News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

delete

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#25re: Award for 3 Billys Unfair
Posted: 5/11/09 at 1:55pm

We also don't know if the producers even petitioned for the other boys to be nominated together. Perhaps they did and were turned down. But more likely, they didn't beging to think it would truly be considered for a nomination.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Tom's Cat Profile Photo
Tom's Cat
#26re: Award for 3 Billys Unfair
Posted: 5/11/09 at 2:13pm

"Well, Brian d'Arcy James has a very difficult role with a lot of stage time as well and he has to perform it through extra pounds and extra make-up. J. Robert Spencer is on for a good portion of Next to Normal and he has to portray the anguish of living with a loved one who's losing her mind."

.... and if either of them had been 13 years old and IF those roles had been as physically challenging as Billy Elliot, then they would have been sharing the role with another actor as well. I've seen both of their performances and they don't come close to the demands of the boys playing BE. At least Spencer is required to act. I love James but performing a one-dimensional cartoon character behind a rubber mask is NOT an award winning challenge.

Meow!
Updated On: 5/11/09 at 02:13 PM

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#27re: Award for 3 Billys Unfair
Posted: 5/11/09 at 2:13pm

Am I the only person who doesn't like red velvet cake?

MTVMANN Profile Photo
MTVMANN
#28re: Award for 3 Billys Unfair
Posted: 5/11/09 at 2:24pm

I bet that there are many Tony Award voters who feel like many of you on here..

Steve2 Profile Photo
Steve2
#29re: Award for 3 Billys Unfair
Posted: 5/11/09 at 2:31pm

<--------- Doesn't like Red Velvet cake either.

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#30re: Award for 3 Billys Unfair
Posted: 5/11/09 at 2:38pm

re: Award for 3 Billys Unfair

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#31re: Award for 3 Billys Unfair
Posted: 5/11/09 at 2:52pm

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

Tom's Cat Profile Photo
Tom's Cat
#32re: Award for 3 Billys Unfair
Posted: 5/11/09 at 2:58pm

A little tuna cake for a little kitty?

Meow!

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#33re: Award for 3 Billys Unfair
Posted: 5/11/09 at 2:58pm

It doesn't matter. Barbour is going to win with write-ins.

....but the world goes 'round

WishingOnlyWounds2
#34re: Award for 3 Billys Unfair
Posted: 5/11/09 at 3:14pm

The two Christines have/had a set schedule the Billys didn't, you can't compare.

2008: Feb. 18- Rent, Feb. 19- Curtains, April 18- Xanadu, April 22- Wicked, April 26- Legally Blonde, May 31- Wicked, June 13- The Little Mermaid, June 28- Wicked and Young Frankenstein, July 2- The Little Mermaid, July 6- A Chorus Line and Legally Blonde, August 16- Xanadu, September 13- Legally Blonde and 13, September 28- Xanadu and Spring Awakening, Oct. 12-GYPSY and [title of show], Oct. 19- Hairspray & Legally Blonde, Nov. 9- Wicked and 13, Dec. 14-13, Dec. 26- Billy Elliot, 2009: Jan 1- Shrek, Jan 2- 13 and Wicked, Jan 4- 13, Feb 17- In The Heights, Feb 19- Billy Elliot, Feb 22- Sweeney Todd (tour), March 28- Mary Poppins, April 4- Mamma Mia!, April 15- Jersey Boys (on tour), April 25- next to normal & 9 to 5 May 1- Billy Elliot, May 3- Spelling Bee (tour), May 8- Chicago, May 21- Wicked, June 6- Everyday Rapture, June 23- The Wiz, June 25- Hair July 15- Shrek, August 9- Wicked, September 7- Rock of Ages, October 11- Next To Normal, October 23- The Marvelous Wonderettes, November 7- Ragtime November 29- Dreamgirls, December 25- Billy Elliot, December 30- Finian's Rainbow, 2010: January 9- Bye Bye Birdie, January 16- Memphis February 17- The Phantom of The Opera, February 18- God of Carnage, March 7- Billy Elliot, March 31- American Idiot

dramamama611
#35re: Award for 3 Billys Unfair
Posted: 5/11/09 at 3:18pm

Honestly I don't believe for a minute that if Billy were an adult role with the same amount of "demands" (which is only dancing...he doesnt sing that much) it would NOT be a shared role.

