News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Orlando Jones and LaChanze Join Cast of Encores! THE WIZ; Full Cast Announced- Page 2

Orlando Jones and LaChanze Join Cast of Encores! THE WIZ; Full Cast Announced

little_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
#25re: Orlando Jones and LaChanze Join Cast of Encores! THE WIZ; Full Cast Ann
Posted: 5/7/09 at 2:59pm

Dawnn Lewis should be great. I remember her singing the theme song of Hanging with Mr. Cooper.

Btw, wasn't summer stars supposed to showcase stars in the roles they were born to play? Was that philosophy thrown out the window after Gypsy?

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.

husk_charmer
#26re: Orlando Jones and LaChanze Join Cast of Encores! THE WIZ; Full Cast Ann
Posted: 5/7/09 at 3:06pm

^ Apparently.

Orlando Jones did 2 seasons of MadTV and a commercial series for 7Up in the 90s...not really a "star."

Tichina Arnold is at least on a TV series right now, but I have no idea what network it's on. I can sorta classify her as a star.

LaChanze is arguably a star, she does have a Tony Award, but so does Daisy Eagan.

Dawnn Lewis, I can sorta see that as well, but I'm not sure she's a household name.

I'm pretty pop culutre savvy. I catch the majority of jokes on Family Guy and Gilmore Girls. I had no idea, based on name, who Jones or Arnold were, and I had to stop and think about Lewis for a second.

Needless to say, I will not be partaking in this, unless someone drops out and is replaced.

http://www.youtube.com/huskcharmer

MTVMANN Profile Photo
MTVMANN
#27re: Orlando Jones and LaChanze Join Cast of Encores! THE WIZ; Full Cast Ann
Posted: 5/7/09 at 3:08pm

I remember reading that there were a HUGE national casting for the urchins of the LSOH movie.
So if she made the film the she could definately sing, and probably still can!!!!!!

husk_charmer
#28re: Orlando Jones and LaChanze Join Cast of Encores! THE WIZ; Full Cast Ann
Posted: 5/7/09 at 3:10pm

^ Not the argument.

MTVMANN Profile Photo
MTVMANN
uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#30re: Orlando Jones and LaChanze Join Cast of Encores! THE WIZ; Full Cast Ann
Posted: 5/7/09 at 3:18pm

Was Stephanie Mills a "star" when she started with The Wiz? No! And neither was half the cast. Why do we need "stars" in this show? And quite honestly, if you go into any black household with parents or kids who watched any of these performers in the tv shows or movies they were in, they would know who they are and consider them stars. And I am sure not just black people consider them stars. I think this is a very interesting and talented cast.

Just give the world Love.

husk_charmer
#31re: Orlando Jones and LaChanze Join Cast of Encores! THE WIZ; Full Cast Ann
Posted: 5/7/09 at 3:28pm

^ No she wasn't, but the original production wasn't part of SUMMER STARS, which was designed to cast STARS in the roles they were born to play.

I'm not saying they are untalented (even if I am not fans of the vast majority), I'm just saying it's a disappointing set of choices.

theaterdude87 Profile Photo
theaterdude87
#32re: Orlando Jones and LaChanze Join Cast of Encores! THE WIZ; Full Cast Ann
Posted: 5/7/09 at 4:16pm

If I remember correctly Orlando Jones was also on "The IT Factor" on Bravo... I think it was right when he got the 7-Up gig.

for fierce, fabulous and fun times visit eric mathew's world. http://ericmathew.blogspot.com/

Scarywarhol Profile Photo
Scarywarhol
scaryclowns2232
#34re: Orlando Jones and LaChanze Join Cast of Encores! THE WIZ; Full Cast Ann
Posted: 5/7/09 at 4:37pm

I LOVE Orlando Jones.

His performance in The Replacements still sticks out in my mind as one of the funniest things I've seen- love that movie.

He's going to be wonderful.

