pixeltracker

Streisand to produce, direct and star in a new film adaption of GYPSY....- Page 3

Streisand to produce, direct and star in a new film adaption of GYPSY....

#50Streisand to produce, direct and star in a new film adaption of GYPSY....
Posted: 1/5/11 at 10:58am

I hope she wins another Oscar so her fans will finally shut up about the Academy's anti-Barbra bias.

kennygintexas
#51Streisand to produce, direct and star in a new film adaption of GYPSY....
Posted: 1/5/11 at 11:07am

Vocally, I'm all for Streisand as Rose.

Not so sure about Anne hathaway, though. How about an unknown? There are a lot of talented youg women out there.

Midnight Radio
#52Streisand to produce, direct and star in a new film adaption of GYPSY....
Posted: 1/5/11 at 11:13am

Give me Streep or give me death. Streisand to produce, direct and star in a new film adaption of GYPSY....

However... should a film be made, I have always dreamed:
Patti LuPone- Mazeppa
Bernadette Peters- Tessie Tura
Angela Lansbury- Elektra

And perhaps Tyne Daly as Miss Cratchit?

madbrian Profile Photo
madbrian
#53Streisand to produce, direct and star in a new film adaption of GYPSY....
Posted: 1/5/11 at 12:05pm

I can't see Streisand putting former Roses in the cast, but I could see:

Mazeppa - Donna Murphy
Tessie - Cheno
Elektra - Ellen Greene

"It does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are 20 gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket, nor breaks my leg." -- Thomas Jefferson

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#54Streisand to produce, direct and star in a new film adaption of GYPSY....
Posted: 1/5/11 at 12:12pm

I think 'star' casting cameos for a feature film would more likely would be something like:

Electra: Goldie Hawn
Mazeppa: Susan Sarandon
Tessie: Geena Davis

AEA AGMA SM
#55Streisand to produce, direct and star in a new film adaption of GYPSY....
Posted: 1/5/11 at 12:13pm

I have a feeling that should this come to pass that it will be something I listen to more often than I actually watch. I admit that I've never been the biggest Streisand fan (I know, revoke my gay card now), but this role is one I would never truly begrudge her, even if she will be just a year or less shy of 70 should it actually happen (seeing as it is merely talks right now I doubt that filming will be able to commence until at LEAST the end of 2011, but more likely sometime in 2012).

And hopefully she will be able to assemble an unparalleled supporting cast around her. I do hope, however, that she at least takes on a very competent co-director, if not letting somebody else take that position entirely. It definitely is not an easy role to direct yourself in.

I would also love to see Bob Mackey design the costumes again. Those gowns he put Cynthia Gibb in during all of her strip routines in the Midler version were stunning, my favorite being that deep burgundy for the second strip (My mother *bump* who got me into this business *bump, bump*...)

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#56Streisand to produce, direct and star in a new film adaption of GYPSY....
Posted: 1/5/11 at 12:24pm

Cheno as June? She's old enough to be Streisands daughter.

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#57Streisand to produce, direct and star in a new film adaption of GYPSY....
Posted: 1/5/11 at 12:49pm

I think it's an great idea. I would love La Streisand to really knock it out of the park and deliver a performance for the ages.

....but the world goes 'round

Gothampc
#58Streisand to produce, direct and star in a new film adaption of GYPSY....
Posted: 1/5/11 at 12:52pm

"I can't see Streisand putting former Roses in the cast"

Yes, unfortunately she doesn't understand the idea of homage. She should take a lesson from directors putting Chita Rivera in "Chicago" and Loretta Devine in "Dreamgirls". Maybe she should hire Bill Condon as an advisor.

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#59Streisand to produce, direct and star in a new film adaption of GYPSY....
Posted: 1/5/11 at 1:22pm

Well what would really be a nice touch is if she could work in that urn with Ethel Merman's ashes in it somewhere.

madbrian Profile Photo
madbrian
#60Streisand to produce, direct and star in a new film adaption of GYPSY....
Posted: 1/5/11 at 1:41pm

I think the urn could be in the scene with Rose's father, on the mantle by the placque from the railroad.

"It does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are 20 gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket, nor breaks my leg." -- Thomas Jefferson

noradesmond Profile Photo
noradesmond
#61Streisand to produce, direct and star in a new film adaption of GYPSY....
Posted: 1/5/11 at 1:50pm

"I know Streisand wouldn't go for it, but I would like to see:
Angela Lansbury as Elektra
Chita Rivera as Tessie Tura
Elaine Stritch as Mazeppa"

HA! I think I LOVE you.

jimmycurry01
#62Streisand to produce, direct and star in a new film adaption of GYPSY....
Posted: 1/5/11 at 2:02pm

"Actually Tyne wanted to do the tv version, but Bette got to the producers and convinced them to use her instead."

That is certainly not the story told on the DVD commentary. It actually took quite a bit of convincing to get Bette to do a TV movie.

