#25re: I Like To Be In America - The WSS Love Thread
Posted: 2/15/09 at 10:15pm

I wish the Jets had Jets' Jackets.
I miss 'em.

musicaltheater1 Profile Photo
musicaltheater1
#26re: I Like To Be In America - The WSS Love Thread
Posted: 2/16/09 at 12:15pm

We've been waiting for years for another revival and finally, it's here. Despite the economy, we were still surprised with the limited number of good seats available in May. We cannot wait. WSS is on our top favorite musicals.

"I love acting. It is so much more real than life." Oscar Wilde
"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." Aldous Huxley

ulkis
#27re: I Like To Be In America - The WSS Love Thread
Posted: 2/16/09 at 2:57pm

If GYPSY got recorded when there was a recording in 2003, WSS will definitely be recorded. Plus I think this prediction is going to be a pretty big hit.

Let's hope!

Pianolin717 Profile Photo
Pianolin717
#28re: I Like To Be In America - The WSS Love Thread
Posted: 2/16/09 at 2:58pm

and with this revival having 2 songs in Spanish, it will be different from the other recordings, so I am almost positive they would record this! I just want to know when!

NityaC
#29re: I Like To Be In America - The WSS Love Thread
Posted: 2/16/09 at 6:39pm

Yeah I was just thinking that in class (in the middle of writing my midterm paper, when I really shouldn't have been thinking of WSS) that this isn't just a 'recording of a revival'. Because the songs have been translated -and NOT in a typical word-for-word translation- it'll sound new, despite the tune being the same...really they ARE technically "new" songs.

...and therefore they MUST be recorded because the very thought of a spanish "A Boy Like That/I Have A Love" sung by Olivo and Scaglione gives me the chills.

=D

Pianolin717
#30re: I Like To Be In America - The WSS Love Thread
Posted: 2/16/09 at 6:52pm

And LMM did a FABULOUS job translating the lyrics, because, although he didn't do a word for word translation, he matched the same rhyme scheme as Sondheim... and let me tell you, I absolutely LOVE "A Boy Like That/I Have A Love"
This new version is absolutely gorgeous and I cannot wait for an, um.. "official" cast recording re: I Like To Be In America - The WSS Love Thread I love it and cannot wait!
7 days now! Hope we get some great reviews from those who go!

NityaC
#31re: I Like To Be In America - The WSS Love Thread
Posted: 2/16/09 at 7:09pm

That song is dark enough as it is, but for some reason, I can imagine a mix of Karen's voice, and a language I don't understand to equal something just short of (a good kind of) terrifying.

I can't remember much of the details I read about the translations ("Por favor, Maria, por favor!"), but I trust LMM to do brilliant work anyway.

Do you know if any parts of Tonight (Quintet) are in spanish as well though? I think there'd be some good opportunity there...I love that song!

Pianolin717
#32re: I Like To Be In America - The WSS Love Thread
Posted: 2/16/09 at 7:11pm

The Sharks sing in Spanish during the Tonight Quintet

NityaC
#33re: I Like To Be In America - The WSS Love Thread
Posted: 2/16/09 at 7:17pm

Sweet. Pretty much what I expected. I guess it makes sense that Anita doesn't use Spanish till the end...

Which reminds me - does Karen Olivo speak spanish? For some reason I thought she didn't...until suddenly she was doing WSS!

Drunk Chita Rivera Profile Photo
Drunk Chita Rivera
#34re: I Like To Be In America - The WSS Love Thread
Posted: 2/16/09 at 8:00pm

I don't think Karen is completely fluent but she does speak some. I think.

Box Office Update: Today I went to see if they have a Student Rush or Lottery and they said not student rush but there might be a lottery. I was told to call the box office on Friday or Saturday.

Also there was a huge line in the box office. They are selling extremely well.

Pianolin717
#35re: I Like To Be In America - The WSS Love Thread
Posted: 2/16/09 at 8:02pm

I am glad its selling well!!
Even though it'll be harder to get discounts, at least the show should be around a while *crosses fingers*

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#36re: I Like To Be In America - The WSS Love Thread
Posted: 2/16/09 at 8:05pm

Damn, I really wish they would have a rush. re: I Like To Be In America - The WSS Love Thread But I am glad it's selling well.

Also regarding A Boy Like That/ I Have a Love; the rumor is that English has been added to the sequence.

