pixeltracker

2007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders- Page 26

2007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#6252007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders?
Posted: 4/6/07 at 10:45am

Peters didn't lose the Tony because she was sick during previews. He needs to get off that. She missed a few performances for being legitimately ill which apparently he can't get past, and yet, he "forgives" Murphy for missing what he himself admits is 1/3 of her run?

Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson

FosterChild Profile Photo
FosterChild
#6262007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders?
Posted: 4/6/07 at 10:54am

Again, all of this is speculative at best but I will say Bundy is not giving a performance for the ages, far from it and saying she "carries" the show is misleading at best. She has a great deal to do, that's not the same thing as saying she's doing it in a tour de force fashion. Ebersole and to a lesser extent Michele, are giving the types of performances that not just any other actress could step in to and give. I feel pretty safe saying the Elle Woods shoes can be filled with a bevy of actresses we all know and love and many we've yet to see. But I do agree that Block is out of the running.

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#6272007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders?
Posted: 4/6/07 at 11:22am

FosterChild, of course you are right. I don't think anybody in their right mind actually thinks Bundy will give Ebersole a run for her money. Do you all remember who Reidel predicted to win the Tony two years ago...Christina Applegate over Victoria Clark??? Right, we all saw Reidel's tendency REALLY incorrect predictions then, and we still see them now.
-BJH 2007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders?

Becoz_i_knew_you21 Profile Photo
Becoz_i_knew_you21
#6282007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders?
Posted: 4/6/07 at 1:12pm

That article certainly makes me stand by my opinion that Riedel is an ass. Come on, out of all the ladies who are up for this category you say Ms.Bundy as Ebersole's competition? Nothing against Bundy but you think he would say women like Monk,Murphy, and McDonald would be said to be her competition.

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#6292007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders?
Posted: 4/7/07 at 9:38pm

I think all of the other awards (Drama Desk, Outer Critics Circle, et al) that Ebersole is not eligible to be nominated in will go to Bundy.

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#6302007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders?
Posted: 4/7/07 at 11:18pm

Well considering that we haven't seen McDonald or Murphy yet, I'd say it's a bit early to make that prediction.

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)

Becoz_i_knew_you21 Profile Photo
Becoz_i_knew_you21
#6312007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders?
Posted: 4/7/07 at 11:21pm

Donna Murphy is a stage goddess in my opinion. I think Donna and Debra Monk will be getting the awards leading up to the Tony's.

Show Off2
#6322007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders?
Posted: 4/7/07 at 11:48pm

Ebersole has nothing to worry about. I'd love to see a nom for Lea Michele, though.

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#6332007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders?
Posted: 4/7/07 at 11:49pm

HE HONESTLY SAID APPLEGATE WOULD WIN OVER CLARK? What a jerk.

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#6342007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders?
Posted: 4/8/07 at 3:08am

Yah...also, having seen Legally Blonde today, I can safely say that the only way Laura Bell Bundy will get a nomination is if either Donna Murphy completely blows, which I don't see happening, or if the nominating committee realizes that in fact Chenoweth is just an annoying one-trick pony who doesn't deserve another nomination. I would love to see the category as:
Bundy/Block
Ebersole
McDonald
Monk
Murphy

But it's more likely that Cheno will get her nomination over Bundy and Block, even though she is so irritating.

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#6352007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders?
Posted: 4/8/07 at 6:10am

Reidel predicted Applegate b/c of the fact that she was such a trooper after her accident. I don't think she missed a show. Sometimes sentiment can win the day. Fortunately, that year it did not.
Mcdonald and Murphy will both be predictably brilliant I'm sure, but Ebersole's perf is, as someone earlier said, one for the ages.

....but the world goes 'round

bwaygal1 Profile Photo
bwaygal1
#6362007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders?
Posted: 4/8/07 at 9:51am

Yes, Christine Ebersole is amazing. She just commands the stage in both roles. I can't believe that Laura Bell Bundy's performance is being compared to hers. Christine Ebersole's performance has gotten the best reviews I've seen in ages. I've seen shows for 20 years and never have seen anyone as remarkable as she is.
All I can say is she'd better win the Tony. She deserves it.

"A birdcage I plan to hang. I'll get to that someday. A birdcage for a bird who flew away...Around the world." "Life is a cabaret old chum, only a cabaret old chum, and I love a cabaret!"-RIP Natasha Richardson-I was honored to have witnessed her performance as Sally Bowles.

Yankeefan007
#6372007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders?
Posted: 4/8/07 at 9:53am

bjh2114 - agreed, although after the lukewarm reception for Block (and scathing reception for the show), it's pretty safe to count her out, as well.

I'm going back to my original list:
Kristin Chenoweth
Christine Ebersole
Audra McDonald
Debra Monk
Donna Murphy

neddyfrank2
#6382007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders?
Posted: 4/18/07 at 3:31am

I agree with Yankee on this one.

Wanna Be A Foster
#6392007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders?
Posted: 4/18/07 at 11:30am

I'm seeing 110 this week. What do those of you who have seen it think?

