pixeltracker

My favorite Merman quote- Page 3

My favorite Merman quote

elmore3003
#50re: My favorite Merman quote
Posted: 8/18/06 at 4:53pm

Merman had my friend Paula Laurence fired from SOMETHING FOR THE BOYS for upstaging her.

elmore3003
#51re: My favorite Merman quote
Posted: 8/18/06 at 4:57pm

Paula probably deserved it.

#52re: My favorite Merman quote
Posted: 8/18/06 at 5:46pm

I don't know if this one's been posted, but:

When asked why she didn't talk to Gypsy co-star Sandra Church, Merman replied, "Of course I talk to her. Every night after the curtain comes down I tell her, 'Go **** yourself!'"

Horton Profile Photo
Horton
#53re: My favorite Merman quote
Posted: 8/18/06 at 5:52pm

And we wonder why Merman was married so many times.

vjRichie Profile Photo
vjRichie
#54re: My favorite Merman quote
Posted: 8/18/06 at 8:00pm

Jennifer Holiday said (on the Rosie show I beleive) that Merman came backstage after Dreamgirls and told Jennifer she would never make it being so fat and with that voice!

or something like that, I wished I saved that episode!

"I've had two years to grow claws, Mother, and they're Jungle Red!" Mary Haines - The Women

morosco Profile Photo
morosco
#55re: My favorite Merman quote
Posted: 8/18/06 at 9:21pm

"Jennifer Holiday said (on the Rosie show I beleive) that Merman came backstage after Dreamgirls and told Jennifer..."

Holliday said that Merman told her that she couldn't sing. That's all.

mike L G Profile Photo
mike L G
#56re: My favorite Merman quote
Posted: 8/18/06 at 9:58pm

When they had a tribute benefit in the the late ninties
for aids . The show opened "Something For the Boys" in like
village people customs and they dubbed in from "Call Me Madam"
what she is saying to the steatsmen . Not Dollar ,Not a Quarter,
Not a dime. Course if you like to stick around for a few beer's.

mike L G Profile Photo
mike L G
#57re: My favorite Merman quote
Posted: 8/18/06 at 9:58pm

When they had a tribute benefit in the the late ninties
for aids . The show opened "Something For the Boys" in like
village people customs and they dubbed in from "Call Me Madam"
what she is saying to the steatsmen . Not Dollar ,Not a Quarter,
Not a dime. Course if you like to stick around for a few beer's.

frontrowcentre2 Profile Photo
frontrowcentre2
#58re: My favorite Merman quote
Posted: 8/19/06 at 4:58am

The "bitchy" stories are more fun, but when we interviewed her for a weekly radio show I produced she was funny and delightful.

One story she told was that when she played the London Palledium in the 1970s a fan from Scotland send her down a sprig of white heather, for luck. She said "She couldn't even come down and see the show, but it was so sweet and I couldn't even write her and thank her because there was no return address."

Cast albums are NOT "soundtracks."
Live theatre does not use a "soundtrack." If it did, it wouldn't be live theatre!

I host a weekly one-hour radio program featuring cast album selections as well as songs by cabaret, jazz and theatre artists. The program, FRONT ROW CENTRE is heard Sundays 9 to 10 am and also Saturdays from 8 to 9 am (eastern times) on www.proudfm.com

allofmylife Profile Photo
allofmylife
#59re: My favorite Merman quote
Posted: 8/19/06 at 11:40am

I still think "Call me Mrs. Birdseye, honey, but this show is frozen" is inspired.

http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=972787#3631451 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=963561#3533883 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=955158#3440952 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=954269#3427915 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=955012#3441622 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=954344#3428699

ILUVTOMG Profile Photo
ILUVTOMG
#60re: My favorite Merman quote
Posted: 8/19/06 at 11:50am

A friend of mine (now deceased) worked on the 1977 Merman/Martin benefit and said that Mary walked into rehearsal late one day - Ethel was onstage singing. When Merman spotted Martin sneaking in she stopped the orchestra and bellowed 'Hey Mary how come you're late? Hope you got some **** last night 'cause I got a great piece of dick' LORD I LOVE THAT STORY.

#61re: My favorite Merman quote
Posted: 8/19/06 at 11:52am

^
i cant think of what "****" represents in this instance.

theaterkid1015 Profile Photo
theaterkid1015
#62re: My favorite Merman quote
Posted: 8/19/06 at 12:01pm

This is a personal story I heard from my teacher, Lenora Nemetz, that has produced one of my favorite quotes, Merman or otherwise:

So, when Pittsburgh opened Heinz Hall, all of these big names showed up (I guess) and Merman was one of them. The conducter totally screwed up her arragement and the music itself got all messed up and she started yelling at him, while performing for the audience. Then, after the show, she marches up to her dressing room. And, as Lenora said, "She liked me for some reason and she told me to come up with her. She turns to me and says, 'LEE! THAT SONUVABITCH IS TRYING TO SAAAABOTAGE ME!" And we started counting her music. She would say, '1' and I would reply with '1' and so on and so forth. Then, this little boy walks in and asks for her autograph. She says, 'Fine.' She signs it, and keeps on counting. '18, Best Regards Ethel, 19.' It was truly like a sitcom."

