Ya say, "That ain't fair?" Ya say, "That ain't nice?"
Ya know what I say?
"Up yours!"
-Audrey II

from my friend

Derek
#51re: Top 10 Best Muscials ever. . .
Posted: 4/8/05 at 10:51pm

I agree with everyone...shows like Guys and Dolls, Porgy and Bess, Oklahoma, Anything Goes are def. classics and great shows...probably the best....and im not trying to be all defensive or anything lol, but I do feel that Wicked...and even Avenue Q and Rent have changed theatre history. I dont think there has ever been a show so...popular lol?...as Wicked or Rent. I personally love both and see much more than just costumes and sets when I see Wicked....but yeah....thats just my opinion. :) all good

SallyBrown Profile Photo
SallyBrown
#52re: Top 10 Best Muscials ever. . .
Posted: 4/8/05 at 10:54pm

sara, you better warn your friends not to pick fights with BWW people.

Derek- well there was CATS and POTO that are the longest running shows, so I guess you can say those are more popular? but i know what you mean

"It's a great feeling of power to be naked in front of people. We're happy to watch actual incredible graphic violence and gore, but as soon as somebody's naked it seems like the public goes a bit bananas about the whole thing."

Type_A_Tiff Profile Photo
Type_A_Tiff
#53re: Top 10 Best Muscials ever. . .
Posted: 4/8/05 at 11:04pm

My friend says:

"*shrug* *yawn* I've been called worse from better people."

And I say you're getting awfully defensive considering how I was nothing but respectful and sided with you in my taste for modern musicals.

"It's not always about you!!!" (But if you think I'm referring to you anyway, then I probably am.)

"Good luck returning my ass!" - Wilhemina Slater

"This is my breakfast, lunch and f***ing dinner right here. I'm not even f***in' joking." - Colin Farrell

Broadway_Bound_Star Profile Photo
Broadway_Bound_Star
#54re: Top 10 Best Muscials ever. . .
Posted: 4/8/05 at 11:06pm

My list....
Miss Sigon
Footloose
South Pacific
Cinderella
Once on this Island
Evita
Seussical
Passion
RENT
Pippin

In no order....

SallyBrown Profile Photo
SallyBrown
#55re: Top 10 Best Muscials ever. . .
Posted: 4/8/05 at 11:08pm

Tiff- tell your friend I admire them lol

broadway bound star- I love Pippin!

"It's a great feeling of power to be naked in front of people. We're happy to watch actual incredible graphic violence and gore, but as soon as somebody's naked it seems like the public goes a bit bananas about the whole thing."

MarkCohen
#56re: Top 10 Best Muscials ever. . .
Posted: 4/8/05 at 11:10pm

This is as close as I can get it. It's only my top 5.

1.Rent
2.Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street
3.Urinetown
4.Assassins
5.Sunday in the Park With George

Yeah. you can bitch at me for including Rent, but please make sure you include a detailed description of how it hasn't changed the theatre.

Type_A_Tiff
#57re: Top 10 Best Muscials ever. . .
Posted: 4/8/05 at 11:11pm

Rent's great. I would say it didn't change theatre in the sense that it's not the first rock-opera, but it drew attention to taboo subjects and drew a younger audience to the theatre.

"It's not always about you!!!" (But if you think I'm referring to you anyway, then I probably am.)

"This is my breakfast, lunch and f***ing dinner right here. I'm not even f***in' joking." - Colin Farrell

MarkCohen
#58re: Top 10 Best Muscials ever. . .
Posted: 4/8/05 at 11:13pm

Definitely. I mean, it brought me to theatre. Leading me to all sorts of different shows.

sara4466
#59re: Top 10 Best Muscials ever. . .
Posted: 4/8/05 at 11:15pm

ok I didnt mean anything bad against any one here (well I did to some people but not really) and my friend and I were really only playing around

mollyllom Profile Photo
mollyllom
#60re: Top 10 Best Muscials ever. . .
Posted: 4/8/05 at 11:15pm

my favorite musicals
1) bat boy
2) rent
3) into the woods
4) avenue q
5) little shop of horrors

I can't choose the others...

http://www.freeiPods.com/?r=13865158 please =D

Type_A_Tiff
#61re: Top 10 Best Muscials ever. . .
Posted: 4/8/05 at 11:17pm

If by "some people", you mean me, you're certainly free to say so. I'm just saying your passive-aggressiveness is misplaced.

MarkCohen, agreed. re: Top 10 Best Muscials ever. . .

Derek
#62re: Top 10 Best Muscials ever. . .
Posted: 4/8/05 at 11:18pm

Yeah I know that, CATS and PHANTOM...but idk, its a different kind of show maybe? Like the lotto line/cancelation line is sooooo long for this particular show. I have a feeling Wicked may either one day become the longest running show, or fizzle out. But u were right too :). It could go either way. And I hope Tiff you werent talking about me. Im sorry if I offended u in anyway. I just know how some people can be really nasty to some other people who like Wicked on this board and I didnt want to start anything. Sorry :)

bjivie2 Profile Photo
bjivie2
#63re: Top 10 Best Muscials ever. . .
Posted: 4/8/05 at 11:18pm

My list as a musical theatre reviewer/writer/performer/enthusiast/historian...

