pixeltracker

A Little Priest- New extended Sweeney Todd clip

A Little Priest- New extended Sweeney Todd clip

jpbran Profile Photo
jpbran
#1A Little Priest- New extended Sweeney Todd clip
Posted: 12/7/07 at 2:24pm

Good quality and NOT one of the IESB.com clips we've seen for a week or two...

This is a longer version of another section of A Little Priest. Depp sounds great, and the number looks very well staged, but Carter sounds a little weak, to put it mildly. She improves as the clip goes on, but this was the first time I'd really agreed with others' opinions that she's a vocal weak link. Sounds like she's straining to hit notes she just can't...

"Shepherd's pie peppered with actual shepherd on top..." sounds like a little girl whisper-singing it, especially in contrast to Depp's surprisingly strong presence (and decent vibrato).

Still like her though! (She's weak, but I wouldn't say "bad" or "painful.")

http://www.mtv.com/overdrive/?id=1575869&vid=193912

(And I did search and didn't find this posted...)
Updated On: 12/7/07 at 02:24 PM

Yankeefan007
#2re: A Little Priest- New extended Sweeney Todd clip
Posted: 12/7/07 at 2:36pm

Depp sounds great.

Mythus
#2re: A Little Priest- New extended Sweeney Todd clip
Posted: 12/7/07 at 2:39pm

Depp sounds amazing next to her. Not that he's terrible, but...she just makes him sound a hundred times better. And he completely drowns her out on the last "all". Can't even hear that she's singing.

Come on, Helena, breathe from your hoo-hoo.

Smaxie Profile Photo
Smaxie
#3re: A Little Priest- New extended Sweeney Todd clip
Posted: 12/7/07 at 2:48pm

Just... let... the singing ... go. She's great in the film.

Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then stop.

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#4re: A Little Priest- New extended Sweeney Todd clip
Posted: 12/7/07 at 2:52pm

Oh enough about Helena's singing. She sounds perfectly fine in the movie. Burton has said in interviews that his goal was to take the "Broadway" out of the material. Rather than doing a LuPone belting to the rafters, she sounds like an actual weary woman singing in her kitchen. All of the singing in the film is this way - its a naturalistic approach to the material and it works in context fabulously.

James885 Profile Photo
James885
#5re: A Little Priest- New extended Sweeney Todd clip
Posted: 12/7/07 at 2:58pm

I've no problem with Carter's singing voice. Yeah, her voice is a little on the weak side but she certainly doesn't sound bad in any of the clips I've seen. And her voice has actually grown on me the more that I listen to her. I think her singing works best within the context of the film.

"You drank a charm to kill John Proctor's wife! You drank a charm to kill Goody Proctor!" - Betty Parris to Abigail Williams in Arthur Miller's The Crucible
Updated On: 12/7/07 at 02:58 PM

pab Profile Photo
pab
#6re: A Little Priest- New extended Sweeney Todd clip
Posted: 12/7/07 at 2:59pm

I am not a all bothered with Carter's singing. Some people will nit pick at anything. See the full film first, watch her in context with everything else she does with the character and then comment.

"Smart! And into all those exotic mystiques -- The Kama Sutra and Chinese techniques. I hear she knows more than seventy-five. Call me tomorrow if you're still alive!"

bwayguy22089
#7re: A Little Priest- New extended Sweeney Todd clip
Posted: 12/7/07 at 3:12pm

I think she actually has a very pretty voice. Its nice and different from many of the others who have played the part in the past (not that any of them are bad by any means...just different re: A Little Priest- New extended Sweeney Todd clip

artscallion Profile Photo
artscallion
#8re: A Little Priest- New extended Sweeney Todd clip
Posted: 12/7/07 at 3:21pm

I think she sounds fine. As has been stated, I don't think it's intended for any of them to sound Broadway caliber, or even what we'd consider good. She seems to fit the movie just fine. I think it's more important that she fit the movie than sing well.

Art has a double face, of expression and illusion.

trinaaron Profile Photo
trinaaron
#9re: A Little Priest- New extended Sweeney Todd clip
Posted: 12/7/07 at 3:26pm

I agree. I like her voice in the clip. I find it interesting that she sounds kind of sweet and gentle, while the subject matter is so grisly.

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#10re: A Little Priest- New extended Sweeney Todd clip
Posted: 12/7/07 at 3:33pm

This is film not stage.

If the film's Mrs. Lovett were singing it ala LuPone, you'd have a headache before her first song was over.

Even Lansbury's original was more subdued than power-Broadway LuPone's attack to the material.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#11re: A Little Priest- New extended Sweeney Todd clip
Posted: 12/7/07 at 3:57pm

I was told the "Wait, true we don't have judge yet, but would you settle for the next best thing?" line was kept. Where was it? re: A Little Priest- New extended Sweeney Todd clip
Updated On: 12/7/07 at 03:57 PM

EganFan2
#12re: A Little Priest- New extended Sweeney Todd clip
Posted: 12/7/07 at 4:06pm

I see both sides of the voice debate. I was sorely disappointed in the Phantom cast (with the exception of Patrick Wilson) because the Phantom was supposed to pass for an angel and didn't, and Christine was supposed to believeably make an opera audience rise to its feet.

