pixeltracker

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 6/23/24- Page 3

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 6/23/24

BJR Profile Photo
BJR
#50Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 6/23/24
Posted: 6/26/24 at 8:21am

RUkiddingme said: "Tommy, like Spamalot earlier this season and Dancing last season never had a chance.

Neither shows needed a revival. And with out stars?

What were the producers thinking?
"

Exactly. That's the state of things right now: new shows don't need stars, revivals do.

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#51Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 6/23/24
Posted: 6/26/24 at 8:33am

Every show needs a megastar now, both new productions and revivals. 

Oh look, a bibu!

Dylan Smith4 Profile Photo
Dylan Smith4
#52Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 6/23/24
Posted: 6/26/24 at 9:52am

Broadway Flash said: "The great Gatsby’s goin strong. They’ll be on broadway for years, the other Gatsby doesn’t stand a chance. Suckers"

You seriously know how to make a person laugh with your childish antics! 

The idea is to work and to experiment. Some things will be creatively successful, some things will succeed at the box office, and some things will only - which is the biggest only - teach you things that see the future. And they're probably as valuable as any of your successes. -Harold Prince

hearthemsing22
#53Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 6/23/24
Posted: 6/26/24 at 10:02am

Broadway Flash said: "The great Gatsby’s goin strong. They’ll be on broadway for years, the other Gatsby doesn’t stand a chance. Suckers"

What do you have against the other Gatsby?? Have you seen it and did it insult you??

gibsons2
#54Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 6/23/24
Posted: 6/26/24 at 10:18am

EDSOSLO858 said: "Every show needs a megastar now, both new productions and revivals."

Stereophonics, The Outsiders, HK, MJ would like a word. 

Broadway Flash Profile Photo
Broadway Flash
#55Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 6/23/24
Posted: 6/26/24 at 10:49am

I haven’t seen the other Gatsby but I don’t like how artsy fartsy it is and the whole thing is just dripping in elitism 

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#56Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 6/23/24
Posted: 6/26/24 at 10:55am

gibsons2 said: "EDSOSLO858 said: "Every show needs a megastar now, both new productions and revivals."

"

To be fair the Outsiders, HK, and MJ are all well known IP.

FANtomFollies Profile Photo
FANtomFollies
#57Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 6/23/24
Posted: 6/26/24 at 10:59am

Wick3 said: "gibsons2 said: "EDSOSLO858 said: "Every show needs a megastar now, both new productions and revivals."

"

"

In recent years I would add Suffs, Kimberly Akimbo and Six. Those had no megastars and were unknown IP's.

hearthemsing22
#58Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 6/23/24
Posted: 6/26/24 at 11:37am

FANtomFollies said: "Wick3 said: "gibsons2 said: "EDSOSLO858 said: "Every show needs a megastar now, both new productions and revivals."

"

"

In recent years I would add Suffs, Kimberly Akimbo and Six. Those had no megastars and were unknown IP's.
"

I love how someone on another thread claimed Six stuntcast and I'm like...who was stunt cast? Yet they never responded .Psh 

hearthemsing22
#59Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 6/23/24
Posted: 6/26/24 at 11:42am

Broadway Flash said: "I haven’t seen the other Gatsby but I don’t like how artsy fartsy it is and the whole thing is just dripping in elitism"

Why is it okay to judge a show you haven't even seen and say one production is better than the other? 

gibsons2
#60Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 6/23/24
Posted: 6/26/24 at 11:55am

Wick3 said: "gibsons2 said: "EDSOSLO858 said: "Every show needs a megastar now, both new productions and revivals."

"

"

Absolutely. But there are so many musicals based on well known IP failed miserably in the recent years or barely survived, especially jukebox musicals. Most of them are fluffy and tad cringey to me, but yet some of them become sensational financial success with zero big names. Go figure.

Broadway Flash
#61Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 6/23/24
Posted: 6/26/24 at 11:56am

Because I don’t like the people working on the other one 

Fosse76
#62Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 6/23/24
Posted: 6/26/24 at 12:35pm

The Notebook's producers had a company meeting early last week to assure the company the show isn't closing (which, in my experience, usually means the numbers aren't great and closing is on the horizon). They are planning an ad blitz. Attendance this week looks pretty good, but that doesn't necessarily mean more money. Take Me Out's limited run was basically saved by an ad campaign, though they had two celebrities with enough appeal to get them to the finish line of their limited run. The Notebook has nobody of note that will appeal to ticketbuyers. So, like many others, I don't expect it to last past Labor Day.

Dylan Smith4
#63Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 6/23/24
Posted: 6/26/24 at 12:39pm

Broadway Flash said: "I haven’t seen the other Gatsby but I don’t like how artsy fartsy it is and the whole thing is just dripping in elitism"

It’s COMPLETELY FOOLISH of you to judge a show that you HAVE NOT SEEN! How about you get your butt on a train and go up to Boston and see it before making judgements like this! 

The idea is to work and to experiment. Some things will be creatively successful, some things will succeed at the box office, and some things will only - which is the biggest only - teach you things that see the future. And they're probably as valuable as any of your successes. -Harold Prince

Dylan Smith4
#64Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 6/23/24
Posted: 6/26/24 at 12:40pm

Broadway Flash said: "Because I don’t like the people working on the other one"

Oh for gods sake, GO AWAY!

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#65Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 6/23/24
Posted: 6/26/24 at 12:49pm

FANtomFollies said: "Wick3 said: "gibsons2 said: "EDSOSLO858 said: "Every show needs a megastar now, both new productions and revivals."

"

"

"

Just to put things into perspective, KIMBERLY's all-time top week was still lower than TOMMY's lowest-grossing 8-show week. It never did remarkable business, but David Stone was willing to pour money into it and the Shuberts were willing to stay in his good graces. It's a freaking miracle that that show lasted as long as it did and burned as much money as it did.

It's also a little early to say if SUFFS, OUTSIDERS, GATSBY, and HK will turn out to be hits, but they've started strongly (some better than others).

As far as IP goes, OUTSIDERS probably means less than something like GROUNDHOG DAY or TOOTSIE or LITTLE WOMEN or NOTEBOOK, yet it is selling better because it is done in an interesting way, is building strong WOM, and is winning awards.

Updated On: 6/26/24 at 12:49 PM

Broadway Flash
#66Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 6/23/24
Posted: 6/26/24 at 1:36pm

And ANGELINA JOLIE

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#67Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 6/23/24
Posted: 6/26/24 at 1:49pm

When I was in 7th grade, The Outsiders was mandatory reading in my school in NJ. Not sure if that book is still mandatory reading for the rest of USA but from talking to friends, we all read it back in school. That alone increases its IP recognition.

Videos