pixeltracker

2019 Drama Desk Nominations- Page 3

2019 Drama Desk Nominations

Mike Barrett  Profile Photo
Mike Barrett
#502019 Drama Desk Nominations
Posted: 4/25/19 at 2:13pm

djoko84 said: "Just so we're clear. Hadestown was not eligible for Best Musical because it had previously been nominated for it in its off-Broadway run. Only new elements of the show were eligible."

Was this the case with The Band's Visit last year as well? Seems odd, of course Ive never seen Hadestown but I cant imagine the show is that different to nominate only those portions of it. 

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#512019 Drama Desk Nominations
Posted: 4/25/19 at 2:13pm

I guess I’ll just never understand the love for this Oklahoma.

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#522019 Drama Desk Nominations
Posted: 4/25/19 at 2:23pm

Mike Barrett said: "djoko84 said: "Just so we're clear. Hadestown was not eligible for Best Musical because it had previously been nominated for it in its off-Broadway run. Only new elements of the show were eligible."

Was this the case with The Band's Visit last year as well? Seems odd, of course Ive never seen Hadestown but I cant imagine the show is that different to nominate only those portions of it.
"

The rule about Broadway transfers being ineligible (except for new elements) has been around, and DID apply to The Band’s Visit.

Hadestown is an unusual case in that about 99% of the production elements are entirely different from the Off-Broadway production. New sets, new lighting, new staging, new choreography, etc. And even in the direction, Chavkin’s overal vision for the show has changed a lot. That’s why those are considered new elements. You say you can’t imagine them being that different from each other, and for most other shows you’d probably be right. But in this case, they really are that different! 

bdn223 Profile Photo
bdn223
#532019 Drama Desk Nominations
Posted: 4/25/19 at 2:24pm

I am amazed that none of Tootsie's supporting actors garnered nominations. I expected at least 2 of Behlmann, Grotelueschen, and Rogers to snag a nomination. 

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#542019 Drama Desk Nominations
Posted: 4/25/19 at 2:28pm

Well, you have to remember, the pool is much larger for these awards (both offf and on B'way)

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Mike Barrett  Profile Photo
Mike Barrett
#552019 Drama Desk Nominations
Posted: 4/25/19 at 2:29pm

JBroadway said: "Mike Barrett said: "djoko84 said: "Just so we're clear. Hadestown was not eligible for Best Musical because it had previously been nominated for it in its off-Broadway run. Only new elements of the show were eligible."

"

The rule about Broadway transfers being ineligible (except for new elements) has been around, and DID apply to The Band’s Visit.

Hadestown is an unusual case in that about 99% of the production elements are entirely different from the Off-Broadway production. New sets, new lighting, new staging, new choreography, etc. And even in the direction, Chavkin’s overal vision for the show has changed a lot. That’s why those are considered new elements. You say you can’t imagine them being that different from each other, and for most other shows you’d probably be right. But in this case, they really are that different!

"

Wow thats incredible they've put that much work into this show. Must be really rewarding to have the final product out there 

magictodo123
#562019 Drama Desk Nominations
Posted: 4/25/19 at 2:33pm

JDonaghy4 said: "JSquared2 said: "JBroadway said: . I thought Hampton Fluker was a standout in All My Sons"

He certainly was. Assuming that if by "standout" you mean it stood out as one of the worst performances to appear on any stage. Ever.

"

This is easily one of the more asinine things I've read on these boards. I thought he was phenomenal, but even if one disagrees, the worst performance ever on a stage? Laughable.

Overall I'm surprised TKAM and All My Sons were so overlooked. Very strange re Hadestown, I assume that Gray and Page simply were ineligible. Still the Oklahoma! love here is strong- 5 acting nominations, and I expect to see something similar next week.

HUGE congrats to Sydney James Harcourt. I didnt see GFNC but he was a fantastic Burr and GW in Hamilton.

"IM SO THRILLED for Sydney James Harcourt!! He sang one of my favorite songs in the show and was just fantastic. 

magictodo123
#572019 Drama Desk Nominations
Posted: 4/25/19 at 2:33pm

Jordan Catalano said: "I guess I’ll just never understand the love for this Oklahoma. "

Sorry to those who love it but—-Jordan, I agree. 

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#582019 Drama Desk Nominations
Posted: 4/25/19 at 3:17pm

Jordan Catalano said: "I guess I’ll just never understand the love for this Oklahoma."

Same

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#592019 Drama Desk Nominations
Posted: 4/25/19 at 3:19pm

dramamama611 said: "Well, you have to remember, the pool is much larger for these awards (both offf and on B'way)"

That may be true, but I still would have given any of those Tootsie performers nominations over Corbin Bleu.

treblemakerz Profile Photo
treblemakerz
#602019 Drama Desk Nominations
Posted: 4/25/19 at 6:35pm

bdn223 said: "The fact that Page and Gray are both in very competitive categories and aren't eligible in any of the precursor awards does not bode well for their Tony chances, akin to to what happened to the supporting cast ofGreat Comet."

This is the only award where they have not been eligible. Amber is nominated for both a Drama League award and an OCC award. Don't see how that doesn't bode well for Tony chances.

victoriafr
#612019 Drama Desk Nominations
Posted: 4/25/19 at 7:47pm

But not only is this the only one where they are ineligible, I just don't see why other awards having them ineligible would at all affect their Tony chances. Why would it?

I think they are both almost locks for Tony nominations (especially considering how Tonys are only Broadway, not Off). I do not think Amber Gray will win, though, with Ali Stroker in the category.

BroadwayBeebe
#622019 Drama Desk Nominations
Posted: 6/2/19 at 7:43pm

Is any platform streaming the awards tonight for those who want to watch? I can't seem to find it this year

Bwayfan12092
#632019 Drama Desk Nominations
Posted: 6/2/19 at 8:04pm

BroadwayBeebe said: "Is any platform streaming the awards tonight for those who want to watch? I can't seem to find it this year"

Ditto. If anyone knows anything please help a fella out!! Thank you!! 

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#642019 Drama Desk Nominations
Posted: 6/2/19 at 8:04pm

I cannot find a live stream, either!

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#652019 Drama Desk Nominations
Posted: 6/2/19 at 8:22pm

There isnt one...the new soonsors said there would be one in 2020.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Videos