pixeltracker

Songs That Could Pass For 'Non-Show Tunes'- Page 3

Songs That Could Pass For 'Non-Show Tunes'

Mattbrain
#50re: Songs That Could Pass For 'Non-Show Tunes'
Posted: 8/1/06 at 5:56pm

Yes, Millie, Smokey Joe's is a revue. It's also one of the first jukebox musicals. The earliest ones were "Jacques Brel is Alive and Well and Living in Paris" and the Tony winning "Ain't Misbehavin'." So frankly, I don't think jukebox musicals count for this thread. I also think that Dreamgirls and Tarzan have great songs too. God, so many shows provide excellent songs that would have great airtime on the radio. Maybe they could do some pop versions of songs from The Light in the Piazza. God, imagine Christina Aguilera's cover of The Beauty Is. Saints preserve us.

Butters, go buy World of Warcraft, install it on your computer, and join the online sensation before we all murder you. --Cartman: South Park ATTENTION FANS: I will be played by James Barbour in the upcoming musical, "BroadwayWorld: The Musical."

kitkatt456 Profile Photo
kitkatt456
#51re: Songs That Could Pass For 'Non-Show Tunes'
Posted: 8/1/06 at 6:09pm

from The Last Five Years:
Still Hurting
Goodbye Until Tomorrow

Songs for a New World:
She Cries
I'd Give It All For You
Flying Home

Aida
Written in the stars
I Know The Truth

Out Tonight from Rent for sure, it's the only song my friends who dont like showtunes can listen to.

COOOOLkid
#52re: Songs That Could Pass For 'Non-Show Tunes'
Posted: 8/1/06 at 6:20pm

There's No Business like Show Business
42nd Street
Anything Goes
I Hope I Get It

re: Songs That Could Pass For 'Non-Show Tunes'

"Hey, you! You're the worst thing to happen to musical theatre since Andrew Lloyd Webber!" -Family Guy

DrunkyMcWasted Profile Photo
DrunkyMcWasted
#53re: Songs That Could Pass For 'Non-Show Tunes'
Posted: 8/1/06 at 6:28pm

Pretty much anything from "Spring Awakening"

l love you without knowing how... or when... or from where.
I love you straightforwardly, without complexities or pride.
I love you because I know no other way than this.

I believe in fate
But it's up to us to follow through

Steph_DeVo Profile Photo
Steph_DeVo
#54re: Songs That Could Pass For 'Non-Show Tunes'
Posted: 8/1/06 at 6:51pm

Sant: Whitney Houston recorded "I Know Him So Well" from Chess, so you were right about it having a more mainstream appeal.

waddledee524 Profile Photo
waddledee524
#55re: Songs That Could Pass For 'Non-Show Tunes'
Posted: 8/1/06 at 7:03pm

Maybe the soundtrack from Mamma Mia! Or perhaps Movin' Out. Any takers? None?

I always thought "We're Okay" from RENT would work great out of context. Who's with me?

Hear the words I sing: war's a horrid thing. So, I sing sing sing... Ding a ling a ling.

bwayboi4life42 Profile Photo
bwayboi4life42
#56re: Songs That Could Pass For 'Non-Show Tunes'
Posted: 8/1/06 at 7:16pm

Mamma Mia and Movin' Out's songs were both famous before those musicals were written. Jukebox musicals don't count for this because all of those songs are non-show tunes.

"I believe that art does not exist only to entertain, but also to challenge one to think, to provoke, even to disturb, to engage in a constant search for the truth." - Barbra Streisand

JustABroadwaybaby2
#57re: Songs That Could Pass For 'Non-Show Tunes'
Posted: 8/1/06 at 7:43pm

I have heard Seasons of Love on the radio, but the movie version. Probably because they wanted people to go see it.
If only Great Big Stuff would play on the radio. I would sit there and laugh. I love that song.

"I'm thinking about how if you took the W in answer, and the H in ghost, and the extra A in aardvark, and the T in listen, you could keep saying WHAT but no one would ever hear you because the whole word would be silent." Please support BC/EFA at goodsearch.com! Search for anything, and your charity will get a cent!

BrightEyedInNYC Profile Photo
BrightEyedInNYC
#58re: Songs That Could Pass For 'Non-Show Tunes'
Posted: 8/2/06 at 12:05am

check out lauren kennedy's songs of jason robert brown CD. it's very acoustic and what non-theatre people call "normal" music. my dad even listens to it. haha

"My Mother's punishing me for going to jail without permission!" ~Penny Pingleton from HaIrSpRaY

waddledee524 Profile Photo
waddledee524
#59re: Songs That Could Pass For 'Non-Show Tunes'
Posted: 8/2/06 at 12:59am

"Mamma Mia and Movin' Out's songs were both famous before those musicals were written. Jukebox musicals don't count for this because all of those songs are non-show tunes."

The thing I hate about online communication is that sarcasm is so gosh darn hard to translate into something you can write.

Hear the words I sing: war's a horrid thing. So, I sing sing sing... Ding a ling a ling.

