pixeltracker

A Little Priest- New extended Sweeney Todd clip- Page 3

A Little Priest- New extended Sweeney Todd clip

TomMonster Profile Photo
TomMonster
#50re: A Little Priest- New extended Sweeney Todd clip
Posted: 12/9/07 at 3:30pm

The "Ballad of Sweeney Todd" is used as underscoring (the best opening title credits you will ever see). The music is used for transitions as well. It works really well.

You don't really need it to be sung because the camera fills in the blanks. You won't really miss it! It also sound amazing with a 65 piece orchestra.

"It's not so much do what you like, as it is that you like what you do." SS

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana." GMarx

EdmundOG
#51re: A Little Priest- New extended Sweeney Todd clip
Posted: 12/9/07 at 4:30pm

"I don't share your opinion. Saw the film twice now, and still think she's smashing. Sorry. And you won't silence me from saying so."

I'm not trying to silence you. And I don't give a care if you share my opinion. You're utterly free to your opinion. But you're going around acting all superior because you like it. Liking her singing doesn't make you a better person than me.

EponineThenardier Profile Photo
EponineThenardier
#52re: A Little Priest- New extended Sweeney Todd clip
Posted: 12/9/07 at 4:31pm

LOVE Depp's final note!! YAY!

Smaxie Profile Photo
Smaxie
#53re: A Little Priest- New extended Sweeney Todd clip
Posted: 12/9/07 at 5:34pm

> But you're going around acting all superior because you like it. Liking her singing doesn't make you a better person than me.<

That's not what I'm saying. I'm as much a Sweeney Todd purist as anyone. Seeing Angela Lansbury and Len Cariou in the original production was a life-altering experience. I've greatly enjoyed Beth Fowler, Patti Lupone and many of the regional Lovetts I've seen. I was skeptical when I heard Helena Bonham Carter was doing the film. But I was very taken with her performance. It is not due to the vocals, which ARE thin and light. However, in the film, it is not a detriment. It works with her world weary, beaten down take on the character. Perhaps the full film will not make a convert of you, but to characterize her work as "bad" is just too casual and dismissive.

Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then stop.

ghostlight2
#54re: A Little Priest- New extended Sweeney Todd clip
Posted: 12/9/07 at 5:59pm

"I'm not trying to silence you".

Oddly, EdmundOG, I too would have taken: "You know what? Shut the hell up" as attempt to silence me. Can't imagine why.

Thanks for whoever posted the clip. Really look forward to seeing it tomorrow, now.

Thanks for the reviews, smaxie.

Updated On: 12/9/07 at 05:59 PM

SporkGoddess
#55re: A Little Priest- New extended Sweeney Todd clip
Posted: 12/9/07 at 6:37pm

Oh, so it all comes across better onscreen? Good, I was hoping so! Thanks for assuring me. re: A Little Priest- New extended Sweeney Todd clip I won't pronounce my final judgment until I've seen the movie.

Am I the only one who thinks that this scene should be... brighter? It's the only time in the show (I think, anyway) where Sweeney is genuinely happy. I would have brightened it up a bit because it's such a joyous occassion for him. Which is really sad, when you think about it.

Jimmy, what are you doing here in the middle of the night? It's almost 9 PM!
Updated On: 12/9/07 at 06:37 PM

EdmundOG
#56re: A Little Priest- New extended Sweeney Todd clip
Posted: 12/9/07 at 11:25pm

"Oddly, EdmundOG, I too would have taken: "You know what? Shut the hell up" as attempt to silence me. Can't imagine why."

Well, that's fair, but I wasn't trying to silence his opinion, just objecting his attitude.

jpbran Profile Photo
jpbran
#57re: A Little Priest- New extended Sweeney Todd clip
Posted: 12/13/07 at 1:56pm

The best HBC quote thus far; from Entertainment Weekly's B+ review dated 12/12/07:

"As for Mrs. Lovett, she truly is a woman of 'limited wind,' as Sondheim describes her and Bonham Carter sings her in a thin, breathy voice — it's difficult to believe that this particular bloody wonder can lift a rolling pin, let alone crank the handle on her hellish meat-grinding machinery."

I know this is sooooo beating a dead horse, but I thought it was REALLY funny.

sondheimgeek Profile Photo
sondheimgeek
#58re: A Little Priest- New extended Sweeney Todd clip
Posted: 12/13/07 at 7:59pm

I actually find HBC to not sound that breathy on the recording. She sounds great!

