pixeltracker

Ashlee Simpson Confirmed for Chicago (London); Already in Rehearsals- Page 3

Ashlee Simpson Confirmed for Chicago (London); Already in Rehearsals

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
Luckydave14
#51re: Ashlee Simpson Confirmed for Chicago (London); Already in Rehearsals
Posted: 8/29/06 at 4:04pm

"If this hiring crappy celebrities trend continues, it will inevitably be the death of theatre. I just hope the casting directors realize this in time."

I really don't understand why people can't take a little bit of stunt casting. Having Ashlee come in is DEFINATELY going to raise ticket sales tremendously. How is the death of theatre going to come if the theatre is being packed every night? True, there are probably hundreds of girls who are more qualified to play Roxie in any cast around the world, but will this no-name bring any people into see the show? The answer is, no. Many, many people have seen the show Chicago, and if not live, many people saw the movie version. If somebody hears that "Jane Smith" is coming into Chicago, nobody is going to go see the show again because of her. But if somebody hears that a big name like Ashlee Simpson is coming into Chicago, many people who have seen the show might go and see it again to see her performance.

I don't think anybody should really be a crybaby over this. It's not like she will be in the show for a whole year. It will probably be a few weeks, at the most maybe a couple of months, so why bellyache about it. I say just give her a chance. We would be lucky if she came to Broadway. The show would be sold out every performance she is in the show.

JamesMacon Profile Photo
JamesMacon
#52re: Ashlee Simpson Confirmed for Chicago (London); Already in Rehearsals
Posted: 8/29/06 at 4:17pm

Why does this happen...

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#53re: Ashlee Simpson Confirmed for Chicago (London); Already in Rehearsals
Posted: 8/29/06 at 4:20pm

Maybe at some point during rehearsals, some member of the powers that be will see evidence that this was a bad idea, and change their minds.

Wishful, alas.

A work of art is an invitation to love.

flicker_ Profile Photo
flicker_
#54re: Ashlee Simpson Confirmed for Chicago (London); Already in Rehearsals
Posted: 8/29/06 at 4:21pm

Luckydave14: What I meant was that theater should not be about hiring celebrities simply for the money and the guarantee of shows being sold out. Theater should be about hiring the best and having a reputation for excellence. Hiring celebrities for attracting more people to the theater will only temporarily satisfy the public. In the end, people want to see true talent. It IS possible to sell seats without using a famous name and replace it with great talent instead. By the "death of theater" I meant the death of respect for the theater.

Opera is when a guy gets stabbed in the back and, instead of bleeding, he sings.

mejusthavingfun Profile Photo
mejusthavingfun
#55re: Ashlee Simpson Confirmed for Chicago (London); Already in Rehearsals
Posted: 8/29/06 at 4:25pm

I think this is awesome. I wish there were less losers on Broadway and more stars!

Thesbijean
#56re: Ashlee Simpson Confirmed for Chicago (London); Already in Rehearsals
Posted: 8/29/06 at 4:35pm

Broadway is a BUSINESS first!

So, if her performance sucks, but she is still filling those seats, than guess what: job well done...

Broadway can be about artistic integrity, but it doesn't HAVE to be about artistic integrity every single time...give it a rest!

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#57re: Ashlee Simpson Confirmed for Chicago (London); Already in Rehearsals
Posted: 8/29/06 at 4:36pm

Yes, but in an ideal world, it SHOULD be. Unfortunately commercial interests don't often coincide with artistic ones. High art doesn't sell.

A work of art is an invitation to love.

HamletWasBipolar Profile Photo
HamletWasBipolar
#58re: Ashlee Simpson Confirmed for Chicago (London); Already in Rehearsals
Posted: 8/29/06 at 4:36pm

This is just a long line of stunt casting for a show that would have closed otherwise years ago. Remember the word is show BUSINESS. Im not going to go see it, but then again, it really was a gimmick show to me all along (little mary sunshine??). I dont think Ashlee is going to pop up in The Three Sisters anytime soon, so the whole, "this is the death of Broadway" thing is a little bit much. The consumer that hasnt seen Chicago already might come to see this spectacle. If it fills seats its good for Broadway/West End, its good for the economy of NY/London, and its good for the other 25 people in the show, the pit, the backstage crew,the ushers,etc who are working in a show that would have closed long ago and left them unemployed. If the audience that would buy the tickets to see her are thrilled, whos really to complain. You may get some people interested in theatre for the first time in their lives.

