pixeltracker

LaChiusa's House of Bernard Alba with Daphne Rubin-Vega?- Page 3

LaChiusa's House of Bernard Alba with Daphne Rubin-Vega?

MargoChanning
#50re: LaChiusa's House of Bernard Alba with Daphne Rubin-Vega?
Posted: 11/22/05 at 2:10am

We'll see what ticket availability to the general public will be for this. Oftentimes, shows at the Mitzi Newhouse sell out their entire runs the day that tickets are made available to subscribers. The current play there, Third by Wendy Wasserstein sold out within hours and the only way to see it if you didn't get tix first day was if you got lucky in the cancellation line. Same thing happened with Belle Epoque that played there earlier this year.

I have a pair of Lincoln Center memberships and it has happened that if I didn't make sure to grab my tix first day member tix went on sale for shows at the Mitzi, I've been shut out. So I doubt there'll be rush or student tix available for this one.

"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney

melissa errico fan Profile Photo
melissa errico fan
#51re: LaChiusa's House of Bernard Alba with Daphne Rubin-Vega?
Posted: 11/22/05 at 6:50am

Both my niece and nephew saw Third through LCT StudenTix due to last minute cancellations, so anything is possible. I myself plan to buy tickets for this the day they go on sale to members. The cast sounds phenomenal.

Borstalboy Profile Photo
Borstalboy
#52re: LaChiusa's House of Bernard Alba with Daphne Rubin-Vega?
Posted: 11/22/05 at 9:27am

As always, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this is the production that finally gets MJL some ruh-SPECK!

"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing.” ~ Muhammad Ali

Jon
#53re: LaChiusa's House of Bernard Alba with Daphne Rubin-Vega?
Posted: 11/22/05 at 10:02am

My darlin' Sally Murphy proves herself the most versatile singing actress in New York. She can play Jewish! She can play Spanish!

BSoBW2
#54re: LaChiusa's House of Bernard Alba with Daphne Rubin-Vega?
Posted: 11/22/05 at 11:09am

And she can play post-modernist!

BSoBW2
#55re: LaChiusa's House of Bernard Alba with Daphne Rubin-Vega?
Posted: 11/22/05 at 11:11am

And I don't know what this means, but it must say something that actors keep coming back to work on LaChiusa's shows - Sally Murphy, Marc Kudisch, Mary Testa (three shows!).

Then you have Audra McDonald who has worked with him a lot.

Who else?

CaroleeFan Profile Photo
CaroleeFan
#56re: LaChiusa's House of Bernard Alba with Daphne Rubin-Vega?
Posted: 11/22/05 at 11:56am

Sally Murphy is one of the most underrated performers around. Can't wait to see her in this.

"They hear drums, we hear music."- Passion.

WonderBoy Profile Photo
WonderBoy
#57re: LaChiusa's House of Bernard Alba with Daphne Rubin-Vega?
Posted: 11/22/05 at 12:03pm

I agree Robert darling! She is amazing! I'm also pleased to see Mrs. Rashad in a musical again. I saw her in INTO THE WOODS back in the day and I thought she did a wonderful job. She was also great in JELLY's LAST JAM too. Yay! I am excited to see this.

"For me, THEATRE is an anticipation, an artistic rush, an emotional banquet, a jubilant appreciation, and an exit hopeful of clearer thought and better worlds." ~ an anonymous traveler with Robert Burns

melissa errico fan Profile Photo
melissa errico fan
#58re: LaChiusa's House of Bernard Alba with Daphne Rubin-Vega?
Posted: 11/22/05 at 3:27pm

I adore Sally and look forward to her performance, but it might be a bit of a stretch to imagine her as Rashad's daughter and Rubin-Vega's sister.

sweetiedarlinmia Profile Photo
sweetiedarlinmia
#59re: LaChiusa's House of Bernard Alba with Daphne Rubin-Vega?
Posted: 11/22/05 at 6:53pm

SOOOOOO EXCITED!!! I get to see Ms. Rashad in a LaChiusa!? It's as though the man upstairs decided to mark something off my wish list. Oh, an example of grace and dignity. I've loved her voice since the Cosby Show episode when she sings at Hillman. I listen to that song frequently! Ok see now my friends are going to get worried that I'll have 3 pics with Ms. Rashad. And LaChiusa, OH! WHAT CAN I SAY!? I LOVE THE MAN! Oh, my chest hurts with excitement!

BSoBW2
#60re: LaChiusa's House of Bernard Alba with Daphne Rubin-Vega?
Posted: 11/22/05 at 7:02pm

Yes, I also thought she sounded good on Cosby - aghm!

I adore Sally and look forward to her performance, but it might be a bit of a stretch to imagine her as Rashad's daughter and Rubin-Vega's sister.

Yeah, are there other roles that are more, well, white.

BroadwayBaby6 Profile Photo
BroadwayBaby6
#61re: LaChiusa's House of Bernard Alba with Daphne Rubin-Vega?
Posted: 11/22/05 at 7:03pm

I hate to rain on your collective parade but I was frankly not impressed by "See What I want to See". I found it more interesting than entertaining. I love "Wild Party" but I also found "Hello Again" and "Marie Christine" to be uneven.