Pianolin717
#37re: I Like To Be In America - The WSS Love Thread
Posted: 2/16/09 at 8:08pm

really? whats the rumor? the whole sequence is now in english?

I hope not, I really enjoyed this a lot! if any of the Spanish was to be cut to english, I would hope its "I Feel Pretty" I thought this sequenced worked wonderfully in Spanish re: I Like To Be In America - The WSS Love Thread

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#38re: I Like To Be In America - The WSS Love Thread
Posted: 2/16/09 at 8:11pm

Not the whole sequence. But someone posted on ATC that at the last Sondheim conversation he hinted that English is being added. Most of the critics noted that this was the sequence that did not work very well.

NityaC
#39re: I Like To Be In America - The WSS Love Thread
Posted: 2/16/09 at 8:12pm

Ah nooo! I loved that I might not get parts of it. :P But then I know the story so well that I would've gotten all of it anyway.

...oh well. It's still exciting.

And I wish there was lotto/rush too. I mean, I love that it's selling well, but I'll go broke making it to NY as it is, so the extra help would...help. :|

Pianolin717
#40re: I Like To Be In America - The WSS Love Thread
Posted: 2/16/09 at 8:13pm

ah, as long as they keep part of I Have A Love in Spanish. I thought it was gorgeous as Tengo Un Amor

orangeskittles Profile Photo
orangeskittles
#41re: I Like To Be In America - The WSS Love Thread
Posted: 2/16/09 at 10:08pm

Brody, where are all your posts ranting about the British accents used in 19th century France?

Nitya, someone just posted there will be lotto.

Like a firework unexploded
Wanting life but never knowing how

NityaC
#42re: I Like To Be In America - The WSS Love Thread
Posted: 2/16/09 at 10:27pm

Nitya, someone just posted there will be lotto.

Someone posted elsewhere in the forums, or did you mean in this thread? Because Drunk Chita only said "might" so I figured they're not sure if there's going to be a lotto yet.

orangeskittles Profile Photo
orangeskittles
#43re: I Like To Be In America - The WSS Love Thread
Posted: 2/16/09 at 10:50pm

These producers always have lottery for their shows. The show had lottery out of town. There's no need to be prematurely upset that you won't be able to afford it. Balcony seats are $46.50; that's less than 2 lotto tickets.

Like a firework unexploded
Wanting life but never knowing how

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#44re: I Like To Be In America - The WSS Love Thread
Posted: 2/16/09 at 10:52pm

Yeah, but the Palace's balcony isn't great. re: I Like To Be In America - The WSS Love Thread

NityaC
#45re: I Like To Be In America - The WSS Love Thread
Posted: 2/16/09 at 11:38pm

"Balcony seats are $46.50; that's less than 2 lotto tickets."

Yeah, but those two lotto tickets would still be better than the one balcony seat anyday... (plus I need two) :P

and:

"Yeah, but the Palace's balcony isn't great.

heh, so it's good that there's a chance for lotto! But anyway the only reason I 'worry' is that I hardly ever come down to NY, so I like making my trips count. This time around my eyes are set on WSS and ITH, so I'm pretty excited. I forgot they had lotto in DC! That's definitely good. :)

Pianolin717
#46re: I Like To Be In America - The WSS Love Thread
Posted: 2/17/09 at 10:12pm

any word on rehearsals at the Palace? I would imagine they would being soon, seeing as the production has its first preview in... six days!!!

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#47re: I Like To Be In America - The WSS Love Thread
Posted: 2/18/09 at 12:11am

My contribution to this thread:

From the 75th Birthday Tribute to Sondheim at the Hollywood Bowl in 2005, "The Quintet," sung by Audra McDonald as Maria, Vanessa Williams as Anita, Jason Daniely as Tony and James Barbour as Riff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wm8QhhmJ-uk

The Quintet is preceded by a clip from an early TV interview with Sondheim, describing how he got the job writing lyrics on the show.

I am seeing the revival on March 5th.

Pianolin717
#48re: I Like To Be In America - The WSS Love Thread
Posted: 2/18/09 at 8:51am

can't wait to hear what everyone thinks!!! ahh! five days!!!

PiraguaGuy2
#49re: I Like To Be In America - The WSS Love Thread
Posted: 2/18/09 at 8:57am

Joey, how did I miss that clip! It's amazing!

Formerly SirNotAppearing - Joined 3/08

Videos