Jon
#35re: Orlando Jones and LaChanze Join Cast of Encores! THE WIZ; Full Cast Ann
Posted: 5/7/09 at 5:10pm

Some white people actually watch "Everybody Loves Chris", "Martin", and "A Different World". They know exactly who these people are.

MrJNLong
#36re: Orlando Jones and LaChanze Join Cast of Encores! THE WIZ; Full Cast Ann
Posted: 5/7/09 at 5:17pm

...and if you keep reading and are a geek like me, you'll recognize Ryan Rankine and Will Wingfield on the list...both Top 10 Finalists from So You Think You Can Dance...which means they're bigger stars to me than anyone else on that list except LaChanze. I didn't recognize anyone else's name...
Of course Tommy and Andy are what's keeping me interested in this one...and the material...

Theatreboy49 Profile Photo
Theatreboy49
#37re: Orlando Jones and LaChanze Join Cast of Encores! THE WIZ; Full Cast Ann
Posted: 5/7/09 at 5:26pm

Um to me this is rather unexciting casting. Why cant they just use the La Jolla cast. To me they were just as known. I rather enjoyed their performances.

<------ Me and my friends with patti Lupone at my friends afterparty for her concert with audra mcdonald during the summer of 2007.
"I am sorry but it is an unjust world and virtue is only triumphant in theatricle performances" The Mikado

husk_charmer
#38re: Orlando Jones and LaChanze Join Cast of Encores! THE WIZ; Full Cast Ann
Posted: 5/7/09 at 5:36pm

^ LaJolla was bad.

And I love "A Different World." I knew Dawnn Lewis.

I just think this is second-rate casting that would be perfect for a National Tour, not for a show with potential Broadway transfer.

aliciag Profile Photo
aliciag
#39re: Orlando Jones and LaChanze Join Cast of Encores! THE WIZ; Full Cast Ann
Posted: 5/7/09 at 6:51pm

I'm really excited for Joshua Henry as the Tinman!!! He's a really talented guy and I can't wait to see what he does with the role.

Plus I am also in love with Orlando Jones (The Replacements and Drumline) and of course am happy about LaChanze being cast.

Here's hoping for the best for this production!

seaweedjstubbs Profile Photo
seaweedjstubbs
#40re: Orlando Jones and LaChanze Join Cast of Encores! THE WIZ; Full Cast Ann
Posted: 5/7/09 at 7:05pm

I'm really excited for this (even though I probably won't get to see it.) The casting looks pretty good to me! I recognized Orlando Brown's name, but I couldn't put a face to him. He's done more than just the 7UP commercials (I'd forgotten all about those!). And on a side note, did anyone realize that Tichina Arnold was only 15 when she did Little Shop? I thought she was at least in her 20s in that movie!

seemynameinlights
#41re: Orlando Jones and LaChanze Join Cast of Encores! THE WIZ; Full Cast Ann
Posted: 5/7/09 at 7:16pm

a lot of people are excited about LaChanze and so am I but I guareantee Tichina Arnold will be the show stopper. She came to my school and sang, and she is fantastic. She is probably the most well-known person in the cast for the African-American audience, besides Ashanti.

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#42re: Orlando Jones and LaChanze Join Cast of Encores! THE WIZ; Full Cast Ann
Posted: 5/7/09 at 8:05pm

I'm 100% with Husk on this one. Isn't the purpose of this series to cast stars in the roles they were born to play? Who in the world thought of Ashanti right away when they announced this? Most Broadway fans thought of Anika Noni Rose who was born to play the role in the same way than when plenty of Broadway fans thought of Momma Rose, they immediately said that Patti LuPone was born to play the part.
With GYPSY, the star was the whole reason the production happened and that's what made the idea behind the series so fascinating. A show revived solely for a star.
This production doesn't follow that, and on top of that, the "stars" they did get eventually are not nearly as exciting as LuPone, Laura Benanti and Boyd Gaines sounded. And for that matter--even if they were lackluster save for Cox and Graff--the group of Sean Hayes, Jane Krakowski, Cheyenne Jackson, Veanne Cox, and Randy Graff seemed like a great idea. Now this? It's incredibly disappointing and even though I was planning on attending this series on a yearly basis, I'll definitely skip this one, ugh.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

husk_charmer
#43re: Orlando Jones and LaChanze Join Cast of Encores! THE WIZ; Full Cast Ann
Posted: 5/7/09 at 8:45pm

Well said ray. Well said.

