pixeltracker

The Official Ace Musical Thread- Page 3

The Official Ace Musical Thread

DottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
#50re: The Official Ace Musical Thread
Posted: 8/28/08 at 2:19pm

I'm thinking about seeing this. I was walking by Ticketplace in DC this afternoon and it was up for this evening.

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany

tookcharge
#51re: The Official Ace Musical Thread
Posted: 8/28/08 at 4:34pm

In no way did I want to discourage or delay anyone from seeing this show. As I said, I enjoyed it and look forward to seeing it again.

matty159 Profile Photo
matty159
#52re: The Official Ace Musical Thread
Posted: 8/28/08 at 4:40pm

Worry not, I am not discouraged. As I will probably only get the opportunity to see it once though, I would rather wait a bit to see if they work on it to iron out some of things noted as problematic.

jordangirl Profile Photo
jordangirl
#53re: The Official Ace Musical Thread
Posted: 8/28/08 at 4:58pm

Definitely not discouraged. :) I'm excited still.

Experience live theater. Experience paintings. Experience books. Live, look and listen like artists! ~ imaginethis
LIVE THAT LESSON!!!!!!

kec Profile Photo
kec
#54re: The Official Ace Musical Thread
Posted: 8/28/08 at 5:39pm

I'm not discouraged either.

DianaSLamar
#55re: The Official Ace Musical Thread
Posted: 8/28/08 at 9:54pm

I will be in the audience Saturday Afternoon! Anyone care to join?

jordangirl Profile Photo
jordangirl
#56re: The Official Ace Musical Thread
Posted: 8/28/08 at 9:58pm

I was told there was only a Saturday night show when I called a couple of weeks ago. Did that change?

(Ticketmaster also only lists Saturday at 8pm.)

Experience live theater. Experience paintings. Experience books. Live, look and listen like artists! ~ imaginethis
LIVE THAT LESSON!!!!!!
Updated On: 8/28/08 at 09:58 PM

DianaSLamar
#57re: The Official Ace Musical Thread
Posted: 8/28/08 at 10:00pm

ah **** that's right. Sorry. Saturday night it is then.

jordangirl Profile Photo
jordangirl
#58re: The Official Ace Musical Thread
Posted: 8/28/08 at 10:01pm

I'm there. :) Ticket already purchased. Can't wait!

LIVE THAT LESSON!!!!!!

kec Profile Photo
kec
#59re: The Official Ace Musical Thread
Posted: 8/28/08 at 10:03pm

I'll be there Saturday night as well. re: The Official Ace Musical Thread
Updated On: 8/28/08 at 10:03 PM

jordangirl Profile Photo
jordangirl
#60re: The Official Ace Musical Thread
Posted: 8/28/08 at 10:04pm

Awesome! :)

LIVE THAT LESSON!!!!!!

musicalmaster703 Profile Photo
musicalmaster703
#61re: The Official Ace Musical Thread
Posted: 8/28/08 at 11:19pm

Just got back it was FANTASTIC!!!!!!!!!! I'll post a review by Saterday!

somuchtodo
#62re: The Official Ace Musical Thread
Posted: 8/29/08 at 8:47am

So glad you loved it! Can't wait to hear your thoughts.

To "stagedoor" this theater, hang out in the lobby. Actors exit from a set of doors toward the left.

kec Profile Photo
kec
#63re: The Official Ace Musical Thread
Posted: 8/29/08 at 9:20am

To the left as you come out of the Max?

somuchtodo
#64re: The Official Ace Musical Thread
Posted: 8/29/08 at 10:18am

When facing the stage doors, there is a blackbox theater all the way to your left. The next set of doors (to the right) is where the actors usually exit.

jordangirl Profile Photo
jordangirl
#66re: The Official Ace Musical Thread
Posted: 8/29/08 at 4:35pm

kec ~ I know where it is. :) Hang with me Saturday night.

LIVE THAT LESSON!!!!!!

KChenowethfan Profile Photo
KChenowethfan
#67re: The Official Ace Musical Thread
Posted: 8/29/08 at 4:48pm

Here's to hoping you can avoid the Emily Skinner stalkers at the stage door.

"Why do you care what people might say? Why try to fit into their design?" (Side Show)

Magica Profile Photo
Magica
#68re: The Official Ace Musical Thread
Posted: 8/29/08 at 5:08pm

looks like they're already major tweaks happening. according to the sig blog:

"Today is a big day. We’re adding a new opening, a new second number, character deletions from the show, internal cuts in scenes and songs, along with some restaging. We're all pumped for the changes and for the show tonight. Last night, actors were given new lyrics to memorize for today and that included some new music. "

http://sigtheatre.blogspot.com/

kec Profile Photo
kec
#69re: The Official Ace Musical Thread
Posted: 8/29/08 at 5:32pm

Thanks, Jordangirl... I'll be in the front row #105.

jordangirl Profile Photo
jordangirl
#70re: The Official Ace Musical Thread
Posted: 8/29/08 at 5:33pm

Awesome! I'm in the front row 114.

