pixeltracker

Dirty Rotten Scoundrels Reviews- Page 3

Dirty Rotten Scoundrels Reviews

MargoChanning
#50re: Dirty Rotten Scoundrels Reviews
Posted: 3/3/05 at 11:52pm

USA TODAY is Mixed (**1/2 stars):

"What the show lacks, for all its drollness, is a set of characters or situations worth caring about. As much of current pop culture proves, it's easier and more instantly gratifying to mock hollowness than to challenge it. The problem with relentless sarcasm, though, is that it tends to make any emotional engagement suspect. When John Lithgow, playing the confirmed cad Lawrence Jameson, confesses his growing feelings for a young woman in the affecting ballad Love Sneaks In, what should be a tender moment seems incongruously sentimental.

Thanks to O'Brien and his cast, Scoundrels maintains a high entertainment quotient. In addition to Lithgow, who lends his usual effortless panache, it includes Norbert Leo Butz, turning in a game, giddy performance as Freddy Benson, the younger and rawer of the scoundrels.

Sherie Rene Scott has less to work with as the seemingly guileless blonde whom Freddy and Lawrence vie for, but she contributes a sweet presence and a tangy voice. And the always excellent Joanna Gleason sails through the part of a desperately determined divorcee.

But in the end, like its title characters, Scoundrels is apt to leave you feeling titillated but somehow cheated."
http://www.usatoday.com/life/theater/reviews/2005-03-03-dirty-rotten-scoundrels_x.htm

"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney

MargoChanning
#51re: Dirty Rotten Scoundrels Reviews
Posted: 3/4/05 at 12:02am

Kissel in the Daily News is Mixed:

"The talent involved in "Dirty Rotten Scoundrels" is, as young people say, awesome, but I'm afraid it doesn't quite pay off."

"There's nothing dramatic about the way it develops. There's never a moment when you sense there's something going on beneath the seductive surface. It's all on a single level.

Ultimately, you never believe Lithgow and Butz are anything but extravagant song-and-dance men. Given the state of musicals today, that's quite a lot. But an hour later, I'm afraid, you're hungry again."

http://www.nydailynews.com/03-04-2005/entertainment/col/story/286553p-245252c.html

"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney

Thesbijean
#52re: Dirty Rotten Scoundrels Reviews
Posted: 3/4/05 at 12:04am

I would not call Broadway.com's a rave, I would say it is mostly positive.

MusicMan
#53re: Dirty Rotten Scoundrels Reviews
Posted: 3/4/05 at 12:27am

Well, pace Brantley, but Butz doesn't quite pull it off either and the crass physicality of the performance is at times downright embarassing.

BlueWizard Profile Photo
BlueWizard
#54re: Dirty Rotten Scoundrels Reviews
Posted: 3/4/05 at 12:30am

("If music be the food of love, he ate my smorgasbord," sings Ms. Gleason, whose delivery throughout is so deadpan as to verge on posthumous.)"

Is this a compliment or an insult?

BlueWizard's blog: The Rambling Corner HEDWIG: "The road is my home. In reflecting upon the people whom I have come upon in my travels, I cannot help but think of the people who have come upon me."

#55re: Dirty Rotten Scoundrels Reviews
Posted: 3/4/05 at 12:33am

I disagree.

I found Norbert's performance to be fun, exciting and alive, oh, and quite generous.

"...at times embarrassing..."? Not at all, in my opinion.

Updated On: 3/4/05 at 12:33 AM

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#56re: Dirty Rotten Scoundrels Reviews
Posted: 3/4/05 at 12:35am

I absolutely disagree. I think Norbert displayed brilliant comedic skills, especially in his physical comedy, and gave knock-out performance. He's fun, tenacious and lovable. Anything but embarassing.

A work of art is an invitation to love.

MargoChanning
#57re: Dirty Rotten Scoundrels Reviews
Posted: 3/4/05 at 12:44am

Finally an out-and-out rave -- from the Bergen Register (well you can't have everything):

"Just when new Broadway musicals seemed to have settled into a rut of hapless ineptitude, along comes "Dirty Rotten Scoundrels." The show, about two con men, is simply one of the most deliciously funny, smashing entertainments of the last 20 years.

