pixeltracker

Bway songs that sound blantantly like other songs!- Page 3

Bway songs that sound blantantly like other songs!

peach
#50re: Bway songs that sound blantantly like other songs!
Posted: 12/29/05 at 11:28am

^^ As Long As Your Mine is pretty much No One Mourns The Wicked in a different key. It's most likely intentional!
Updated On: 12/29/05 at 11:28 AM

timote316
#51re: Bway songs that sound blantantly like other songs!
Posted: 12/29/05 at 12:07pm

The beginning of Almost Paradise from Footloose sounds exactly like some other song, but I can't figure it out.

When I saw JCS, I started singing Evita lyrics in my head... it confused me until I realized it was the same tune. Also, "Posh" from Chitty Chitty Bang Bang has the same melody as "Spoonful of Sugar" from MAry Poppins.

Jon
#52re: Bway songs that sound blantantly like other songs!
Posted: 12/29/05 at 12:17pm

The "Tomorrow" melody in "Worst Pies In London" was intentional - Sondheim was poking fun at the biggest hit show on Broadway at the time.

There is a phrase in "You Gotta Die Sometime" from FALSETTOS that's identical to a phrase in "How Many People" from CHESS. The FALSETTOS lyric is "That's it - that's the ballgame". I can't recall the lyric in CHESS, but the melody is identical.

Has anyone mentioned the "Why God Why"/"Small Hotel" similarity? Forbidden Broadway does in their MISS SAIGON parody. What about "Music of the Night" and "Come to Me, Bend to Me"?

Jerry Herman is a master of self-plagiarism. The refrains of "It Takes A Woman" and "We Need A Little Christmas" are almost identical.

"Run Freedom Run" from URINETOWN is similar to "Gonna Build a Mountain" from STOP THE WORLD... I WANT TO GET OFF.

Updated On: 12/29/05 at 12:17 PM

Mother's Younger Brother Profile Photo
Mother's Younger Brother
#53re: Bway songs that sound blantantly like other songs!
Posted: 12/29/05 at 12:18pm

At least half of everything Sondheim has ever written sound the same. Don't get me wrong...it's a good sound. It just all happens to be the SAME sound.
Updated On: 12/29/05 at 12:18 PM

Jon
#54re: Bway songs that sound blantantly like other songs!
Posted: 12/29/05 at 2:54pm

The same four note motif is featured as the title phrase in the following songs:

"I Want It All" from BABY

"It's Not Too Late" from ROMANCE ROMANCE

"A Bit of Earth" from SECRET GARDEN

"This Is The Mo... (ment)" from JECKYLL & HYDE

StageManager2 Profile Photo
StageManager2
#55re: Bway songs that sound blantantly like other songs!
Posted: 12/30/05 at 3:26pm

But isn't "Oh What a Circus" (EVITA) sung to the tune of "Don't Cry For Me Argentina"? I just listened to my JCS recording and I don't see the "Heaven On Their Minds" similarity.

Salve, Regina, Mater misericordiae
Vita, dulcedo, et spes nostra
Salve, Salve Regina
Ad te clamamus exsules filii Eva
Ad te suspiramus, gementes et flentes
O clemens O pia

butterstick Profile Photo
butterstick
#56re: Bway songs that sound blantantly like other songs!
Posted: 12/30/05 at 10:17pm

My sister and I think that Day By Day from Godspell and the Finale from Pippin up to the line "Rivers belong where they can ramble" sound the same, to the point where you can sing Day by Day to the Finale and it will match.

kitkatt456 Profile Photo
kitkatt456
#57re: Bway songs that sound blantantly like other songs!
Posted: 12/30/05 at 10:29pm

Ok, I might be crazy, but when I first started listening to Rent, I remember I thought the beginning music of 'Out Tonight' sounded exactly like the beginning of this Offspring song I had on my computer. Now I can't remember the name of the song and it has been bugging me for so long. Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

Rentaholic2
#58re: Bway songs that sound blantantly like other songs!
Posted: 12/31/05 at 3:09am

"The snippet of music following "I can't believe this is good-bye" from the Rent soundtrack's "Goodbye Love" sounds like "Lean on Me." "

You are of course speaking of the movie version--it is actually playing the opening chords to 'Take Me Or Leave Me' (which is kindof cool thematically, if you think about it)...which does in fact sound a lot like Lean on Me!

I thought of another--the opening music of "Shiksa Godess" in Last Five Years sound like the theme from Sex and the City.

And the other day, I heard a song that sounded exactly like It Takes a Woman from Hello, Dolly! but i can't remember what it was...anyone know what I'm thinking of?

BroadwayRandy0711 Profile Photo
BroadwayRandy0711
#59re: Bway songs that sound blantantly like other songs!
Posted: 12/31/05 at 6:08am

I can't think of one specific song from either show, but when I was walking out of The Woman in White, I was humming songs from Phantom.

freeadmission Profile Photo
freeadmission
#60re: Bway songs that sound blantantly like other songs!
Posted: 12/31/05 at 9:27am

"Fable" is my absolute favorite song from LITP, but the opening drives me CRAZY because it sounds like in Into the Woods opening vamp. ARGH!!!

SweetQintheLights
#61re: Bway songs that sound blantantly like other songs!
Posted: 12/31/05 at 11:56am

"The snippet of music following "I can't believe this is good-bye" from the Rent soundtrack's "Goodbye Love" sounds like "Lean on Me.""