" I wish that the stage were as narrow as a tightrope wire, so that no incompetent would dare step upon it." -- Goethe (he wants you to go to my Myspace page www.myspace.com/jasonklemm

Tom1071 Profile Photo
Tom1071
#59re: Ashlee Simpson Confirmed for Chicago (London); Already in Rehearsals
Posted: 8/29/06 at 4:41pm

"Why does this happen..."

Because the producers have to find a way of keeping the seats filled and hype boosts ticket sales. It doesn't matter if she is good or not. Even if she stinks people will still buy tickets just to see it for themselves.

When Melanie Griffith was in the show no one bought tickets because they thought she would be good or because they were her fan. They bought tickets to see how bad she was going to be.

mejusthavingfun
#60re: Ashlee Simpson Confirmed for Chicago (London); Already in Rehearsals
Posted: 8/29/06 at 4:46pm

Fill the seats or nobody eats!

colleen_lee
#61re: Ashlee Simpson Confirmed for Chicago (London); Already in Rehearsals
Posted: 8/29/06 at 4:47pm

But, at the same time, putting in solidly talented individuals with names is much better business. For many people, this may be their first experience into the musical theater. If they attend a production with a mediocre leading player it could very possibly influence their view of the entire artform as a whole. People don't want to pay $100 to see an awful performance, and that's if they end up getting, you can bet that they'll think twice about returning.

I think it's time that the art form again focuses on building a larger solid and returning fanbase. It's great to attract the tourists, but if we can't get them to come back again, then have we really benefitted?

"You just can't win. Ever. Look at the bright side, at least you are not stuck in First Wives Club: The Musical. That would really suck. " --Sueleen Gay

Tom1071 Profile Photo
Tom1071
#62re: Ashlee Simpson Confirmed for Chicago (London); Already in Rehearsals
Posted: 8/29/06 at 4:50pm

I believe that the average Broadway audience member (meaning the tourist) wouldn't know the difference.

HamletWasBipolar Profile Photo
HamletWasBipolar
#63re: Ashlee Simpson Confirmed for Chicago (London); Already in Rehearsals
Posted: 8/29/06 at 4:52pm

I think anyone who is a theatre lover has already seen this show, and wouldn't be shelling out a $100 for this regardless of who was playing, save Bebe or Ann. What was said is true with other shows, but this show has become an entertainment, rather than legit show what with the movie and all. Talent matters of course, but if this target audience was a conossieur of talent they wouldnt be coming to see her to begin with!

" I wish that the stage were as narrow as a tightrope wire, so that no incompetent would dare step upon it." -- Goethe (he wants you to go to my Myspace page www.myspace.com/jasonklemm

mejusthavingfun
#64re: Ashlee Simpson Confirmed for Chicago (London); Already in Rehearsals
Posted: 8/29/06 at 4:56pm

colleen_lee - What’s your point? People are already paying $100 to see shameless Broadway drivel such as Tarzan, The Wedding Singer, Sh!tty Chitty Bang Bang, Lennon and Lecrap. I would rather pay $100.00 and see Usher in Tarzan than see some someone who is not famous in the same role in the same crappy show. At least I am getting to see Usher. Everyone knows Ashley sucks, but we love her for it. By we, I mean the general population. LOL

Tom1071 Profile Photo
Tom1071
#65re: Ashlee Simpson Confirmed for Chicago (London); Already in Rehearsals
Posted: 8/29/06 at 4:57pm

I could have said it better myself, HWB! Updated On: 8/29/06 at 04:57 PM

colleen_lee
#66re: Ashlee Simpson Confirmed for Chicago (London); Already in Rehearsals
Posted: 8/29/06 at 5:04pm

HWB, it's not about bringing current theater fans back, it's about creating NEW theater fans. Though Simpson may get people in the seats initially, a mediocre performance is not likely to get people to go, "Hey, that was a great experience. Maybe we should check out Billy Elliot, SITPWG, etc, etc." The Weissler's are thinking too short-term, how to keep the show open now, not how to ensure that their future shows stay open longer by creating a theater fanbase which overall would be a smarter business move for them.

