pixeltracker

Les Miserables at Signature Theatre (Virginia)- Page 2

Les Miserables at Signature Theatre (Virginia)

H.Higgins Profile Photo
H.Higgins
#25re: Les Miserables at Signature Theatre (Virginia)
Posted: 12/5/08 at 3:38pm

Thank you all for posting your thoughts on this!

It sounds like it's pretty great. Signature is rarely off the mark; their productions are often damn-near perfect.

(Excuse me while I go relive fond memories of their "Follies", "A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum", "My Fair Lady", and, most of all, "The Visit" !)

Colle
#26re: Les Miserables at Signature Theatre (Virginia)
Posted: 12/5/08 at 4:12pm

Good reviews, I hope some production photos would be released. I would love to see how it looks.

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#27re: Les Miserables at Signature Theatre (Virginia)
Posted: 12/5/08 at 4:59pm

http://www.signature-theatre.org/photo_lesmis.htm#

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

RentBoy86
#29re: Les Miserables at Signature Theatre (Virginia)
Posted: 12/5/08 at 5:54pm

Any idea if this is selling-out? I'll be in DC in a few weeks and I'd like to see this, but I can't really afford to buy three tickets for $60-something each. I'd like to try for rush, but I don't know if that's going to be possible either.

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#30re: Les Miserables at Signature Theatre (Virginia)
Posted: 12/5/08 at 5:57pm

Holy sh*t, "Tim Burton" is right.

http://www.playbill.com/news/article/124041.html

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

Schmerg_The_Impaler Profile Photo
Schmerg_The_Impaler
#31re: Les Miserables at Signature Theatre (Virginia)
Posted: 12/5/08 at 6:11pm

Holy smokes! Looks VERY Sweeney Toddish. Very, very, very unusual, but as long as the singing isn't Tim Burtonesque in style (um, if he ever makes Les Miserables into a film and casts Helena Bonham Carter as Fantine and Alan Rickman as Javert, I'm... not going...) This Fantine looks very interesting, and the Thenardiers look AWESOME. A slightly darker twist on the Thenardiers would be fantastic.

In my pants, she has burst like the music of angels, the light of the sun! --Marius Pantsmercy

g4rat Profile Photo
g4rat
#32re: Les Miserables at Signature Theatre (Virginia)
Posted: 12/5/08 at 6:20pm

I found my new profile pic :} I really want to see this production now..... I mean right now! lol

rapplega Profile Photo
rapplega
#33re: Les Miserables at Signature Theatre (Virginia)
Posted: 12/5/08 at 7:22pm

The show is selling pretty well, I hear. Might be good to call ahead.

DottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
#34re: Les Miserables at Signature Theatre (Virginia)
Posted: 12/5/08 at 7:41pm

I'll try for the matinee on Sunday.

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany

Acaila
#35re: Les Miserables at Signature Theatre (Virginia)
Posted: 12/5/08 at 8:22pm

Wow, I wish I was in Virginia. I could never imagine Les Mis done any other way but this looks cool!
(And Javert in leather trousers? Hmm, where can I get transatlantic flights at short notice?)

matty159 Profile Photo
matty159
#36re: Les Miserables at Signature Theatre (Virginia)
Posted: 12/6/08 at 5:20pm

I have absolutely loved what I have seen at the Signature (KISS, THE VISIT, and ACE), and this looks like it won't disappoint either. Looks like a good idea for a Christmas present to self!

Perfectly Marvelous Profile Photo
Perfectly Marvelous
#37re: Les Miserables at Signature Theatre (Virginia)
Posted: 12/6/08 at 8:17pm

My parents think I'm crazy for wanting to see this show again (after seeing it twice in the same month). Signature's production just looks so raw and very Burtonesque (I definitely got a Sweeney Todd vibe from that Thenardier picture; just give Madame T. a rolling pin and Thenardier a razor or a knife and you got yourself the ending of "A Little Priest" right there!) Also, I've heard it draws more from the novel and just looking at the production photos, the set and costumes really encompass that grimmer feel.

I think I may try going in January, if it's not completely sold out by then. Hopefully by that time I will have the money saved up to make the trip. It certainly looks like it's worth it.

