Stars on the Subway

Dummy Profile Photo
Dummy
#50re: Stars on the Subway
Posted: 4/12/05 at 3:33pm

It's true that you tend to run into "people" in New York all the time...probably because of widespread public transportation and people walking from place to place. I grew up in LA and, although you do "see" stars from time to time, it's not nearly so likely on a day to day basis as it seems to be in NY...perhaps because they're all in private vehicles from door to door. I worked for years at Disneyland, where almost everyone shows up sooner or later, but even there sightings were less frequent than in New York.

MTRBOI24
#51re: Stars on the Subway
Posted: 4/12/05 at 5:44pm

I saw Saycon Sengbloh in my hometown at a few places, out to eat....out for coffee.....walking down the street, lol. Those don't count though because A. They werent on the Subway and B. I was with her, lol.

midtowngym Profile Photo
midtowngym
#52re: Stars on the Subway
Posted: 4/12/05 at 5:54pm

My(already told)story--Mario Cantone getting on the E train at 50th street after Assassins. He walked down the car like the diva he is, shifting his eyes to either side hoping to be noticed (by a crowd who had no idea who he was.) I finally said "Mario Cantone takes the subway?" He gave me some patented sass-"Mario Cantone ALWAYS takes the subway!"

'The Devil be hitting me!'--Whitney Houston

Amneris Profile Photo
Amneris
#53re: Stars on the Subway
Posted: 4/12/05 at 7:45pm

I always see Michael Musto riding his bike everywhere, Richard Kind in Ollies and walking down the street but, he is ALWAYS talking to himself in full detail lol.. Barry Humphrey's aka Dame Edna is also always eating in Ollie's..obviously out of costume. Rene Zellweger was on my train 3 weeks ago doing her make up lol.

Broadwayballerina Profile Photo
Broadwayballerina
#54re: Stars on the Subway
Posted: 4/12/05 at 7:52pm

I love that everyone is semi-equal in NYC. I mean obviously that is the opposite of true. By strolling down the street...celebrity or starving artist...we walk the same streets and ride the same means of transportation!

"I look before I leap I love margins and discipline I make lists in my sleep Baby what's my sin?"- Joanne, Rent

i*heart*fame
#55re: Stars on the Subway
Posted: 4/12/05 at 8:00pm

This doesnt really count, but I thought it was cool. I was walking home after dropping my friend off at community service and I saw Brian Stokes Mitchell on 96th and broadway, but the street, not in the subway.

"Don't thank your parents, if you were raised in a nurturing environment you wouldnt be in show business"--Conan O'Brien at the 2006 Emmy Awards

kim1061 Profile Photo
kim1061
#56re: Stars on the Subway
Posted: 4/12/05 at 8:18pm

MTRBOI24 you are too funny.
I am on the 1/9 whenever I go into the city and anyone I see is a look-a-like. I saw an Idina Menzel look-a-like. It was awkward haha because I kept staring. Then, when i stopped...she started staring. What a stalker. hahaah

A dancer might dream to see her name in lights and mean it, but all she really dreams is to make someone else feel the way she did when she first saw a dancer. And that is so beautiful-Anonymous

hannahshule Profile Photo
hannahshule
#57re: Stars on the Subway
Posted: 4/12/05 at 8:29pm

Oh My God! Stars...on the subway! NO WAY!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry...

~And let us try, before we die, to make some sense of life~

ShineOn
#58re: Stars on the Subway
Posted: 4/13/05 at 1:02pm

Haha hannah... that was my reaction as well. But in all seriousness... you really do run into millions of people in NY... it just happens. I'm totally oblivious and even I occasionally notice people!

Two weeks ago I was walking along 8th and passed Nancy Anderson... then I saw Kerry Butler in the window of a bagel shop... and then realized she was eating with my friend so I stopped in and said HI. LOL.

