sheridan said: "Next to Normal

South Pacific

Rent

In the Heights

Les Miz

Come From Away

Beautiful
"

I saw In the Heights in the 90's and that was a really great show!

Dreamboy3
#51What is the BEST Show You Have Seen on Broadway
Posted: 5/29/24 at 8:38am

Best Musicals: A Chorus Line, Dreamgirls, Next to Normal

Best Solo Show: Twilight Los Angeles (Anna Deveare Smith)

Best Play: The Ferryman (in London) is the first that comes to mind

Best Revival (play): The Glass  Menagerie (Cherry Jones) and Who’s Afraid of Virginia Wolf ((Letts/Morton)

Best Revival Musical: South Pacific at LCT, every revival of Gypsy (other than the production with Bernadette), Hello Dolly with Bette (but not Murphy) and Pippin

And the following shows from the 1970s which I loved as a young child and because they developed my love for theater going (and I realize the first few these aren’t particularly good): Shenandoah, Peter Pan, The Magic Show, The King and I 

RubyLee
#52What is the BEST Show You Have Seen on Broadway
Posted: 5/29/24 at 8:51am

A Chorus Line (original)

The Producers

Ragtime (original)

South Pacific (LCT)

Carousel (LCT)

Phantom4ever
#53What is the BEST Show You Have Seen on Broadway
Posted: 5/29/24 at 9:04am

The Phantom of the Opera, which I saw on Broadway 90 times between 1998 and 2023. The original New York Times review, which features my favorite quote about the show and perfectly summarizes the magic of the show: "the show's most persuasive love story is Mr. Prince's and Ms. Bjornson's unabashed crush on the theater itself, from footlights to dressing rooms, from flies to trap doors."  Yes, Phantom is the theatrical show I have ever seen, and I never got tired of seeing those curtains going up and coming down, and the way Prince used dark corners of the stage to signify danger. I do love the music too, as uncool as that may be in the world of theater nerds. 

hearthemsing22
#54What is the BEST Show You Have Seen on Broadway
Posted: 5/29/24 at 9:53am

When I left the Hudson after seeing Merrily a few months ago, I could not stop thinking about how much I love it and how, as someone else on these boards mentioned, the current cast and production is like lightning in a bottle. Brilliant work all around, from direction to the lead trio. 

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#55What is the BEST Show You Have Seen on Broadway
Posted: 5/29/24 at 3:12pm

Phantom4ever said: "The Phantom of the Opera, which I saw on Broadway 90 times between 1998 and 2023. The original New York Times review, which features my favorite quote about the show and perfectly summarizes the magic of the show: "the show's most persuasive love story is Mr. Prince's and Ms. Bjornson's unabashed crush on the theater itself, from footlights to dressing rooms, from flies to trap doors." Yes, Phantom is the theatrical show I have ever seen, and I never got tired of seeing those curtains going up and coming down, and the way Prince used dark corners of the stage to signify danger. I do love the music too, as uncool as that may be in the world of theater nerds."

It was perfection.

==> this board is a nest of vipers <==

"Michael Riedel...The Perez Hilton of the New York Theatre scene"
- Craig Hepworth, What's On Stage

justoldbill Profile Photo
justoldbill
#56What is the BEST Show You Have Seen on Broadway
Posted: 6/6/24 at 3:03pm

FOLLIES - closing night at the Winter Garden, 1972.

Well-well-well-what-do-you-think-of-that-I-have-nothing-here-to-pay-my-train-fare-with-only-large-bills-fives-and-sevens....

Shubert Alley Cat Profile Photo
Shubert Alley Cat
#57What is the BEST Show You Have Seen on Broadway
Posted: 6/6/24 at 10:21pm

ManOfLaMuncha said: "sheridan said: "Next to Normal

South Pacific

Rent

In the Heights

Les Miz

Come From Away

Beautiful
"

I saw In the Heights in the 90's and that was a really great show!
"

You must have seen a pretty early preview because IN THE HEIGHTS premiered on Broadway in the 2007-08 season.

Updated On: 6/7/24 at 10:21 PM

VernonGersch Profile Photo
VernonGersch
#58What is the BEST Show You Have Seen on Broadway
Posted: 6/7/24 at 12:00am

Top of mind

August: Osage County 

The Color Purple (revival) 

Stereophonic

Constellations 

The Inheritance 

The Leman Trilogy

Hello Dolly (with Bette)

South Pacific (LCT)

Company (revival)

Into The Woods

Idiot Profile Photo
Idiot
#59What is the BEST Show You Have Seen on Broadway
Posted: 6/7/24 at 2:16am

Since I'm not counting videos of original productions (if so, it would be Sweeney), I'd have to say the best musical I've seen live would have to be either Les Miserables (original) or Tommy (original).

The best play isn't even close:  THE GOAT is, for me, aptly titled. 

sinister teashop Profile Photo
sinister teashop
#60What is the BEST Show You Have Seen on Broadway
Posted: 6/7/24 at 5:37pm

For plays, quite a few of them were directed by Gerald Guitierez. I remember his high style with a razor's edge to it and his work with some remarkable actors. He seemed to thrive on those big Broadway and LIncoln Center stages. He tended towards grand theatrical visions of the plays but he also had the directorial precision both in the design and his direction of actors to pull it all off. 

Updated On: 6/7/24 at 05:37 PM

topcateast
#61What is the BEST Show You Have Seen on Broadway
Posted: 6/7/24 at 10:28pm

Twelfth Night (2013). Shakespeare’s Globe production, all male cast, with Mark Rylance in the part of Olivia. Hands down the greatest production I’ve ever seen on any stage. I had seats on stage at the Belasco. Unforgettable.

Latest Posts

Videos