However, a more naturalistic style of singing makes sense for this movie. None of the characters are "supposed" to sound a certain way. I see why people might want a stronger singing voice, though, just because the music is demanding, and just as beloved by some as ALW's score is by others, and back in the heyday of movie musicals, they either used people from Broadway or dubbed them.
Updated On: 12/7/07 at 04:06 PM

zooxanthellae Profile Photo
zooxanthellae
#13re: A Little Priest- New extended Sweeney Todd clip
Posted: 12/7/07 at 4:08pm

That sounds/looks really good! Although I'm a little disappointed that so much has been cut from "A Little Priest" (as far as what I've seen/heard)....

TomMonster Profile Photo
TomMonster
#14re: A Little Priest- New extended Sweeney Todd clip
Posted: 12/7/07 at 4:28pm

Carter is perfectly wonderful in the film. Her style of singing suits the film.

Be aware that none of the duets in the film were recorded together. Everyone recorded separately and did not even hear the parts together until the shoot.

Also, during "Worst Pies" the visuals are so stunning and hilarious her voice will be the last thing you'll be worrying about.

"It's Priest" works the same way. Visually stunning and howlingly funny.

I think Depp and Carter sound great together. Wait till you hear how good Depp and Rickman sound!! "Pretty Women" is terrific!

"It's not so much do what you like, as it is that you like what you do." SS

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana." GMarx
Updated On: 12/7/07 at 04:28 PM

Mythus
#15re: A Little Priest- New extended Sweeney Todd clip
Posted: 12/7/07 at 4:43pm

I've said nothing about whether or not her singing will work in the movie. I just don't like the way it sounds, regardless of context or intention.

jpbran Profile Photo
jpbran
#16re: A Little Priest- New extended Sweeney Todd clip
Posted: 12/7/07 at 5:58pm

"See the full film first, watch her in context with everything else she does with the character and then comment"

In that case, "Dreamamount" needs to stop releasing clips. The point of the clips is to build buzz and start discussion. There's no "Only POSITIVE Comments" rule attached. These clips are released online largely for this purpose-- to get stuff brewing on the message boards at little/no cost to the studio.

And to be honest, a lot of my (minor) problem with her vocals goes beyond her actual voice. She and Depp actually sound like they're in different movies, recorded in different studios, or engineered by different studio personnel.

mauriposa
#17re: A Little Priest- New extended Sweeney Todd clip
Posted: 12/7/07 at 6:17pm

Ya'll need to stop teasing me. Give me the damn film already.

I'm love, love, loving this interpretation. It's smooth and natural. I think this might be the first film adaptation in a long time that I'm actually on board with the whole cast.

#18re: A Little Priest- New extended Sweeney Todd clip
Posted: 12/7/07 at 6:26pm

I love the voices...I just wish they would crack a smile though with some of their lines. They ARE being funny with one another.

Smaxie Profile Photo
Smaxie
#19re: A Little Priest- New extended Sweeney Todd clip
Posted: 12/7/07 at 6:30pm

They could release the whole film online, and I wouldn't expect certain individuals to stop complaining about the quality of Helena Bonham Carter's singing voice, or for it to stop once the film is released. It's a light, breathy voice. It will always be so. Some people won't see past it. They can just hug the original Broadway cast album and the '82 national tour DVD tightly to their chests 'til they die. It didn't bother me for a minute watching the film. I didn't even think about it. And after seeing many Mrs. Lovetts over the years, Carter surprised me, taking an approach I hadn't really seen before. It's her performance most of all that has stuck with me. But it won't be bombastic and brassy enough for some. Too bad for them.

Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then stop.

jpbran Profile Photo
jpbran
#20re: A Little Priest- New extended Sweeney Todd clip
Posted: 12/7/07 at 6:36pm

Ugh... I wasn't saying I need "bombastic" or "brassy" or "belty." And I'm not clinging to any past productions. (I've seen it on Broadway, at the Lyric Opera/Chicago, and in little black-box theaters with only semi-professional actors, and liked the whole range of them)

I just kept wondering if Sweeney would even be able to hear her across the room in the early parts of the clip.

And yet, I still like her!!! People don't need to get so defensive. re: A Little Priest- New extended Sweeney Todd clip

lovinlovett Profile Photo
lovinlovett
#21re: A Little Priest- New extended Sweeney Todd clip
Posted: 12/7/07 at 6:45pm

I'm loving this clip right now...thanks!

Yes, I do wish they were clowning around with each other a tiny bit more in the movie but it's a very minor criticism believe me. I just love it!

I was blown away by "Worst Pies in London". It really turned out to be hysterical and Helena pulled it off very well!
Updated On: 12/7/07 at 06:45 PM

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#22re: A Little Priest- New extended Sweeney Todd clip
Posted: 12/7/07 at 6:51pm

"And he completely drowns her out on the last "all". Can't even hear that she's singing."

That's because it isn't the harmony from the stage show. They're singing the same note. Her note. In unison.

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

Mythus
#23re: A Little Priest- New extended Sweeney Todd clip
Posted: 12/7/07 at 7:18pm

I thought that might be it, but I wasn't sure if it was the music, a hint of her voice, or my imagination that was making me hear the last note of the harmony. Probably my imagination wanting to hear it. I just assumed they would do the whole harmony, since she starts out the line with it.

morosco Profile Photo
morosco
#24re: A Little Priest- New extended Sweeney Todd clip
Posted: 12/7/07 at 7:27pm

Damn. That politician is oilier than I ever imagined!

Videos