(in alphabetical order)
A Chorus Line
Cabaret
Company
Gypsy
Les Miserables
Oklahoma!
RENT
Show Boat
Sweeney Todd
West Side Story

I based my list on the actual musical itself (it's book, music, lyrics in the context of the time period when it came out), it's impact on musical theatre, it's authors and how it has stood the test of time.

Eeeeeeyyyyyyyyaaaaaaaannnnnddddd aaaaaaaiiiiiiiiyyyyyyaaaaaammmmmmmm teeeeeeeelllllliiiiiinnngg yyyyooooooouuuuuuuwwwaaaahh...

Type_A_Tiff
#64re: Top 10 Best Muscials ever. . .
Posted: 4/8/05 at 11:20pm

No, Derek, I wasn't referring to you. I actually agree with everything that you said. re: Top 10 Best Muscials ever. . . I have no problem with Wicked fans (I'm a fan myself). It was a certain other individual who got off on a bad foot.

Updated On: 4/8/05 at 11:20 PM

Derek
#65re: Top 10 Best Muscials ever. . .
Posted: 4/8/05 at 11:22pm

O Ok, its all good. Just wanna be liked lol :)

sara4466
#66re: Top 10 Best Muscials ever. . .
Posted: 4/8/05 at 11:29pm

no not u type_a_tiff, I like you, I'm serious, u were on my side when everyone was hating on me

Type_A_Tiff
#67re: Top 10 Best Muscials ever. . .
Posted: 4/8/05 at 11:31pm

Yeah, that's true.

*adjusts halo*

sara4466
#68re: Top 10 Best Muscials ever. . .
Posted: 4/8/05 at 11:35pm

I'm sorry to everyone that I said bad stuff about and I take everything back that I said

TGIF Profile Photo
TGIF
#69re: Top 10 Best Muscials ever. . .
Posted: 4/8/05 at 11:46pm

You also might have avoided this by just saying "Top 10 Favorite Musicals"

"BEST" and "EVER" are very strong words. I don't see how six of your 10 choices for the BEST MUSICALS opened in the last 10 years.

I want to write music. I want to sit down right now at my piano and write a song that people will listen to and remember and do the same thing every morning...for the rest of my life. - Jonathan Larson. Tick, Tick...BOOM!

alterego Profile Photo
alterego
#70re: Top 10 Best Muscials ever. . .
Posted: 4/9/05 at 12:11am

This thread should have been called'Your (personal) Favourite Top 10 Musicals'. In order to have a 'best ever' you have to have seen all the musicals ever written.

aliceripleysnumber1 Profile Photo
aliceripleysnumber1
#71re: Top 10 Best Muscials ever. . .
Posted: 4/9/05 at 12:23am

Why can't we each have our own opinions on this topic? You say that Sara was being offensive, and to watch it on these boards. Personally if I was giving my opinion on my top 10 musicals and you criticized me, and treated me like I was stupid for feeling a certain way, I wouldn't be too happy either.

I don't agree with Sara's list, but I can still respect her opinion. Her taste in musicals may not be The Music Man or A Little Night Music....

But then again that's just MY opinion...in which I'm now probably asking for my head getting bitten off too...

TGIF Profile Photo
TGIF
#72re: Top 10 Best Muscials ever. . .
Posted: 4/9/05 at 12:35am

"I don't agree with Sara's list, but I can still respect her opinion. Her taste in musicals may not be The Music Man or A Little Night Music...."

You make some valid points, but I think we can all agree that even though someone might not prefer certain shows (A Little Night of Music), it is hard to deny its quality.

That is why I suggested that this thread be a list of your *favorite shows* to avoid the conflict that arose.

I want to write music. I want to sit down right now at my piano and write a song that people will listen to and remember and do the same thing every morning...for the rest of my life. - Jonathan Larson. Tick, Tick...BOOM!

aliceripleysnumber1 Profile Photo
aliceripleysnumber1
#73re: Top 10 Best Muscials ever. . .
Posted: 4/9/05 at 12:42am

I agree, TGIF, that the title should have been "you're favorite...." I guess I just inferred that she meant that. I suppose it does say the word "ever" ...so I see what you are saying

Unmasked05 Profile Photo
Unmasked05
#74re: Top 10 Best Muscials ever. . .
Posted: 4/9/05 at 12:44am

My List:
1.) Wicked
2.) The Phantom of The Opera
3.) Hello, Dolly !
4.) Les Miserables
5.) Carousel
6.) RENT
7.) The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas