pixeltracker

THE COLOR PURPLE Movie Musical - News & Discussion Thread- Page 22

THE COLOR PURPLE Movie Musical - News & Discussion Thread

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#525COLOR PURPLE movie musical currently in development
Posted: 12/10/23 at 10:30am

Trying to keep an open mind until I see this for myself, but it's definitely disheartening to see so much of the score from the musical has been cut. I understand cutting a song or two, but this is A LOT of cut songs...

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#526COLOR PURPLE movie musical currently in development
Posted: 12/10/23 at 11:51am

to make a film adaptation of a musical just to cut half of the material is ridiculous.

Bob Fosse’s 1972 film adaptation of CABARET did it quite successfully.  

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#527COLOR PURPLE movie musical currently in development
Posted: 12/10/23 at 12:17pm

Only disappointed to hear "Too Beautiful for Words" & "The Color Purple" were cut.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

JP2 Profile Photo
JP2
#528COLOR PURPLE movie musical currently in development
Posted: 12/10/23 at 1:18pm

TaffyDavenport said: "Too Beautiful for Words" is listed on the soundtrack, and, regardless, "Miss Celie's Blues" wouldn't replace it anyway. It would replace "Push Da Button," if anything, but it hasn't, since both are in the film."

Lyrically, "Miss Celie's Blues" does the same thing narratively that "Too Beautiful For Words" does in the musical.

marytylermoore Profile Photo
marytylermoore
#529COLOR PURPLE movie musical currently in development
Posted: 12/10/23 at 10:05pm

JP2 said: "TaffyDavenport said: "Too Beautiful for Words" is listed on the soundtrack, and, regardless, "Miss Celie's Blues" wouldn't replace it anyway. It would replace "Push Da Button," if anything, but it hasn't, since both are in the film."

Lyrically, "Miss Celie's Blues" does the same thing narratively that "Too Beautiful For Words" does in the musical.
"

I will say that Miss Celie's Blues does not appear in this version where it does in the original/in place of Too Beautiful for Words. It's sort of odd how they shoehorn it in. 

ggersten Profile Photo
ggersten
#530COLOR PURPLE movie musical currently in development
Posted: 12/10/23 at 10:35pm

BrodyFosse123 said: "to make a film adaptation of a musical just to cut half of the material is ridiculous.

"

Fosse's version also cut half the story. But Fosse and the creative team had a purpose behind cutting half the score - turning it into a film with musical numbers rather than a musical film. 

I think a better example might be On The Town which cut almost the entire stage production's score. 

JP2 Profile Photo
JP2
#531COLOR PURPLE movie musical currently in development
Posted: 12/11/23 at 9:31am

marytylermoore said: "JP2 said: "TaffyDavenport said: "Too Beautiful for Words" is listed on the soundtrack, and, regardless, "Miss Celie's Blues" wouldn't replace it anyway. It would replace "Push Da Button," if anything, but it hasn't, since both are in the film."

"

I will say that Miss Celie's Blues does not appear in this version where it does in the original/in place of Too Beautiful for Words. It's sort of odd how they shoehorn it in."

Well, that's interesting.

teddy1996
#532COLOR PURPLE movie musical currently in development
Posted: 12/11/23 at 9:36am

the movie has officially been nominated for two golden globes for best actress and best supporting actress. sadly the movie was snubbed for best picture, best director, and best musical/comedy

congrats to fantasia and danielle brooks!!

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
Scarywarhol Profile Photo
Scarywarhol
#534COLOR PURPLE movie musical currently in development
Posted: 12/11/23 at 4:55pm

I've always felt that the score being too generic is the show's biggest problem, but the things they've decided to cut are kind of mystifying. 

It also feels like they're further minimizing the queer aspects of the story based on some of these cuts, which is nothing new for adaptations of The Color Purple but surprises me a bit at this point. 

ggersten Profile Photo
ggersten
#535COLOR PURPLE movie musical currently in development
Posted: 12/11/23 at 5:16pm

TaffyDavenport said: "

Does not look like they are hiding that this is a musical, anymore. 

