Best Roger?

SirLiir Profile Photo
SirLiir
#50re: Best Roger?
Posted: 12/9/05 at 12:36pm

Hahaha I can picture that. Well, coming from a Renthead, do you still consider Norbert OBC despite joining a month later? I know may Rent fans adore the OBC because they 'GOT' what the roles were supposed to be. Norbert certainly seemed to me that he understood the character. When I saw Jay a few weeks ago, he also captured the character well. What must an actor do really to capture the spirit of Roger?

Patronus Profile Photo
Patronus
#51re: Best Roger?
Posted: 12/9/05 at 12:53pm

I don't consider him a member of the OBC since that is a specific term, but he definitely got the meaning of the show. It should be pointed out that there isn't a mention or bio for David Driver or Simone (who was an original Mimi/Joanne swing before taking over the role of Mimi in the first national tour of Rent) in the Rent book, but Norbert is there.

In fact, through all the times I saw the show he was easily the best that I saw in the roles of Mark, Roger and Gordon. He really made the Gordon role memorable for me and to this day it would be the part I'd really like to play in the show (while understudying Mark.)

Before I say what I think an actor has to do to capture the spirit of Roger I want to make it clear that different things work for different people. It's really all about the moment and the interpretation of the show. Norbert seemed sincere to me, but in large part I think that was because the role was almost effortless vocally to him. So many Rogers seem to struggle with the notes and that tends to take me out of the moment.

Different people like different things and none of them are really right or wrong. People in this thread have commented on Jeremy Kushnier being very scary because he is so angry. I don't particulary care for a Roger that is just so pissed off that you don't buy the fact that he'd open up to Mimi so quickly, but I also don't want him to be so passive that you don't buy the fact that he didn't kill himself when April did. It's a very fine line acting wise.

Personally, I like Roger to have that fire and anger, but I like it to be clear through his acting choices that it's all a facade to cover the fact that he is terrified of opening up to another person, he is terrified of going out into the world that he feels wronged him and perhaps most importantly he is terrified of being abandoned and left by another person he cares about.

If Roger comes across as angry, it can't be directed at Mimi or Mark directly...he can project it that way, but ultimately I think the actor has to make it clear that his anger is really directed at himself. "Another Day" is a place where this is imperative. I hate it when I see an actor playing Roger singing the "She doesn't see..." portion of that song to the audience directly as if it's an aside or a narration. At this point, Roger should be mad at himself for allowing himself to feel for another person, devastated that life is so unfair that it won't work. Norbert was phenominal at mixing the sorrow, anger and frustration of that number and making it come across on stage.

Even in the case of Benny, I don't think it's just an old friend who they feel sold out, but he's another person that was important in Roger's life that left him. Roger has serious abandonment issues which need to be conveyed or the importance of him abandoning his friends and then overcoming that trend and coming back to New York loses a lot of impact.

If the reason for Roger's anger isn't conveyed properly doesn't come across, it just makes Roger scary - and you are less likely to empathize with that as an audience member which is absolutely mandatory in my opinion.

On the flip side, I think it's important that Roger not be wooden. He has to be passionate in one way or the other. That was my issue with Josh Kobak. He just seemed like he was going through the motions and that doesn't work for me.

Roger is complicated, he has a lot of inner demons. He has self esteem problems. In short, he's screwed up - until we meet Mimi and she puts that fire back into his eye. All through the 2nd Act when Roger is angry at Mimi, I don't think it should be portrayed simply as Roger being afraid of losing another girlfriend, but also that he is afraid of losing that feeling of love and life that he was given when Mimi came into his life.

And the really tough part is that I expect my Roger to do ALL that and not seem as if he's over thinking or over acting it.

Updated On: 12/9/05 at 12:53 PM

SirLiir Profile Photo
SirLiir
#52re: Best Roger?
Posted: 12/9/05 at 12:56pm

Well said!

Patronus Profile Photo
Patronus
#53re: Best Roger?
Posted: 12/9/05 at 1:13pm

I should also add that it really helps if Roger doesn't remind you of a Hobbit.

mallardo Profile Photo
mallardo
#54re: Best Roger?
Posted: 12/9/05 at 1:18pm

Jeremy Kushnier - on all counts.

Faced with these Loreleis, what man can moralize!

SirLiir Profile Photo
SirLiir
#55re: Best Roger?
Posted: 12/9/05 at 1:32pm

Patronus, you need to write a book about Rent. Seriously. You certainly have this show's feeling and message down so well.

Patronus Profile Photo
Patronus
#56re: Best Roger?
Posted: 12/9/05 at 1:45pm

I appreciate the kind words, Ryan. However, I'll leave the book writing to you. I still haven't seen your book. Is it available in any small book stores?

I doubt I could add anything new to the realm of Rent that hasn't already been said 1000 times.

SirLiir Profile Photo
SirLiir
#57re: Best Roger?
Posted: 12/9/05 at 3:16pm

Thanks Patronus. As for my first book, it is mostly available online. It has sold nicely but I am saving my real bestseller (and the one to get my name on the map) for my next release ^^ Stay tuned.

