pixeltracker

And the 2006 Tony Awards Host is...

And the 2006 Tony Awards Host is...

FOAnatic Profile Photo
FOAnatic
#0And the 2006 Tony Awards Host is...
Posted: 1/17/06 at 2:20pm

OPRAH WINFREY!

Just kidding. But seriously...who do you think should host this year?

"I love talking about nothing. It is the only thing I know anything about." - Oscar Wilde

CostumeMistress Profile Photo
CostumeMistress
#1.
Posted: 1/17/06 at 2:21pm

Avatar - Isaac, my blue-fronted Amazon parrot. Adopted 9/7/07. Age 30 (my pet is older than me!)
Updated On: 2/3/06 at 02:21 PM

FOAnatic Profile Photo
FOAnatic
#2re: And the 2006 Tony Awards Host is...
Posted: 1/17/06 at 2:23pm

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

I wonder if the committee will try and get Julia Roberts to host this year.

"I love talking about nothing. It is the only thing I know anything about." - Oscar Wilde

popcultureboy Profile Photo
popcultureboy
#3re: And the 2006 Tony Awards Host is...
Posted: 1/17/06 at 2:24pm

I doubt they'd waste their efforts, personally.

Nothing precious, plain to see, don't make a fuss over me. Not loud, not soft, but somewhere inbetween. Say sorry, just let it be the word you mean.

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#4re: And the 2006 Tony Awards Host is...
Posted: 1/17/06 at 2:24pm

I would imagine they would try very hard to get Oprah to do it. She'd bring lots of people to the broadcast and would plug it on her show.

This would be a very smart move on the part of the League and the Wing.
Updated On: 1/17/06 at 02:24 PM

Princeton78 Profile Photo
Princeton78
#5re: And the 2006 Tony Awards Host is...
Posted: 1/17/06 at 2:31pm

Plus, it would look odd when late in the night, she opens up the final envelope and says "And the Tony for best musical goes to...me."

"Y'all have a GRAND day now"

Pippin Profile Photo
Pippin
#6re: And the 2006 Tony Awards Host is...
Posted: 1/17/06 at 2:31pm

If not Oprah, I could see Harry Connick, Jr. doing it, but he would be so "stiff" as a host IMO. I would like to see Alan Cumming and Cyndi
Lauper co-host the awards. it would be great publicity, and Cyndi Lauper is a big enough name with a large fan base to carry the show.

"I'm an American, Damnit!!! And if it's three things I don't believe in, it's quitting and math."
Updated On: 1/17/06 at 02:31 PM

FOAnatic Profile Photo
FOAnatic
#7re: And the 2006 Tony Awards Host is...
Posted: 1/17/06 at 2:33pm

How could I forget Lauper? Her and Cumming would be great co-hosts.

I still wonder abour Julia, though.

everythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
#8re: And the 2006 Tony Awards Host is...
Posted: 1/17/06 at 2:33pm

The only person that would give them ratings is Oprah, plain and simple.

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008

popcultureboy Profile Photo
popcultureboy
#9re: And the 2006 Tony Awards Host is...
Posted: 1/17/06 at 2:35pm

Oprah won't be hosting though, plain and simple. Alan Cumming and Cyndi Lauper is not a bad idea though.

Nothing precious, plain to see, don't make a fuss over me. Not loud, not soft, but somewhere inbetween. Say sorry, just let it be the word you mean.

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#10re: And the 2006 Tony Awards Host is...
Posted: 1/17/06 at 2:40pm

There is no way Oprah will host. It's weird that they would even ask her...even weirder than Hugh Jackman winning the year he hosted.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

MagicToDo82 Profile Photo
MagicToDo82
#11re: And the 2006 Tony Awards Host is...
Posted: 1/17/06 at 3:03pm

They should get Hank Azaria and David Hyde Pierce. Great potential with those two.

There's always room for pathos - and jazz hands.

Ourtime992 Profile Photo
Ourtime992
#12re: And the 2006 Tony Awards Host is...
Posted: 1/17/06 at 3:06pm

Nathan Lane also won when he hosted in 1996.

All indicators point to them courting Oprah, though I personally doubt she'd want to do it. It's just not her type of program to be at the front of.

mentaltenant Profile Photo
mentaltenant
#13re: And the 2006 Tony Awards Host is...
Posted: 1/17/06 at 3:16pm

i bet they won't even think of Cyndi Lauper and Alan Cumming though, it's a great idea though.