Some people paint, some people sew, I meddle.

sidneybruhl Profile Photo
sidneybruhl
#63re: My favorite Merman quote
Posted: 8/19/06 at 5:01pm

I love these Merman quotes! Thanks to all who posted

sondheimboy2 Profile Photo
sondheimboy2
#64re: My favorite Merman quote
Posted: 8/19/06 at 8:51pm

I can't remember where I read it, but Stephen Sondheim says the line "You ain't gettin' 88 cents from me, Rose!" on the original cast album of "Gypsy" and he said that he used his annoyance at her to fuel his reading of the line.

"A coherent existance after so many years of muddle" - Desiree' Armfelt, A Little Night Music "Life keeps happening everyday, Say Yes" - 70, Girls, 70 "Life is what you do while you're waiting to die" - Zorba

Horton Profile Photo
Horton
#65re: My favorite Merman quote
Posted: 8/19/06 at 10:01pm

I had never heard that Sondheimboy, can anybody confirm that?

#66re: My favorite Merman quote
Posted: 8/19/06 at 10:07pm

^
its in the liner notes for the remastered version of the OBCR.

frontrowcentre2 Profile Photo
frontrowcentre2
#67re: My favorite Merman quote
Posted: 8/19/06 at 10:16pm

Re: GYPSC OCR

It's true. What happened was the actor playing Rose's father was not called to attend the recording session and when Goddard Lieberson decided he wanted to use that bit of dialogue, Sondheim filled in. (Before I knew this it always sounded to me like the guy playing her father was too young. Now I know why!)

Sondheim's reading is barely adequate: He puts emphasis on ME instead of 88 CENTS. But Merman screams back "Then I'll get it someplace else, but I'll get it, and get my kids OUT!"

Cast albums are NOT "soundtracks."
Live theatre does not use a "soundtrack." If it did, it wouldn't be live theatre!

I host a weekly one-hour radio program featuring cast album selections as well as songs by cabaret, jazz and theatre artists. The program, FRONT ROW CENTRE is heard Sundays 9 to 10 am and also Saturdays from 8 to 9 am (eastern times) on www.proudfm.com

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#68re: My favorite Merman quote
Posted: 10/7/11 at 12:35pm

Bump #2 for Zamedy

henrikegerman Profile Photo
henrikegerman
#69re: My favorite Merman quote
Posted: 10/7/11 at 4:48pm

When Merman first sight read the Gershwins' Let's Call The Whole Thing Off, she didn't understand the song's now famous running gag and gave the repeated words the exact same pronunciation.

As you might expect, she went full throttle into the refrain:

You say potato! And I say potato!
You say tomato! And I say tomato!

Potato..... (quizzically, she slowed tempo).... Potato...
(completely disoriented) Tomato Tomato?!?!

(she then stopped short).

"STUPID SONG!"
Updated On: 10/7/11 at 04:48 PM

zamedy
#70re: My favorite Merman quote
Posted: 10/7/11 at 9:53pm

Awwwww! Thanks PalJoey! You have made my night! How many of us have been literally LOLing reading this thread! Love her. Love it!

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#71re: My favorite Merman quote
Posted: 10/9/11 at 2:59pm

I heard this one on a YouTube video:

Some stage door Johnnies were waiting for Merman at the stage door at GYPSY way back when. They waited nearly an hour and a half. A limo pulls up. The stage door swings open and there she is.

The fellows gawk and say, "Ooh, hello Miss Merman!"

She hollers back, "HI BOYS!" and strides into the limo without giving an autograph.

The stories go that she disliked giving autographs because they always made her late for where she had to be.

In any event, I found that one funny.

crewdude
#72re: My favorite Merman quote
Posted: 10/9/11 at 3:30pm

"It's not a cult. It's a Religion. ~ Mitt Romney

That's the best Mormon quote I know.

OOOOOH, MERMAN. Umm, never mind.

henrikegerman Profile Photo
henrikegerman
#73re: My favorite Merman quote
Posted: 10/9/11 at 9:10pm

Actually, this thread should be called The Book of Merman.

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#74re: My favorite Merman quote
Posted: 10/9/11 at 11:20pm

The Book(s) of Merman:

re: My favorite Merman quote