pixeltracker

Leading Actress in a Musical!- Page 3

Leading Actress in a Musical!

A Fleur De Toi Profile Photo
A Fleur De Toi
#50re: Leading Actress in a Musical!
Posted: 6/14/08 at 9:44am

was wondering what advantages accrue to the winner of tony awards, i mean other than the obvious publicity and reward for hard work etc. Do they reap financial benefit for instance?

Are Tony Award winners more likely to be asked to originate new shows?

In Soviet Russia, Wicked hates you too!

mattonstage Profile Photo
mattonstage
#51re: Leading Actress in a Musical!
Posted: 6/14/08 at 10:26am

I was discussing with some friends about who would be this year's LaChanze. 2 years ago, the battle seemed to be between Patti and Sutton, and LaChanze won. This year, conventional wisdom is Patti and Kelli, so, could Kerri, Jenna or Faith be this years LaChanze? Just posing the question.

I killed the boss, you don't think they're gonna fire me over a thing like that!!!!

iluvny04 Profile Photo
iluvny04
#52re: Leading Actress in a Musical!
Posted: 6/14/08 at 2:08pm

how can anyone compare any of the others to the performance Patti Lupone gives as Mama Rose?

Simple, maybe they think that the others are giving better performances than Patti and even though she may be giving a knockout performance to some it seems like they have had their fill of Gypsy and want sdomething new. Gypsy is a great show don't get me wrong, I still think it was too soon for another revival from 2003-2008 is 5 years and (please don't start bashing me for this) maybe the voters thought the same and this just my own opinion but maybe Patti losing is a good thing cause to some the greatest Roses are the ones who lost Merman, Peters and now maybe Patti or maybe not. Tony or not all ladies in this category are giving great performances and each deserve an award in their own right, but there can only be one hopefully its Kelli, but who knows maybe Jenna or Kerry will be the Lachanze of the evening and take everyone by surprise.

BoundToFlound
#53re: Leading Actress in a Musical!
Posted: 6/14/08 at 2:34pm

SERIOUSLY!! Patti is a shoe in, and in my opinion NO ONE has deserved a Tony more in YEARS!! Plus, she only has ONE other Tony! Kind of absurd for the Grand Dame not to have bookend Tony's dontcha think? You don't even have to like her to agree that it is weird she only has one!!

H.Higgins Profile Photo
H.Higgins
#54re: Leading Actress in a Musical!
Posted: 6/14/08 at 2:44pm

-- "even though she may be giving a knockout performance to some it seems like they have had their fill of Gypsy and want sdomething new. Gypsy is a great show don't get me wrong, I still think it was too soon for another revival..."

Okay, seriously? Now you're going to claim that she doesn't deserve the recognition because this Gypsy revival was too soon after the last one? My God, this is absurd. That has nothing to do with whether her performance is considered the best one by an actress in a musical this season!

It's been made very clear (although fairly incoherently) that you want Ms. O'Hara to win. That's great. Really, it is. But you can probably stop searching for ludicrous reasons and suggestions as to why Ms. LuPone is undeserving.

Because in actuality, she IS deserving and, fortunately, the individuals who can actually make good on it seem to know that. For instance: the Drama Desk voters, the Drama League voters (hell, they gave her the award in a category with 70 performers), and the Outer Critics Circle voters. It's likely that the Tony voters know the same.

But then again, that's only been confirmed by ALL the pundits in the industry. So I'm just crazy for thinking Ms. LuPone has the Tony and deservedly so, right?
Updated On: 6/14/08 at 02:44 PM

BroadwayBound115 Profile Photo
BroadwayBound115
#55re: Leading Actress in a Musical!
Posted: 6/14/08 at 5:38pm

I really hope Patti wins. However Kelli and Kerry are really fantastic. Same with Jenna Russell. They are all winners....just some more than others. CoughPATTILUPONECough

H.Higgins Profile Photo
H.Higgins
#56re: Leading Actress in a Musical!
Posted: 6/14/08 at 5:41pm

-- "I really hope Patti wins. However Kelli and Kerry are really fantastic. Same with Jenna Russell. They are all winners....just some more than others. CoughPATTILUPONECough"

I completely agree, BroadwayBound.

dancingthrulife04 Profile Photo
dancingthrulife04
#57re: Leading Actress in a Musical!
Posted: 6/14/08 at 5:53pm

I'd really love to see Jenna Russell take it home. (I'm also heading toward broken record status, but whatever).