Other than kids roles, La Boheme on B'way and Christine in Phantom: can anyone list other SHARED parts on b'way?

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

sgv123
#36re: Award for 3 Billys Unfair
Posted: 5/11/09 at 3:25pm

Good point about if Billy were an adult role...but Billy is not an adult role and I don't think an adult will ever have a role like that. It is a one of a kind role, that I don't think has ever been done before and I think that is why it is being recognized.
Updated On: 5/11/09 at 03:25 PM

Mister Matt
#37re: Award for 3 Billys Unfair
Posted: 5/11/09 at 3:35pm

As long as we're covering totally new ground here, how about that Best Musical snub to Dolly for 9 to 5? My theory is that the world hates Dolly (and by "world", I mean "the lower classes"), which is totally unfair. Sure, it's not her category and the show didn't receive great reviews, but it still is completely illogical. I just wanted to be the first to introduce the subject.

WishingOnlyWounds2
#38re: Award for 3 Billys Unfair
Posted: 5/11/09 at 3:40pm

There is no new ground, and that is completely irrelevant.

2008: Feb. 18- Rent, Feb. 19- Curtains, April 18- Xanadu, April 22- Wicked, April 26- Legally Blonde, May 31- Wicked, June 13- The Little Mermaid, June 28- Wicked and Young Frankenstein, July 2- The Little Mermaid, July 6- A Chorus Line and Legally Blonde, August 16- Xanadu, September 13- Legally Blonde and 13, September 28- Xanadu and Spring Awakening, Oct. 12-GYPSY and [title of show], Oct. 19- Hairspray & Legally Blonde, Nov. 9- Wicked and 13, Dec. 14-13, Dec. 26- Billy Elliot, 2009: Jan 1- Shrek, Jan 2- 13 and Wicked, Jan 4- 13, Feb 17- In The Heights, Feb 19- Billy Elliot, Feb 22- Sweeney Todd (tour), March 28- Mary Poppins, April 4- Mamma Mia!, April 15- Jersey Boys (on tour), April 25- next to normal & 9 to 5 May 1- Billy Elliot, May 3- Spelling Bee (tour), May 8- Chicago, May 21- Wicked, June 6- Everyday Rapture, June 23- The Wiz, June 25- Hair July 15- Shrek, August 9- Wicked, September 7- Rock of Ages, October 11- Next To Normal, October 23- The Marvelous Wonderettes, November 7- Ragtime November 29- Dreamgirls, December 25- Billy Elliot, December 30- Finian's Rainbow, 2010: January 9- Bye Bye Birdie, January 16- Memphis February 17- The Phantom of The Opera, February 18- God of Carnage, March 7- Billy Elliot, March 31- American Idiot

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#39re: Award for 3 Billys Unfair
Posted: 5/11/09 at 3:41pm

If Billy were an adult role, it wouldn't be shared? Is that supposed to be some kind of revelation?

A work of art is an invitation to love.

Tom's Cat Profile Photo
Tom's Cat
#40re: Award for 3 Billys Unfair
Posted: 5/11/09 at 3:42pm

"Honestly I don't believe for a minute that if Billy were an adult role with the same amount of "demands" (which is only dancing...he doesnt sing that much) it would NOT be a shared role."

I didn't say IF the Billy role were an adult role it would not be shared. What I said was that if any of the other roles up for nomination were just as demanding as the Billy role AND they were played by children, then they would also have been shared by more than one actor. You simply cannot have a child performing that demanding a role 8 times a week. And many, MANY, adult actors wouldn't (or couldn't) do it either.

