News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

STRANGER THINGS: THE FIRST SHADOW Play - News & Discussion Thread- Page 3

STRANGER THINGS: THE FIRST SHADOW Play - News & Discussion Thread

BoringBoredBoard40
#50STRANGER THINGS: THE FIRST SHADOW Play - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/17/23 at 4:35pm

ATG also is essentially programming the Jujamcyn houses now, depending on where the grosses are I could see this at the Kerr or the Hudson 

Dylan Smith4 Profile Photo
Dylan Smith4
#51STRANGER THINGS: THE FIRST SHADOW Play - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/17/23 at 5:00pm

Any reports from tonight? They have to be halfway through by now. 

The idea is to work and to experiment. Some things will be creatively successful, some things will succeed at the box office, and some things will only - which is the biggest only - teach you things that see the future. And they're probably as valuable as any of your successes. -Harold Prince

Dylan Smith4
#52STRANGER THINGS: THE FIRST SHADOW Play - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/17/23 at 9:54pm

BoringBoredBoard40 said: "ATG also is essentially programming the Jujamcyn houses now, depending on where the grosses are I could see this at the Kerr or the Hudson"

After hearing from one of my friends who saw it tonight, this needs to go in a large theatre on Broadway!

The idea is to work and to experiment. Some things will be creatively successful, some things will succeed at the box office, and some things will only - which is the biggest only - teach you things that see the future. And they're probably as valuable as any of your successes. -Harold Prince

theatrefan2023
#53STRANGER THINGS: THE FIRST SHADOW Play - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/18/23 at 1:13pm

For a first preview they’ve done a phenomenal job. Not a technical hitch in sight with some amazing magical moments. But there is a flaw. You need to be a fan of the TV series to ultimately appreciate and understand the show. For the uninitiated - the plot isn’t enough as a standalone story. For the fan - it’s a faithful prequel to the TV series that will no doubt have them grinning from ear to ear as the back story of Stranger Things unfolds before their very eyes. However - no matter in which group you find yourself, both are going to leave the theatre somewhat unfulfilled … wishing for a much needed climax which sadly doesn’t materialize.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#54STRANGER THINGS: THE FIRST SHADOW Play - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/7/23 at 6:25pm

Just getting back from tonight's show. I'm reminded of leaving "Harry Potter" for the first time and just in awe of what they were able to do on the stage. This will obviously come to Broadway (I'd guess) fairly soon as to not have too much spoiled for people. It's funny, I had an idea in my head of what the ending would be and it's pretty much EXACTLY as I imagined which made me happy. Guy near me said it was like watching a magic show, as he had no idea how in the hell much of what they did was accomplished. But as a real die-hard fan of the show I'm just on cloud 9 tonight. That was amazing. 

LuckyDipster Profile Photo
LuckyDipster
#55STRANGER THINGS: THE FIRST SHADOW Play - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/8/23 at 5:51pm

As a lot of the comments I'm seeing about this show have been focusing on the effects, I'm wondering how it compares to Back To The Future in that regard.

KevinKlawitter
#56STRANGER THINGS: THE FIRST SHADOW Play - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/14/23 at 12:50pm

Deadline reports this is meant to be the first play of a trilogy

The article also says that a Broadway transfer is indeed being considered, but the producers are waiting to hear what critics have to say about the London show before anything concrete will be put in place.

TotallyEffed Profile Photo
TotallyEffed
#57STRANGER THINGS: THE FIRST SHADOW Play - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/14/23 at 12:58pm

This is starting to sound a bit overly ambitious.

Reminds me of the Fantastic Beasts nightmare.

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#58STRANGER THINGS: THE FIRST SHADOW Play - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/14/23 at 1:03pm

They don’t have to wait for critics. Audiences will flock and this will be a big, big hit in NY. 

Oh look, a bibu!

KevinKlawitter
#59STRANGER THINGS: THE FIRST SHADOW Play - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/14/23 at 2:38pm

TotallyEffed said: "This is starting to sound a bit overly ambitious.

Reminds me of the Fantastic Beasts nightmare.
"

I'm curious how the producers are planning on making it work on a practical and pragmatic level. Will the second play simply replace The First Shadow, or do they plan to have both (or even all three) shows running simultaneously? There's only so much real estate, and these don't look like cheap productions. Will the subsequent shows have standalone elements, or will it be made assuming the audience has seen the previous play(s)? Do they intend to film the productions and place them on Netflix?

So many question marks.

OhHiii
#60STRANGER THINGS: THE FIRST SHADOW Play - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/14/23 at 2:43pm

KevinKlawitter said: "I'm curious how the producers are planning on making it work on a practical and pragmatic level. Will the second play simply replaceThe First Shadow, or do they plan to have both (or even all three) shows running simultaneously? There's only so much real estate, and these don't look like cheap productions. Will the subsequent shows have standalone elements, or will it be made assuming the audience has seen the previous play(s)? Do they intend to film the productions and place them on Netflix?"

If they have all 3 running in rep, then Sonia Friedman learned absolutely nothing from Harry Potter which struggled with the 2 part structure on Broadway so much so that they reopened with a 1 part version. Which leads me to believe, there will be runs of each for a determined amount of time. But if you miss one of the first 2, then what? (Answer: Netflix is filming these 100000000000%).

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#61STRANGER THINGS: THE FIRST SHADOW Play - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/14/23 at 5:17pm

The article says the subsequent plays will come in 2-3 year intervals and that’s all- which means the third play wouldn’t be seen until nearly the end of the decade (if it indeed happens at all). We simply don’t have enough information to go on to surmise yet how it’ll be handled. 

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#62STRANGER THINGS: THE FIRST SHADOW Play - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/14/23 at 5:31pm

I imagine this trilogy is just the start of what will probably be a successful theatrical venture for Netflix, and more of their original series will be adapted for the stage. 

I'd love to see a Money Heist play. 

Oh look, a bibu!
Updated On: 12/14/23 at 05:31 PM

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#63STRANGER THINGS: THE FIRST SHADOW Play - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/14/23 at 5:35pm

Personally, between this and Cursed Child, along with things like Life of Pi, I’m curious to see if we’ll start to enter a period of large, spectacle driven plays on Broadway after decades in which plays have historically been getting smaller in size. 

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

Dylan Smith4
#64STRANGER THINGS: THE FIRST SHADOW Play - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/14/23 at 7:08pm

Here are a couple of reviews so far...

The Guardian - ★★★★★ - "Breathtaking Theatre"

Independent - ★★★★ - "Netflix explodes into the West End with thrills galore"

New York Times - "Onstage, the ‘Stranger Things’ Franchise Eats Itself"

BBC - ★★★★ - "The theatrical spin-off from the Netflix mega-hit is funny and thrilling"

Variety - "West End Play Brings Netflix Series Thrillingly to Life"

Updated On: 12/14/23 at 07:08 PM

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#65STRANGER THINGS: THE FIRST SHADOW Play - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/14/23 at 7:36pm

I've never seen the show but I love a big production, so I think I'm going to add this to my London trip. And looks like there is a Friday matinee. 

TotallyEffed Profile Photo
TotallyEffed
#66STRANGER THINGS: THE FIRST SHADOW Play - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/14/23 at 8:21pm

RippedMan said: "I've never seen the show but I love a big production, so I think I'm going to add this to my London trip. And looks like there is a Friday matinee."

Binge the show before!

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#67STRANGER THINGS: THE FIRST SHADOW Play - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/14/23 at 8:51pm

But it says it’s a prequel? So shouldn’t I watch it after?

BroadwayNYC2 Profile Photo
BroadwayNYC2
#68STRANGER THINGS: THE FIRST SHADOW Play - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/15/23 at 9:36am

Prequels are meant to be watched after the original, otherwise we’d have to go back in time. 

MrsSallyAdams Profile Photo
MrsSallyAdams
#69STRANGER THINGS: THE FIRST SHADOW Play - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/15/23 at 10:26am

New York Times. Houman Barekat.
"It’s a gaudy, vertiginous fairground ride of a play, exactly what you’d expect from a show co-produced by Netflix: Cheap thrills, expensively made.... Haven’t television and cinema already got these bases covered? Is this what theater is for?"

threepanelmusicals.blogspot.com
Updated On: 12/15/23 at 10:26 AM

MrsSallyAdams
#70STRANGER THINGS: THE FIRST SHADOW Play - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/15/23 at 10:33am

Mickey Jo Theatre: 
"I found this to be a little bit disappointing... It was a little bit inconsequential. A lot of the cleverness of the series wasn't really reflected in the writing of the play."

(Full review contains spoilers) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMCEmNUl7f4

MrsSallyAdams
#71STRANGER THINGS: THE FIRST SHADOW Play - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/15/23 at 10:45am

Johnny Oleksinski, New York Post
"Louis McCartney... who’s making his professional stage debut, is tortured, terrifying, and mesmeric as the future all-powerful villain. He unnaturally contorts his body as if he’s being exorcized by Father Karras, is emotionally gripping, and makes an unshakable impression on his audience. A new star. McCartney deserves a far, far better first play than the abysmal “First Shadow.”"

Updated On: 12/15/23 at 10:45 AM

verywellthensigh
#72STRANGER THINGS: THE FIRST SHADOW Play - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/15/23 at 11:41am

But audiences are getting their steady diets of the overly familiar and, more importantly, they can SEE THE MONEY BEING SPENT.  And that's satisfying!

I smell a (s)hit!

lopside
#73STRANGER THINGS: THE FIRST SHADOW Play - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/15/23 at 12:10pm

I have no interest in seeing this, but critics who go about claiming that this is "not what theater is for" rub me the wrong way.  Like there can't be space within theater for some mindless entertainment with impressive technical detailing. It's a medium, so it should accomodate all manner of taste, subject, styles, intentions. As long as variety persists on stage, I see no reason why this shouldn't exist. 

Videos