Best Roger?

SirLiir Profile Photo
SirLiir
#0Best Roger?
Posted: 12/8/05 at 7:00pm

Has this topic been discussed anyone on the board? I ran a search and got nothing (just Current Roger topics and Roger Bart topics). If anyone has a link, I'd appreciate it.

If not, well, who has been your personal favorite Roger and why?

I think you all know my answer, if you know what I mean hehe

BSoBW2
#1re: Best Roger?
Posted: 12/8/05 at 7:01pm

I'm sure it has.

But I am partial to Adam...and Norbert.

mijofly19
#2re: Best Roger?
Posted: 12/8/05 at 7:25pm

Of the three I've seen/heard:
1. Adam
2. Jay Wilkison
3. Cary Shields

orangeskittles Profile Photo
orangeskittles
#3re: Best Roger?
Posted: 12/8/05 at 7:29pm

Best that I've seen is Dan Rosenbaum, but Josh Kobak was great as well. I think I'd need to see Josh again to get a better perspective.

Like a firework unexploded
Wanting life but never knowing how
Updated On: 12/8/05 at 07:29 PM

Stater2002 Profile Photo
Stater2002
#4re: Best Roger?
Posted: 12/8/05 at 7:35pm

The guy from the NYTW....j/k...but I do like the song "Open Road!"

There is only one you for all time. Fearlessly be yourself. Anthony Rapp My avatar- the amazingly talented Michael Buble

GirlfriendFromCanada
#5re: Best Roger?
Posted: 12/8/05 at 7:38pm

Oh, the Roger thing.

All-time, hands down favorite and in my opinion best also (I do believe there is a difference) is Joshua Kobak. Not only does he just get the role better than anyone I've ever seen, he also is a great performer. His Roger tells a story the entire time he is on stage. I've never gotten as much out of any other I've seen. The only one who comes close to telling as much about Roger's history, situation and emotion is Dan Rosenbaum. I'd love to see that guy in the role again.

Following those two are Jeremy Kushnier, Colin Hanlon and Chad Richardson, in that order.

I still can't understand the fuss over Cary Shields or Jay Wilkison. They're both fine performers, and I don't mind them, but I just like so much more from my Rogers, and I've never got a single thing out of their portrayals except that they looked pretty and knew the blocking of the show.
Updated On: 12/8/05 at 07:38 PM

AuditioningWaitress
#6re: Best Roger?
Posted: 12/8/05 at 7:51pm

I loved Adam! Saw him 3 times! And he was brillant!

Cabchic
#7re: Best Roger?
Posted: 12/8/05 at 7:52pm

I only saw Manley Pope but I loved him!

enjolrasissex Profile Photo
enjolrasissex
#8re: Best Roger?
Posted: 12/8/05 at 7:58pm

The only two Rogers I've heard are Adam and Norbert. Needless to say, Norbert gets my vote.

Who's stoned? I am merely travelling incognito.

staticradar Profile Photo
staticradar
#9re: Best Roger?
Posted: 12/8/05 at 8:00pm

My favorite will always be Jeremy Kushnier. His Roger scares the heck out of me, but he revits me to the stage the entire time, such an amazin actor and singer.

You're always sorry, You're always grateful, You hold her, thinking: "I'm not alone." You're still alone.
-"Sorry-Grateful" Company

iheartcheyenne123 Profile Photo
iheartcheyenne123
#10re: Best Roger?
Posted: 12/8/05 at 8:02pm

ADAM!!!!!!! :) :) he was excellent...as always

--Alex-- "They're singing, "Happy Birthday" You just wanna lay down and cry Not just another birthday, it's 30/90 Why can't you stay 29 Hell, you still feel like you're 22 Turn 30 in 1990 Bang! You're dead, what can you do?" --TTB

ikmbway
#11re: Best Roger?
Posted: 12/8/05 at 8:04pm

Cary Shields because he was amazing when I saw him and just made me love the character even more! And he is good looking :) well in most pictures!

Patronus Profile Photo
Patronus
#12re: Best Roger?
Posted: 12/8/05 at 8:07pm

Here is the list in order of the Roger's I have seen live. I've heard many others, but won't include them in this analysis.