LIVE THAT LESSON!!!!!!

Gloryday225 Profile Photo
Gloryday225
#71re: The Official Ace Musical Thread
Posted: 8/29/08 at 6:01pm

I'm selling an Ace ticket for Sept. 6 at 2pm, row B off to the side (but only a little bit). I'm DESPERATE- I bought it for $69 but I'll negotiate a lower price if anyone's interested because I really just need to get rid of it and gain some sort of profit in return. I was so excited to see the show but I can't go anymore, and I'd rather not be out $70 AND not be able to see the show. This is just depressing. So please, if anyone's interested, PM me. And for those living outside of DC- USE MEGABUS. It's incredibly cheap and pretty easy, so getting there won't be a hassle.

... please :)

Brandy_Breath
#72re: The Official Ace Musical Thread
Posted: 8/30/08 at 10:08am

jordangirl, I rushed last night and got that seat! You are one seat off of front row center. It was amazing.

Few thoughts... that have some spoilers.
Ace was taken out of the first act. I've never seen the show, but I really thought it worked and built up the suspension (sp? or even the right word?).

Jim - he has the best song in the whole show - In these Skies. I love it. He was really good.

Emily - Okay, so at the Signature Open House I was so disappointed by her and her set there, I was a little afraid. She changed my opinion around 100%. Perfect comedic timing. There was one section of the show, that is basically just Emily, that at seems not to fit but I would NEVER cut it because it is so freaking funny.

Christiane - I... didn't like her. She sang the show as if she was singing a Opera.

Jill - wowa. Once she got out of her zombie state, she was freaking amazing.

I hate little children with a passion, especially on stage, but I didn't here. I loved the little boy who played Danny and the girl who played Emily. Danny annoyed me at first because he had a lisp but then I realized he lost a tooth so I found it kinda cute then. Emily was just cute and funny as hell.

I don't really want to post much else so I don't spoil it for anybody but there were mic issues again (though they always seem to solve it soon at the Signature) and I wished that John Roberts would die the same way Ace did, in the middle of the stage on the platform that raises up and down and sideways.

Avatar ~ Jesse JP Johnson as Jack in Glory Days.
Ben Crawford dot Com

jordangirl Profile Photo
jordangirl
#73re: The Official Ace Musical Thread
Posted: 8/30/08 at 1:04pm

Yay yay! :) Just checked into my hotel!! :)

Thanks for the review Brandy! :) I was familiar with the general story, so there weren't really any spoilers for me...but it's great to warn those who don't know a lot about it.

kec ~ Looks from the blog like we might be seeing the first performance of the "frozen" show! (I'll be able to confirm on Sunday about that!) Very exciting!!!!

Ok...gonna either go swim or take a long hot shower. Something to chill and relax before getting ready!

LIVE THAT LESSON!!!!!!

Spider Woman
#74re: The Official Ace Musical Thread
Posted: 8/30/08 at 9:32pm

Saw it Friday night and think that they have already made changes to the production that really work. Sure, it still needs tweaking, but it was a good show.

Things that worked:
the kids. I , like Brandy Breath, hate child actors, but these tow have serious talent.If for no other reason, come see the show to see this little girl. The direction they have received is awesome. A big thumbs up for the naturalness to their performance - no overacting or screachy vocals.

Jim Stanek - a voice that melts butter and the "All American Boy Next Door" look he is perfect for this role.

Emily Skinner- OMG. Didn't care for her concert at Signature's Open House, but... her performance here is great. Her expressions are spot on. The one part of the show that seems a it out of place is her scene, but to cut it would be a mistake because it is hilarious ( and she wears THE cutest shoes ever).

Jill Paice- wow. Just wow. She comes alive in the second act and...wow.

What didn't work so well:
Christianne Noll - her vocalizations are way too opera-ish. This is especially true when she sings with Jim Stanek. he has to try to match her and... it is a shame. They realllly need to do something about her.

The planes - they look like silver metal ironing boards. Perhaps if they built them up a bit on the sides to resemble cockpits???

Jim Stanek's character needs to die in the same manner as Ace does in Act 2- on the rising, flexible platform center stage. It would add a bit of needed intensity to Act 1.

Having said all that, Ace is a great story. It takes its time unfolding in front of you. It is not in the style of, say, Wicked ( theatre for the ADD crowd - and yes, I like it, too, so don't get your panties in a wad). Ace was , to me, more in the style of Grey Gardens where after Act 1, I thought that it was good; probably didn't need to see it again, but it is good. Then, in Act 2, it all makes sense as the story is revealed and I was left bawling.I have discovered that when I go see a show, I like to go in with minimal knowledge so that I can sit there and let it all happen before my eyes. I form my own opinions and let the story happen. Knowing the plot or all the songs, taints it for me. Ace did not disappoint. I will go see it again in it's "final" form to see what tweaks have been tweaked - and I will bring a tissue.

Videos