pixeltracker

And the 2006 Tony Awards Host is...- Page 3

And the 2006 Tony Awards Host is...

outovfashion07
#50re: And the 2006 Tony Awards Host is...
Posted: 1/18/06 at 4:05pm

I like the idea of the Will & Grace cast hosting, it would be priceless.

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#51re: And the 2006 Tony Awards Host is...
Posted: 1/18/06 at 4:11pm

It would be STUPID.

I want Queen Latifah to host.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

keggss23 Profile Photo
keggss23
#52re: And the 2006 Tony Awards Host is...
Posted: 1/18/06 at 4:12pm

Add me to the Oprah bandwagon. Love her. Practically everything she touches turns to gold and I think she would give the ratings a much needed boost.

"When you're a Jet, / You're a Jet all the way, / From your first pirouette / To your last grand jete." --Brian Kaman

Kitzarina Profile Photo
Kitzarina
#53re: And the 2006 Tony Awards Host is...
Posted: 1/18/06 at 4:14pm

Alan Cumming, Megan Mullally, or Sarah Jessica Parker. Because I love all three of them and would tune in just to watch them being their fabulous selves, no matter how dull the ceremony was.

"You're the worst thing to happen to musical theatre since Andrew Lloyd Webber!" --Family Guy

"Shut up! It's been 29 years!!!" --the incomparable Patti LuPone in her MUCH DESERVED Tony acceptance speech for Gypsy.

Kitzy's Avatar du Jour: Kitzy as Little Red Ridinghood in her college's production of "Into the Woods"

munkustrap178
#54re: And the 2006 Tony Awards Host is...
Posted: 1/18/06 at 4:16pm

Sarah Jessica Parker is a very good choice - and I think if offered, she would do it.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

Ourtime992 Profile Photo
Ourtime992
#55re: And the 2006 Tony Awards Host is...
Posted: 1/18/06 at 4:16pm

I don't necessarily feel that Oprah is the ideal host for the awards, just that she is the most likely, and she would undoubtedly bring ratings with her.

The ratings could hardly go down. Frankly, they have been down for a reason -- the last 10 years have all sucked. Compare your tapes of the Tonys in the 80s and early 90s to those of recent years. The musical numbers have been getting shorter and shorter, the plays have been getting less and less exposure, and there is NO razzle-dazzle in the proceedings at all. The Oscars have their glamour, but the Tonys ought to blow the roof off of them with the showmanship our stars are capable of. And I'm not talking about that Oscar-wannabe business with the red carpet last year. I'm talking about putting those divas on the stage where they can shine.

Further, a number of awards have been added (special theatrical event, separate design awards for musicals and plays) while the time allotted the show has gotten smaller and tighter. The elimination of the PBS portion of the show makes it that much harder to cram it all in.

So now what do you get? A corny opening number, a forced opening dialogue, rushed acceptance speeches, two-minute musical numbers, and cameo appearances by TV and movie stars who haven't been on a stage in years, made obvious by how nervous and unnatural they are at Radio City.

Which is why, in a sense at least, I hope Oprah does host. Her lack of musical talent means no opening number to shoehorn her into and, and her lack of comic talent means no forced opening dialogue. She promotes the show all week, brings in a new audience, then gets the hell out of the way so we can see a decent number from The Color Purple and Jersey Boys.

This post was never meant to be so long or rant as it did...funny how those things just happen!

bschneid76 Profile Photo
bschneid76
#56re: And the 2006 Tony Awards Host is...
Posted: 1/18/06 at 4:36pm

Has Oprah ever hosted any kind of awards show? I don't think it would be a good idea. I saw the Tony's with Hugh and liked him the first time, but the second time was dull. Let's get Bea Arthur and Angela Lansbury!

"Love the Art in Yourself. Not Yourself in the Art." -- Stanislavski

keggss23 Profile Photo
keggss23
#57re: And the 2006 Tony Awards Host is...
Posted: 1/18/06 at 4:37pm

Ourtime - I couldn't agree with you more. The Tony's need ratings and no matter how unfair it is, the Hollywood celebrities will bring viewers.

"When you're a Jet, / You're a Jet all the way, / From your first pirouette / To your last grand jete." --Brian Kaman

boxers7 Profile Photo
boxers7
#58re: And the 2006 Tony Awards Host is...
Posted: 1/18/06 at 5:35pm

Better yet, bschneid let's get The Golden Girls to host! It'll be good publicity for the opening of Wicked across the pond. We know Betty and Rue can tap, they did it in Dorothy's hospital bed when she got hurt! I think it's ideal. Let 'em perform an Avenue Q medley too! Ratings through the roof!

"I don't wanna see that!" -Aunt Sassy (as played by Valerie Cherish) on Room & Bored

popcultureboy Profile Photo
popcultureboy
#59re: And the 2006 Tony Awards Host is...
Posted: 1/18/06 at 5:53pm

oprah will be hosting the tony's. I guarantee it. They already want her to do it really badly.

You can guarantee nothing, and you know even less.

I think a repeat of the 1999 no host approach is best. Hugh did a really poor job last year I thought and I hope he doesn't do it again. While there are some great ideas suggested here, as Nathan and Matthew demonstrated, sometimes the funniest pairing on Broadway can be hung out to dry by poor writing.

Nothing precious, plain to see, don't make a fuss over me. Not loud, not soft, but somewhere inbetween. Say sorry, just let it be the word you mean.