COOOOLkid
#60re: Songs That Could Pass For 'Non-Show Tunes'
Posted: 8/2/06 at 1:19am

"Maybe the soundtrack from Mamma Mia! Or perhaps Movin' Out. Any takers? None? "

*GASP* re: Songs That Could Pass For 'Non-Show Tunes'

"Hey, you! You're the worst thing to happen to musical theatre since Andrew Lloyd Webber!" -Family Guy

Mythus
#61re: Songs That Could Pass For 'Non-Show Tunes'
Posted: 8/2/06 at 1:38am

Maybe not on the radio, but there are a few songs in In My Life that could pass as commercial jingles.

Oh, wait.

Nif1025
#62re: Songs That Could Pass For 'Non-Show Tunes'
Posted: 8/4/06 at 11:44pm

About Aida:

Before the musical hit Broadway, there was a concept recording of many songs recorded by popular artists. Though I don't own the album, I heard it several times and I think each artist suited their song well. The Spice Girls did "My Strongest Suit" I think, and Boyz II Men did "Not Me", James Taylor might have been on there too. Here's the link to the details.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00000IFTH/ref=pd_sim_m_6/102-7789051-4701748?ie=UTF8

Since Tim Rice was the lyricist, maybe he helped give Elton the idea to create this concept album first with the pop artists to create buzz and interest, similar to what was done with JCS. (Correct me if I'm wrong about this.)

From this album, Elton John recorded "Written in the Stars" with Leann Rimes, and I don't know if it hit Top 40, but it was played on the radio a lot at the time. Also, this may be hard to believe, but back then I heard on the radio the "pop" version of "A Step too Far" as a trio with Elton, Heather Headley and Sherie Scott. Those of you who were radio listeners at the time know that this was definitely not a hit and vanished quickly from the airwaves.

-Jennifer

#63re: Songs That Could Pass For 'Non-Show Tunes'
Posted: 8/5/06 at 5:08am

This entire thread reminds me of the era when there were people who tried to "pass for white." If you're so ashamed of showtunes that you want to disguise it from your friends then you shouldn't even be here.

bwayboi4life42 Profile Photo
bwayboi4life42
#64re: Songs That Could Pass For 'Non-Show Tunes'
Posted: 8/5/06 at 9:01am

"The thing I hate about online communication is that sarcasm is so gosh darn hard to translate into something you can write."

No kidding.

"I believe that art does not exist only to entertain, but also to challenge one to think, to provoke, even to disturb, to engage in a constant search for the truth." - Barbra Streisand

jasonf Profile Photo
jasonf
#65re: Songs That Could Pass For 'Non-Show Tunes'
Posted: 8/5/06 at 9:52am

Tom - I think you missed the point. The point isn't to disguise the songs, but to see what could actually have cross-over appeal. Forty, fifty years ago this wouldn't have even been a necessary discussion as so many of "our" songs were mainstream. Music has just diverged so much from the lyricism and pretty melody (as opposed to simplistic lyrics and music focusing on beats rather than melory) that we all love that, with very few exceptions (Springsteen, Elton John, Ben Folds, Billy Joel being a few who come to mind), modern music has little or nothing to do with what we experience in the theater any more.

Hi, Shirley Temple Pudding.

vmlinnie
#66re: Songs That Could Pass For 'Non-Show Tunes'
Posted: 8/5/06 at 10:01am

'No matter what' from Whistle down the Wind was recoreded by Irish Boyband Boyzone a few years ago, sometime in the late 90's. I was then in a show for a competition, where each group does an hour long show, two each night for a week, and at the end of the week the judge releases his comments and so on. Well, we did a whole montage thing from Whistle down the wind, and one of the songs we did was No matter what. The Judge later said that it didn't fit in and that we shouldn't have tried to put a boyband's pop song into a musical. Idiot.

The rain we knew is a thing of the past -
deep-delving, dark, deliberate you would say
browsing on spire and bogland; but today
our sky-blue slates are steaming in the sun,
our yachts tinkling and dancing in the bay
like racehorses. We contemplate at last
shining windows, a future forbidden to no one.

Derek Mahon

"Maybe all one can do is hope to end up with the right regrets."

Arthur Miller

Sant
#67re: Songs That Could Pass For 'Non-Show Tunes'
Posted: 8/5/06 at 4:12pm

"Losing My Mind" - FOLLIES
"Try To Remember" - THE FANTASTICKS
"Only You" - STARLIGHT EXPRESS

Updated On: 8/6/06 at 04:12 PM

BlueStarGirl
#68re: Songs That Could Pass For 'Non-Show Tunes'
Posted: 8/5/06 at 7:04pm

ZANNA DON'T - "I Think We Got Love", "Sometime, Do You Think We Could Fall In Love? "

TABOO - "Love Is A Question Mark"

They're duety and would probably never get radio play, but I think they'd do nicely alongside Rent et al as "passable showtunes".

vmlinnie
#69re: Songs That Could Pass For 'Non-Show Tunes'
Posted: 8/5/06 at 7:08pm

I second Only You from Starlight.

The rain we knew is a thing of the past -
deep-delving, dark, deliberate you would say
browsing on spire and bogland; but today
our sky-blue slates are steaming in the sun,
our yachts tinkling and dancing in the bay
like racehorses. We contemplate at last
shining windows, a future forbidden to no one.

Derek Mahon

"Maybe all one can do is hope to end up with the right regrets."

Arthur Miller

Videos