It should also be pointed out that with the exception of Ron Christopher Patrick and Josh Kobak, I saw each of these people at least twice, so it wasn't a "one night thing" for me:

Norbert Leo Butz
Adam Pascal
Christian Mena
Cary Sheilds
Richard H. Blake
Manley Pope
Owen Johnston
Adrien Lewis Morgan
Ron Christopher Patrick
Joshua Kobak

Stater2002, the "guy from the workshop" was Tony Hoylen.

Updated On: 12/8/05 at 08:07 PM

Fantabulous428 Profile Photo
Fantabulous428
#13re: Best Roger?
Posted: 12/8/05 at 8:32pm

Kushnier

I recognize the addiction to being alive.

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#14re: Best Roger?
Posted: 12/8/05 at 8:40pm

For all of the bad Marks I've seen, I've been lucky to have seen some really great Rogers.

Personal preference:

1. Adam. Always.
2. Josh Kobak
3. Cary Shields
4. Jeremy Kushnier
5. Manley Pope
6. Sebastian Arcelus

They're all so different, from character interpretations to vocals, so after numero uno it was hard to rank them, but I think that's where I'd put them. Josh had the right balance of pain and anger, for me. Cary was far more subtle, whereas Jeremy is *the* angriest Roger I've ever seen. I like them angry, but he was *scary*. Vocally, I think I prefer Cary to both Josh and Jeremy, though. And Manley was pretty, and quite good, I thought, even though I know I'm in the minority in enjoying his performance. The only one I've seen that I've blatantly disliked is Sebastian. I feel badly, because he's very talented, but he's just not suited to play Roger -- his voice is all wrong.

If you don't know what I think of Adam, you live under a rock. I need to say no more.

A work of art is an invitation to love.
Updated On: 12/8/05 at 08:40 PM

elphieisperky
#15re: Best Roger?
Posted: 12/8/05 at 8:54pm

In this order:
1. Adam-Only saw him in the movie, but I liked what I saw :)
2. Cary Shields-Amazing.
3. Josh Kobak-saw him as Roger last week, not extremely impressed.
Updated On: 12/8/05 at 08:54 PM

kates422
#16re: Best Roger?
Posted: 12/8/05 at 8:57pm

Out of who I've seen....Jeremy Kushnier.

But I do love Adam. Always.

ShuQ Profile Photo
ShuQ
#17re: Best Roger?
Posted: 12/8/05 at 8:59pm

I can't recall the name of the Roger I saw...he was the understudy for Constantine Maroulis on the tour. He was all over the place, no redeeming qualities. Luckily, the Mark was oustanding.

changinandhow Profile Photo
changinandhow
#18re: Best Roger?
Posted: 12/8/05 at 9:06pm

Dan Rosenbaum.

ShuQ Profile Photo
ShuQ
#19re: Best Roger?
Posted: 12/8/05 at 9:12pm

Actually...I just checked, his name was in fact Aaron Tveit....and WHAT A MESS!

AnotherDay46 Profile Photo
AnotherDay46
#20re: Best Roger?
Posted: 12/8/05 at 9:15pm

Loved... ADAM! Of course ^__^

colleen_lee
#21re: Best Roger?
Posted: 12/8/05 at 9:16pm

I love Adam, of course, but the first time I ever really related to and grasped Roger was when I saw Cary Shields. Cary brought more of a vulnerability to the character than I had seen in other portrayals and that made the character seem far more real to me.

"You just can't win. Ever. Look at the bright side, at least you are not stuck in First Wives Club: The Musical. That would really suck. " --Sueleen Gay

hak Profile Photo
hak
#22re: Best Roger?
Posted: 12/8/05 at 9:30pm

3 words: NORBERT LEO BUTZ!!!!

bytheway worst--> manley pope

almostxfamous Profile Photo
almostxfamous
#23re: Best Roger?
Posted: 12/8/05 at 9:32pm

Adam. Definetely.
After him, Dan Rosenbaum. Dan had continuous emotion throughout the entire show and you could feel the emotion exuding off of him, especially during Goodbye,Love. His slamming down of the table was perfect.
Then, Manley Pope. Manley was my first Roger, so we have a bit of a connection. He was very pretty, and not the strongest vocally, but was still good. He had a less rough sounding voice, but was still very good. I remember his chemistry with Karmine being wonderrfullll. I have a recording of the two of them singing 'Without You' from his site, and it is just amazing.

But Adam wins.

MissElphie Profile Photo
MissElphie
#24re: Best Roger?
Posted: 12/8/05 at 9:34pm

double post Updated On: 12/8/05 at 09:34 PM

Videos