LaChiusa has become extremely prolific- he is also premiering an opera for Audra in Houston in March.

"It does what a musical is supposed to do; it takes you to another world. And it gives you a little tune to carry in your head. Something to take you away from the dreary horrors of the real world. A little something for when you're feeling blue. You know?"

BSoBW2
#62re: LaChiusa's House of Bernard Alba with Daphne Rubin-Vega?
Posted: 11/22/05 at 7:05pm

Hello Again is brilliance.

I am sorry you did not like it. Nor MC. Updated On: 11/22/05 at 07:05 PM

apdarcey
#63re: LaChiusa's House of Bernard Alba with Daphne Rubin-Vega?
Posted: 11/22/05 at 7:06pm

i could not be more excited about seeing phylicia in a new musical on the new york stage. that's about the best news ever.

MTVMANN Profile Photo
MTVMANN
#64re: LaChiusa's House of Bernard Alba with Daphne Rubin-Vega?
Posted: 11/22/05 at 7:44pm

I'm THRILLED to see that Sally Murphy is going to be in this. Might she be the oldest daughter?

Up In Lost
#65re: LaChiusa's House of Bernard Alba with Daphne Rubin-Vega?
Posted: 11/22/05 at 7:53pm

I like the Laura Shoop/Sally Murphy pairing again. Go figure, I'm strange at thinking it's aareally neat when performers worl so well together they get cast in another show together.

And, not that I know anything about it, but it's such a cool cast. All different kinds of people, who are all pretty 'current'.

Yes, I"m a moron.

Well, I'm glad he got away with it.

Jon
#66re: LaChiusa's House of Bernard Alba with Daphne Rubin-Vega?
Posted: 11/22/05 at 10:27pm

Sally may be several years older than Daphne, but she sure don't look it.

It's pretty amazing that Sally, who recently turned 43, is playing the "not yet 20 years old" Tzeitel in Fiddler.

aegeusrocks Profile Photo
aegeusrocks
#67re: LaChiusa's House of Bernard Alba with Daphne Rubin-Vega?
Posted: 11/22/05 at 10:41pm

I am so excited for this to be happening, I only wish I could get tickets...the show opens on the night that I'd be able to see a show when I'm in NY. Gah, phooey! If only I was a member, though that would be rather pointless. I hope this runs as long as LITP is, I really want to see Phylicia, Daphne, Niki, and Sally on the stage together!

Jazzysuite82
#68re: LaChiusa's House of Bernard Alba with Daphne Rubin-Vega?
Posted: 11/23/05 at 12:47am

I find it very funny that people have issues with things as small as race. Sally Murphey, Phylicia Rashad, and Daphne Ruben-Vega all have different hues of skin,therefore it's not believable. Yet no one has an issue with people breaking out in song spontaniously. It shouldn't be a stretch to believe their sisters. The act of going to the theatre is suspending general things that you believe to be true. Although theatre is based in some sort of truth, I think it rises above mere reality and hightens it. That's it's job and most often we accept it. But this race issue seems to get some people. I think unless the issues are racial (i.e Ragtime) it shouldn't be a big deal. Since those three are playing relatives, I think we should accept that and not have issue believing it.

BSoBW2
#69re: LaChiusa's House of Bernard Alba with Daphne Rubin-Vega?
Posted: 11/23/05 at 12:48am

Except in LaChiusa musicals it is rare people just "break out" in song. The books aren't the best (though he isn't writing the book this time)...but they do flow into the music.

Jazzysuite82
#70re: LaChiusa's House of Bernard Alba with Daphne Rubin-Vega?
Posted: 11/23/05 at 12:52am

that wasn't the point. People don't flow into song in normal conversation.

BSoBW2
#71re: LaChiusa's House of Bernard Alba with Daphne Rubin-Vega?
Posted: 11/23/05 at 1:02am

I do...

re: LaChiusa's House of Bernard Alba with Daphne Rubin-Vega?

No, I get what you're saying. But I think that for this type of show - it is sort of important. But I am sure they know what's goin' on!

Jazzysuite82
#72re: LaChiusa's House of Bernard Alba with Daphne Rubin-Vega?
Posted: 11/23/05 at 1:36am

I don't see how it is important. Racial tension isn't at the central issue of the play.

BSoBW2
#73re: LaChiusa's House of Bernard Alba with Daphne Rubin-Vega?
Posted: 11/23/05 at 1:42am

I mean in the realistic sense of the play.

But, I am not worried. Sally Murphy - I'll see her play Dottie in Caroline, or Change. re: LaChiusa's House of Bernard Alba with Daphne Rubin-Vega?

Jazzysuite82
#74re: LaChiusa's House of Bernard Alba with Daphne Rubin-Vega?
Posted: 11/23/05 at 1:45am

But that was my whole point. Why does it have to be such a realist thing when it comes to race. I think a lot of white people don't realize that with people of color there are a lot of varying shades. You should see my family. No one would believe some of us are related. I just don't think it should matter. What is real is subjective anyway.

Videos