"You just can't win. Ever. Look at the bright side, at least you are not stuck in First Wives Club: The Musical. That would really suck. " --Sueleen Gay

mejusthavingfun
#67re: Ashlee Simpson Confirmed for Chicago (London); Already in Rehearsals
Posted: 8/29/06 at 5:05pm

colleen_lee - Also many talented Broadway "stars" leap at the chance to switch to film and recording careers. They know it's pretty much a dead-end. Look at Adam Pascals career, pathetic.

hannahshule Profile Photo
hannahshule
#68re: Ashlee Simpson Confirmed for Chicago (London); Already in Rehearsals
Posted: 8/29/06 at 5:08pm

"Roxie doesn't need to have some power chords, Renee from the Chicago film didn't really sing all that great, I mean she could carry a tune. I would imagine Simpson is the same way. Has Chicago in the West End had to stunt cast as much as the Broadway version? Seems like there's an announcement each week for some new person to join the cast of Chicago here on Bway."

The difference being, that in a large theatre, you must project and have a certain kind of presence, while in movies, the camera does all that for you.

I don't give her a chance because I know she'll fall on her face (I know, I'm awful, shoot me dead), and stunt casting is not something I tolerate.

What's next, Jessica Simpson at the Met?

~And let us try, before we die, to make some sense of life~

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#69re: Ashlee Simpson Confirmed for Chicago (London); Already in Rehearsals
Posted: 8/29/06 at 5:09pm

"I think I just threw up in my mouth a little bit."

I think I just threw up a lot, all over the floor.

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

mejusthavingfun
jimnysf
#71re: Ashlee Simpson Confirmed for Chicago (London); Already in Rehearsals
Posted: 8/29/06 at 5:11pm

"What's next, Jessica Simpson at the Met?"

LOL! hannashule wins.

"I've lost everything! Luis, Marty, my baby with Chris, Chris himself, James. All I ever wanted was love." --Sheridan Crane "Passions" ------- "Housework is like bad sex. Every time I do it, I swear I'll never do it again til the next time company comes."--"Lulu" from "Can't Stop The Music" ----- "When the right doors didn't open for him, he went through the wrong ones" - "Sweet Bird of Youth" ------------ --------- "Passions" is uncancelled! See NBC.com for more info.

Luckydave14
#72re: Ashlee Simpson Confirmed for Chicago (London); Already in Rehearsals
Posted: 8/29/06 at 5:13pm

I have seen some dreadful performances in Chicago, and those performances were of people who were not stunt casted. I do not think that casting someone like Ashlee Simpson will be horrible, for a show like Chicago. If Ashlee were to be cast in an OBC of a new musical, then I think there would be a problem. Chicago has been running for 10 years on Broadway, plus the run it had in the 70s, AND one of the most successful movie musicals of all time. At this point, most people have either seen the show or the movie and these people most likely will not go see the show again. When someone comes along like Ashlee Simpson, every teenage girl who is a fan of hers will jump at the chance to see her. This not only will promote Chicago, but would promote many other shows on Broadway as well, but in this case, the West End. I know that when I saw Usher in Chicago, the girl next to me came from California to see Usher, and she had tickets for 3 other shows because she was in town anyways.

Also keep in mind that there are about 25 people in the cast of Chicago. They are only stunt casting this ONE role. Stunt casting that one role is keeping 24 other talented people employed, plus all the backstage crew, and the orchestra, and the theatre crew, etc.

Last, I think Ashlee Simpson actually has talent. So what she was caught lip-synching. That doesn't mean she can't have talent. People say that she is a fabulous dancer, and that is very important to play Roxie. She can probably act as she was a regular on 7th Heaven. And Roxie is not a hard part to sing at all. Remember how everyone thought that Haylie Duff joining Hairspray was going to bring an end to the world? Well she actually succeeded in her role. She might not be the best Amber ever, but she wasn't bad. Ashlee has much more talent than either Duff sister. Give her a chance! (And no, I am not a fan of either Simpson, so I'm not shilling).

ThankstoPhantom
#73re: Ashlee Simpson Confirmed for Chicago (London); Already in Rehearsals
Posted: 8/29/06 at 5:13pm

The Wedding Singer, Sh!tty Chitty Bang Bang, Lennon and Lecrap.

People are not shelling out $100 for it because the latter three flopped BIG TIME, and TWS may soon join them.

How to properly use its/it's: Its is the possessive. It's is the contraction for it is...

mejusthavingfun
#74re: Ashlee Simpson Confirmed for Chicago (London); Already in Rehearsals
Posted: 8/29/06 at 5:15pm

At least now she can show off her new nose and boobs in song.

Videos