I could see them doing something like the duo we're all getting a little sick of (Lane/Broderick) or something lame like that haha

Ourtime992 Profile Photo
Ourtime992
#14re: And the 2006 Tony Awards Host is...
Posted: 1/17/06 at 3:24pm

Lane has hosted numerous times, and the only time I found him completely unfunny was when he cohosted with Broderick.

Which reminds me that Lane won a Tony THAT year as well.

Maybe he should do. He seems to get a lot of awards that way.

dancingthrulife04 Profile Photo
dancingthrulife04
#15re: And the 2006 Tony Awards Host is...
Posted: 1/17/06 at 3:28pm

I don't really know what would qualify someone to host, but I'd love to see Billy Crystal do it.

If not, I'd have to agree with Hank Azaria and David Hyde Pierce.

http://www.beintheheights.com/katnicole1 (Please click and help me win!) I chose, and my world was shaken- So what?
The choice may have been mistaken, The choosing was not...
"Every day has the potential to be the greatest day of your life." - Lin-Manuel Miranda
"And when Idina Menzel is singing, I'm always slightly worried that her teeth are going to jump out of her mouth and chase me." - Schmerg_the_Impaler

cserannie
#16re: And the 2006 Tony Awards Host is...
Posted: 1/17/06 at 4:19pm

norbert and john

Norbert Leo Butz quotes about John Lithgow: "He's really clumsy. One of the joys in life is to watch a great big huge man totally wipe out backstage. It takes John about three minutes to hit the floor. It's like watching a Great Sequoia falling gracelessly."

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#17re: And the 2006 Tony Awards Host is...
Posted: 1/17/06 at 5:08pm

If Oprah were to host, she'd probably give away loads of free crap like she does on her show.
"Oprah's Favorite Things...at the Tonys!" Ha ha! It's so lame, but I couldn't resist.

Broadway_Boy
#18re: And the 2006 Tony Awards Host is...
Posted: 1/17/06 at 6:04pm

oprah will be hosting the tony's. I guarantee it. They already want her to do it really badly.

Check out the app Todaytix if you haven't already for theatre tickets around the world. My referral code is DGHVR

Phantom2 Profile Photo
Phantom2
#19re: And the 2006 Tony Awards Host is...
Posted: 1/17/06 at 6:08pm

This year's Tony Awards has Oprah written all over it. I'd bet my bottom dollar.

"I'm learning to dig deep down inside and find the truth within myself and put that out. I think what we identify with in popular music more than anything else is when someone just shares a truth that we can relate to. That's what I'm searching for in my music." - Ron Bohmer

"I broke the boundaries. It wasn't cool to be in plays- especially if you were in sports & I was in both." - Ashton Kutcher

Katurian2 Profile Photo
Katurian2
#20re: And the 2006 Tony Awards Host is...
Posted: 1/17/06 at 6:08pm

OH PLEASE, MOST KIND GOD, NOOO!

"Are you sorry for civilization? I am sorry for it too." ~Coast of Utopia: Shipwreck

Phantom2 Profile Photo
Phantom2
#21re: And the 2006 Tony Awards Host is...
Posted: 1/17/06 at 6:13pm

I'm sure she would wear the most fabulous gown. Loved the one she had on for The Color Purple opening. She really knows how to go somewhere in style.

Oprah- If Stedman is unavailable, call me!

"I'm learning to dig deep down inside and find the truth within myself and put that out. I think what we identify with in popular music more than anything else is when someone just shares a truth that we can relate to. That's what I'm searching for in my music." - Ron Bohmer

"I broke the boundaries. It wasn't cool to be in plays- especially if you were in sports & I was in both." - Ashton Kutcher
Updated On: 1/17/06 at 06:13 PM

RentBoy86
#22re: And the 2006 Tony Awards Host is...
Posted: 1/17/06 at 6:15pm

If Oprah hosts then Color Purple will win for Best Musical - plain and simple. It seems almost cruel to ask someone whose backing or supporting a certain show and then have them not win.

Ourtime992 Profile Photo
Ourtime992
#23re: And the 2006 Tony Awards Host is...
Posted: 1/17/06 at 6:16pm

I can see an Oprah hosted show working out nicely. Because she's not a comedian, they could cut all that crap and use the time for more musical numbers.

Roninjoey Profile Photo
Roninjoey
#24re: And the 2006 Tony Awards Host is...
Posted: 1/17/06 at 6:23pm

I don't see why Oprah couldn't host. It's a pretty arbitrary role in the awards ceremony. How is Julia Roberts better than Oprah?

yr ronin,
joey

Videos