Confusing Lyrics

Justin D Profile Photo
Justin D
#25re: Confusing Lyrics
Posted: 1/6/09 at 11:52am

In Sunset Boulevard, the line about a comeback: "I hate that word, it's a return"

I always misunderstood what she was trying to say until i saw the film. I always thought she was angry at the comeback comment because in her mind she never left, so she is being unhappy about the term being return when she never left.

But she meant she hates "comeback" becuase it is a vulgar term, she prefers the term "return"

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27199361@N08/ Phantom at the Royal Empire Theatre

SporkGoddess
#26re: Confusing Lyrics
Posted: 1/6/09 at 11:55am

I wouldn't bring up SA lyrics--half of them don't make any sense, IMO.

Jimmy, what are you doing here in the middle of the night? It's almost 9 PM!

Fan123 Profile Photo
Fan123
#27re: Confusing Lyrics
Posted: 1/7/09 at 8:09am

I haven't seen The Light in the Piazza, so when Clara sings "The painting of the world we know" on the cast recording I get a bit confused. Is she saying:
- "Metaphorically speaking, the actions and discoveries of past Italian geniuses 'painted' (created) the modern world"
- "We're in an art museum, and look, there's that painting"
- "I'm making a non-sequitor because I'm mentally challenged"
???

Marlothom Profile Photo
Marlothom
#28re: Confusing Lyrics
Posted: 1/7/09 at 11:56am

In Wicked., The Wizard and I, I always thought she said "and I'll walk down these halls till I die"; oops, it's "I'll want nothing else till I die."

"Observe how bravely I conceal this dreadful dreadful shame I feel."

Mamie Profile Photo
Mamie
#29re: Confusing Lyrics
Posted: 1/7/09 at 1:05pm

When is TOMORROW ever anything other than a day away?

www.thebreastcancersite.com
A click for life.
mamie4 5/14/03

SporkGoddess
#30re: Confusing Lyrics
Posted: 1/7/09 at 2:28pm

I haven't seen Annie, but I actually think it's the opposite implication. Whenever you're having a bad day, all you have to do is think about tomorrow, which is always only a day away. So, it's not that it never arrives, it's that it's always there waiting.

Fan2: I think it's the first one because they're talking about the Renaissance painters, and they're not actually in an art museum during the scene (they're in the piazza).

Jimmy, what are you doing here in the middle of the night? It's almost 9 PM!

ken8631 Profile Photo
ken8631
#31re: Confusing Lyrics
Posted: 1/7/09 at 4:31pm

I always thought it was "Only" rather that "Always" a day away, making it hopeful.

Byron Abens
#32re: Confusing Lyrics
Posted: 1/7/09 at 8:36pm

The Eva lines in "Oh What a Circus" never bothered me because I simply filled in the blanks.

And undeserving
of such attention,
Unless we all are (deserving of such attention)
I think we all are.

In Sunset I always felt that Norma thought comeback implied that her career died, whereas by return she could make it seem like she left on her own terms and was now returning to the audience who she thought was still there waiting for her.

As for Spring Awakening, of course the lyrics are confusing. I think the show was written in the same process as it is revealed that Family Guy is written in the Cartoon Wars episode of South Park.

Fan123 Profile Photo
Fan123
#33re: Confusing Lyrics
Posted: 1/7/09 at 9:37pm

Thank you, SporkGoddess :) The mentions of 'statues' confused me...! Another lyric which I've probably thought about too hard just by asking the question... In 'Unusual Way' (Nine), um, what's so unusual about being in love your employer who doesn't love you back? Is the song's title and most-repeated line basically filler?

defyingravity11 Profile Photo
defyingravity11
#34re: Confusing Lyrics
Posted: 1/7/09 at 9:45pm

I guess it's not really a confusing lyric, but does "Save Puccini for the shower" refer to a baby shower or singing in the shower?

"In theater, the process of it is the experience. Everyone goes through the process, and everyone has the experience together. It doesn't last - only in people's memories and in their hearts. That's the beauty and sadness of it. But that's life - beauty and the sadness. And that is why theater is life." - Sherie Rene Scott

GlindatheGood22  Profile Photo
GlindatheGood22
#35re: Confusing Lyrics
Posted: 1/7/09 at 9:49pm

I always was kinda confused by the line about in Elsie in Cabaret- "As a matter of fact she rented by the hour." I mean, was Elsie a prostitute? I guess if you take it that way it makes sense, but I always thought it meant she paid her rent by the hour. I feel rather stupid now.

I know you. I know you. I know you.

MrSweetNAwful Profile Photo
MrSweetNAwful
#36re: Confusing Lyrics
Posted: 1/8/09 at 1:56am

I always got the impression Edie ment singing in the shower.
I once thought Elsie's renting by the hour was literal, but it is s'posed to mean she's a prostitute.
and Byron, lol @ SA=FG

You're reminding me of people you hear at the movies asking questions every ten seconds, "Who is that? Why is that guy walking down the street? Who's that lady coming up to him? Uh-oh, why did that car go by? Why is it so dark in this theater?" - FindingNamo on strummergirl

"If artists were machines, then I'm just a different kind of machine...I'd probably be a toaster. Actually, I'd be a toaster oven because they're more versatile. And I like making grilled cheese" -Regina Spektor

"That's, like, twelve shows! ...Or seven." -Crazy SA Fangirl

"They say that just being relaxed is the most important thing [in acting]. I take that to another level, I think kinda like yawning and...like being partially asleep onstage is also good, but whatever." - Sherie Rene Scott

Videos