"I am and always will be the optimist. The hoper of far-flung hopes and dreamer of improbable dreams." - Doctor Who

"Yes, the brutalities of progress are called revolutions. When they are over, men recognize that the human race has been harshly treated but it has moved forward." - Les Miserables

Updated On: 12/6/08 at 08:17 PM

RentBoy86
#38re: Les Miserables at Signature Theatre (Virginia)
Posted: 12/7/08 at 12:00am

Well I wanted to take my brother and his fiance, but I might just have to splurge on a ticket for myself, as rude as that sounds. I was hoping the student rush thing might work out, but it sounds like it might be more difficult than its worth.

RentBoy86
#39re: Les Miserables at Signature Theatre (Virginia)
Posted: 12/7/08 at 8:38pm

So I guess I'm going to splurge and buy a ticket, but is $76 really the cheapest ticket? Ouch! That's a pretty good seat at a Broadway house no-less, but the production looks too great to pass up, plus I've yet to see a production of Les Miz.

RentBoy86
#40re: Les Miserables at Signature Theatre (Virginia)
Posted: 12/7/08 at 8:51pm

Also, sorry for all the questions, would the dress circle be better than row A on the left side? They're both on the left side, but I figured being up higher might be better?

KChenowethfan Profile Photo
KChenowethfan
#41re: Les Miserables at Signature Theatre (Virginia)
Posted: 12/7/08 at 9:04pm

I haven't been to this production, but I generally avoid the dress circle at Signature. The bar can be distracting for those who are short.

"Why do you care what people might say? Why try to fit into their design?" (Side Show)

RentBoy86
#42re: Les Miserables at Signature Theatre (Virginia)
Posted: 12/7/08 at 9:16pm

I think I'll just get the front row on the side. Hopefully the production is staged like a thrust so that I can see the action. I hate when a show is in a thrust or in the round, but is obviously only playing to one side of the house.

Brandy_Breath
#43re: Les Miserables at Signature Theatre (Virginia)
Posted: 12/8/08 at 9:23am

It is a Thrust stage. The center section has two pieces that come out and flank it where actors come in and out and on the left side, set pieces coming in and out there.

Avatar ~ Jesse JP Johnson as Jack in Glory Days.
Ben Crawford dot Com

rapplega Profile Photo
rapplega
#44re: Les Miserables at Signature Theatre (Virginia)
Posted: 12/8/08 at 1:05pm

The dress circle is an amazing view. I sat in the center dress last night and wow - what a view.

morosco Profile Photo
morosco
#45re: Les Miserables at Signature Theatre (Virginia)
Posted: 12/8/08 at 1:45pm

Seats in the Dress Circle at Signature are awesome. Especially the center section. There is only 1 row of chairs in the Dress Circle (most have arms) and you can move your chair to get comfortable. Legroom to spare. I would never consider sitting elsewhere.
Updated On: 12/8/08 at 01:45 PM

springawoken819
#46re: Les Miserables at Signature Theatre (Virginia)
Posted: 12/8/08 at 3:01pm

So does anyone know how many tickets they save for rush, and if there's often a big line? Because i really want to try and get tickets but my whole winter break schedule is kind of up in the air right now, so i was planning on just seeing when i have time and rushing, plus i don't really wanna shell out $60 for tickets when i'm already seeing WSS and Legally Blonde over break...

rapplega Profile Photo
rapplega
#47re: Les Miserables at Signature Theatre (Virginia)
Posted: 12/8/08 at 3:09pm

I don't think they hold any for rush. It's just whatever is left available in the house. Sometimes I've even gotten house seats. But I do know they have obstructed view seats for like half price. So that may be a good option too.

Helena2
#48re: Les Miserables at Signature Theatre (Virginia)
Posted: 12/8/08 at 4:48pm

I'm going to see this with my friends (I already have tickets) and I am wicked excited! This will be my first time actually seeing a production of Les Mis on stage. So far I've only seen the TAC. All the reviews on here have spiked my interest even more!

Yay!

Theatre is my life.

RentBoy86
#49re: Les Miserables at Signature Theatre (Virginia)
Posted: 12/8/08 at 4:49pm

I went ahead and bought a full price ticket. Hopefully the show is worth it, I have a feeling it will be. I'm very excited! It's right before Christmas, so it'll be a nice seasonal gift to myself.

MerMaggieGalinda
#50re: Les Miserables at Signature Theatre (Virginia)
Posted: 12/8/08 at 5:31pm

Wow, I love the look of the set! It's very dark and grim. The Thenardiers look very sinister.

Videos