 at 11:25 PM

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#45re: 13: anyone interested?
Posted: 8/15/08 at 11:30pm

There is a huge difference between not being interested in a show and tearing it apart without seeing it. (and I don't think the poster did anything wrong by posing the question)

I am not interested in seeing this show. Do I wish it to fail? Not at all, if it is quality and it finds an audience -- great. From what I have heard from and of it, it's not something I want to spend my money or time on. Is it impossible for my mind to be changed? Stranger things have been known to happen.

I have no desire to see Jersey Boys either even though EVERY one I know that's seen it loves it. That doesn't make me a bad person....just one that never cared for or about the subject matter.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

thevolleyballer
#46re: 13: anyone interested?
Posted: 8/15/08 at 11:43pm

millie_dillmount, I saw the show in LA, and I saw the recent performance in Bryant Park as well. I've seen how the show and the cast has changed and developed, and thus, I've seen it with roughly two different exams with changes to the score and changes to the style. And I've not been interested in either one.

I don't believe I'm speaking for everyone, but in my dual experiences with this show, I've failed to have a great interest, and I've simply shared my opinion. Put down the damn pitchfork.

Magica Profile Photo
Magica
#47re: 13: anyone interested?
Posted: 8/15/08 at 11:45pm

not interested. i had the chance to see this in LA and passed. if i wanted to see tweens on stage i'll stop by the local middle school and watch for free.

HoshiForever Profile Photo
HoshiForever
#48re: 13: anyone interested?
Posted: 8/15/08 at 11:47pm

Yes. But only b/c I adore JRB.

little_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
#49re: 13: anyone interested?
Posted: 8/15/08 at 11:51pm

I'm so disappointed in Jason Robert Brown for writing this. But perhaps it will surprise me.

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.

Videos