Pippin Tour?

Jakeevan942
#600Pippin Tour?
Posted: 3/23/16 at 1:35pm

The casting call went up last week-Pippin contracts run January-December of 2017, including sit-downs at both Prather dinner theaters, and the summer season touring in China.

They seem to have pulled the info from the audition about the Bridges Tour. Not sure if this means the tour was cancelled in the past week, or if they are doing auditions later.

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#601Pippin Tour?
Posted: 3/23/16 at 1:51pm

So it is almost like they just bought the sets and costumes are are just doing their own thing?

HUSSY POWER! ------ HUSSY POWER!

Jakeevan942
#602Pippin Tour?
Posted: 3/23/16 at 2:11pm

It depends-If they are actually buying the tour set and costumes from the equity tour, I would assume that associates are going to be re-staging Paulus's direction. The casting call doesn't indicate director/choreographer, so it's going to be a bit of a waiting game.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#603Pippin Tour?
Posted: 2/9/17 at 8:29pm

the non-equity tour has been running for a month now, has anyone seen it?

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

wicked4l
#604Pippin Tour?
Posted: 2/9/17 at 9:54pm

The tour is COMPLETELY different from the scary trailer we saw a few months ago. They have the complete set from the Equity tour, all the costumes, Dianne Paulus' associate directed the tour and original choreographer Chett Walker choreographed the show. Should be very close to what we saw in 2013 and on the road.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#605Pippin Tour?
Posted: 2/9/17 at 10:21pm

thank you. looking to see this when it stops on New Brunswick, NJ in March.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

TheatreFan4 Profile Photo
TheatreFan4
#606Pippin Tour?
Posted: 2/9/17 at 10:54pm

Here's a video from the actual tour

The only thing that is bothering me is that Berthe is literally 25-30 years old

Pippin Tour?

which just zaps... all of the magic of her trapeze act right out of the situation when you can tell the actress is absolutely not 60-70 like she's supposed to be. 

But besides that I'm looking forward to seeing it on the 28th.

Updated On: 2/9/17 at 10:54 PM

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#607Pippin Tour?
Posted: 2/9/17 at 11:06pm

Here's a link: https://youtu.be/RStRcR9e2BY

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

phan24 Profile Photo
phan24
#608Pippin Tour?
Posted: 2/10/17 at 9:18am

Thanks for the link, this looks really good actually, aside from the young actor playing the King (I think Berthe passes fine for a young grandma). They're making justice to the original cast, would love to catch it around.

PatrickDC Profile Photo
PatrickDC
#609Pippin Tour?
Posted: 2/10/17 at 8:56pm

Geezus...this has to be the most insane tour schedule ever, or certainly the most draining. Not just for the cast but for the crew who needs to strike, drive, install, test all the rigging, strike etc. Several one night performances in a row. 

Tours with crazy (to me) schedules like this fascinate me. I can't believe they'd pick a city that couldn't support at least 2 or 3 nights in the same town. Moving a show like Pippin (again, thinking of the rigging, it's not THE most intense show set-wise) every day for months on end seems like it would cost more hiring the crew so often. I don't understand the business of show. 

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#610Pippin Tour?
Posted: 2/10/17 at 9:36pm

Is it shocking to see a non-eq with that kind of schedule? Isn't this the norm?

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

barbraboy19902
#611Pippin Tour?
Posted: 2/10/17 at 10:14pm

I saw this in Columbus, GA a few weeks ago. It was incredible!! The guy who played Pippin (I believe his name was Naysh Fox) was perfect! 

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#612Pippin Tour?
Posted: 2/10/17 at 10:52pm

For a non-eq tour that looks pretty darn close to the original. 

I did a 1 nighter type tour and it is rough. But most of the cast is fairly young and excited and in the grand scheme you're only working for 3 hours a day. The tech crew has it worst, but they usually get sleeper buses and then when the show is actually playing 1-3 nights they get some time off. 

Jakeevan942
#613Pippin Tour?
Posted: 2/10/17 at 10:58pm

PatrickDC said: "Geezus...this has to be the most insane tour schedule ever, or certainly the most draining. Not just for the cast but for the crew who needs to strike, drive, install, test all the rigging, strike etc. Several one night performances in a row. 

Tours with crazy (to me) schedules like this fascinate me. I can't believe they'd pick a city that couldn't support at least 2 or 3 nights in the same town. Moving a show like Pippin (again, thinking of the rigging, it's not THE most intense show set-wise) every day for months on end seems like it would cost more hiring the crew so often. I don't understand the business of show. 