"

lostboys&goldengirls
#536COLOR PURPLE movie musical currently in development
Posted: 12/12/23 at 11:22am

Is it odd that no official reviews have come out yet considering the premier was in late November? I know there's still two weeks until the release, but I would've thought early reviews would be out by now so the fact that nothing official has been published makes me worried the studio is expecting negative responses. 

I've been anticipating this movie for a long time, but I'm feeling a little worried this is going to be yet another dud of a movie musical adaptation. Had high hopes with this cast and creative team. 

everythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
#537COLOR PURPLE movie musical currently in development
Posted: 12/12/23 at 1:42pm

BrodyFosse123 said: "to make a film adaptation of a musical just to cut half of the material is ridiculous.

"

The difference is we already have a non-musical version of The Color Purple on film. 

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008

JSquared2
#538COLOR PURPLE movie musical currently in development
Posted: 12/12/23 at 1:57pm

everythingtaboo said: "BrodyFosse123 said: "to make a film adaptation of a musical just to cut half of the material is ridiculous.

"

The difference is we already have a non-musical version of The Color Purple on film.
"

Not a great argument -- there was also already a non-musical film version of  I AM A CAMERA

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Am_a_Camera_(film)

verywellthensigh
#539COLOR PURPLE movie musical currently in development
Posted: 12/13/23 at 12:20pm

The New Yorker's Richard Brody doesn't have a full review, but he's put it in his top 20 films of the year.  Hmmm...

Someone in a Tree2 Profile Photo
Someone in a Tree2
#540COLOR PURPLE movie musical currently in development
Posted: 12/13/23 at 2:08pm

Pretty sure the producers placed an embargo on publishing reviews until the official opening, so not the fault of reviewers.  I saw a screener and am in the camp of those deeply disappointed that they threw out so much of the Bway score, and replaced most of these numbers with new and distinctly inferior songs (some written by the director himself). It's one thing to discard part of a score because there's not enough space in a feature film's running time; it's quite another when the great songs are tossed for other lesser ones. Grrrrr!

Miserent Profile Photo
Miserent
#541COLOR PURPLE movie musical currently in development
Posted: 12/15/23 at 12:29am

The soundtrack is streaming.  Currently in the middle of Push Da Button, Taraji sounds fantastic.  Hell No was great, and even though I miss a bunch of the cut songs, I’m enjoying the sound and feeling of this new soundtrack overall thus far. 

teddy1996
#542COLOR PURPLE movie musical currently in development
Posted: 12/15/23 at 1:03am

the new arrangements of the songs are absolutely great. they made shug avery’s comin to town so much faster and jazzier and it sounds amazing. i am a bit bummed that they shortened what about love tho

ColdClimateDude
#543COLOR PURPLE movie musical currently in development
Posted: 12/15/23 at 1:34am

Someone in a Tree2 said: "Pretty sure the producers placed an embargo on publishing reviews until the official opening, so not the fault of reviewers. I saw a screener and am in the camp of those deeply disappointed that they threw out so much of the Bway score, and replaced most of these numbers with new and distinctly inferior songs (some written by the director himself). It's one thing to discard part of a score because there's not enough space in a feature film's running time; it's quite another when the great songs are tossed for other lesser ones. Grrrrr!"

The embargo on reviews lifts Tuesday, December 19th.  That's when you can expect a flood of critics to officially publish their thoughts.  I've seen the film as well and I agree that the score is a real mish-mash of sounds now, with the new songs coming across as distinctly different than the original Broadway tunes.  Push 'Da Button and I'm Here are also shortened, which is totally crazy.

musicalfandukie Profile Photo
musicalfandukie
#544COLOR PURPLE movie musical currently in development
Posted: 12/15/23 at 2:49am

I've listened to the soundtrack a few times now and I'm loving all the new arrangements for the songs from the stage musical. Everyone sounds great. My biggest complaint is that I feel like they cut too many songs from the stage show. I'm not all that impressed with the new ones they replaced them with. The new songs feel very safe and they are not all that memorable. All the wow moments come from the songs that were already in the stage show. They aren't bad songs either, it might just take a few more listens to appreciate them. "Keep It Movin" is probably the best new song out of the bunch but it kind of sounds like a modern pop song compared to the rest of the songs. I'm wondering how many cuts they made for the soundtrack compared to what's in the movie because most of the songs seem pretty short. The runtime for the soundtrack is 47 minutes and the movie is 2 hours and 20 minutes. That would mean almost an hour and 33 minutes of the movie has no singing. That seems like a pretty long amount of time if so.

Updated On: 12/15/23 at 02:49 AM

Rentaholic2
#545COLOR PURPLE movie musical currently in development
Posted: 12/15/23 at 9:11am

Maybe I'm in the minority here, but...

1)  I don't hate the new material, and there's not as much of it as people seem to have suggested.  It's mostly very rhythmic ("Workin'" and "Agoo" are basically just percussion), which I think meshes well with how they've re-orchestrated much of the pre-existing material.  It also doesn't sounds much more modern/out-of-place than the stage songs to me.  "Keep It Movin'" definitely bops along like a modern pop song, but it starts with a harmonica and is pretty jazzy both musically and instrumentally.      

2)  I don't know....I don't miss a lot of the stuff they cut.  I wish they kept Brown Betty and Too Beautiful for Words, but just because I like those songs.  Film is a different medium, and I'd rather them make tough (but right) choices rather than keep songs just to keep them to the detriment of the film. 

3) About the songs being shortened - most of them are still 3+ minutes, which seems right for a movie.  Long musical sequences from stage shows rarely make it to film fully intact.  And maybe I'm missing something, but in what way did they shorten I'm Here?  The soundtrack version is almost 5 minutes long.  Is it shorter in the actual film?

marytylermoore Profile Photo
marytylermoore
#546COLOR PURPLE movie musical currently in development
Posted: 12/15/23 at 1:08pm

Rentaholic2 said: "Maybe I'm in the minority here, but...

1) I don't hate the new material, and there's not as much of it as people seem to have suggested. It's mostly very rhythmic ("Workin'" and "Agoo" are basically just percussion), which I think meshes well with how they've re-orchestrated much of the pre-existing material. It also doesn't sounds much more modern/out-of-place than the stage songs to me. "Keep It Movin'" definitely bops along like a modern pop song, but it starts with a harmonica and is pretty jazzy both musically and instrumentally.

2) I don't know....I don't miss a lot of the stuff they cut. I wish they kept Brown Betty and Too Beautiful for Words, but just because I like those songs. Film is a different medium, and I'd rather them make tough (but right) choices rather than keep songs just to keep them to the detriment of the film.

3) About the songs being shortened - most of them are still 3+ minutes, which seems right for a movie. Long musical sequences from stage shows rarely make it to film fully intact. And maybe I'm missing something, but in what way did they shorten I'm Here? The soundtrack version is almost 5 minutes long. Is it shorter in the actual film?
"

Spoiler here, but in the movie, I'm Here begins with "I got my sister" and the intro is cut. 

shomeika Profile Photo
shomeika
#547COLOR PURPLE movie musical currently in development
Posted: 12/15/23 at 3:26pm

The soundtrack is supposed to be streaming now, but on Itunes its only available as singular songs and not the entire album.  Perhaps it is forthcoming.  There are a bunch of "dance remixes" of songs, which seem a little different.   I hope this film is good!

Clint. Atlanta,GA
Updated On: 12/15/23 at 03:26 PM

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#548COLOR PURPLE movie musical currently in development
Posted: 12/15/23 at 4:15pm

Whatever link that had all of the songs doesn't work anymore. "I'm Here" is out there on YouTube, but nothing else.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

musicalfandukie Profile Photo
musicalfandukie
#549COLOR PURPLE movie musical currently in development
Posted: 12/15/23 at 4:29pm

shomeika said: "The soundtrack is supposed to be streaming now, but on Itunes its only available as singular songs and not the entire album. Perhaps it is forthcoming. There are a bunch of "dance remixes" of songs, which seem a little different. I hope this film is good!

"

I found the soundtrack on itunes with out any issues. It is also on Spotify

https://open.spotify.com/album/3OWJJ98IlTcnSKKrbgeCT5#login

Apple Music

https://music.apple.com/by/album/the-color-purple-music-from-and-inspired-by/1720834534

Updated On: 12/15/23 at 04:29 PM

Videos