Bar none Profile Photo
Bar none
#44re: Orlando Jones and LaChanze Join Cast of Encores! THE WIZ; Full Cast Ann
Posted: 5/7/09 at 9:11pm

Well, Ray, you may be right about some of the performers not being considered born to play their respective parts, but one thing's for sure, for better or for worse, Ashanti will be remembered for her roles as "Dorothy" from now on.

However, you speak only for some when you say that the casting is "not nearly as exciting" as that of Gypsy. I'm not a fan of Gypsy or Lupone et al., but the thought of seeing Tichina Arnold play Evillene has me overjoyed, let alone LaChanze's Glinda. When I read 'Arnold,' I thought, How perfect! The woman can pipe and will be completely in her element. Make no mistake, Tichina is gonna ROCK Evillene!

The last time I saw The Wiz was with Stephanie Mills and Andre de Shields back in '93 and that production was truly inspirational, so much so I thought there's no way they're gonna top that. I realize everyone's expectations are different, but I'm starting to feel that way now although I wonder what singing abilities Orlando Jones possesses. Ashanti is no Stephanie Mills or Noni Rose, but I think she'll make a fine Dorothy. Can't wait to see this one!!

Updated On: 5/8/09 at 09:11 PM

defyingravity07 Profile Photo
defyingravity07
#45re: Orlando Jones and LaChanze Join Cast of Encores! THE WIZ; Full Cast Ann
Posted: 5/7/09 at 9:20pm

I can't wait to see this show!

not for a show with potential Broadway transfer.

Why does it have potential to transfer? Because Gypsy did? They have only produced two shows, so that notion is COMPLETELY without any basis. Updated On: 5/7/09 at 09:20 PM

husk_charmer
#46re: Orlando Jones and LaChanze Join Cast of Encores! THE WIZ; Full Cast Ann
Posted: 5/7/09 at 9:24pm

Actually Damn Yankees was planned for a transfer, but Krakowski (I think) didn't want to commit.

And, there's been rumblings about this having a transfer as well.

defyingravity07 Profile Photo
defyingravity07
#47re: Orlando Jones and LaChanze Join Cast of Encores! THE WIZ; Full Cast Ann
Posted: 5/7/09 at 9:25pm

Didn't Jane say that she would go with the show if it transfered?

husk_charmer
#48re: Orlando Jones and LaChanze Join Cast of Encores! THE WIZ; Full Cast Ann
Posted: 5/7/09 at 9:34pm

Like I said, I don't remember which one it was who didn't commit. And I have no idea if it was part of the contract. The way I understood it was that they felt audience and critical response was good enough to warrant a transfer, but either she or Hayes (and I feel like it was her) didn't want to, and they didn't want to transfer without both.

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#49re: Orlando Jones and LaChanze Join Cast of Encores! THE WIZ; Full Cast Ann
Posted: 5/7/09 at 10:00pm

I think the problem with DAMN YANKEES was lack of funding and probably scheduling conflicts combined. Who knows? But there were plans of transferring the show.
The thing is like it or not, a lot of Encores! shows are thought of as potential transfers. Even if these Summer Stars are not seriously considered for a transfer, then that is even more reason to cast real stars who would not normally commit to a role eight times a week whether it is because of their TV shows, movies, or lack of desire to do a long run. The Shakespeare in the Park series has been incredibly successful at doing this, casting stars like Meryl Streep (twice!), Natalie Portman, Philip Seymour Hoffman, Kevin Kline, Anne Hathaway, Lauren Ambrose, etc. for a limited run and to rather great effects. And they don't even boast about how they intend to cast "stars in the roles they were born to play."

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

Videos