Dirty Rotten Scoundrels Reviews

MargoChanning
#0Dirty Rotten Scoundrels Reviews
Posted: 3/3/05 at 6:34pm

Talkin Broadway is first -- pretty mixed:

"We all know the famous saying: You can fool all of the people some of the time and some of the people all of the time, but you can't fool all of the people all of the time. Why, then, are so many musical theatre writers today insistent on trying? Different authors succeed to different degrees, but most attempts are usually better camouflaged than they are in Dirty Rotten Scoundrels.

The new musical at the Imperial doesn't want for gloss, color, or slick Broadway know-how. What's missing - and all too noticeably - is a set of core principles. Okay, principles are funny things to demand from a show about con artists, but a show of any sort without a guiding set of rules has an uphill struggle in front of it, and "entertain the audience at any cost" is the kind of philosophy that only works these days for Mel Brooks.

That's what the creators of Dirty Rotten Scoundrels are attempting, and while they succeed roughly half the time, it's the other, unanchored half that makes it hard to fall for this show's particular spiel. You become keenly aware at every juncture that this musical has little original framework of its own, that it's been cobbled together from (superior) parts of other recent shows, most notably The Producers, Sweet Smell of Success, and Hairspray.
------------------------------------------------------------

Despite these problems, the show manages to entertain, even frequently, and it's never a chore to sit through. But the final effect is one of gears grinding rather than of effortless musical comedy beguilement, which is what a show like this really needs. The Producers demonstrates how a show can steal your heart while its central figures steal other characters' dollars, but how can Dirty Rotten Scoundrels effectively steal our hearts when it doesn't have one of its own? "
http://www.talkinbroadway.com/world/DirtyRotten.html

"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney
Updated On: 3/3/05 at 06:34 PM

StickToPriest Profile Photo
StickToPriest
#1re: Dirty Rotten Scoundrels Reviews
Posted: 3/3/05 at 6:39pm

Hmm. Well, I can't say I agree with him on many of his points, but I have to say that I can see where he's coming from.

"One no longer loves one's insight enough once one communicates it."

The opposite of creation isn't war, it's stagnation.

TheGaIsSilent Profile Photo
TheGaIsSilent
#2re: Dirty Rotten Scoundrels Reviews
Posted: 3/3/05 at 6:58pm

Hmm... I'm not a fan of Murray's at all.

Moving on...

JOHN LITHGOW I just realized, your last name is Butz! Both "Norbert" AND "Butz" are in your name! You must have gotten picked on a lot as a child!

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#3re: Dirty Rotten Scoundrels Reviews
Posted: 3/3/05 at 7:02pm

I strongly disagree with him, which is funny, because I generally agree with his reviews. I can see where he's coming from, but I really don't agree at all.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

StickToPriest
#4re: Dirty Rotten Scoundrels Reviews
Posted: 3/3/05 at 7:03pm

Yeah. With Murray, you never know what he is gonna say.
Sometimes I'm on the same page as him. Sometimes I completely disagree. As is the case with DRS.

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#5re: Dirty Rotten Scoundrels Reviews
Posted: 3/3/05 at 7:05pm

Hmph.

Next, please.

A work of art is an invitation to love.

MargoChanning
#6re: Dirty Rotten Scoundrels Reviews
Posted: 3/3/05 at 8:13pm

Next up: Theatremania -- A Rave:

"No need for tuner fans to pinch themselves; the unbelievable is actually occurring. This season, the word "comedy" is being emphatically and joyfully reinserted into the phrase "musical comedy." First, there was The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee, followed quickly by Altar Boyz. Now we have Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, spoof-positive that the formula refined in the 1940s and '50s for a certain brand of musical still works -- if the right people are working it.

Well, jumping Jehosaphat, the right people have linked arms to walk into the remunerative sunset under the supervision of executive producers Marty Bell and Aldo Scrofani. (The long list of the show's co-producers fancifully includes the names David Belasco, Florenz Ziegfeld, and "The Entire Prussian Army." Such tomfoolery is in keeping with the musical's flim-flam theme, which is cutely extended into the shrewd promotional campaign.) There's so much clicking into gear as Dirty Rotten Scoundrels revs its motors that a reviewer's dilemma is knowing where to start flinging the highly positive adjectives.

Do you start with John Lithgow doing a suave, 180-degree shift from his Sweet Smell of Success role of J.J. Hunsecker? Or with Norbert Leo Butz more than living up to the star-in-ascendent publicity that he's been accumulating? Or with Sherie Rene Scott, who suggests that -- in musicals, at least -- blondes really do have more fun? Do you begin with a salute to tunesmith-wordsmith David Yazbek, who comes into his own as a theater writer with this melodic, laugh-out-loud collection of adorably dopey ditties? Do you bow first to librettist Jeffrey Lane, who has adapted the Michael Caine-Steve Martin film and its antecedents into a stage piece in which sophistication and vulgarity climb into bed with each other and then mess around? Do you initially nod toward Jerry Mitchell in acknowledgment of his devil-may-care choreography, or toward the design team -- David Rockwell for his witty sets, Kenneth Posner for his bright lights, Acme Sound Partners for their discreet amplifying and mixing, Gregg Barnes for his stunning costumes? Should you commence by singling out director Jack O'Brien for again demonstrating that any show with which he's involved is going to be scintillating?"
http://www.theatermania.com/content/news.cfm/story/5722

"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney

luvtheEmcee
#7re: Dirty Rotten Scoundrels Reviews
Posted: 3/3/05 at 8:17pm

*nods in approval*

re: Dirty Rotten Scoundrels Reviews re: Dirty Rotten Scoundrels Reviews re: Dirty Rotten Scoundrels Reviews re: Dirty Rotten Scoundrels Reviews re: Dirty Rotten Scoundrels Reviews

Okay, you get the point. Keep 'em comin'!

