lisaatje009 Profile Photo
lisaatje009
#25re: Least Favourite Line?
Posted: 10/29/08 at 10:50am

The line I hate is from Rent
"Excuse me if I'm off track,
But if you're so wise then tell me
Why do you need smack?"

I totally agree with you! I can't stand that line either. I love the rest of the song though..

jayclay
#26re: Least Favourite Line?
Posted: 10/29/08 at 12:22pm

From Jesus Christ Superstar: "to conquer death you only have to die". Huh? If you die haven't you given in to death? Survivng would be conquering death.

SeptemberKel
#27re: Least Favourite Line?
Posted: 10/29/08 at 7:24pm

I completely second the Wicked line that bwayfan9 said. It makes me violent. re: Least Favourite Line?

Also, from Sweet Charity: "He said, 'I'm going to Bloomingdales.' I said, 'I'm going to Bloomingdales." So, we hoofed it over to Bloomingdales." It irritates me.

"Of course there is the castle - the ruined castle. I find it lovely. Probably because it's ruined, I suppose." - Passion

Updated On: 10/29/08 at 07:24 PM

VonTussleGirl Profile Photo
VonTussleGirl
#28re: Least Favourite Line?
Posted: 10/29/08 at 8:13pm

From The Last Five Years:

"You and you and nothing but you
'Mahvelous' novelist, you!
Isn't he wonderful, just twenty-eight
The savior of writing
You and you and nothing but you
Miles and piles of you"

I get the idea, it just seems a tad excessive.

theaterguy11 Profile Photo
theaterguy11
#29re: Least Favourite Line?
Posted: 10/29/08 at 8:30pm

It's in Company...

"He always looks like he's keeping score....who's winning Robert?" (usually followed by a snicker)

I don't know why but all of those lines in that section come off so....ugh! I just want Bobby to punch them in the face and say "who the **** are YOU!?"

Dre2387 Profile Photo
Dre2387
#30re: Least Favourite Line?
Posted: 10/30/08 at 10:10am

From A Little Night Music: "Stage managers are not nannies dear, they don't have the talent."

I stage managed that show recently and every time Madame Armfeldt said that line, I put up the finger.

I know it's not the worst line, but I hate it. Probably because stage managers are nannies backstage half the time.

<--- the set of A Midsummer Night's Dream that I was assistant stage manager for during the 2007 season at the STNJ outdoor stage.

-Dre-
You must remember all the same that at the crux of every game is knowing when it's time to leave the table... And it's important to be artful in your exit. No turning back, you must accept the con is done... It was a ball, it was a blast. And it's a shame it couldn't last. But every chapter has to end, you must agree.
~Dirty Rotten Scoundrels~

There's a special kind of people known as show people. We live in a world full of dreams. Sometimes we're not too certain what's false and what's real. But we're seldom in doubt about what we feel.
~Curtains~

It is a far, far better thing I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest I go to, than I have ever known.
~A Tale of Two Cities ~

Paul W. Thompson Profile Photo
Paul W. Thompson
#31re: Least Favourite Line?
Posted: 10/30/08 at 6:27pm

Hosanna Hey Zanna Zanna Zanna Ho
Zanna Hey Zanna Hosannaaaaaaa

The immortal Tim Rice...........

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#32re: Least Favourite Line?
Posted: 10/30/08 at 6:38pm

O Tim Rice... he's written so many wonderful lines that belong in this thread.

~Steven

Paul W. Thompson Profile Photo
Paul W. Thompson
#33re: Least Favourite Line?
Posted: 10/30/08 at 6:39pm

I know, right?

Eastwickian Profile Photo
Eastwickian
#34re: Least Favourite Line?
Posted: 10/30/08 at 7:31pm

Mary Poppins:

"Jelly isn't jelly 'til you set it
Anything can happen if you let it"

I saw the first ever performance of the show and thought that that was just a place-holder until they could come up with something better. It never happened.
Updated On: 10/30/08 at 07:31 PM

Weez Profile Photo
Weez
#35re: Least Favourite Line?
Posted: 10/30/08 at 7:42pm

I love Tim Rice. He's so successful and yet so consistently bad. He's raised "terrible lyrics" to a new artform. re: Least Favourite Line? Although Frank Wildhorn will totally wrestle him to be King of Terrible Lyrics; half of the reason I love 'The Civil War' is because of the awful lyrics. The song I keep coming back to though as the most painful to sit through is 'Missing You (My Bill)':

"The parlor roof still leaks a bit
Where the gable meets the eave
You always meant to get to it
But I know you had to leave"

Beautiful. I'm tearing up just thinking about it. re: Least Favourite Line? (Although "I sit among my charts and maps/and hear the lonely call of Taps" is currently knocking inside my skull and insisting I bring it up too. God BLESS Frank Wildhorn's 'Civil War'!)

PiraguaGuy2
#36re: Least Favourite Line?
Posted: 10/30/08 at 7:51pm

Joseph... is a goldmine.

"You will soon be free my friend
So do not worry any more
The king will let you out of here,
You'll buttle as you did before"

Formerly SirNotAppearing - Joined 3/08

somethingwicked Profile Photo
somethingwicked
#37re: Least Favourite Line?
Posted: 10/30/08 at 7:57pm

""Will you pay for stuff I buy?
And bake me cake and pie?
And hold my when I cry?"

From "Bend and Snap" in LEGALLY BLONDE

Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Tony Kushner: You can sing it at my funeral.

mariusmyhomeboy Profile Photo
mariusmyhomeboy
#38re: Least Favourite Line?
Posted: 10/30/08 at 8:02pm

"you pretend to create and observe when you really detach from feeling alive"
from Rent.