Ourtime992 Profile Photo
Ourtime992
#60re: And the 2006 Tony Awards Host is...
Posted: 1/18/06 at 6:25pm

which is why Dave Yazbek should write the whole thing, and NOT Bruce Vilanch

Kitzarina Profile Photo
Kitzarina
#61re: And the 2006 Tony Awards Host is...
Posted: 1/18/06 at 6:35pm

How about Carol Channing and LL Cool J pair up again? That was pure magic re: And the 2006 Tony Awards Host is...

"You're the worst thing to happen to musical theatre since Andrew Lloyd Webber!" --Family Guy

"Shut up! It's been 29 years!!!" --the incomparable Patti LuPone in her MUCH DESERVED Tony acceptance speech for Gypsy.

Kitzy's Avatar du Jour: Kitzy as Little Red Ridinghood in her college's production of "Into the Woods"

everythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
#62re: And the 2006 Tony Awards Host is...
Posted: 1/18/06 at 8:09pm

Alan Cumming, Megan Mullally, or Sarah Jessica Parker. Because I love all three of them and would tune in just to watch them being their fabulous selves, no matter how dull the ceremony was.

Unfortunately, kitz, we would be the only ones. We have to face facts that aside from us theatre folks, it'll be adult women who will be watching the show and bringing in ratings, because they in the end are the audience that must be catered to most in selling tickets (Spamalot the big exception) because they'll be making the decisions when bringing their husbands and/or families and/or friends for theatre trips.

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008

munkustrap178
#63re: And the 2006 Tony Awards Host is...
Posted: 1/18/06 at 10:28pm

You don't think Oprah would bring viewers? If she went on her show and said "See me host the Tony's this sunday on CBS" she would get millions.

Plum
#64re: And the 2006 Tony Awards Host is...
Posted: 1/18/06 at 10:30pm

Oprah's style doesn't mesh with awards-show hosting in my opinion, but she'd get the ratings up for sure. Her viewers follow her like sheep.

munkustrap178
#65re: And the 2006 Tony Awards Host is...
Posted: 1/18/06 at 10:32pm

Of course, Plum. I think Oprah is very funny...but she's funny in a way that probably can't carry an award show.

I'm still swearing by Queen Latifah re: And the 2006 Tony Awards Host is...

broadwaygal3
#66re: And the 2006 Tony Awards Host is...
Posted: 1/18/06 at 11:06pm

Rosie is the last person I want to see host the Tonys again!
I can't stand her! She is obnoxious and overbearing!

Oprah is probably a good choice to bring in the ratings,
but I would rather see someone from Broadway. (not Rosie!)

broadwaygal3
#67re: And the 2006 Tony Awards Host is...
Posted: 1/18/06 at 11:14pm

Of course Hugh's fan base watched the Tonys for the past three years that Hugh has hosted, and a lot of us were there in the
audience, too!

DreamFlyer22 Profile Photo
DreamFlyer22
#68re: And the 2006 Tony Awards Host is...
Posted: 1/18/06 at 11:22pm

Ugh. Am I the only one who DIDN'T like the "team-host" approach in 1999? It was so fragmented and unfocused... coupled with that horrid 'play medley'... I think I'd take another year of Hugh Jackman over a group of pseudo-hosts ever again.

*~* Every time you double-post, God kills a kitten. *~*

Kay, the Thread-Jacking Jedi
Quando omni flunkus moritati (When all else fails, play dead...)

"... chasin' the music. Trying to get home."

Peter Gregus: "Where are my house right ladies?!"
(love you, girls! - 6/13/06)

Mutts
#69re: And the 2006 Tony Awards Host is...
Posted: 1/18/06 at 11:25pm

Hugh Jackman has presided over the three lowest rated Tonys in history and it seemed by last year that many people had had their fill of him as host. If it's talk show hosts they're looking for how about Regis Philbin. He seems to actually go to the theater. It's the 60th Anniversary this year so whoever they get to host, let's hope they do a better job of celebrating the occassion than they did in 1996.

alli2
#71re: And the 2006 Tony Awards Host is...
Posted: 1/19/06 at 2:13am

ugh, god, no, no oprah. i think she would be boring.

MICHAEL BALL, i think he'd be charming.

or john lithgow i think would be hysterical!

munkustrap178
#72re: And the 2006 Tony Awards Host is...
Posted: 1/19/06 at 2:41am

Being that it's the 60th, they might go for an old-school approach. I'd love to see someone like Carol Burnett do it as well.

jasobres
#73re: And the 2006 Tony Awards Host is...
Posted: 1/19/06 at 7:30am

I still don't think there should be a host this year.

"Ev'ry-buddy wants ta get into de act!" - Jimmy Durante "Breathe from your hoo-hoo." -Kristin Chenoweth

popcultureboy Profile Photo
popcultureboy
#74re: And the 2006 Tony Awards Host is...
Posted: 1/19/06 at 7:46am

Wait, I thought the 60th was NEXT year?

Nothing precious, plain to see, don't make a fuss over me. Not loud, not soft, but somewhere inbetween. Say sorry, just let it be the word you mean.

BrookArtsCenter Profile Photo
BrookArtsCenter
#75re: And the 2006 Tony Awards Host is...
Posted: 1/19/06 at 1:27pm

Co-Hosts: Jackie Mason and Julia Roberts -- I don't particularly like him, but he can handle a joke and the two would bring an interesting cross-section of audience

OR

Have the cast of a Bway show host the show in character (for instance, Avenue Q or Spelling Bee)

Just a wild and weird idea...

-------------------- Brook Arts Center closed due to flooding from April 2007 Nor'easter. Watch www.brookarts.org for more info.

Videos