PS I think I would call your book, "Confession of a Teenage Renthead" or "To Kill a RENTingbird"

Fiyero2 Profile Photo
Fiyero2
#58re: Best Roger?
Posted: 12/9/05 at 5:37pm

ADAM PASCAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How Do You Doent Real Life When Real Life's Getting More Like Fiction Each Day??

timote316
#59re: Best Roger?
Posted: 12/9/05 at 6:20pm

I've only seen two Rogers live, Cary and Jeff Scot Carey (u/s on the 03-04 tour). Cary was just amazing. Jeff was good (probably better than I think - my seats were awful), but Cary was just... wow.

And, VERY well put, Patronus. I agree 100%!

teresa2
#60re: Best Roger?
Posted: 12/9/05 at 7:34pm

i have seen several rogers thru the years but none of them ever captured my attention the way jeremy kushnier did. he was by far the best roger i have ever seen. none can compare before him or after him. the others were all fine and did the job but didn't get it the way jeremy did. he was extraordinary in the role and he is missed.

Shirley2
#61re: Best Roger?
Posted: 12/9/05 at 8:20pm

Definitely Jeremy Kushnier. Never seen or heard anyone better. He rocks my world!!

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#62re: Best Roger?
Posted: 12/9/05 at 8:22pm

Nicely done, Patronus. re: Best Roger?

A work of art is an invitation to love.

camerangel Profile Photo
camerangel
#63re: Best Roger?
Posted: 12/9/05 at 8:32pm

Patronus, I could agree more with what you have said.. You have worded my expectations in Roger perfectly..

"All work and no smut makes Cammy lose her edge." ~DG

"Someday I'm going to have a baby and I'm gonna name her L'il Mimi Marquez and I and will sing to her every day and when she's a toddler I will say "L'il Mimi Marquez, clad only in a bubble diaper, will perform her famous play pen handcuff dance to the sounds of breast milk being pumped!" ~Kringas

devon_parker16
#64re: Best Roger?
Posted: 5/13/07 at 3:21pm

Obviously Cary Sheilds.
Not only because he's my cousin, but because he's awesome.

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#65re: Best Roger?
Posted: 5/13/07 at 3:24pm

Obviously Cary Sheilds.

So is "Shields" his stage name?

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

javertim
#66re: Best Roger?
Posted: 5/13/07 at 10:06pm

Here are the ones I've seen ranked in order of whom I thought gave the best performance to the one(s) I liked least:

Will Chase
Dan Rosenbaum
Jeremy Kushnier
Tim Howar
Joshua Kobak
Kevin Spencer
Chad Richardson
Declan Bennett
Brian Ashton Miller
Cary Shields
Sebastian Arcelus
Jay Wilkison
Bryce Ryness
Owen Johnston II
Manley Pope

All the horror stories that are being told in reference to Manley Pope are absolutely true. What a sorry, lost performance. Will was basically perfection. In a way he seemed almost like "superhuman Roger," and because of that, I often still consider Dan Rosenbaum my favorite Roger.

onelastrefrain2 Profile Photo
onelastrefrain2
#67re: Best Roger?
Posted: 5/13/07 at 10:07pm

out of all the roger's i've seen:
1. josh kobak
2. jeremy kushnier
3. tim howar
4. cary shields
5. jay wilkison
6. dan rosenbaum
7. luther creek
8. will chase
9. owen johnston II

Updated On: 5/13/07 at 10:07 PM

i.heart.link Profile Photo
i.heart.link
#68re: Best Roger?
Posted: 5/13/07 at 10:12pm

ADAM! of course! But all i really know is that i HATED Tim Howar's performance!

colleen_lee
#69re: Best Roger?
Posted: 5/13/07 at 10:16pm

I really did not like Will. At all.

I still stand by my Cary vote that I put in 18 months ago.

Number 2 for me is Norbert and then number 3 is Adam.

Will would probably be like 8 or 9. He overplayed the anger and came off really two dimensional to me.

"You just can't win. Ever. Look at the bright side, at least you are not stuck in First Wives Club: The Musical. That would really suck. " --Sueleen Gay

MotorTink Profile Photo
MotorTink
#70re: Best Roger?
Posted: 5/13/07 at 10:19pm

Manley is the only Roger I have seen live. I am sure it would have been Adam if I had seen him (well and will in about 2 months).

BroadwayBoobs: I'll give all of you who weren't there a hint of who took the pictures ...it rhymes with shameless

SOMMS: I knew it was Tink!

sarab Profile Photo
sarab
#71re: Best Roger?
Posted: 5/13/07 at 10:54pm

Will Chase

Follow your bliss! I love Will Chase! I love Lisa Brescia! I love Stephanie J. Block!

misschung
#72re: Best Roger?
Posted: 5/13/07 at 11:13pm

touche, Tink!

I havent seen Rent that many times, sadly. Manley-- he wasn't bad but nothing really stood out to me about his performance. I'm not that crazy about Tim from the vids I've seen of his Roger. So, so far I'd have to say Adam.

The morning star always gets wonderful bright the minute before it has to go --doesn't it?

Videos