WoW! I found that too and I thought I was crazy!! Now I know that I'm not the only one...re: Bway songs that sound blantantly like other songs!

"How bout a little black dress?"~hannahshule "I have a penis, not a vagina." ~munkustrap178

ALWrules Profile Photo
ALWrules
#62re: Bway songs that sound blantantly like other songs!
Posted: 12/31/05 at 12:12pm

ALW constantly used melodies from shows that didn't do well or didn't get off the ground in his later musicals. For example, in Sunset Boulevard during the middle of " As if we never said Goodbye,"
"I don't want to be alone, that's all in the past. This world's waited long enough; I've come home at last."
Exactly the same tune, key and everything, as the middle eight in "Half a Moment" from By Jeeves.
" Constant spinning memories, spin before my view, like a toy kaliedoscope, images of you."

Keep your morals, I don't have time. Keep your lovers, I'm changing mine! -The Likes of Us

The3DImaxOfMyMind
#63re: Bway songs that sound blantantly like other songs!
Posted: 12/31/05 at 12:30pm

Rentaholic, the song was "We Need A Little Christmas", from "Mame", hahaha I guess he liked that tune or something. Also, parts in Hello, Dolly! where the waiters gallop around the stage, I think is called "Waiters Gallop" :-P, well parts in the music sound almost identical to "La Cage" (Mis-Spelled) lol

I like Charlie Brown's hands... "It's like I'm being tied to the hood of a yellow rental truck, being packed in with fertilizer and fuel oil, pushed over a cliff by a suicidal Mickey Mouse."

dancinfan
#64re: Bway songs that sound blantantly like other songs!
Posted: 12/31/05 at 9:42pm

Any other parents out there?
"I Wanna Be A Producer" sounds very much like a song from The Adventures of Winnie the Pooh (animated film) called "I'm Just a Little Black Rain Cloud." Same chord progression, only slightly different melodies.

neddyfrank2
#65re: Bway songs that sound blantantly like other songs!
Posted: 5/22/06 at 8:05pm

One Day More sound like one of the songs from BIlly Elliot

Not Broadway but, Stick to the Status Quo from High School Musical sounds like You Can't Stop the Beat

jonartdesigns Profile Photo
jonartdesigns
#66re: Bway songs that sound blantantly like other songs!
Posted: 5/22/06 at 8:45pm

theres similar melodies throughout the pajama game and damn yankees, but they're by the same people

"Grease," the fourth revival of the season, is the worst show in the history of theater and represents an unparalleled assault on Western civilization and its values. - Michael Reidel

All_For_Laura Profile Photo
All_For_Laura
#67re: Bway songs that sound blantantly like other songs!
Posted: 5/22/06 at 8:59pm

They don't really sound the same, but I'm Still Here from Follies and I'm Here from TCP have similar titles and give a strong I'M HERE message!

...What happened next, was stranger still, a woman breathless and afraid, appeared out of the night, completely dressed in white. She had a secret she would tell, of one who had mistreated her. Her face and frightened gaze, my mind cannot erase...But then she ran from view. She looked so much like you...

Babyboomer
#68re: Bway songs that sound blantantly like other songs!
Posted: 5/22/06 at 9:18pm

This may be a bit obscure but I swear "All You Have To Do is Wait" from City of Angels has the exact same melody as "Going Going Gone" from Lolita, My Love

TheaterAddict7652
#69re: Bway songs that sound blantantly like other songs!
Posted: 5/22/06 at 9:30pm

whenever i listen to Dance of the Robe (Aida) and when it comes to the part when the slaves are singing, "Aida," I always think of when the Argentinians are singing, "Evita!"

In the Forbidden Broadway parody, the slaves beginning singing "Aida" to the Aida melody, then they start singing it to the Evita melody and then just replace Aida with Evita.

There's a lot I am not certain of...

popular_elphie Profile Photo
popular_elphie
#70re: Bway songs that sound blantantly like other songs!
Posted: 5/22/06 at 9:40pm

The beginning of "Written in the Stars" from Aida reminds me of "Circle of Life" from Lion King.

But I'm probably just odd.

#71re: Bway songs that sound blantantly like other songs!
Posted: 5/22/06 at 9:51pm

There's a swell in the middle of "Come to Jesus" on Audra McDonald's first album that reminds me a lot of "Fable." That's probably because they're written by the same person.

bluesuadeshoes8 Profile Photo
bluesuadeshoes8
#72re: Bway songs that sound blantantly like other songs!
Posted: 5/22/06 at 10:06pm

umm whenever I try to sing "The Speed Test" from Millie I end up somehow singing "Modern Major General" from Pirates of Penzance hahaha

TheaterAddict7652
#73re: Bway songs that sound blantantly like other songs!
Posted: 5/22/06 at 10:08pm

popular_elphie, when I saw Aida, almost everyone came out of the theater humming some Lion King song, including Circle of Life!

There's a lot I am not certain of...

lilprima2b Profile Photo
lilprima2b
#74re: Bway songs that sound blantantly like other songs!
Posted: 5/22/06 at 11:21pm

Bluesuadeshoes8, "Speed Test" is based off of another Gilbert & Sullivan patter song, from Ruddigore. Which explains the similarity =)

"Sawyer, you're going out a youngster, but you've got to come back a star!"

Videos