About two years ago, I would run into Jennifer Laura Thompson SO often I was beginning to think she thought I was stalking her. I'm assuming she just lived close by to me... because everytime I ran into her it was around my neighborhood.

I actually waited on Stephen Schwartz once... I was training at the Eatery and he was at one of my tables.

"You! You are the worst thing to happen to musical theatre since Andrew Lloyd Webber! And you, well, I just plain don't like you."
~Stewart Gilligan Griffin

ikmbway
#59re: Stars on the Subway
Posted: 4/13/05 at 3:41pm

I would do a lot to meet some star on teh subway only now i gotta start riding the subway more.

hannahshule Profile Photo
hannahshule
#60re: Stars on the Subway
Posted: 4/13/05 at 3:49pm

! love Nancy Anderson, she's funny. I saw Bernadette peters at Serendipity once last year, but as far as subway encounters, I've yet to experience one.

~And let us try, before we die, to make some sense of life~

Actinggbugg474
#61re: Stars on the Subway
Posted: 4/13/05 at 8:30pm

After seeing Wicked on opening weekend me and my 2 friends were walking through Times Square (with our Wicked shirts on of course), and these 3 women stopped us and asked us if we liked the show. We told them we loved it and how the show just blew us away. Eventually we found out that the women we were talking to was Idina's mom and the other women were Idina's two aunts who came to see the show that weekend. Of course, being the nerds we are we told them that we just got Idina's autograph and we told them that we were upset because Kristin didn't come out the stage door. Then her mom said something along the lines of "Yeah, from what Idina's said, that sounds like Kristin." So apparently Idina had been badmouthing Kristin to mommy! After a ten minute conversation we took their pictures, and said bye!

(Yes, i know Idina's mother isn't a star AND we didn't see her on the Subway, lol ... it's still a good story though)
Updated On: 4/13/05 at 08:30 PM

ShineOn
#62re: Stars on the Subway
Posted: 4/13/05 at 8:30pm

Nancy's a doll... and I love Serendipity!

The last person I noticed with me on the subway was Barrett Foa..this past February.. and don't even ask me to remember what line... I was staying in Brooklyn at the time... its possible it was the F... or I was transferring... I don't remember. LOL

"You! You are the worst thing to happen to musical theatre since Andrew Lloyd Webber! And you, well, I just plain don't like you."
~Stewart Gilligan Griffin

LesMizazz Profile Photo
LesMizazz
#63re: Stars on the Subway
Posted: 4/13/05 at 10:23pm

My friend and I had just seen a show and we went to the subway station. We had to walk down a ways
and then we stopped and waited and she asked me if I had seen Barrett Foa sitting on the bench.
I was convinced that it wasn't him until we saw Jennifer Barnhart a few minutes later and knew that
if she stopped and talked to him, that it would be him...and it was!

"And suddenly I'm flying flying like a bird, like electricity, electricity, sparks inside of me, and I'm free, I'm free" -Billy Elliot

BWAYROCKS
#64re: Stars on the Subway
Posted: 4/16/05 at 12:51pm

When I rode the 1/9, I always saw Jessica Grove, Megan McGinnis, Deven May, and Louise Pitre. I saw Harriet Harris several times as well coming out of/going into the subway station.

I always saw actors on the street walking as well (lol- they have to walk to get to their theatres/appointments!)- Brian Stokes Mitchell, Kerry Butler, Faith Prince and Lea Delaria (who were together every time I saw the two of them - about 4 or 5 times!). i miss seeing "famous" folk

bwaysinger Profile Photo
bwaysinger
#65re: Stars on the Subway
Posted: 4/16/05 at 12:55pm

on transportation, I've seen Randy Harrison (Queer as Folk) umpteen million times, Julie Stiles (on the ubiquitous 1 train) and even sat on the bus right next to Roger Rees once.
Otherwise, I run into everyone on the streets.
Walked by Euan Morton (not a star except on Broadway, true) the other night and used to live by Jack Noseworthy so I always saw him walking his dog.

Videos