pixeltracker

Sunset Boulevard Revival Broadway Thread- Page 24

Sunset Boulevard Revival Broadway Thread

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#575SUNSET BOULEVARD in Performances
Posted: 2/28/17 at 12:26am

Darn! Well, I'll look forward to that moment then (as well as the rest of the show, of course!). Thanks, Scarywarhol SUNSET BOULEVARD in Performances

chernjam Profile Photo
chernjam
#576SUNSET BOULEVARD in Performances
Posted: 2/28/17 at 12:44am

BroadwayConcierge said: "Darn! Well, I'll look forward to that moment then (as well as the rest of the show, of course!). Thanks, Scarywarhol SUNSET BOULEVARD in Performances "

Yeah I was kind of surprised that they didn't keep that finale.  But I wasn't disappointed with the way they concluded it.  You know what got me at the end of Act I - (oh wait, I should put a spolier here)

Click Here To Toggle Spoiler Content

When Joe comes back to the mansion after the suicide attempt, I always thought that underscoring of "The Perfect Year" where Norma says "go away" was moving... it's one of ALW's favorite things - to take a  melody and turn it around on the character (for example Dont Cry for me Argentina sung in triumph then as Eva is dying...) - so here, her song thinking of "The Perfect Year" with Joe has ended in a less than perfect night.

Anyway, now they have Joe enter and there's silence, until the end of the Act...  I really missed that, although I suppose it does make a more dramatic punch when she does kiss him

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#577SUNSET BOULEVARD in Performances
Posted: 2/28/17 at 7:48am

chernjam said: "...the Hudson Theatre would be a great venue for a revival of Aspects of Love.  Now that's WAY overdue"

I want a revival of The Woman in White. Phantom is my favorite ALW score, but I vacillate between Sunset Boulevard and The Woman in White for first runner up. I understand there were issues with the set/projections in the original production, but I think the score was fantastic.

==> this board is a nest of vipers <==

"Michael Riedel...The Perez Hilton of the New York Theatre scene"
- Craig Hepworth, What's On Stage

muscle23ftl Profile Photo
muscle23ftl
#578SUNSET BOULEVARD in Performances
Posted: 2/28/17 at 10:56am

The score of WIW is fantastic, but it takes a lot of listens to get into it. Sorta like Sunset I guess, and the last production was a total flop. I think Aspects is due for a revival, since it's been many many years...I highy doubt WIW will be revived any time soon...but I'd definitely go to see it if it came back to Broadway. Also I'd like to see a revival of Beautiful Game, and Whistle Down the Wind and Bombay Dreams.

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#579SUNSET BOULEVARD in Performances
Posted: 2/28/17 at 11:39am

muscle23ftl said: "The score of WIW is fantastic, but it takes a lot of listens to get into it. Sorta like Sunset I guess, and the last production was a total flop. I think Aspects is due for a revival, since it's been many many years...I highy doubt WIW will be revived any time soon...but I'd definitely go to see it if it came back to Broadway. Also I'd like to see a revival of Beautiful Game, and Whistle Down the Wind and Bombay Dreams."

My response to WIW was quite the opposite - I bought the CD with no prior exposure to the music and was immediately transported from the first listen. I found the score dark, moody, mysterious, haunting, and at times grand (everything I love). While the show was somewhat more successful in London, it was certainly a flop in NY. As with Sunset Boulevard, I'm so angry with myself for having visited New York during its run - even walked right past the Marquis Theatre sign! - and didn't see it.

Ironically, out of all ALW's scores, Aspects of Love is the one that "takes a lot of listens to get into" for me. I still don't care for all it; the music feels somewhat rambling and incidental to me, if that makes any sense. My favorite track is "Mermaid Song".

That said, I would definitely see Aspects if they revived it. I would also like to see Whistle Down the Wind.

g.d.e.l.g.i. Profile Photo
g.d.e.l.g.i.
#580SUNSET BOULEVARD in Performances
Posted: 2/28/17 at 2:04pm

Whistle could work, but it needs a specific touch.

Formerly gvendo2005
Broadway Legend

Blocked: After Eight, suestorm, david_fick, emlodik, lovebwy, Dave28282, joevitus, BorisTomashevsky

Valentina3 Profile Photo
Valentina3
#581SUNSET BOULEVARD in Performances
Posted: 2/28/17 at 3:56pm

I'm still holding out for discount codes for May, but feel like it might not be worth waiting much longer.

per muscle23ftl, I should sit in $299.00 which is painfully out of my budget. Is row K or N (those side orchestra seats which feel like an elevated box from pictures) too far/restricted? They're available for $139.00 the night I'm looking for. Or should I got to $199.00 mid-mezz (row 4)?

Caption: Every so often there was a rare moment of perfect balance when I soared above him.

Flowerlovestage5 Profile Photo
Flowerlovestage5
#582SUNSET BOULEVARD in Performances
Posted: 2/28/17 at 4:05pm

Valentina3 said: "I'm still holding out for discount codes for May, but feel like it might not be worth waiting much longer.

per muscle23ftl, I should sit in $299.00 which is painfully out of my budget. Is row K or N (those side orchestra seats which feel like an elevated box from pictures) too far/restricted? They're available for $139.00 the night I'm looking for. Or should I got to $199.00 mid-mezz (row 4)?

I was in Row F, Center Mezz and the view was perfect.  That front portion of the mezz is not far from the stage or too elevated like some.  It was perfect.  I would go with row 4. 

muscle23ftl
#583SUNSET BOULEVARD in Performances
Posted: 2/28/17 at 4:06pm

I think the side orchestra for $139 are great, you may miss a little something, but not a big deal. Try to sit on the right side if you can, but if not, the left side is ok too.

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-

muscle23ftl
#584SUNSET BOULEVARD in Performances
Posted: 2/28/17 at 4:09pm

Flowerlovestage5 said: "Valentina3 said: "I'm still holding out for discount codes for May, but feel like it might not be worth waiting much longer.

I was in Row F, Center Mezz and the view was perfect.  That front portion of the mezz is not far from the stage or too elevated like some.  It was perfect.  I would go with row 4. 

"

yeah, do what he/she says then. I didn't sit in the front mezzanine, but the front mezzanine for this theatre is very good I hear.

Updated On: 2/28/17 at 04:09 PM

muscle23ftl
#585SUNSET BOULEVARD in Performances
Posted: 2/28/17 at 4:17pm

Lot666 said: "muscle23ftl said: "The score of WIW is fantastic, but it takes a lot of listens to get into it. Sorta like Sunset I guess, and the last production was a total flop. I think Aspects is due for a revival, since it's been many many years...I highy doubt WIW will be revived any time soon...but I'd definitely go to see it if it came back to Broadway. Also I'd like to see a revival of Beautiful Game, and Whistle Down the Wind and Bombay Dreams."

My response to WIW was quite the opposite - I bought the CD with no prior exposure to the music and was immediately transported from the first listen. I found the score dark, moody, mysterious, haunting, and at times grand (everything I love). While the show was somewhat more successful in London, it was certainly a flop in NY. As with Sunset Boulevard, I'm so angry with myself for having visited New York during its run - even walked right past the Marquis Theatre sign! - and didn't see it.

Ironically, out of all ALW's scores, Aspects of Love is the one that "takes a lot of listens to get into" for me. I still don't care for all it; the music feels somewhat rambling and incidental to me, if that makes any sense. My favorite track is "Mermaid Song".

That said, I would definitely see Aspects if they revived it. I would also like to see Whistle Down the Wind.

The good thing is that Glenn Close came back with the show...so I had the same issue...but I'm so grateful she decided to grace the Broadway stage with this lush production. And I am pretty sure you got to see her in this fantastic revival. So you can forgive yourself now, haha.

I was too young when Aspects was on Broadway...but I almost also missed Bombay Dreams due to no interest. But glad that Wicked was sold out that afternoon, so I ended up getting the cheap seats to Bombay Dreams and it was a huge surprise. The one I will never forgive myself for missing is Vanessa Williams in Kiss of the Spider Woman. Hopefully it will be revived with a good leading star (Audra is totally wrong for this show by the way).

chernjam Profile Photo
chernjam
#586SUNSET BOULEVARD in Performances
Posted: 2/28/17 at 11:02pm

Valentina3 said: "I'm still holding out for discount codes for May, but feel like it might not be worth waiting much longer.

"

Valentina - I just looked at Ticketmaster - and it's bizarre... there are seats in the front rows of the orchestra - Row E has a seat for $199; Row F (right behind it) has it for $299.  The closer you get to the performance and if there's a lot of tickets for that night, the prices do seem to drop (particularly on Wednesdays)  not sure if there will be more discounts - but keep looking

chernjam Profile Photo
chernjam
Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#588SUNSET BOULEVARD in Performances
Posted: 3/1/17 at 7:52am

chernjam said: "...there are seats in the front rows of the orchestra - Row E has a seat for $199; Row F (right behind it) has it for $299."

