pixeltracker

Anyone see Michael C Hall in Hedwig yet?- Page 3

Anyone see Michael C Hall in Hedwig yet?

Jamie Pierce Profile Photo
Jamie Pierce
#50Anyone see Michael C Hall in Hedwig yet?
Posted: 10/17/14 at 3:27pm

Background: Having been a long-time obesessee (is that a word?) of JCM as Hedwig, both on stage and screen, I was VERY skeptical of NPH in the role. It reeked of a combination vanity project vehicle/stunt casting. However, I saw it early in previews, fell head over high heels, and saw the show a subsequent 12 times with Neil (I know). Of course, I went back to see Andrew Rannells. I regret to report that I just didn't buy it. Something about him in the role seemed...incongruent. I can't explain because he's a great performer (although I find his voice a bit grating). I think in the end he lacked the necessary star quality (I know many will disagree) and command of the stage I think is required to play Hedwig. I saw AR's first show and decided to go back for his last, anticipating some growth in the role, which, alas, did not seem to have occurred to the degree I had hoped.
Since I simply could not wait, I also went to MCH's first show. I think this is the best sung Hedwig, although he's better in the the ballads than in the harder rock. He does not move as well (I thought that was NPH's biggest asset: his physicality, fluidity and agility of movement along with a distinctly feminine manner) and agree with the previous post that he walks like a man in heels, but he does look quite stunning in drag (I also found that AR came across rather matronly as a woman). I was surprised to find that his interpretation lacked the darkness I had expected, although his breakdown was incredibly intense. There are many kinks to be worked out (mic cord in particular) but I look forward eagerly to revisiting this show with MCH.

Updated On: 10/17/14 at 03:27 PM

getatme
#51Anyone see Michael C Hall in Hedwig yet?
Posted: 10/17/14 at 4:07pm

J52, FWIW, I agree with you entirely on Rannells.

I was very unfamiliar with the show when I went to see Neil, I was blown away by his performance. He inhabited it so fully and my mind was just blown by his performance. I was excited to see Andrew because I adore him as a performer, but he just didn't work for me. His voice sounded nasal and off most of the time and his acting just didn't impress me like I thought it would. Needless to say, I was incredibly disappointed. When Michael was announced, I was interested because I thought it was a pretty unexpected choice, nothing about him as an actor seems to scream Hedwig to me. But last night I was just as blown away by him as I was by Neil when I saw him.

He'll only get better, but if that's how wonderful he was his first show, I can't even imagine where he'll be by January.

rjm516
#52Anyone see Michael C Hall in Hedwig yet?
Posted: 10/17/14 at 4:25pm

Oh man I want to see him so badly but I don't think I can make it to the states before Jan 4. Ugh i hope it sells out so it extends.

Little Regina
#53Anyone see Michael C Hall in Hedwig yet?
Posted: 10/17/14 at 4:44pm

What was the stage door like? Total madness?

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#54Anyone see Michael C Hall in Hedwig yet?
Posted: 10/17/14 at 4:49pm

I would say so. https://twitter.com/Nastassia_MS/status/523151487531499520

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#55Anyone see Michael C Hall in Hedwig yet?
Posted: 10/17/14 at 6:25pm

How awful.

South Florida Profile Photo
South Florida
#56Anyone see Michael C Hall in Hedwig yet?
Posted: 10/18/14 at 7:19am

I really hate that, wait I think I see my wife.

Stephanatic

#57Anyone see Michael C Hall in Hedwig yet?
Posted: 10/18/14 at 10:08am

SO is the whole roster from the last Cabaret Revival going to be in Hedwig now?

Who's next? Adam Pascal?

Jamie Pierce
#58Anyone see Michael C Hall in Hedwig yet?
Posted: 10/18/14 at 10:50am

I would not be surprised if Alan Cumming is up next. I'm still holding out hope for Cheyenne Jackson.

steven22 Profile Photo
steven22
#59Anyone see Michael C Hall in Hedwig yet?
Posted: 10/18/14 at 10:55am

I really would like to stop by the stagedoor after I see the show Sunday night- but I really rather not deal with insane crowds....Does anyone think the stagedoor will be a mess Sunday night too?

Broadway Bob* Profile Photo
Broadway Bob*
#60Anyone see Michael C Hall in Hedwig yet?
Posted: 10/18/14 at 11:17am

I would love to see Raul Esparza in this! He would be epic!!!

<-- Tevye, FIDDLER ON THE ROOF, March 2018

Sutton Ross
#61Anyone see Michael C Hall in Hedwig yet?
Posted: 10/18/14 at 12:32pm

"I would not be surprised if Alan Cumming is up next."

Alan Cumming is doing Cabaret until March 29, 2015. Since Michael leaves in January, that won't work.

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#62Anyone see Michael C Hall in Hedwig yet?
Posted: 10/18/14 at 2:01pm

I kind of doubt Raul Esparza would get picked up except as a fill-in. In the last production, Hedwig was a character actor's role, one that didn't run on star power, that in fact avoided it, but ran on Hedwig as a person, an entity.

In this run, Hedwig has become an event role. Not stunt casting like Chicago, per se, but a show running on star casting, sort of like How to Succeed did a few years ago.