http://www.beintheheights.com/katnicole1 (Please click and help me win!) I chose, and my world was shaken- So what?
The choice may have been mistaken, The choosing was not...
"Every day has the potential to be the greatest day of your life." - Lin-Manuel Miranda
"And when Idina Menzel is singing, I'm always slightly worried that her teeth are going to jump out of her mouth and chase me." - Schmerg_the_Impaler

bwaybabe2
#58re: Leading Actress in a Musical!
Posted: 6/14/08 at 8:13pm

My vote has been for O'Hara, up to now. But, after seeing Kerry Butler perform this AM, and some excerpts from Xanadu, I think she also would deserve it...
OMG, could it be I am slowly becoming a Xanadu fan?! =O

iluvny04 Profile Photo
iluvny04
#59re: Leading Actress in a Musical!
Posted: 6/15/08 at 7:41pm

Updated On: 6/15/08 at 07:41 PM

iluvny04 Profile Photo
iluvny04
#60re: Leading Actress in a Musical!
Posted: 6/15/08 at 7:41pm

-- "even though she may be giving a knockout performance to some it seems like they have had their fill of Gypsy and want sdomething new. Gypsy is a great show don't get me wrong, I still think it was too soon for another revival..."

Okay, seriously? Now you're going to claim that she doesn't deserve the recognition because this Gypsy revival was too soon after the last one? My God, this is absurd. That has nothing to do with whether her performance is considered the best one by an actress in a musical this season!

It's been made very clear (although fairly incoherently) that you want Ms. O'Hara to win. That's great. Really, it is. But you can probably stop searching for ludicrous reasons and suggestions as to why Ms. LuPone is undeserving.

Because in actuality, she IS deserving and, fortunately, the individuals who can actually make good on it seem to know that. For instance: the Drama Desk voters, the Drama League voters (hell, they gave her the award in a category with 70 performers), and the Outer Critics Circle voters. It's likely that the Tony voters know the same.

But then again, that's only been confirmed by ALL the pundits in the industry. So I'm just crazy for thinking Ms. LuPone has the Tony and deservedly so, right

I know it might seem strange, but you never know, the voters could feel thatw ay, but I am not physic and I do not know how the voters minds work. Yes I want to Kelli, but now (its probably way too late) I still the element of surprise to be in this category still have anticpation instead of feeling like okay its actress its patti's award...next. Just becuase she has won all outside awrds is no clear indication that she will the Tony, it ups her chances, but it is not and I repeat is not a guarantee and if patti doesn't win so what, its she said the bottom is only plastic. I don't want to admit but if Kelli loses, remember if then I too should remember that statement, but til then go Kelli!!! Plus if you read the Philly Inquirer the chief drama critic says that they voted for Patti, but also says not to count the other contenders out, which is what I am doing and if you don't like too bad. If you have every right to say Patti has it in the f***ed bag, I have every reason to say the opposite.

Updated On: 6/15/08 at 07:41 PM

BroadwayBelle2 Profile Photo
BroadwayBelle2
#61re: Leading Actress in a Musical!
Posted: 6/16/08 at 12:10am

She won!!!!!!!!!!!

brad3 Profile Photo
brad3
#62re: Leading Actress in a Musical!
Posted: 6/16/08 at 12:14am

O'Hara deserved the Tony... She should have won for Light in the Piazza.

ahmelie Profile Photo
ahmelie
#63re: Leading Actress in a Musical!
Posted: 6/16/08 at 12:21am

Iluvny04, I hope you cried.

Sorry if that's mean, but God, does it feel good.

Theatre is a safe place to do the unsafe things that need to be done. -John Patrick Shanley

ChiSquared62
#64re: Leading Actress in a Musical!
Posted: 6/16/08 at 12:37am

I was rooting for Kerry...and how adorable was she when the camera panned to her for the nominations? In my opinion, she deserved it a lot more than Patti did. Patti is completely overrated, again IMO. *ducks rotten tomatoes* I did not like her performance tonight, either - her enunciation drives me up the wall. And I really don't get why everyone worships her...

Default = the beautiful and talented Leisha Hailey

haddaddy3 Profile Photo
haddaddy3
#65re: Leading Actress in a Musical!
Posted: 6/16/08 at 12:44am

All of you Patti haters are insane. Her peformance tonight was unparalleled and she truly deserved it, as she said, after 28 years. The others will have their chance, but Mama Rose is the role of Patti's career.

You look absolutely terrific, honestly.

bwaybabe2
#66re: Leading Actress in a Musical!
Posted: 6/16/08 at 12:59am

After 28 years, her game cannot be that shabby... Patti had some good competition (I still rooted for Kelli), but she deserves her Tony.
Apparently, the critics thought enough of the 3 main performances in Gypsy, when Laura and Boyd also got their "little men" re: Leading Actress in a Musical!

iluvny04 Profile Photo
iluvny04
#67re: Leading Actress in a Musical!
Posted: 6/16/08 at 9:21am

I did not cry, I knew the chances of upset were slim after Patti's performance, damn she was good. I'm still a bit upset that Kelli, but in a way best revival of musical makes up for it and its not like SP went home empty handed 7 awards impressive.

Videos