pixeltracker

Cheno - what's the big deal?- Page 3

Cheno - what's the big deal?

children&art Profile Photo
children&art
#50re: Cheno - what's the big deal?
Posted: 12/29/05 at 7:58pm

"I would LOVE to hear the topic-starter sing any song, let alone high E's, and would love to see what their body looks like..."

okay, read much? i have said that i'm not a chick and i am not a performer - i do work in theatre (stage management, directing, writing) so i think i can have an opinion of my own about someone's talent - or lack thereof in Cheno's case.

Don't f*ck with me fellas. This ain't my first time at the rodeo.

KChenowethfan Profile Photo
KChenowethfan
#51re: Cheno - what's the big deal?
Posted: 12/29/05 at 7:59pm

I am a Kristin fan, and have been so for many years (prior to Wicked). I get that she is not everyone's cup of tea, and I don't think she is the best thing to happen to Broadway ever. However, when you start to say things like "too classically trained for musicals", I have to question the validity of your critique. I shudder to think what Broadway would be like if the only talent were pure belters, with a pop-edge. Training should never be considered a downfall, and if you are speaking of the Glinda role, I believe the score calls for some legit singing, and at a pretty high octave.

"Why do you care what people might say? Why try to fit into their design?" (Side Show)

Elphaba3 Profile Photo
Elphaba3
#52re: Cheno - what's the big deal?
Posted: 12/29/05 at 8:06pm

Children&art, are you going to acknowledge my comments (and possibly apologize) or ignore me? What I said was worth responding to.

StephanietheStar Profile Photo
StephanietheStar
#53re: Cheno - what's the big deal?
Posted: 12/29/05 at 8:07pm

Children&Art, I don't give a crap if you're a tranny, I wouldn't judge people if you have nothing better to offer.

and all that I could do because of you was talk of love...

TheBalladeer Profile Photo
TheBalladeer
#54re: Cheno - what's the big deal?
Posted: 12/29/05 at 8:16pm

Honestly, I don't think children&art knows what he is talking about, I am not going to re-tread everything everyone else has said, but I find Kristin to be extremely talented, funny, and a terrific actress. She was great in Wicked, and it was definitely HER show. She was the one that had everyone in stiches, and moved the show along, and brought life on that stage. Idina is a great singer, but she tended to be boring at times, and overacted in some instances. I think it is unfair to base your opinion of someone's talent based on their appearance, and other factors that they cannot change. That is just ridiculous. I am glad that Kristin has gotten, and is still getting all the exposure that she deserves.

Cheers,

The Balladeer

"Someone tell the story...Someone sing the song...."

children&art
#55re: Cheno - what's the big deal?
Posted: 12/29/05 at 8:24pm

"Children&art, are you going to acknowledge my comments (and possibly apologize) or ignore me? What I said was worth responding to."

No, this thread isnt about you Elphaba, it's about Cheno.

YouWantitWhen???? Profile Photo
YouWantitWhen????
#56re: Cheno - what's the big deal?
Posted: 12/29/05 at 8:27pm

Man, this board is getting snarkier and nastier by the day.

Happy Freaking Holidays indeed.
Updated On: 12/29/05 at 08:27 PM

Elphaba3 Profile Photo
Elphaba3
#57re: Cheno - what's the big deal?
Posted: 12/29/05 at 8:28pm

By calling Kristin's body freakish, you are calling my body freakish as well. So you damn well did make it about me. I don't care if you think Kristin is scum, but you do owe me an apology.

Updated On: 12/29/05 at 08:28 PM

jasobres
#58re: Cheno - what's the big deal?
Posted: 12/29/05 at 8:33pm

Look, I love Cheno because she is the revival of the definition of the musical comedy actress that was started by people such as Fanny Brice and Ethel Merman.

"Ev'ry-buddy wants ta get into de act!" - Jimmy Durante "Breathe from your hoo-hoo." -Kristin Chenoweth

YouWantitWhen???? Profile Photo
YouWantitWhen????
#59re: Cheno - what's the big deal?
Posted: 12/29/05 at 8:34pm

Elphaba, consider the source and ignore the comment.

billygoatgirl300
#60re: Cheno - what's the big deal?
Posted: 12/29/05 at 8:37pm

I thought Kristin should have won the Tony over Idina (acutally Donna Murphy should have won but that is another topic). I just think Kristin is a wonderful performer.

The towel waving reminded me of a Per?nist rally. I kept chanting "Evita!" whenever they'd pan to the crowds. - SM2
Updated On: 12/29/05 at 08:37 PM

jasobres
#61re: Cheno - what's the big deal?
Posted: 12/29/05 at 8:38pm

Whoever started this topic obviously has not heard her first album, "Let Yourself Go." If you really want to know what the big deal is, listen to it and see for yourself.

"Ev'ry-buddy wants ta get into de act!" - Jimmy Durante "Breathe from your hoo-hoo." -Kristin Chenoweth

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#62re: Cheno - what's the big deal?
Posted: 12/29/05 at 8:41pm

Children&Art, I'm not trying to attack you, I'm trying to understand your opinion a little bit. Do you really think that having a small body and an annoying voice hinders someone's ability to have the talent necessary to star in a Broadway show?
Do you think someone that was compared to Bernadette Peters by the head New York Times theater critic lacks all sorts of talent? Do you think someone that was chosen to open a $14 million show on Broadway along with Idina Menzel (hardly a bankable name herself before Wicked) does not have any talent? I think Chenoweth deserves some credit, I think she's a versatile musical theatre actress and I hope she doesn't leave Broadway for LA.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

Jwei123 Profile Photo
Jwei123
#63re: Cheno - what's the big deal?
Posted: 12/29/05 at 8:45pm

Children&art-

I respect the fact that you're stating your opinions, but I don't agree with them

How many grown women in their 30s do you know that rely on cute to get them by, it doesnt work

...Two tony nods, one win, several broadway hits, two CDs, a tv show, commercials, and countless public appearances, later...

awkward.

