Wedding Singer Rumor

zzannahk Profile Photo
zzannahk
#50re: Wedding Singer Rumor
Posted: 7/26/06 at 8:50pm

it isn't as though it's been open for years and on it's last legs. this is a fun show and while stephen lynch draws in a crowd, hillary duff would draw in more fans and help keep the show going. i would like to see it make it the whole year+, but they need something to spark more interest.

muscle23ftl Profile Photo
muscle23ftl
#51re: Wedding Singer Rumor
Posted: 7/26/06 at 8:53pm

Broadway lost its standars a long time ago. I am not a fan of the Duff sisters, but if they, or any other celebrity will keep a show open, i say "why not", anyways...just because you or anyone on this website dislikes Haylie Duff, the numbers speak for themselves, that's all im saying.

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-

kenmarksnj Profile Photo
kenmarksnj
#52re: Wedding Singer Rumor
Posted: 7/26/06 at 8:55pm

hmmm so it seems that many of you, including Just_John would want to see hilary duff in the show b/c she would make it sell out and therefore have a longer run?

since when was it okay to risk artistic integrity for money? not saying that it isn't done all the time, but the people on these boards are usually the ones who complain about that the most.

PARISinNYC Profile Photo
PARISinNYC
#53re: Wedding Singer Rumor
Posted: 7/26/06 at 8:55pm

I like this idea and I hate it. I love the fact that the stunt casting will sell out the show and it'll be around for much longer, but then again, people will be going to the show for the wrong reasons. Mainly 12 year old girls who just want to meet Hilary Duff. Plus, I really don't think she's that talented. Her voice has obviously been tweaked in all her recordings.

But it'll keep the show open...so, GOD I HATE TO SAY THIS YOU HAVE NO IDEA, but.....let her.

OUCH THAT HURT!

muscle23ftl
#54re: Wedding Singer Rumor
Posted: 7/26/06 at 8:58pm

Hilary is not taking over the role of Julia anytime soon. Let's drop it! BUT Broadway is business guys. Theatre is made on Broadway to make money basically. Come on! I love the art of it, but if a show doesn't make money, they close, it's that simple.

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-

SarahBeth Profile Photo
SarahBeth
#55re: Wedding Singer Rumor
Posted: 7/26/06 at 8:59pm

I have absolutely no faith in her being able to pull it off but...to keep this show open. Sure. If anything it'll be a limited engagement.

"I'll show you a laughgasm. I'll gasm all over this stage!"
"Interesting choice"

gustof777 Profile Photo
gustof777
#56re: Wedding Singer Rumor
Posted: 7/26/06 at 9:02pm

"Broadway lost its standars a long time ago"

so we just keep lowering them to sell tickets? I respect where you're coming from and there really is a part of me that wants to see the show keep going at any cost but if the show can't ride on the fact that it's good, goofy and funny material performed by a top notch cast...than I don't think that theres much that can be done and with how many shows want to come in Broadway there are that many cast/crew members that won't have their voices heard because other shows are occupying the theaters getting by, by bringing in D level talent. That's what makes me sad. I don't mean to make you angry or anything and I'm sorry if I did but there is so much good material that could thrive on Broadway and deserves to have it's voice heard and I would really be saddened that they couldn't move into the theater because another show decided to bring in someone like Duff.

RIP Natasha Richardson. ~You were a light on this earth ~

gustof777 Profile Photo
gustof777
#57re: Wedding Singer Rumor
Posted: 7/26/06 at 9:04pm

"hmmm so it seems that many of you, including Just_John would want to see hilary duff in the show b/c she would make it sell out and therefore have a longer run?

since when was it okay to risk artistic integrity for money? not saying that it isn't done all the time, but the people on these boards are usually the ones who complain about that the most."

AMEN! Thank you Ken!

muscle23ftl
#58re: Wedding Singer Rumor
Posted: 7/26/06 at 9:04pm

You know what makes me sad? That crappy shows like Wicked, The Lion King, Mamma Mia, Cats(when it was open), 3 Days of Rain(WIWO) or Phantom are/were always sold out and then good plays and musicals close constantly. That's the state of Broadway today. It's all about business.

gustof777 Profile Photo
gustof777
#59re: Wedding Singer Rumor
Posted: 7/26/06 at 9:13pm

I know and that makes me sad too...but there was enough interest in the SHOW to bring in crowds. I can't stand alot of those shows either but there are plenty that do...there are definitley alot of Wedding Singer fans (myself included) but not enough to keep it running for as long as some of the others you mentioned and it really is an issue for me that the space is needed for other shows. I just feel that Wedding Singer is above bringing in someone and would be better off just closing with some dignity

JerseyScoundrel
#60re: Wedding Singer Rumor
Posted: 7/26/06 at 9:15pm

If the rumor is true, it may put the show in good business. Haylie and Hillary will then have the same producer. Margo Lion will have to write two paychecks with Duff on the last name.

"This is a stupid story. It never stops. But we keep making lemonade! We're opening the biggest f***ing lemonade stand you ever saw!" -Walter Bobbie after a long day of Sweet Charity Rehersals (Newyorkmetro.com)

PARISinNYC Profile Photo
PARISinNYC
#61re: Wedding Singer Rumor
Posted: 7/26/06 at 9:16pm

That is so unbelievably true. I can not stand seeing them sell out every week when things that are actually worth seeing over and over close.

If it were up to me, I would close those shows down, and bring back some of the good stuff.

muscle23ftl
#62re: Wedding Singer Rumor
Posted: 7/26/06 at 9:17pm

Well, as fans of this show, we should spread the word and recommend it to everyone, unlike what someone said, I've paid full price and so have my friends and we found it totally worthy. I did the student rush most of the times i've seen it. But just because I've seen the show way too many times. The Playbill discounts are history, so the show must be doing pretty well. It was sold out last Wednesday and Saturday for sure.