This is infuriating! I've now bought a total of four tickets to this show, all at $299, and now the same seats are selling for $100 less. angry

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#589SUNSET BOULEVARD in Performances
Posted: 3/1/17 at 7:59am

chernjam said: "Forbes magazine on Sunset knocking Mormon out of top 5 last week:  https://www.forbes.com/sites/leeseymour/2017/02/27/glenn-close-beats-book-of-mormon-at-broadway-box-office/#6f68737b3c2d"

"Interestingly, Phantom Of The Opera, which usually follows the holiday tides, was up $41,000." smiley

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#590SUNSET BOULEVARD in Performances
Posted: 3/1/17 at 8:37am

chernjam said: "it's bizarre... there are seats in the front rows of the orchestra - Row E has a seat for $199; Row F (right behind it) has it for $299.  The closer you get to the performance and if there's a lot of tickets for that night, the prices do seem to drop"

A day or two out, they released row N and O on a Saturday matinee, which never even showed up on the map before that, and I was able to sit there for $169. I assume they were held for potential premiums, as well. Row E could be where the house seats are, so when they released them, they weren't listed as premium, which makes sense, and isn't uncommon.

Valentina3 Profile Photo
Valentina3
#591SUNSET BOULEVARD in Performances
Posted: 3/1/17 at 10:46am

Thank you for the heads up, chernjam. I'll be vigilant. 

cool

Caption: Every so often there was a rare moment of perfect balance when I soared above him.

ChrisTyler12882 Profile Photo
ChrisTyler12882
#592SUNSET BOULEVARD in Performances
Posted: 3/1/17 at 12:08pm

Michael Xavier is out for the matinee today and Sean Thompson is going on as Joe. 

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#593SUNSET BOULEVARD in Performances
Posted: 3/1/17 at 12:42pm

ChrisTyler12882 said: "Michael Xavier is out for the matinee today and Sean Thompson is going on as Joe."

Mr. Thompson is American, right? I'd be curious to hear him sing the title song because Mr. Xavier's pronunciation of the phrase "Sunset Boulevard" kinda irks me.

ChrisTyler12882 Profile Photo
ChrisTyler12882
#594SUNSET BOULEVARD in Performances
Posted: 3/1/17 at 2:41pm

Yeah, Sean is from the Philadelphia area. He played Joe in The Media Theatre's production a few years back. 

10086sunset
#595SUNSET BOULEVARD in Performances
Posted: 3/1/17 at 4:16pm

Newest code is valid for performances up to March 22.

Orchestra from $109. Seats starting at $55.

Code is PLAY.

Valentina3 Profile Photo
Valentina3
#596SUNSET BOULEVARD in Performances
Posted: 3/1/17 at 5:34pm

^nice!

I guess I'll just wait. Sunset will have significant competition in May with multiple shows opening in next few weeks. They'll most definitely have discounts.

chernjam Profile Photo
chernjam
#597SUNSET BOULEVARD in Performances
Posted: 3/1/17 at 10:12pm

Valentina3 said: "^nice!

I guess I'll just wait. Sunset will have significant competition in May with multiple shows opening in next few weeks. They'll most definitely have discounts.

"

I'm wondering about that Valentina -  if you look at the graph on the grosses page, the first quarter of the year is traditionally down for shows - and once we get March/April, tourists start picking up, the buzz of new shows draws more people to NY - so tickets sales pick up.  I know I had checked a few random nights for my return visit in March and April and was surprised more tickets were sold than for the dates I checked in more recently... 

Add that it's a limited engagement... I wouldn't wait TOO long.  I'm sure you'll be able to score tickets as the Palace is a huge house, but probably won't get as good seats as you can pick now.  Just my two cents.  Love this production and want people to get to experience it as well as I did

muscle23ftl
#598SUNSET BOULEVARD in Performances
Posted: 3/1/17 at 10:34pm

chernjam said: "Valentina3 said: "^nice!

"

I'm wondering about that Valentina -  if you look at the graph on the grosses page, the first quarter of the year is traditionally down for shows - and once we get March/April, tourists start picking up, the buzz of new shows draws more people to NY - so tickets sales pick up.  I know I had checked a few random nights for my return visit in March and April and was surprised more tickets were sold than for the dates I checked in more recently... 

Add that it's a limited engagement... I wouldn't wait TOO long.  I'm sure you'll be able to score tickets as the Palace is a huge house, but probably won't get as good seats as you can pick now.  Just my two cents.  Love this production and want people to get to experience it as well as I did

"you're totally right. Don't wait to get tickets. Just know that Wed and Thurs performances are a bit cheaper...so I say go on those dates and get tix soon! 

LesWickedly Profile Photo
LesWickedly
#599SUNSET BOULEVARD in Performances
Posted: 3/1/17 at 10:42pm

I'm really considering seeing this, but a part of me is worried that the To Be Announced show for Ahmanson is this one and I really would be disappointed, even if it is worth seeing it more than once, because I could use that show slot to see another. 

Videos