Posted: 10/19/11 at 7:49pm

and Wayne Newton.

<-----I'M TOTES ROLLING MY EYES

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#51Jennifer Holliday's Up To Her Old Tricks
Posted: 10/19/11 at 8:48pm

She's the Sean Young of Broadway.

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

SporkGoddess
#52Jennifer Holliday's Up To Her Old Tricks
Posted: 10/19/11 at 9:22pm

Hahaha... Jennifer Holliday looks so angry when Jennifer Hudson is singing in that video.

Jimmy, what are you doing here in the middle of the night? It's almost 9 PM!

goldenboy Profile Photo
goldenboy
#53Jennifer Holliday's Up To Her Old Tricks
Posted: 10/22/11 at 1:48pm

I think y'all are being hard on Ms. Holliday.

She spoke honesty of her disappointment. Isn't that far more refreshing than sitting there with a **** eating grin on her face and saying "it's fine.. I wish them well. It's all good."

Yes her facial expressions are very overdone for the tv camera but on Broadway and on a stage that's what made her so real and honest and unique. She gave us a real ghetto black diva who was in pain. She really feels the pathos of rejection in that song and that's what we loved about her.

Should Jennifer Hudson asked for acting tips on the role of Effie White???? Of course not.

She does need to focus on the future and let go of the past as a human being but many of our famous divas of the past have held on and fed on their past success.

So give her a break. And yes she does need a better wig though.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#54Jennifer Holliday's Up To Her Old Tricks
Posted: 10/22/11 at 2:14pm

25 years ago that argument would have made sense. But here we are 30 years after she played the part and she's still bitching and moaning about it. Seriously, GET OVER IT. Just because she never topped that, she honestly believes nobody else should ever play that part. And God forbid they do and they're actually GOOD - well that's the biggest insult to HER personally that they could do. Unless of course she mentors them, then she can say in a way it's still her performance.

She's made a career off of one song and seriously, her "career" and her inability to do anything else is beyond pathetic.

FindingNamo
#55Jennifer Holliday's Up To Her Old Tricks
Posted: 10/22/11 at 2:22pm

I happen to like "No Frills Love."

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

Will42 Profile Photo
Will42
#56Jennifer Holliday's Up To Her Old Tricks
Posted: 10/22/11 at 4:29pm

1. With due all respect the lady is delusional
2. It looked like she has suffered a stroke while performing. I hope, she's alright.
3. And I'm telling you, that wig ain't working for ya!

ontheaisle3
#57Jennifer Holliday's Up To Her Old Tricks
Posted: 10/22/11 at 10:57pm

Very sad.

Sad interview.

Sad performance.

Sad wig.

But, i gotta say, I thought Jennifer Hudson was pretty terrible in the movie version of "Dreamgirls." She sang the song well, but the rest of the performance was sorta dismal.

RainbowJude Profile Photo
RainbowJude
#58Holliday, Hudson and DREAMGIRLS
Posted: 10/23/11 at 1:12am

The writer of the article says that she has still "got it", but in line with others here, I'm not sure I'd be so unequivocal about it. Although there are still things about her performance vocally that work, some of her vocal tics are out of control and, of course, her facial acrobatics tend to be grotesquely amusing.

And - I wonder what we're supposed to assume about her album when on the show where she is promoting it, she performs something from somewhere else instead.

As for the interview, well, sure, she should let go and move on, but this whole "outburst" was spurred on by Wendy Williams. Hell, she got what she wanted for her show and Holliday, it seems, is easily manipulated into shooting off her mouth because of what are, I suppose, very genuine feelings for her.

ontheaisle3 wrote: I thought Jennifer Hudson was pretty terrible in the movie version of DREAMGIRLS. She sang the song well, but the rest of the performance was sorta dismal.

I'm sorry, but Jennifer Hudson was a magnificent Effie.

Musical Cyberspace: a tribute to the musicals of Broadway and beyond.

My Oh My Profile Photo
My Oh My
#59Holliday, Hudson and DREAMGIRLS
Posted: 10/23/11 at 1:35am

I see where she's coming from and sympathize; it's not a pretty place. The hurt feelings dominate every time and it just feels right at the moment of venting, I bet. Not that it suddenly becomes wrong later, but you place yourself at a very vulnerable position when you lose composure at the same time. Next thing you know, you're unintentionally pulling focus away from what you're venting about, and inviting criticism on what people will surely perceive as mere hysterics.

And who cares?

You go girl. XD

Recreation of original John Cameron orchestration to "On My Own" by yours truly. Click player below to hear.

ontheaisle3
#60Holliday, Hudson and DREAMGIRLS
Posted: 10/23/11 at 8:13am

Really, Rainbowjude?

Perhaps you can tell me how/why you think Jennifer Hudson was a magnificent Effie.

