2007 tony predictions

FosseBoi
#50re: 2007 tony predictions
Posted: 6/13/06 at 3:49pm

Thank you Margo!re: 2007 tony predictions

"I've always secretly longed for an actress to get to the top of the cherry picker and projectile vomit all over the guards below."- Wonderwaiter in the "Defy Gravity?" thread. ~~~~~~~~My dream? Sutton Foster as Cassie in A Chorus Line

TheatreDiva612 Profile Photo
TheatreDiva612
#51re: 2007 tony predictions
Posted: 6/13/06 at 4:16pm

How are we supposed to make 2007 Tony Predictions...

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#52re: 2007 tony predictions
Posted: 6/13/06 at 4:20pm

If you don't know how, don't try.

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

AshleyBrownFan123 Profile Photo
AshleyBrownFan123
#53re: 2007 tony predictions
Posted: 6/13/06 at 7:47pm

Best Musical
Times They Are A Changing-Athkinson
Mary Poppins-New Amstredam
The Pirate Queen
Grey Gardens-Walter Kerr

Best Revival of a Musical
A Chorus Line-Schoenfeld
Company
Les Miserables-Broadhurst

Best Actress
Audra McDonald
Charlotte D’Amboise
Ashley Brown
Stephanie J. Block
Christine Ebersole

Best Actor
Jeff McCarthy
Michael Beresse
Raul Esparaza
Gavin Lee
Alexander Gegmnani

Best Replacement
Donny Osmond, Beauty and the Beast
Judy Kaye, Sweeny Todd
Isabel Keating, Hairspray

Let us milk the cow that is theatre-Monica Trausch

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#54re: 2007 tony predictions
Posted: 6/13/06 at 8:04pm

Just to update your list, AhsleyBrownfan, Company has announced that it will run at the Barrymore theatre. Also, Judy Kaye will probably not be considered, as I don't see her being in Sweeney for 6 months, assuming it stays open that long. But perhaps Leah Hocking in Mamma Mia!, just because she is Leah Hocking?

jensen11us2 Profile Photo
jensen11us2
#55re: 2007 tony predictions
Posted: 6/13/06 at 8:19pm

Twyla Tharp best choreography

shesamarshmallow
#56re: 2007 tony predictions
Posted: 6/13/06 at 8:37pm

I thought the buzz from Curtains was good? Why are so few of you predicting that it will come to Broadway and succeed?

On a similar note, I doubt anyone after last years' Tonys saw any of these shows coming.

broadwayunderstudies.com - most underrated performers on broadway

somethingwicked Profile Photo
somethingwicked
#57re: 2007 tony predictions
Posted: 6/13/06 at 8:53pm

What about the "South Pacific" revival coming from the team behind "Piazza"?

Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Tony Kushner: You can sing it at my funeral.

Lady Italy Profile Photo
Lady Italy
#58re: 2007 tony predictions
Posted: 6/14/06 at 2:21am

I'm predicting that "The Pirate Queen" will take best musical. If you check out the website you can see a video clip of some of the orchstration. Sounds pretty amazing.

I've also heard that the costuming and sets are magnificent!!!!

Best Actress in a Musical....who else but Stephanie J. Block!!!

bjivie2 Profile Photo
bjivie2
#59re: 2007 tony predictions
Posted: 6/14/06 at 2:46am

BEST MUSICAL POSSIBILITIES
The Times Are A Changin'
Mary Poppins
The Pirate Queen
Grey Gardens
Legally Blonde
High Fidelity
A Tale of Two Cities
Cry Baby
Curtains
Billy Elliot (is this coming in 06-07 or 07-08?)
Martin Short (though may be considered a Special Theatrical Event)
Princesses (I believe they're still looking for a theatre)
**Based on these I would say the gurantees are Mary Poppins, Billy Elliot and Grey Gardens. The rest all depend on their critical/audience response**

MUSICAL REVIVAL POSSIBILITIES
Les Miserables
A Chorus Line
Company
110 in the Shade
South Pacific
The Wiz (don't know what the status is)
**The race is between Chorus Line and Company to win. I wouldn't be surprised to see Les Mis left out b/c it's a remounting of the tour.**

Eeeeeeyyyyyyyyaaaaaaaannnnnddddd aaaaaaaiiiiiiiiyyyyyyaaaaaammmmmmmm teeeeeeeelllllliiiiiinnngg yyyyooooooouuuuuuuwwwaaaahh...

wickedmenzel318 Profile Photo
wickedmenzel318
#60re: 2007 tony predictions
Posted: 6/14/06 at 11:35am

You all know how Tony voters vote. Especially on leading actress so I think I will go to Stephanie just because she is a sort of new comer with a great voice and a great part. Think Idina two years ago.

broadwayfan12 Profile Photo
broadwayfan12
#61re: 2007 tony predictions
Posted: 6/14/06 at 11:40am

i think Mary Poppins, Tarzan, A Chorus Line, and Les Mis will get some awards.