Mattio98
#8re: Dirty Rotten Scoundrels Reviews
Posted: 3/3/05 at 8:18pm

His first paragraph sums up exactly what I was trying to say in my review a couple of weeks ago. This show is a teriffic throwback to old-fashioned musical comedy.

TheGaIsSilent
#9re: Dirty Rotten Scoundrels Reviews
Posted: 3/3/05 at 8:32pm

Yep, that's more like it

JOHN LITHGOW I just realized, your last name is Butz! Both "Norbert" AND "Butz" are in your name! You must have gotten picked on a lot as a child!

Mattio98
#10re: Dirty Rotten Scoundrels Reviews
Posted: 3/3/05 at 8:34pm

I'm thinking/hoping that most of the reviews will lean in this direction.

LaCageAuxFollesFan2 Profile Photo
LaCageAuxFollesFan2
#11re: Dirty Rotten Scoundrels Reviews
Posted: 3/3/05 at 8:39pm

Lets hope so, the show most certainly deserves it. Not quite sure why BWAY.com or NEWSDAY havent posted yet, they are usually right in there time wise with TalkinBway.

StickToPriest
#12re: Dirty Rotten Scoundrels Reviews
Posted: 3/3/05 at 8:42pm

Yeah. Broadway.com is posting their review really late. For them, anyway.

Updated On: 3/3/05 at 08:42 PM

Mattio98
#13re: Dirty Rotten Scoundrels Reviews
Posted: 3/3/05 at 8:44pm

I'm interested to see if Brantley can manage to hate this one. Come on Ben! You can do it! Ugh...

luvtheEmcee
#14re: Dirty Rotten Scoundrels Reviews
Posted: 3/3/05 at 8:44pm

*waits and doesn't study*

Oh, the anticipation.

Pft, Mattio, I'm sure he can.

MargoChanning
#15re: Dirty Rotten Scoundrels Reviews
Posted: 3/3/05 at 8:46pm

Brantley will probably be mixed-to-positive -- his typical thing.

Testing1232 Profile Photo
Testing1232
#16re: Dirty Rotten Scoundrels Reviews
Posted: 3/3/05 at 8:46pm

Knew I liked Theatermania !!!

Mattio98
#17re: Dirty Rotten Scoundrels Reviews
Posted: 3/3/05 at 8:47pm

"Brantley will probably be mixed-to-positive -- his typical thing."

For once Margo, I disagree with you. Brantley's typical thing it mixed-to-negative with absolutely no specifics.

LaCageAuxFollesFan2 Profile Photo
LaCageAuxFollesFan2
#18re: Dirty Rotten Scoundrels Reviews
Posted: 3/3/05 at 8:48pm

Would it be too much to ask for him to give the most deserving NEW musical in the last 3 seasons a RAVE?? Come-on Brantley - THIS IS IT! Please give us a little more than your usual drivel and let us know how much you love it (or hate it)! Make it a REAL REVIEW for a change.

PS - you all must think Im crazy, but somebody has to know what I mean!

TGIF Profile Photo
TGIF
#19re: Dirty Rotten Scoundrels Reviews
Posted: 3/3/05 at 9:06pm

Excellent!

I want to write music. I want to sit down right now at my piano and write a song that people will listen to and remember and do the same thing every morning...for the rest of my life. - Jonathan Larson. Tick, Tick...BOOM!

TheGaIsSilent
#20re: Dirty Rotten Scoundrels Reviews
Posted: 3/3/05 at 9:07pm

Re-loading ATC and BWW, watching the Apprentice. God, I need to get out of the house.

mominator Profile Photo
mominator
#21re: Dirty Rotten Scoundrels Reviews
Posted: 3/3/05 at 9:09pm

Did the Times sen Mr B?

"All I ask of you is one thing: please don't be cynical. I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen." Conan O'Brien

Mattio98
#22re: Dirty Rotten Scoundrels Reviews
Posted: 3/3/05 at 9:10pm

I would assume so...

Broadway Matt Profile Photo
Broadway Matt
#23re: Dirty Rotten Scoundrels Reviews
Posted: 3/3/05 at 9:16pm

how did Brantley treat Lithgow during SWEET SMELL? one thing with BB is that he looooooooooooves a star, no matter what they do. the question would then be, is Lithgow a star in BrantleyLand?

"The last train out of any station will not be full of nice guys." - Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

"I wash my face, then drink beer, then I weep. Say a prayer and induce insincere self-abuse, till I'm fast asleep"- In Trousers

melissa errico fan Profile Photo
melissa errico fan
#24re: Dirty Rotten Scoundrels Reviews
Posted: 3/3/05 at 9:19pm

He savaged Lithgow and the show.

Videos