With the exception of the big song, JH was wooden/ Quite simply, she can't act.

(Sorry about hijacking the thread, folks.)

Gaveston2
#61Holliday, Hudson and DREAMGIRLS
Posted: 10/23/11 at 2:21pm

In a thread devoted to Jennifer Holliday, Jennifer Hudson is Meryl Streep. Hudson was even pretty good in "Sex and the City," where she didn't sing at all. For someone who has made all of two movies, she's better than quite good.

I've come to really appreciate Holliday as a singer, mostly from her turns singing unusual song choices on "Allie McBeal." (I wish they'd put her "Brand New Fool" on a CD or at least make it available for download.)

But while there was no questioning her star power in the OBC, the play itself tended to stop dead whenever she came on stage. IMO, of course.

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#62Holliday, Hudson and DREAMGIRLS
Posted: 10/23/11 at 2:31pm

Hudson seems to be serious about her acting. She was also quite good in the film adaptation of THE SECRET LIVES OF BEES, and earned the role of Winnie Mandela. Holliday, on the other hand, never seemed to have cared that much about her career as a non-singing actress. She's always been just a singer--first, last, and only.

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body

ontheaisle3
#63Holliday, Hudson and DREAMGIRLS
Posted: 10/23/11 at 4:07pm

Not good in Sex in the city.

Not good in The Secret Life of Bees.

But happy to know that she has a lot of fans cheering her on.

As for Jennifer Holliday, 1981 was a long, long time ago. Sigh.

EvanK Profile Photo
EvanK
#64Holliday, Hudson and DREAMGIRLS
Posted: 10/23/11 at 4:15pm

"Not good in Sex in the city.

Not good in The Secret Life of Bees.

But happy to know that she has a lot of fans cheering her on."

I would like to correct you:

In YOUR opinion, she was not good in The Secret Life of Bees.
In YOUR opinion, she was not good in Sex in the City.

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#65Holliday, Hudson and DREAMGIRLS
Posted: 10/23/11 at 4:26pm

Basically everything stated on this site is an opinion. Art, after all, is naturally subjective.

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body

EvanK Profile Photo
EvanK
#66Holliday, Hudson and DREAMGIRLS
Posted: 10/23/11 at 4:33pm

and thus, people should not pose their opinion as a fact.

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#67Holliday, Hudson and DREAMGIRLS
Posted: 10/23/11 at 4:46pm

In your opinion, that is.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#68Holliday, Hudson and DREAMGIRLS
Posted: 10/23/11 at 4:59pm

If it's my opinion that you are wrong does your opinion on my opinion mean neither of our opinions are right even if one is right and one is wrong and since both are opinions do they cancel each other out leaving only a non truth that is neither true nor false nor opinion or non-opinion as the only actuality?

ontheaisle3
#69Holliday, Hudson and DREAMGIRLS
Posted: 10/23/11 at 5:23pm

Isn't the board a place to express opinion?

As others have said, art is subjective. Just my opinion.

You're obviously a fan, EvanK. Good for you for sticking up for JH.

Updated On: 10/23/11 at 05:23 PM

rorschach37
#70Holliday, Hudson and DREAMGIRLS
Posted: 10/23/11 at 5:52pm

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Ms. Hudson thank Ms. Holliday in her Oscar acceptance speech?

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#71Holliday, Hudson and DREAMGIRLS
Posted: 10/23/11 at 6:02pm

No, she didn't.

YouWantitWhen???? Profile Photo
YouWantitWhen????
#72Holliday, Hudson and DREAMGIRLS
Posted: 10/23/11 at 6:21pm

Yes she did:

"She thanked the film’s director and cast, the Academy, God (twice), and “you all, for helping me to keep the faith.” As she was played off, she yelled into the microphone, “Jennifer Holliday, too!”Thank you and god bless you all. And Jennifer Holliday too!"
Jennifer Hudson's acceptance speech.

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#73Holliday, Hudson and DREAMGIRLS
Posted: 10/23/11 at 6:23pm

Oh, sorry. I just rewatched the speech before I posted and must have missed it.

CurtisTaylorJr2 Profile Photo
CurtisTaylorJr2
#74Holliday, Hudson and DREAMGIRLS
Posted: 10/25/11 at 12:33am

I don't want to judge her too harshly, because I do think she had somewhat of a tough time in the industry after Dreamgirls. It's not wrong to feel left out of something, but you move on and act with some sense.

Holliday's main problem is she believed her own hype, all the accolades went to her head and when it all was over, she got smacked with reality. To an extent, she still buys into her own hype.

There is no reason at all she could not have had a decent career after Dreamgirls, even if it wasn't anything major. Devine, Ralph and Babatunde still get decent gigs today.

Holliday in some ways has really become the character she played, someone with talent who can be their own obstacle.

Videos