HistoryBoy2 Profile Photo
HistoryBoy2
#63Streisand to produce, direct and star in a new film adaption of GYPSY....
Posted: 1/5/11 at 2:10pm

Or Babs could grab the urn off a nearby table at the start of Rose's Turn and fling fistfuls of Ol' Merm up into the air like confetti.

madbrian Profile Photo
madbrian
#64Streisand to produce, direct and star in a new film adaption of GYPSY....
Posted: 1/5/11 at 2:14pm

"Or Babs could grab the urn off a nearby table at the start of Rose's Turn and fling fistfuls of Ol' Merm up into the air like confetti."

Anyone familiar with LeBron James' pre-game intro routine?

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#65Streisand to produce, direct and star in a new film adaption of GYPSY....
Posted: 1/5/11 at 2:26pm

Here she is, boys!
Here she is, world!
Here's ROSE!

Streisand to produce, direct and star in a new film adaption of GYPSY....

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

TheatreDiva90016 Profile Photo
TheatreDiva90016
#66Streisand to produce, direct and star in a new film adaption of GYPSY....
Posted: 1/5/11 at 2:46pm

Zing!

"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> “I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post.” <<>> -whatever2

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#67Streisand to produce, direct and star in a new film adaption of GYPSY....
Posted: 1/5/11 at 4:06pm

I wish she would let herself be directed in this particular project. Her performance might be (will be) great anyway, but I think the right director could take her to new levels in the role.

There isn't a director alive who could handle that.

landryjames2
#68Streisand to produce, direct and star in a new film adaption of GYPSY....
Posted: 1/5/11 at 4:21pm

Yes. As soon as I posted that, I thought the same thing. Are you going to see Lorna this week? I am tonight.

Anyway, I cannot stop laughing at Goth's post from August on the other Streisand/Gypsy thread. I have to re-post it here:

The problem with Barbra doing Gypsy is that the songlist would go like this:

Overture - Orchestra
May We Entertain You - Barbra & girls
Some People - Barbra
Small World - Barbra
Mr. Goldstone, I Love You - Barbra
Little Lamb - Cut song, Barbra will record for Extras DVD
You'll Never Get Away From Me - Barbra
If Momma Was Married - Girls, then Barbra joins last verse
All I Need Is the Girl - Barbra (sung after June leaves)
Everything's Coming Up Roses - Barbra
Together, Wherever We Go - Barbara, June Herbie
You Gotta Get a Gimmick - Barbra (reconceived as Rose teaching strippers how to get work)
Let Me Entertain You - June, followed by Barbra reprise standing in the wings
Rose's Turn - Barbra
Closing Credits: The Gypsy in My Soul - Barbra

Gothampc
#69Streisand to produce, direct and star in a new film adaption of GYPSY....
Posted: 1/5/11 at 4:27pm

^^^ I wasn't paying attention. All those "June" in Act 2 should be Louise.

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

esparza 333
#70Streisand to produce, direct and star in a new film adaption of GYPSY....
Posted: 1/5/11 at 5:01pm

Laurents has said that Barbra Is not interested in directed. That may work well and I hope she gives the performance of her life. That woman definitely has guts.

Current Avatar:The sensational Aaron Tveit in the soon to be hit production of Catch Me If You Can.

fflagg Profile Photo
fflagg
#71Streisand to produce, direct and star in a new film adaption of GYPSY....
Posted: 1/5/11 at 6:13pm

It would be nice if for once we had an exciting musical film. MAMMA MIA? I don't think so.

If this happens Barbra is smart to "just" act and let others produce and direct. Although who is the right director? Rob Marshall has two bombs in a row.

The cast:

Rose, Barbra
Herbie, Tom Hanks
Louise, Anne Hathaway and Lea Michele are too bland. Natalie Portman has the perfect "look" but is 30 this year.
Pop, Anthony Hopkins
The Strippers, Jennifer Coolidge, Kristin Chenoweth, and Winona Ryder
Tulsa, every gay chorus boy in the United States will audition

Do you know what happens when you let Veal Prince Orloff sit in an oven too long?

esparza 333
#72Streisand to produce, direct and star in a new film adaption of GYPSY....
Posted: 1/5/11 at 8:12pm

fflag I always thought Natalie Portman was perfect for Louise. She could pass for younger and I know she has musical training because I have the same voice teacher she has. Apparently she has wanted to do a musical and after Black Swan I am sure she is being flooded with offers. I think she would be perfect though.

Current Avatar:The sensational Aaron Tveit in the soon to be hit production of Catch Me If You Can.

SondheimFan5 Profile Photo
SondheimFan5
#73Streisand to produce, direct and star in a new film adaption of GYPSY....
Posted: 1/5/11 at 8:31pm

Wasn't Stritch supposed to do the 1974 revival but then it fell thru and they gave it to Angie? I think that was in one of Sondheim's biographys.

TheBatBoy
#74Streisand to produce, direct and star in a new film adaption of GYPSY....
Posted: 1/5/11 at 8:32pm

I couldn't help but laugh at that but it's so true. I love Barbara but I personally would root for Glenn Close as Momma Rose with Natalie Portman as Louise.

With a little mascara...all your dreams come true.

Videos