pixeltracker

I Like To Be In America - The WSS Love Thread

I Like To Be In America - The WSS Love Thread

Pianolin717 Profile Photo
Pianolin717
#1I Like To Be In America - The WSS Love Thread
Posted: 2/13/09 at 10:35pm

Sure, there are haters, but I think its time for some WSS love!
10 days 'til the first previews! Break a leg!

Saw it in DC. LOVED IT! (If you can't tell by my avatar :) )

Drunk Chita Rivera Profile Photo
Drunk Chita Rivera
#2re: I Like To Be In America - The WSS Love Thread
Posted: 2/13/09 at 10:47pm

I'M SO EXCITED! I can't wait any longer! Th show was excellent in DC and it will be even better in NY.

PiraguaGuy2
#2re: I Like To Be In America - The WSS Love Thread
Posted: 2/13/09 at 10:52pm

Crap, I don't know who to root for for Featured Actress: Steph, Karen or Haydyn.

I'm leaning towards Karen, though. :)

Formerly SirNotAppearing - Joined 3/08

Pianolin717
#3re: I Like To Be In America - The WSS Love Thread
Posted: 2/13/09 at 11:06pm

Have you seen her in WSS yet? It will DEF sway your vote in her direction! :)

NityaC
#4re: I Like To Be In America - The WSS Love Thread
Posted: 2/14/09 at 12:04am

I'm saving up like mad for WSS. I missed Karen in ITH, and I vowed not to miss her as Anita. I've never seen a production of WSS either, and I love the colours in this revival, and a certain Mr. Cody Green, who's dancing is truly mesmerizing, and they tell me he is also Canadian.

(But it's mostly for Karen! xD)

I want to watch WSS. NOW. But I'm hoping it won't be long now :)

wickedrentq Profile Photo
wickedrentq
#5re: I Like To Be In America - The WSS Love Thread
Posted: 2/14/09 at 5:05pm

Is this a WSS love thread for the current/upcoming production or the show in general? I can go on for 20 pages if it's about the show in general...

"If there was a Mount Rushmore for Broadway scores, "West Side Story" would be front and center. It snaps, it crackles it pops! It surges with a roar, its energy and sheer life undiminished by the years" - NYPost reviewer Elisabeth Vincentelli

orangeskittles Profile Photo
orangeskittles
#6re: I Like To Be In America - The WSS Love Thread
Posted: 2/14/09 at 6:24pm

This board has been around for 6 years and had dozens of threads about the show "in general". Let this thread be about the revival and post your Bernstein dissertations in one of the countless others.

Like a firework unexploded
Wanting life but never knowing how
Updated On: 2/14/09 at 06:24 PM

Pianolin717
#7re: I Like To Be In America - The WSS Love Thread
Posted: 2/14/09 at 11:20pm

yeah, this is meant for the current revival. speaking of which.. nine days!!!!!

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#8re: I Like To Be In America - The WSS Love Thread
Posted: 2/14/09 at 11:24pm

Here's my first peeve about this revival -- having Maria speak with an Argentinean accent! She's from Puerto Rico, for chrissakes!

Argentinean born Josefina Scaglione should have made the effort to use a Puerto Rican accent, just like the other actresses playing Shark girls do. If Kate Winslet, Nicole Kidman, Colin Ferrell and countless of other non-American actors can emulate American accents -- she can damn well recreate a Puerto Rican accent.

I guess no one in the creative team speaks Spanish so they have no idea she's speaking in a solid Argentinean accent in the show. Plus... its jarring whenever the other girls speak to her and she responds with that accent.

caitlinette Profile Photo
caitlinette
#9re: I Like To Be In America - The WSS Love Thread
Posted: 2/15/09 at 2:25am

Brody, Josefina mentions in this interview that she was learning the Puerto Rican accent. She is trying at least.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=98207909

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#10re: I Like To Be In America - The WSS Love Thread
Posted: 2/15/09 at 2:31am

Eeek! If she starts speaking with an Argentinian accent I'm going to have to leave the theater to laugh a little, she should have mastered the Puerto Rican by now!

I remembered how many praised Gael Garcia Bernal's performance in The Motorcycle Diaries. But few noticed how he started with a strong Argentinian accent and he kept losing it more and more throughout the film until he had lost it completely by the end of it.