"Great Big Stuff" is the title of one of its exuberant, show-stopping songs, and that's just how it feels: a big, bountiful evening of irresistible musical comedy."
NorthJersey.com

Mattio98
#58re: Dirty Rotten Scoundrels Reviews
Posted: 3/4/05 at 12:44am

Don't even bother Emcee, MusicMan hates everything. If not for the disparity between the Times review and MusicMan's hatred of Butz's performance, I'd think MusicMan might be Brantley himself.

MargoChanning
#59re: Dirty Rotten Scoundrels Reviews
Posted: 3/4/05 at 12:46am

Or John Simon's eviler twin.

Mattio98
#60re: Dirty Rotten Scoundrels Reviews
Posted: 3/4/05 at 12:48am

"Well, pace Brantley, but Butz doesn't quite pull it off either and the crass physicality of the performance is at times downright embarassing."

Sounds vague enough to be "ripped from the Times" to me.

MusicMan
#61re: Dirty Rotten Scoundrels Reviews
Posted: 3/4/05 at 1:10am

Well, Sweetie, since I don't read any Times review beyond the first two paragraphs, your supposition would be wrong. That said, Butz playing with his navel is a sight I could have lived without. Updated On: 3/4/05 at 01:10 AM

Mattio98
#62re: Dirty Rotten Scoundrels Reviews
Posted: 3/4/05 at 1:13am

Your condescending tone does improve my opinion of you and I don't quite understand how you get off speaking down to someone who actually attempts to give insight instead of just bashing everything in sight.

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#63re: Dirty Rotten Scoundrels Reviews
Posted: 3/4/05 at 1:53am

I can't say I'm surprised by the reviews, but I'm certainly disappointed. In some cases, they don't make DIRTY ROTTEN SCOUNDRELS sound any better than BROOKLYN or DRACULA. I don't understand reviewers sometimes.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

MusicMan
#64re: Dirty Rotten Scoundrels Reviews
Posted: 3/4/05 at 1:57am

You've got it backwards, don't you, Mattio? I posted my impressions about the show. It wasn't directed at you or anyone else. Yet, apropos of nothing, you took a swipe at me. Talk about bashing! Very uncool. If you don't like my posts or can't tolerate a dissenting opinion, then, please, don't read them or block me. Otherwise, find somebody else to join you in your sandbox.

MusicMan
#65re: Dirty Rotten Scoundrels Reviews

Updated On: 3/4/05 at 01:57 AM

MusicMan
#66re: Dirty Rotten Scoundrels Reviews

MusicMan
#67re: Dirty Rotten Scoundrels Reviews

shira467 Profile Photo
shira467
#68re: Dirty Rotten Scoundrels Reviews
Posted: 3/4/05 at 5:54am

"Butz doesn't quite pull it off either and the crass physicality of the performance is at times downright embarassing."

I have to agree - while I don't dislike Butz, I don't think he deserves all the raves. I despised crass physicality. And that almost ruined the show for me.

Deet: Shira, I Love You!

melissa errico fan Profile Photo
melissa errico fan
#69re: Dirty Rotten Scoundrels Reviews
Posted: 3/4/05 at 6:11am

What about the Post? Does anybody know Barnes' take on the show?

melissa errico fan Profile Photo
melissa errico fan
#70re: Dirty Rotten Scoundrels Reviews
Posted: 3/4/05 at 6:33am

Ladies and gentlemen, feast your eyes on this *** 1/2 rave from Clive Barnes:

March 4, 2005 --
"W.C. Fields had a rule: Never work with children or ani mals. Were he still alive, he'd probably add Norbert Leo Butz to the list.

As he showed once more in the super-smart new musical "Dirty Rotten Scoundrels," which opened last night, any scene Butz can't steal isn't worth stealing.

Luckily for us, the rest of the fantastic cast — including Butz's co-stars, the ever-suave John Lithgow and the ever-effervescent Sherie Rene Scott — is up to his finger-pickin' ways and refuse to go along meekly with the heist.

The result is one of the liveliest, best-performed musicals in years. And the musical itself ain't chopped liver, either!