"Light the candles! Get the ice out! Roll the rug up, it's today!"

Roninjoey Profile Photo
Roninjoey
#59re: A Little Priest- New extended Sweeney Todd clip
Posted: 12/15/07 at 1:24am

I really adored Helena Bonham Carter in this, thought she came across better than Johnny did (the score did hurt a little in places where a bigger voice was required). Her vocals are utterly in synch with her character, a completely reimagined and sort of heart breaking Mrs. Lovett.

Let me say I was incredibly skeptical about Helena and came away totally converted. It's a terrific performance and her vocals are very enjoyable. This may not be the Sweeney Todd that will wear out your CD player but it makes a fine movie.

yr ronin,
joey

ScottyDoesn'tKnow Profile Photo
ScottyDoesn'tKnow
#60re: A Little Priest- New extended Sweeney Todd clip
Posted: 12/15/07 at 2:16am

So, when did sounding "pop" all of a sudden become real and natural and when did singing the songs the way they were written became horribly fake?

Depp's "judge on the menu" line sounds incredibly campy...just like almost every other performance I've seen of him.

"[Gore] was widely perceived as arrogant. If you know something, you're not smart. You're a smarty-pants. It's annoying. People get annoyed with your knowledge. It goes back to high school, to not doing your homework ... 'There's something I should know, I don't know why I should know it but someone knows it and I don't. So I'm going to have to make fun of him now.'" -Sarah Vowell, The Partly-Cloudy Patriot
Updated On: 12/15/07 at 02:16 AM

#61re: A Little Priest- New extended Sweeney Todd clip
Posted: 12/15/07 at 12:12pm

And we all know Sweeney isn't campy at all.

lovinlovett Profile Photo
lovinlovett
#62re: A Little Priest- New extended Sweeney Todd clip
Posted: 12/15/07 at 9:37pm

Personally I think Johnny Depp is spectacular in this movie, and he sounds great in the recordings (I love the accent)! I loved HBC in the movie but I'm still trying to get used to her voice.

cooperross Profile Photo
cooperross
#63re: A Little Priest- New extended Sweeney Todd clip
Posted: 12/15/07 at 9:57pm

having seen the film I think HBC is the weakest link in the chain.
And it has nothing to do with her singing.

-Politics is like driving. To go backward, put it in R. To go forward, put it in D.
Updated On: 12/15/07 at 09:57 PM

James885 Profile Photo
James885
#64re: A Little Priest- New extended Sweeney Todd clip
Posted: 12/15/07 at 10:00pm

This is just a small thing, but did anyone notice the CGI roaches crawling around the meat pies at about :36??? It's a nice touch and adds to the EWWWW factor.(in a good way)

"You drank a charm to kill John Proctor's wife! You drank a charm to kill Goody Proctor!" - Betty Parris to Abigail Williams in Arthur Miller's The Crucible
Updated On: 12/15/07 at 10:00 PM

bkonbroadway
#65re: A Little Priest- New extended Sweeney Todd clip
Posted: 12/15/07 at 10:12pm

Isn't Mrs. Lovett supposed to be the same age or older than Sweeney? I don't know their real ages, but HBC looks a lot younger than Johnny Depp. And as for the voice debate, yes I think her sound is the opposite of what I'd ever expect for that character. But maybe she's brilliant....I'll have to see the whole thing to make that judgement. But from what I've seen I don't know if I'm going to like her.

EponineAmneris Profile Photo
EponineAmneris
#66re: A Little Priest- New extended Sweeney Todd clip
Posted: 12/15/07 at 10:31pm

Wow... My favorite section... Now I really can't wait!!!

Course I've said that all along re: A Little Priest- New extended Sweeney Todd clip

Play nice, everyone. We're theatre people, remember? It's all subjective. People have a right to their opinion and a right not to be attacked because they have them.

It's Christmas. Let's all try and get along re: A Little Priest- New extended Sweeney Todd clip

"TO LOVE ANOTHER PERSON IS TO SEE THE FACE OF GOD"- LES MISERABLES--- "THERE'S A SPECIAL KIND OF PEOPLE KNOWN AS SHOW PEOPLE... WE'RE BORN EVERY NIGHT AT HALF HOUR CALL!"--- CURTAINS

Videos