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

orangeskittles Profile Photo
orangeskittles
#11re: I Like To Be In America - The WSS Love Thread
Posted: 2/15/09 at 9:52am

Brody has copy and pasted that exact post into about 3 threads. It seems almost as petty a reason to hate the revival as claiming the show is ruined because they changed the last note of Something's Coming. *ahem*

Like a firework unexploded
Wanting life but never knowing how

BrodyFosse123
#12re: I Like To Be In America - The WSS Love Thread
Posted: 2/15/09 at 3:16pm

Yes, I've posted that same note on other posts... which emphasizes my peeve with Josefina's interpretation. That peeve has NOTHING to do with the actual production, hence why I don't attack the revival whatsoever. Reread my post and you'll see I only comment about Josefina's Argentinean accent... and that's it.

Personally, I enjoyed the revival more than I expected to... so I'm not hatin'. I hope this revival succeeds in every capacity. I found the addition of Spanish in the book refreshing and more than apropo for a new interpretation of WEST SIDE STORY. Having Josefina speak with an Argentinean accent while the rest of the cast speaks in Puerto Rican accents is jarring in every possible way. At least EVERY actress who played Sally Bowles in the recent Sam Mendes reinterpretation of CABARET attempted an English accent. Yes, some better than others... but they attempted one.

As a fellow Argentine myself... I can emulate a Puerto Rican accent as easily as I can emulate a Cuban and Mexican accent AND I'm not an actor by any stretch of the imagination. Josefina IS an actress. What she's doing up there on stage totally throws off any level of authenticity being attempted by the rest of the cast.

You don't have a 10-page monologue to deal with so... what's the deal, Josefina?

Seriously?!

re: I Like To Be In America - The WSS Love Thread

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#13re: I Like To Be In America - The WSS Love Thread
Posted: 2/15/09 at 3:23pm

What? You want her to sound like Googie Gomez?

BrodyFosse123
#14re: I Like To Be In America - The WSS Love Thread
Posted: 2/15/09 at 3:42pm

Nope. I'm not talking about using a cartoon-ish accent but at least try to imitate Karen Olivo, Yanira Marin, Jennifer Sanchez, Mileyka Mateo, Marina Lazzaretto, Kat Nejat, Danielle Polanco & Tanairi Sade Vazquez's dead-on Puerto Rican accent.

I'd love to see how audiences would react to a Baltimorian Tracy Turnblad with a British accent or a New Jersey Frankie Valli with an Australian accent.

Timmer
#15re: I Like To Be In America - The WSS Love Thread
Posted: 2/15/09 at 4:48pm

Unfortunately, if they REALLY wanted to update the show, tehy'd need to change the lyrics to

"Everything free in Amereeca.
Give it to me in Amereeca."

Pianolin717
#16re: I Like To Be In America - The WSS Love Thread
Posted: 2/15/09 at 7:56pm

I guess since you are Argentine then you would notice and be able to tell, but personally, I could not decipher her accent from a Puerto Rican accent

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#17re: I Like To Be In America - The WSS Love Thread
Posted: 2/15/09 at 8:06pm

Why do I have a feeling that Brody is judging the show by bootleg audio?

CSonBroadway Profile Photo
CSonBroadway
#18re: I Like To Be In America - The WSS Love Thread
Posted: 2/15/09 at 9:36pm

I'm so excited and I can't wait!! I just have to save up for tickets first...

I'm a professional. Whenever something goes wrong on stage, I know how to handle it so no one ever remembers. I flash my %#$&. "Jayne just sat there while Gina flailed around the stage like an idiot."

ulkis
#19re: I Like To Be In America - The WSS Love Thread
Posted: 2/15/09 at 9:45pm

Does anyone think there's a chance for a cast recording?

#20re: I Like To Be In America - The WSS Love Thread
Posted: 2/15/09 at 9:46pm

I'll be happy if I hear they restored the full ballet and Laurents hasn't kept it to its 3 minute cut :S

#21re: I Like To Be In America - The WSS Love Thread
Posted: 2/15/09 at 9:46pm

I'll be happy if I hear they restored the full ballet and Laurents hasn't kept it to its 3 minute cut :S

Pianolin717
#22re: I Like To Be In America - The WSS Love Thread
Posted: 2/15/09 at 10:04pm

"Does anyone think there's a chance for a cast recording?"

I feel that there is a BIG change for a CR and I cannot WAIT until it comes out!!!!!!!

Chip12
#23re: I Like To Be In America - The WSS Love Thread
Posted: 2/15/09 at 10:06pm

The movie has great dancing!

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#24re: I Like To Be In America - The WSS Love Thread
Posted: 2/15/09 at 10:12pm

If GYPSY got recorded when there was a recording in 2003, WSS will definitely be recorded. Plus I think this production is going to be a pretty big hit.
Updated On: 2/16/09 at 10:12 PM

Videos