Based on the same-named 1988 movie starring Michael Caine and Steve Martin, "Dirty Rotten Scoundrels" tells of a patrician English con artist, Lawrence Jameson (Lithgow) whose French Riviera territory is imperiled by a brash and vulgar young American, Freddy Benson (Butz).

The newcomer tries to apprentice himself to the old hand, but after a calamitously funny bout with a shallow-in-the-heart Oklahoman heiress (a delightfully wacky Sara Gettelfinger), Lawrence wants Freddy out of his con man's heaven.

Freddy refuses to go.

They settle upon a gentleman's agreement: The first man to con 50 grand out of the newest arrival, a bubbly soap-suds heiress named Christine Colgate (Scott), wins. The loser beats it out of town.

Jeffrey Lane's book, following closely on the heels of the screenplay, is currently the wittiest on Broadway, and David ("The Full Monty") Yazbek's happy music proves tunefully serviceable. Even if you go out merely humming Harold Wheeler's orchestrations, Yazbek's comic, sometimes camp, lyrics are positively inspired.

In every way, this is a superior musical — but what makes it one of the season's major Broadway players is every handsomely honed aspect of its production.

Jack O'Brien's masterly staging doesn't miss a trick, from its use of David Rockwell's imaginative settings and Greg Barnes' apt and glamorous costumes, to its integration of Jerry Mitchell's pitch-perfect choreography and the subtle performances it draws out of the actors.

Lithgow — superior from fingertips to toenails, and imbued with an elegance that could shatter a looking-glass — finds the perfect foil in Butz's grotesquely bravura yet perversely charming cunning.

They are a stunning team. Indeed, watching the savvy way Lithgow lobs back Butz's virtuoso histrionics is one of Broadway's purest delights.

Backing them up are not only the adorable Scott as Christine and Gettelfinger as the crazy Oklahoman, but Gregory Jbara, equally impeccable as Andre, Lawrence's henchman (who handily doubles as the town's Chief of Police), and the giddily ditsy Joanna Gleason as the lady who becomes his love.

"Dirty Rotten Scoundrels" may not be the most musical of musicals, but it certainly among the funniest, with a six-pack of energized performers delivering a knockout punch to Broadway's funnybone."

MasterLcZ Profile Photo
MasterLcZ
#71re: Dirty Rotten Scoundrels Reviews
Posted: 3/4/05 at 6:53am

Well, they need every rave they can get.

And Barnes (and Wiener in NEWSDAY) gave them TONS of great pull quotes. It'll do just fine, and Butz probably has the Tony.

After all that, I have to say...this is the first Broadway season in a very long time where I don't have any desire to see either of its two big musicals.

I just can't get enthusiastic about either DRS or SPAM.

"Christ, Bette Davis?!?!"
Updated On: 3/4/05 at 06:53 AM

TheGaIsSilent Profile Photo
TheGaIsSilent
#72re: Dirty Rotten Scoundrels Reviews
Posted: 3/4/05 at 9:11am

Wow, Barnes said EVERYTHING that was in my head. Great pull quotes - bet they're making the posters already.

JOHN LITHGOW I just realized, your last name is Butz! Both "Norbert" AND "Butz" are in your name! You must have gotten picked on a lot as a child!
Updated On: 3/4/05 at 09:11 AM

Matt_G Profile Photo
Matt_G
#73re: Dirty Rotten Scoundrels Reviews
Posted: 3/4/05 at 9:36am

This is complete bullsh*t. This is certanly one of the best shows playing right now and one of the most entertaining new musicals in quite a long time. What the hell are these reviewers looking for?

"Noah, someday we'll talk again. But there's things we'll never say. That sorrow deep inside you. It inside me, too. And it never go away. You be okay. You'll learn how to lose things..."

TheGaIsSilent Profile Photo
TheGaIsSilent
#74re: Dirty Rotten Scoundrels Reviews
Posted: 3/4/05 at 9:44am

Matt,

My only solace (aside from the GREAT Post review, and some good ones from Bergen and Broadway.com) is that I suspect Spamalot's reviews will be pretty weak, as well.

JOHN LITHGOW I just realized, your last name is Butz! Both "Norbert" AND "Butz" are in your name! You must have gotten picked on a lot as a child!

Videos