Sierra Boggess is made of awesome!

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#62re: 2007 tony predictions
Posted: 6/14/06 at 11:44am

You left off Michael Arden
AshleyBrownfan

He will be socko in THE TIMES!

MargoChanning
#63re: 2007 tony predictions
Posted: 6/14/06 at 11:47am

Then how do you explain LaChanze -- who made her Broadway debut 20 years ago and got her first Tony nod 15 years ago -- winning this year? Or a veteran like Victoria Clark who had a half dozen Broadway credits to her name prior to winning two years ago?

Anyone who's seen Grey Gardens knows Christine Ebersole is a mortal lock to win Best Actress next year, regardless of who else is in the category. Ben Brantley and several others have called it one of the greatest performances in the history of the musical theatre, so frankly everyone else in the category is irrelevant.

"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney

Popular Profile Photo
Popular
#64re: 2007 tony predictions
Posted: 6/14/06 at 11:51am

"Irrelevant???" That's a pretty offensive and harsh word there, Margo. Surely even the actors that don't get nominated are relevant.
Updated On: 6/14/06 at 11:51 AM

wickedmenzel318
#65re: 2007 tony predictions
Posted: 6/14/06 at 11:53am

Ya but everyone said that about Tonya Pinkins (SP?) in caroline or change. So I don't know. I just hope whoever is better wins that is it. I was just making a point not trying to make an argument but Stephanie time to shine is coming and I am so happy for her because she is amazing not that the others are not.

WithoutATrace Profile Photo
WithoutATrace
#66re: 2007 tony predictions
Posted: 6/14/06 at 11:54am

Wow. Next year's best actress race is going to be so tight.

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#67re: 2007 tony predictions
Posted: 6/14/06 at 12:05pm

How bout this about THE TIMES THEY ARE A'CHANGIN"

"A concert or theare-goer could look far and wide and never come up with a young man possessed of such rock-the -house potential as Michael Arden who belts out song after song with the full confidence and assurence of a man ethused with a valuble gift"
(L.A. Daily News)

OK it's L.A. , but still....
Updated On: 7/4/06 at 12:05 PM

MargoChanning
#68re: 2007 tony predictions
Posted: 6/14/06 at 12:27pm

I don't remember ANYONE calling Pinkins a lock for the Tony and in fact after Donna Murphy won the Drama Desk, she and NOT Pinkins became the major favorite for the award (though it was seen as a four way race between her, Pinkins, Menzel and Chenoweth). Also, remember that Caroline's reviews were quite mixed (though Pinkins' were mostly positive) and the support for the show in the community was rather weak at the time. While several people on the board were rooting for her to win (though Menzel's fans were far more prevelant), Pinkins was NOT the favorite.

"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney

broadwayboy1939 Profile Photo
broadwayboy1939
#69re: 2007 tony predictions
Posted: 6/14/06 at 12:51pm

Margo-I freaking love you... enough said.

I am personally hoping for A CHORUS LINE to take Revival!! and I will make my decision later for best musical once I hear and find out more about PIRATE QUEEN.

I want BILLY ELLIOTT to come to broadway!!!!!!!!!!!

"Sometimes when you dream, your dreams come true..."

Adjie Profile Photo
Adjie
#70re: 2007 tony predictions
Posted: 6/14/06 at 6:10pm

This is interesting!
But anything with B & S and Stephanie has my vote!!

Lady Italy Profile Photo
Lady Italy
#71re: 2007 tony predictions
Posted: 6/14/06 at 6:40pm

Bump Bump

Lady Italy Profile Photo
Lady Italy
#72re: 2007 tony predictions
Posted: 6/14/06 at 6:58pm

Stephanie, Stephanie Stephanie. Just gotta be her time! With all the work she's putting into this show and the difficulty of the part (double sword fight training, specific exercises to build upper body and legs for the jumping and pouncing, going to Ireland to meet with creative people, which will help her get more insight to the character of Grania.etc.) I believe she'll be deserving of that coveted award called "TONY"

Popular Profile Photo
Popular
#73re: 2007 tony predictions
Posted: 6/14/06 at 7:01pm

Awww, I totally agree! All these performers put so much into it. It's too bad they can't all get awards. Steph is a winner already just for getting as far as she has but that award would be nice re: 2007 tony predictions

wickedmenzel318
#74re: 2007 tony predictions
Posted: 6/14/06 at 8:42pm

Yes you two took the words out of my mouth. Stephanie is really amazing and I am hoping she wins. But I also say every single women next year nominated will be amazing so whoever wins will definately deserve it.

Videos