PS=After seeing Melanie Griffith in Chicago, nothing surprises me.

Updated On: 7/26/06 at 09:17 PM

PARISinNYC Profile Photo
PARISinNYC
#63re: Wedding Singer Rumor
Posted: 7/26/06 at 9:20pm

I think i've done pretty well on my part! I got about six of my friends who know nothing about Broadway to go see it. I'm still urging everyone I know.

If it's selling out some shows, how is it possible for them to not be somewhere in the 80%s (or even higher)?

gustof777 Profile Photo
gustof777
#64re: Wedding Singer Rumor
Posted: 7/26/06 at 9:23pm

I'm trying muscle I really am...I've convinced two families that I know in NYC to see the show and quite a few of my buddys who have no idea what a musical is to go see it and they have loved it. But yeah whenever someone asks me what to see I always say Sweeney and Wedding Singer

muscle23ftl
#65re: Wedding Singer Rumor
Posted: 7/26/06 at 9:25pm

That's great guys!

Anyways, why don't we waste our energies trying to help a good cause or something else instead of worrying because a talentless girl got a role on Broadway?

Updated On: 7/26/06 at 09:25 PM

Yeah, um, no. Profile Photo
Yeah, um, no.
#66re: Wedding Singer Rumor
Posted: 7/26/06 at 9:35pm

A Broadway producer can certainly replace an actor at any time for any reason. All they have to do it pay them for the balance of their contract. There's a saying in showbiz, that all rumors are true. This had to come from somewhere!

Yeah, um, no. Profile Photo
Yeah, um, no.
#67re: Wedding Singer Rumor
Posted: 7/26/06 at 9:36pm

Updated On: 7/26/06 at 09:36 PM

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#68re: Wedding Singer Rumor
Posted: 7/26/06 at 10:01pm

And did you read about Nick Lachey as Billy Flynn? I'm all about giving people a chance, but LOL.

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

Phantom2 Profile Photo
Phantom2
#69re: Wedding Singer Rumor
Posted: 7/26/06 at 10:31pm

Tina Maddigan is more than capable to assume the role of Julia.

"I'm learning to dig deep down inside and find the truth within myself and put that out. I think what we identify with in popular music more than anything else is when someone just shares a truth that we can relate to. That's what I'm searching for in my music." - Ron Bohmer

"I broke the boundaries. It wasn't cool to be in plays- especially if you were in sports & I was in both." - Ashton Kutcher

muscle23ftl
#70re: Wedding Singer Rumor
Posted: 7/26/06 at 10:41pm

I really think that Nick Lachey is a brilliant singer. I've never seen him act though. He is making way too much money right now to be on Broadway. His new CD sold over 500,000 copies and it became a hit album. He has a contract with his record label and i doubt he'll be able to do theatre, and probably he is not interested in the salary that Broadway can afford to pay him. As much as I love Tina, she is practically an unknown. Don't hate me Phantom2, but we have to be realistic.

Updated On: 7/26/06 at 10:41 PM

Phantom2 Profile Photo
Phantom2
#71re: Wedding Singer Rumor
Posted: 7/26/06 at 10:44pm

Unfortunately, most Broadway actors are unknown.

Tina has a following. She's captured the hearts of many in Mamma Mia!

muscle- Where were you back then?

"I'm learning to dig deep down inside and find the truth within myself and put that out. I think what we identify with in popular music more than anything else is when someone just shares a truth that we can relate to. That's what I'm searching for in my music." - Ron Bohmer

"I broke the boundaries. It wasn't cool to be in plays- especially if you were in sports & I was in both." - Ashton Kutcher
Updated On: 7/26/06 at 10:44 PM

muscle23ftl
#72re: Wedding Singer Rumor
Posted: 7/26/06 at 10:54pm

You are the only following she's got! and that's why i think your "awesome"!!!
Nah, seriously, yes, even Benanti who is a better known Broadway star than Tina, is not a box office draw. Stephen has a limited draw, but he is not like Usher or Ben Stiller, or Miss Duff.

thevolleyballer
#73re: Wedding Singer Rumor
Posted: 7/26/06 at 11:24pm

Well, when I personally speak of ticket sales, I refer to sales, profits, spending costs, and seat capacity all in one. Blah. I just know that overall, it's not doing as good as it could be.

EDIT: What happened to the message in front of mine?

Updated On: 7/27/06 at 11:24 PM

snl89
#74re: Wedding Singer Rumor
Posted: 7/26/06 at 11:36pm

Ok, I just have to ask something real quick cause I'm really confused- is Wedding Singer really doing THAT badly as far as ticket sales? I mean, sure, its no Wicked I know, but Wicked is also an INSANE production that is kind of ASSUMED to do that amazing in ticket sales. Wedding Singer just isnt as huge a phenominon, but that doesn't mean its doing BADLY does it? It's at like 75% right? I mean I know that could def be better, but it seems like its still nowhere NEAR closing or anything... is it? it seems like it would need to be steadily under like 50 or 60% for a decent period of time for them to close. I dont know... I just think its so wierd that so many people are saying "is it closing soon?" or "its in grave danger of closing" when... arent shows like sweeney todd and drowsey chaperone doing about the same? I could be totally wrong.. but I just thought they were

I don't need a life that's normal. That's way too far away. But something next to normal would be okay. Something next to normal is what I'd like to try. Close enough to normal to get by.

Videos