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."

D2 Profile Photo
D2
#6402007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders?
Posted: 4/18/07 at 11:33am

Foster:

https://forum.broadwayworld.com/readmessage.cfm?thread=931988#2951487
110 Preview Reviews

Cheyenne Jackson tickled me. AFTER ordering SoMMS a drink but NOT tickling him, and hanging out with Girly in his dressing room (where he DIDN'T tickle her) but BEFORE we got married. To others. And then he tweeted Boobs. He also tweeted he's good friends with some chick on "The Voice" who just happens to be good friends with Tink's ex. And I'm still married. Oh, and this just in: "Pettiness, spite, malice ....Such ugly emotions... So sad." - After Eight, talking about MEEEEEEEE!!! I'm so honored! :-)

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#6412007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders?
Posted: 4/18/07 at 11:36am

Audra is phenomenal in 110. I for one think that she is Ebersole's only real competition. She will most likely take all of the awards leading up to the Tonys since Ebersole is inelligible. Enjoy 110 Foster, it is truly awesome.

Oh and Yankee, after having seen Curtains now I totally agree that Cheno will probably still get a nomination. I would however like to revoke my prediction of Monk getting nominated. I think Bundy will take her spot.

Wanna Be A Foster
#6422007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders?
Posted: 4/18/07 at 11:57am

Thanks, D2. I've already been keeping up with that thread. I was asking for people to weigh in on who they think has the best shot at filling the five nominee slots now that they can factor Audra's performance into the speculation that we've made here.

-Kad

Updated On: 4/18/07 at 11:57 AM

D2 Profile Photo
D2
#6432007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders?
Posted: 4/18/07 at 12:03pm

Oh, sorry, Foster.

Well to restate what I said in my review of 110 - I wouldn't bet that the Tony is definitely going to placed on a decrepit mantle in a decaying mansion. It just well may become someone else's well-deserved 5th (and first in the Lead category.)

Cheyenne Jackson tickled me. AFTER ordering SoMMS a drink but NOT tickling him, and hanging out with Girly in his dressing room (where he DIDN'T tickle her) but BEFORE we got married. To others. And then he tweeted Boobs. He also tweeted he's good friends with some chick on "The Voice" who just happens to be good friends with Tink's ex. And I'm still married. Oh, and this just in: "Pettiness, spite, malice ....Such ugly emotions... So sad." - After Eight, talking about MEEEEEEEE!!! I'm so honored! :-)

willact4food Profile Photo
willact4food
#6442007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders?
Posted: 4/18/07 at 12:38pm

Here are my predictions, in no particular order:

Christine Ebersole
Laura Bell Bundy
Audra McDonald
Lea Michele
Ashley Brown Updated On: 4/18/07 at 12:38 PM

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#6452007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders?
Posted: 4/18/07 at 12:44pm

Lea Michele has NO chance.

Ashley Brown has even LESS of a chance.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

FOAnatic Profile Photo
FOAnatic
#6462007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders?
Posted: 4/18/07 at 12:48pm

Is that list serious?

"I love talking about nothing. It is the only thing I know anything about." - Oscar Wilde

willact4food Profile Photo
willact4food
#6472007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders?
Posted: 4/18/07 at 1:17pm

Ashley Brown gives a wonderful performance night after night, and can sing with the best of them. I do believe she will get a nomination.

Yes, Lea is the oddball out on my list. However, I believe Spring Awakening will win Best Musical and that they will have nominees in Leading Actor and Actress to support the win. Will Lea win? Absolutely not. But will she garner a nomination? I truly believe so.
Updated On: 4/18/07 at 01:17 PM

#6482007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders?
Posted: 4/18/07 at 1:22pm

SPRING AWAKENING is an ensemble piece. Wendla is hardly a leading role. She is the female that is seen the most, but that does not merit a leading nomination. She would have been best placed in the Featured category.

Lea Michele, while wonderful, does not live up to the performances of Laura Bell Bundy, Kristin Chenoweth, Christine Ebersole, Audra McDonald or Donny Murphy.

Groff doesn't have much of a chance at leading actor either.

SPRING will be nominated. But, it's chance at winning had diminished since LEGALLY BLONDE rolled around.

landryjames2
#6492007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders?
Posted: 4/18/07 at 1:32pm

While I thoroughly enjoyed Legally Blonde and thought it was one of the most fun evenings recently in the theater, I don't think Laura Bell Bundy deserves a spot.

I am sure I will get backlash for this, but although Laura was competant, stable, and more than adequate--there was nothing really special about her (much like I thought of Ashley Brown in Mary Poppins). I just kept imagining Kristin Chenoweth or Reese Witherspoon saying the same lines as Bundy and getting much bigger laughs. The audience thoroughly enjoyed the show the night I was there, but there weren't any gigantic rolling on the floor laughs coming from Laura's line deliveries, but more from the other character's reactions to Laura's Elle.

My hopes are:

Christine Ebersole
Kristin Chenoweth
Donna Murphy
Audra McDonald
Debra Monk

Videos