This is totally the norm with non-equity bus and truck tours. They are designed to roll up to the venue for 8am, do the show at 8pm, tear down and be back on the road by 2am to arrive in the next city for 8am. The techs have a really difficult job, specially since half of the venues these tours get booked to can't fit the whole tour, and the crew need to decide what to keep and what to cut everyday.

The Pippin schedule isn't too terrible-There are only a few bad stretches of one-nighters-I've had friends on tours who have had to do 500 mile drives overnight, 13 one-nighters in a row with 7 time zone changes, and a week of venues where the stage manager had to call the show from the truck in the loading dock. I know the Annie Tour one week last season traveled 3000 miles in a week.

Prather actually seems to have done a really good job with this tour-I'll see it in a few weeks in New Jersey to know for certain.

"

sbflyfan Profile Photo
sbflyfan
#614Pippin Tour?
Posted: 2/28/17 at 10:45am

Saw this tour last night in Erie, PA, having previously seen its Equity counterpart in Pittsburgh and Cleveland.  The production is in great shape, although not as perfectly 'polished' as the Equity version was (but I think that works, in a way, considering what this traveling troupe of performers is supposed to be). 

Very strong cast. Housso Semon is the Leading Player with a commanding presence and solid voice. I didn't find myself distracted and worrying if the she'd be able to hit her notes, as I did when seeing Sasha Allen.  Naysh Fox plays up Pippin's awkwardness well and has a clear voice.  Savannah Sprinkle is quite a talent and working some magic as Catherine.  Her quite layered performance made the largest impression on me.  Really unfortunate that a cell phone went off during the silence before "I Guess I'll Miss The Man."

Since it was a one-nighter, they cut all aerial work, which was a huge disappointment since it was featured on the preview video a few posts up in this thread, and made me decide to attend.  Berthe's partner for the trapeze act just held her in his arms and flipped her around a bit with a lot of hamming.  This earned cheers and applause from the audience who for the most part probably didn't know what they were missing, but I thought the scene fell absolutely flat. I was concerned about the same thing happening to the staging of The Finale, but Pippin climbed up onto the railing of the on-stage balcony set piece instead of a trapeze, and that was effective enough.

Overall a nice way to experience this staging of the piece one more time.

"I'm seeing the LuPone in Key West later this week. I'm hoping for great vocals and some sort of insane breakdown..." - BenjaminNicholas2
Updated On: 2/28/17 at 10:45 AM

PatrickDC Profile Photo
PatrickDC
#615Pippin Tour?
Posted: 2/28/17 at 12:24pm

Well, that helps me understand the tour schedule that I posted about earlier. One-show stops don't give them enough time to carefully and safely install the rigging needed for a duplicate of the Broadway and Equity tour shows. And no time for the performers to rehearse and test them to ensure a degree of confidence when it's curtain up. 

Jakeevan942
#616Pippin Tour?
Posted: 3/25/17 at 12:45am

I saw the tour tonight in New Jersey, and this is one of the strongest non-equity tours I've seen the past few years. Prather, Apex Touring as they are trying to rebrand themselves, has put out a wonderful recreation of the Broadway revival, on the sets, with the costumes from the Equity Tour.

Stephen Schwartz was sitting a few rows in front of me, enjoying this cast performing his musical.

2 more shows in Jersey, tomorrow at 2 and 8. This is the tour's only New York metro area stop. Lots of good seats still available, stnj.org

trpguyy
#617Pippin Tour?
Posted: 3/25/17 at 7:47am

While we all love a good advertisement now and again, this is not the tour's only stop in the NY metro area. They play Brookville in May. 

Jakeevan942
#618Pippin Tour?
Posted: 3/25/17 at 11:13am

Totally missed that in their tour routing. Sorry.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#619Pippin Tour?
Posted: 3/25/17 at 12:25pm

Was supposed to go to the 2pm show, but had something come up last minute and had to give my ticket away. Maybe the tour will continue into 2018 and I'll get another chance to catch, possibly in Ten Bank or Morristown.

trpguyy
#620Pippin Tour?
Posted: 3/25/17 at 1:21pm

ACL2006 said: "Was supposed to go to the 2pm show, but had something come up last minute and had to give my ticket away. Maybe the tour will continue into 2018 and I'll get another chance to catch, possibly in Ten Bank or Morristown."

Not likely. Last I heard the plan was for the tour to go to Asia after this current leg. 

Jakeevan942
#621Pippin Tour?
Posted: 3/25/17 at 2:00pm

If you want to road trip a bit, the tour is sitting down at Prather's Dutch Apple Theater in Lancaster PA in August/September, and October/November at the Broadway Palm in Fort Meyers FL.

Videos