Meow!

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#41re: Award for 3 Billys Unfair
Posted: 5/11/09 at 3:44pm

"There is no new ground, and that is completely irrelevant"

MM was being sarcastic, wounds.

....but the world goes 'round

Scripps2 Profile Photo
Scripps2
#42re: Award for 3 Billys Unfair
Posted: 5/11/09 at 4:34pm

What is red velvet cake?

Please may we have a London production of it?
Updated On: 5/11/09 at 04:34 PM

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#43re: Award for 3 Billys Unfair
Posted: 5/11/09 at 4:40pm

Mmmmmmmm...

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

Scripps2 Profile Photo
Scripps2
#44re: Award for 3 Billys Unfair
Posted: 5/11/09 at 4:51pm

Strawberry? Raspberry? Cherry?

We don't get enough Key Lime Pie over here either.

StageManager2 Profile Photo
StageManager2
#45re: Award for 3 Billys Unfair
Posted: 5/11/09 at 5:11pm

Here's the recipe for Red Velvet Cake for whoever wants it. Damn Waldorf-Astoria charged me 100 bucks! (Copy/paste and pass it along.)

INGREDIENTS

CAKE
- 1/2 c Shortening
- 2 Eggs
- 1 ts Vanilla
- 1 ts Salt
- 2 1/2 c Flour, all purpose; sifted
- 1 ts Baking soda
- 1 1/2 c Sugar
- 1/4 c Food coloring, red
- 2 tb Cocoa
- 1 c Buttermilk
- 1 tb Vinegar

FROSTING
- 1 c Milk
- 5 ts Flour, all purpose
- 1 c Butter
- 1 c Sugar, powdered; sifted
- 1 ts Vanilla

INSTRUCTIONS

CAKE: Cream shortening and sugar till fluffy. Add eggs and beat 1 minute. Add salt, beat. Add vanilla and coloring to buttermilk. Alternate adding flour and milk mixtures to batter. Combine soda and vinegar in cup and add to cake batter. Bake in (2) 9" cake pans at 350°F for 25 to 30 minutes. Cool on cake racks.

FROSTING: Cook milk and flour until thick; cool in fridge. Beat butter, sugar and vanilla with mixer. Add flour and milk mixture a little at a time (make ahead of cake so that it has plenty of time to cool). Beat well.

Salve, Regina, Mater misericordiae
Vita, dulcedo, et spes nostra
Salve, Salve Regina
Ad te clamamus exsules filii Eva
Ad te suspiramus, gementes et flentes
O clemens O pia
Updated On: 5/11/09 at 05:11 PM

Weez Profile Photo
Weez
#46re: Award for 3 Billys Unfair
Posted: 5/11/09 at 5:35pm

I've never had red velvet cake, I'm going to have to give that recipe a go. My sister made a great cake the other day that was just some kind of flourless chocolate cake, floating on a layer of warm chocolate sauce. Apparently it's ridiculously easy to make, so we're going to have it again sometime. Can't wait!

I've had one of these cakes though:

I sat and admired it for like ten minutes before I could bring myself to chow down. Instead of being a normal cake, it was chocolate; instead of having pink icing, it had purple; and instead of pastel-coloured flowers, it had them in duskier tones. It was SOOO beautiful. :3

fbueller
#47re: Award for 3 Billys Unfair
Posted: 5/11/09 at 5:40pm

Does anyone else think that the cupcakes from Magnolia Bakery are overrated?

Mister Matt
#48re: Award for 3 Billys Unfair
Posted: 5/11/09 at 5:48pm

I've never tried Magnolia, but I did have several from the Hummingbird Bakery in Notting Hill AND one of them was Red Velvet.

dramamama611
#49re: Award for 3 Billys Unfair
Posted: 5/11/09 at 5:52pm

Then I suppose I misunderstood your post. My bad.

Videos