"I think it was the Korean tour or something. They were all frickin' asian!" -Zoran912

BWAYboi_yes Profile Photo
BWAYboi_yes
#64re: Cheno - what's the big deal?
Posted: 12/29/05 at 8:50pm

Y'all, my friend Peggy is sooooo much better than Kristen. I mean, the only reason Kristen ever gets cast is because she just, you know, knows the right people. Real theatre people know that she's like, not good *Cheeto crunch.* It's so political. I mean, like, *Cheeto crunch* what's the big deal?

Roninjoey Profile Photo
Roninjoey
#65re: Cheno - what's the big deal?
Posted: 12/29/05 at 8:59pm

Aigoo, your revision was nice in intent, but I think calling "The Apple Tree" wonderful was much more effective :)

Children&art, you're obviously entitled to your own opinion. If you get on a free message board and post it, expect to be forced to stand up for it. While yes, this board gets very nasty at times (Ljay, did you really need to declare this person the most annoying poster?), I'm forced to agree that you have made some very unintelligent comments.

For one thing, how can any actor or actress possibly be too classically trained? Are we now excluding legitimate singers, who for so long formed the backbone of the musical theater, from being able to perform on Broadway? As someone pointed out, must it become American Idol? 24 clones of "Brooklyn" premiering each season? Uck. Count me out. That would be a pretty bleak Broadway. To quote billygoatgirl, Barbara Cook, I'm assuming you like her, would have to be disqualified. Audra McDonald gone. All because their technique is so awfully, terribly good.

I'm sorry. That's just a stupid thing to say. Coming from someone who apparently enjoys Sondheim so much, you want to hear the good music but not the good singing? You get stupider when you do things like compare her to Gwen Verdon, who was not nearly the singer Kristin is, and wait... Carol Channing? Idina Menzel? For that matter, these people are completely different!

Don't make stupid comments. Please. As fun as it is to argue :

Kristin Chenoweth is considered by many to be one of the best actors working on Broadway today, a critical darling and audience favorite, and one of the best voices too. I agree with that statement. I think she's phenomenal, versatile, and subtle. And I'm trying to refrain from overpraise. Does anybody remember the existence of a little word called subtlety? Without naming names Kristin could teach more than a few of some favorite actors all about it.

Personally, I think it's just popular to hate on Kristin because she's gotten the kind of success she has. But you know what? For once success is going to the right person.

yr ronin,
joey

Aigoo Profile Photo
Aigoo
#66re: Cheno - what's the big deal?
Posted: 12/29/05 at 9:04pm

As much as I love Idina and Sutton, they are nowhere near the caliber as some of the other women on that list.

And ronin, if I just kept everything word for word, it wouldn't be a revision would it? re: Cheno - what's the big deal?

...and then she opens her mouth and she is absolutely magnetic. You can't take your eyes off of her...and she is complete joy to watch... It's one of those THINGS...

Good words.

This is my signature.
Updated On: 12/29/05 at 09:04 PM

greenegirl87
#67re: Cheno - what's the big deal?
Posted: 12/29/05 at 9:04pm

But you know what? For once success is going to the right person.

I agree with you there Roninjoey, your post echoed a lot of my thoughts while reading this thread. Kristin does deserve all of the praise she is getting... and this is coming from a diehard Idina fan :]

"But now the air is filled with confusion. We replace care with illusion."

perfectlypink3 Profile Photo
perfectlypink3
#68re: Cheno - what's the big deal?
Posted: 12/29/05 at 9:10pm

Amen! I am so glad Y'all are standing up for what you believe in as well. Weather or not you think Kristin is a good preformer, she still deserves some good ole fashion R-E-S-P-E-C-T!

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

children&art
#69re: Cheno - what's the big deal?
Posted: 12/29/05 at 9:15pm

"Elphaba, consider the source and ignore the comment."

This thread is about an actress, someone none of us knows except by what we see on stage.

I may have said some things people didnt agree with, about Cheno, but come on - attacking me as a person, wtf? You dont know me, and I dont know you.

Stick to the subject: CHENO.

greenegirl87
#70re: Cheno - what's the big deal?
Posted: 12/29/05 at 9:15pm

Perfectly, your avatar is adorable.

"But now the air is filled with confusion. We replace care with illusion."

children&art
#71re: Cheno - what's the big deal?
Posted: 12/29/05 at 9:22pm

this bears reposting:

This thread is about an actress, someone none of us knows except by what we see on stage.

I may have said some things people didnt agree with, about Cheno, but come on - attacking me as a person, wtf? You dont know me, and I dont know you.

AJ--Law Profile Photo
AJ--Law
#72re: Cheno - what's the big deal?
Posted: 12/29/05 at 9:24pm

Yesterday I saw a comment posted by our topic starter and already had the vision that a thread like this was very likely to happen eventually.

To simply answer the question: She is a big deal.

children&art
#73re: Cheno - what's the big deal?
Posted: 12/29/05 at 9:30pm

this bears reposting:

billygoatgirl300
#74re: Cheno - what's the big deal?
Posted: 12/29/05 at 9:36pm

"As much as I love Idina and Sutton, they are nowhere near the caliber as some of the other women on that list." Thank you some one argees with me! Where is Mari Nixon and that list?

The towel waving reminded me of a Per?nist rally. I kept chanting "Evita!" whenever they'd pan to the crowds. - SM2

Videos