JPeterman Profile Photo
JPeterman
#63Anyone see Michael C Hall in Hedwig yet?
Posted: 10/18/14 at 2:40pm

I'm looking at tickets on telecharge ...... is the front row center or front row side too close? Is it a high stage? I like to sit as close as possible unless the stage is really high.

Does anyone know if MCH is going into the audience on the same side that NPH did, on the left? Or is he doing something differently? Thanks

Sutton Ross
#64Anyone see Michael C Hall in Hedwig yet?
Posted: 10/18/14 at 2:45pm

The very front row is way too close, the stage is high, and those people were looking straight up the entire time. I sat in the second row, and was still slightly cramped by the end of the evening.

JPeterman Profile Photo
JPeterman
#65Anyone see Michael C Hall in Hedwig yet?
Posted: 10/18/14 at 2:58pm

Thank you, there are a bunch of seats available for my dates in the front row ... oh well

Sutton Ross
#66Anyone see Michael C Hall in Hedwig yet?
Posted: 10/18/14 at 3:17pm

Yeah, there is a reason for that :) But, if you are committed to looking straight up, seeing Michael that close is probably cool. Second row was close enough for me.

Jamie Pierce
#67Anyone see Michael C Hall in Hedwig yet?
Posted: 10/18/14 at 8:17pm

"I kind of doubt Raul Esparza would get picked up except as a fill-in ... In this run, Hedwig has become an event role. Not stunt casting like Chicago, per se, but a show running on star casting, sort of like How to Succeed did a few years ago"

More so than the Off-Broadway production for sure (no surprise considering the disparity between the 2 entities, time, economics, etc) but I wouldn't necessarily say that Andrew Rannells is an example of star casting. I would put Raul Esparza on the same level as him (Tony nominee, current TV show). Or do you consider Rannells more like a fill-in?

Updated On: 10/18/14 at 08:17 PM

VotePeron Profile Photo
VotePeron
#68Anyone see Michael C Hall in Hedwig yet?
Posted: 10/19/14 at 12:22am

Hall was on fire tonight. While I felt Rannells sang the part the best, Hall really embodies the soul of Hedwig through his acting, improv, and overall presence. My problem with NPH, while practically flawless in the role, he seemed to be playing at the character sometimes, not with it.
MCH definitely has a different perspective on the role, and plays it almost darker than his predecessors. The best way I can describe it, is when MCH says, "I laugh, because I will cry if I dont," it seems like he truly wants to cry. With NPH and AR, I felt that they were more on the laughing side.
MCH's additional improvs were hilarious. There were definitely some lines in the show tonight that I've never heard before. The only thing that really fell flat for me were the 3 "box people" sides. He just didn't play it off that well. He never really reacted. But, it was his 4th show to the public, so I completely understand that he's getting his footing. He is in great freaking shape for this early in a run. He is going to flourish in this part.

Lena Hall is still kicking ass.

darreyl102 Profile Photo
darreyl102
#69Anyone see Michael C Hall in Hedwig yet?
Posted: 10/19/14 at 6:41am

If you can get front row center- you may get a lip lock with Hedwig. The view was great when i set there, though i have to admit NPH was scary that close in your face with that makeup. LOL

Darreyl with an L!

JPeterman Profile Photo
JPeterman
#70Anyone see Michael C Hall in Hedwig yet?
Posted: 10/19/14 at 12:43pm

darreyl02, the front row wasn't too close for you? If not, that's great. I am hesitant to buy seats in the front row with Sutton Ross' comments and my experiences with other shows at the Belasco in the past. But there are not a lot of other good seats available for the shows I am able to attend.

Which would be better, in anyone's opinion, front row center or the 2 front row seats on the side, which are set slightly further back from the stage?

Sutton Ross
#71Anyone see Michael C Hall in Hedwig yet?
Posted: 10/19/14 at 1:06pm

I'd still say go back a little, I've attended twice and it's not like the stage has changed height. It's a great set, with a great cast, and the first row is just way too close to take that all in. I understand seats are limited but that's just my opinion. Have a great time, Michael is A MAH ZING!

darreyl102 Profile Photo
darreyl102
#72Anyone see Michael C Hall in Hedwig yet?
Posted: 10/19/14 at 1:59pm

@JPeterman - Front row was just fine for me- but it might depend on how tall you are. The set is simple and dosn't really change much. Most of the action takes place center stage. I would avoid alot of the extreme sides because they can be obstructed by the set on the sides. It's also a little easier on your ears. The sides put you in front of the speakers- which are LOUD. lol

Darreyl with an L!

JPeterman Profile Photo
JPeterman
#73Anyone see Michael C Hall in Hedwig yet?
Posted: 10/19/14 at 2:45pm

Ok thanks, I will nix the front row side seats. The speakers sound like they would be a problem!

Updated On: 10/21/14 at 02:45 PM

lissie23
#74Anyone see Michael C Hall in Hedwig yet?
Posted: 10/19/14 at 3:15pm

Any feedback on how Hall played off of Lena? What was his Hedwig like with Yitzhak?? :)

Videos