Something about "detach from feeling alive" makes me cringe. It takes me right out of the song.

Your latest 7in sounds obscene unless you spin it at a 45.

eatlasagna
#39re: Least Favourite Line?
Posted: 10/30/08 at 9:50pm

from Miss Saigon

This little girl we could be in a sack, for what it cost me to buy a big mac... aaaargh.. horrible line!

Room 317 Kim sings: Oh yes madamme my son is Chris'. I had a dream for my son to belong... I just think the OLC version flowed much better... every time i hear the current version i think it just sounds odd...

from Wicked

Brave evil witch hunters I would join you if i could... that line sounds so weird when its sung...

Wickedness should be punished but good... i understand what he means but it sounds so odd

from RENT

I don't care too much for the "poo poo it" line

from Les Miserables

I just want to say that i dislike some of the changes from the show made to cut it to a shorter time... especially Fantine's death and Cosette's verses in IN MY LIFE

withoutyou08
#40re: Least Favourite Line?
Posted: 10/30/08 at 10:06pm

tottally agree on that "poo-poo" it line lmao its so weird. kinda funny but not my fav lol

what if susan blackwell hung out with boq, trekkie monster, the SOL soloist#2, and the piragua guy on a daily basis?

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#41re: Least Favourite Line?
Posted: 10/30/08 at 10:43pm

I totally second Or third the reaction to the ACL Nothing line:
SO makes sense in context.

One of the favorite things in any show I direct: figure out the least favorite line of the show. And then torture the actor that has to deliver it!

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

lisaatje009 Profile Photo
lisaatje009
#42re: Least Favourite Line?
Posted: 10/31/08 at 6:22am

Legally Blonde:

Excuse me would you teach me that
I'm tired of living alone with my cat.
-
It just irritates me.

ColorTheHours048 Profile Photo
ColorTheHours048
#43re: Least Favourite Line?
Posted: 10/31/08 at 12:47pm

"All of this time I planned I'd be patient and you would love me again;
You'd come to respect my mind and at last you'd find you could love me again."
^^ "So Much Better" -Legally Blonde :: Really? There was NOTHING they could find to rhyme?! It happens again in LB too, but I'm too lazy to remember it.

Also, the entirety of "Enough" from In The Heights makes me cringe. The "No no no no no; no no no no no" parts make me die. The whole song is just.... IDK!! Something about it!!

jasonf Profile Photo
jasonf
#44re: Least Favourite Line?
Posted: 10/31/08 at 1:15pm

I'm just going to cut and paste the end of Real Nice Clambake from Carousel. Hammerstein is capable of so much better.

Enoch:
Remember when we raked them red hot lobsters
Out of the driftwood fire?
They sizzled and crackled and sputtered a song
Fittin' for an angels' choir.

Girls:
Fittin' for an angels,
Fittin' for an angels,
Fittin' for an angels choir.

Nettie:
We slit 'em down the back and peppered 'em good,
And doused 'em in melted butter.

Carrie:
Then we tore away the claws and cracked 'em with our teeth
Cuz we weren't in the mood to putter.

Girls:
Fittin' for an angels,
Fittin' for an angels,
Fittin' for an angels choir.

A guy:
Then at last come the clams.

Guys:
Steamed under rockweed and poppin' from their shells.

All:
Just how many of 'em galloped down our gullets,
We couldn't say ourselves, oh,

This was a real nice clambake,
We're mighty glad we came.
The vittles we et
Were good, you bet,
The company was the same.
Our hearts are warm, our bellies are full,
And we are feeling prime.
This was a real nice clambake,
And we all had a real good time.
We said it 'afore and we'll say it again,
We all had a real good time!

Hi, Shirley Temple Pudding.

Schmerg_The_Impaler Profile Photo
Schmerg_The_Impaler
#45re: Least Favourite Line?
Posted: 10/31/08 at 5:41pm

Tim Rice is notable in that his lyrics are not great, but his bio in the Playbill is always really, really enjoyable... SO many lyrics in "Evita" that I could list here.

It's not just Tim Rice who contributes pretty nasty lyrics to Andrew Lloyd Webber musicals...In "Woman in White," there are loads of shockingly horrible lines. The characters are always saying what they're doing as they're doing it. I thought the lyrics to "You Can Get Away With Anything" were great, but the rest of the songs just left me scratching my head.

In my pants, she has burst like the music of angels, the light of the sun! --Marius Pantsmercy

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#46re: Least Favourite Line?
Posted: 10/31/08 at 6:34pm

You're right Schmerg... Andrew Lloyd Webber always works with the worst lyricists. Either that or the lyrics that good lyricists write for an ALW score are horrible.

~Steven

Schmerg_The_Impaler Profile Photo
Schmerg_The_Impaler
#47re: Least Favourite Line?
Posted: 10/31/08 at 6:47pm

Well, David Zippel did do the lyrics for Disney's Hercules, which I thought for the most part were pretty clever. So I have to say it's something about ALW's music that retards the quality of the lyrics...

In my pants, she has burst like the music of angels, the light of the sun! --Marius Pantsmercy
Updated On: 10/31/08 at 06:47 PM

Weez Profile Photo
Weez
#48re: Least Favourite Line?
Posted: 10/31/08 at 6:51pm

"An artist is only so good as his tools", or some such variant. re: Least Favourite Line?

winter_sky Profile Photo
winter_sky
#49re: Least Favourite Line?
Posted: 11/1/08 at 5:10pm

"Calm down, cracka boy" from Hairspray.

Videos